University of Phoenixfraud and scam

P

On the day of my eighteenth birthday, I was contacted by a Ms. Patricia Takahashi, an enrollment counselor for the University of Phoenix (“UoP"). During a phone conversation, Ms. Takahashi told of endless possibilities that a UoP degree would provide for my future. While I did not have time to attend a traditional university at the time, I thought it could be a possibility that I would be able to make time to attend the UoP, especially since Ms. Takahashi promised that the UoP's schedule would work around my schedule. Therefore, I stepped away from my guests, there to celebrate my birthday with me, to complete the application process with Ms. Takahashi. After a few days, I was notified by Ms. Takahashi that everything looked okay at which point she gave me an intended “start date" for my course.

A few days after this, I called Ms. Takahashi to notify her that unfortunately, I did not feel it was the best time for me to be attending college. Being that my personal life is just that, personal, I simply told her that several unfortunate events had made me feel that it was not in my best interest at to pursue a degree at the time. Over the next several days, I spoke not only to Ms. Takahashi, but also with her supervisor, discussing the possibilities of a later start date. During these phone conversations, my personal matters were pushed aside as mere insecurities, and both Ms. Takahashi and her supervisor told me that if I did not continue with my degree now, that I may never be able to get it. They told me of how my decision not to continue with enrollment in the UoP could ruin my future, and limit my possibilities. These conversations only added to the confusion that was my life at the time, just having graduated from high school, finally turning eighteen, on top of all of my other personal matters which I was dealing with at the time including divorcing parents and the death of a very close relative, I was truly in a vulnerable state of mind. The UoP took full advantage of this vulnerability and through their deception finally persuaded me to continue with enrollment.

Finally, my intended “start date" rolled around, and I was able to login to the “classroom", at which time I found myself to be utterly disappointed. It was nothing of what Ms. Takahashi had promised, what I expected to be an exciting, learning filled, educational environment, turned out to be nothing more than a glorified social forum, an online message board. Though anyone with a basic knowledge of the web and access to a bulletin board script could create a better environment, I at this point decided that I would not be hasty and immediately withdraw from enrollment, but would give the university a few days, so that I could see how “class" was conducted.

After observing for a few days, it became blatantly obvious that this “learning environment" was nothing of what I was promised nor was the schedule as flexible as promised. I therefore called Ms. Takahashi immediately, less than one week into my course, to let her know I wished to withdraw. I was assured that withdrawing so early in the course would not impose any financial obligations other than that of possibly a few minor application fees, none of which would be exceedingly large.

Months later, I began receive statements from the UoP stating I owed an outstanding balance of $1012.25 a sum which I felt was inaccurate to the actual amount of time I spent enrolled, especially given the fact that their services were drastically misrepresented. I sent letters disputing this amount but was told they are never received even though they were sent certified mail. A collection agency, RP Solutions called my home on numerous occasions and gave relatives information regarding this alleged debt demanding it be paid, I am still shocked they were so freely able to give out anything that could be my personal information. I then began receive threats of my credit being effected, I spent months battling this getting no where, and finally gave up on the cause. Recently I received a credit report, and sure enough the University of Phoenix is on it.

After months of fighting, I had pushed this aside as a losing battle, that is, until their name showed up on my credit report. I decided if I can't do anything else, I can warn others who may consider enrolling in the University of Phoenix and advise them to be very careful with what they believe. I cannot use the word liars in regards to the faculty of the University of Phoenix, as that would be an understatement. Make your decisions wisely and don't get ripped-off like I did.

• Re
    Reliable Chick Jun 13, 2013

Someone took out a student loan in my name for this University...im going thru, trying to get them to take it off..lets see how this goes

• Di
    Diva Supreme Dec 21, 2012

Can anyone please help me with how to settle my debt with UOP and get my transcript?

• Br
    Brangus Jun 30, 2011

I have read so many of these posts of people who have been with UOP for a year or two. Some good, most bad. Let me tell you all, I have been with UOP since January of 2006 off and on. I have received my BSB/M there and am currently enrolled to receive my MBA. Needless to say, I have a lot of experience with this organization. IT IS A JOKE!!! I have never experienced such poor service or compliance in my life. Those of you who have had financial problems with them, I feel you. If you have credits on your account, they hold it hostage! Also, you may choose to manage your own funds, but good luck with that. They WILL NOT let you. They will lie and continually say that they have not received your affidavit or release. Not only did it take UOP 5 months to finally apply for my TA (I have the M.G.I. Bill so they already have their money and no-longer care) but once it hit my account as a credit they refuse to release the money even though I am in perfect standing with the school. I was just informed today that legally they have 14 days to release credited funds and I am seriously considering seeking counsel on this matter. Any suggestions??????

• St
    student of life Jun 10, 2011

I am yet another addition to the long list of complaints against UOP. The do feed you crap and tell you it is steak. Of the numerous problems I have encountered the most disheartening is the fact that the school functions like a crime syndicate. No one knows anything or has access to any information when a problem needs to be rectified. Its like a crime show where the sheriff is at the door and they pull close the blinds and act like we're not home. I can attest to the facts presented by many of the people's complaints, I have experienced a total breakdown in professionalism during my attendance from six financial advisers (credit agents) in the past year to strong arm robbery of funds. I have been told by an adviser undocumented on my account (1 of three) that they will drop me from my classes if I don't agree to what they want to do with my financial aid that is not owed to them. How do I know who this person is or where they came from and why should I let him talk to me like a thug. Despite my objections I was told by this person that he would just drop me from my classes and I would not be able to attend another school while I have a balance with UOP. Less than 8 hours later my funds are on my account and have been completely absorbed by UOP despite a payment arrangement for two classes I repeated (FA does not cover repeated classes or a back balance but they used the funds to pay it off). A financial adviser is expected to be there for the best interest of the student but how is that possible if they are hand selected by the corporation. And like the comment above I can handle my own money. At this point I could lose my eligibility for FA altogether for misuse of funds that I did not authorize. While I should be focused on course work I am battling the system for proper business practices to be upheld. So much for the benefits of school at home. I absolutely hate to complain but it has gone way to far and is just getting worse as I progress toward completion. I have seen all the instances complained about first hand (outside of working for them) and have extended benefit of the doubt but at this point I am starting a suit against the frivolous practices of UOP.

• Br
    britt2011 May 02, 2011

while i was at uop it seemed like an ok school until i decided i wanted to manage my own funds. I was only getting loans though they did not send me grants. My grant covered 2 online classes but they didnt post it to my account for almost 2 months and by then my adviser told me i had like 10 days until i would have to send my loan money back it was crazy because my balance had been 0 for almost 2 weeks but my adviser told me i had to wait to get back into class by the time he emailed me it said you owe 2.700 because i took to long to take another class when actually he made me wait i was so confused i called them and he said it had been 28 days that i didnt take a class when i said that my adviser told me to wait they hung up on me and now im getting calls saying that uop sent me to collections this is the worst school experience ever and i have no clue what to do

• Je
    Jeremiah29:11 Sep 09, 2010

UOP is a rip off! I enrolled and attended only one class and now being charged $330! For one class which I withdrew from the next day! They are a total rip off and are just for profit. One friend who was going to enroll decided not to because they were pressuring her and telling her pretty much that she was arrogant if she didn't enroll in their institution. She told them that she shouldn't be pressured to do something she wasn't comfortable with. They were very rude to her and now I know I did the right thing by withdrawing the next day. Even though it's still going to cost me $330. When I called Financial Aid they told me that I shouldn't have to pay for one day, and should call this number to complain. [protected]. At first I was told for one class it was going to be $220 and the financial person from UOP sent me a bill through email for the $330. They were trying to charge me $96 for the E-book which I never ever opened online!!!

• Jj
    J. James Jul 28, 2010

I'm glad you wrote this, Bernard. I have a Master's Degree from a top traditional University and b/c of the economy, the last co. I worked for went out of business. Also, due to the economy there are not very good employment positions out there now; most of them are from low quality for - profit "higher education" institutions that are promising future enrollees the sun, moon and stars to those who do not have a degree or a job. UoP is one of these, and they are equal to vultures taking advantage of unsuspecting prey. I have come to this conclusion, b/c I had applied for a position as an Enrollment Counselor and then decided not to move forward w/ the interview process, after realizing what a low-quality school they are. It's all about sales, not quality education. The "Manager" even admitted, during the interview, that many of their students who enroll do not make it to graduation, and his goal was to retain students, however, not for THEIR sake, but for the sake of his department and making UoP look better to the public than it does. Now if this is the exact opposite of true dedication to education for all. They are a "degree" mill and they do not care one bit about whether or not their students are able to obtain employment afterwards. And yes, I have seen employment postings that say: "B.A./M.A. required from an accredited, traditional University." Sorry folks, sure there are people out there who don't have the education and are lucky to be making a good income, but, as my Dad said: "They can take away your job, but NO ONE can take away your education from a QUALITY University." I have worked w/ people who do not have degrees and w/ people who do, and I'm sorry, it's a different caliber of person if one has had the great experience of earning a degree at a quality four year University. It's a different mentality.
    Good luck to all.

• Dl
    DLDado Jul 23, 2010

Sorry I forgot to mention these are the complaints processed by the BBB

7 regarding Advertising Issues
    1 regarding Advertised terms not honored
    1 regarding Advertisement misrepresented a service
    5 regarding Advertising Issues
    145 regarding Billing or Collection Issues
    129 regarding Billing or Collection Issues
    16 regarding None of the Above - Indicate Credit, Billing or Collection Complaint Issue
    16 regarding Contract Disputes
    11 regarding Contract Disputes
    2 regarding Failure to honor a contract or agreement
    2 regarding Invalid or false contract
    1 regarding None of the Above - Indicate Contract Complaint Issue
    46 regarding Customer Services Issues
    16 regarding Customer Services Issues
    10 regarding Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services
    18 regarding Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support
    1 regarding Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel
    6 regarding Selling Practices
    25 regarding Service Issues

• Dl
    DLDado Jul 23, 2010

I am having huge problems with them right now. What I wanted to say is to VIolet8a, yes the issues are marked resolved but look closer:

246 resolved as:

91 ASSUMED SOLVED
    118 COMPANY SOLVED BUT CONSUMER FAILED TO CONFIRM
    ONLY 14 RESOLVED
    AND ONLY 23 COMPANY RESOLVED WITH CONSUMER CONFIRMED

BIG difference from all resolved

• Fa
    Fabric Jun 28, 2010

Although I completed my coursework for my BSM, I still don't have my degree. I had to take a 5 week leave due to medical reasons and they sent my loan money back. Now, they say I owe them over $3, 000 and they are holding my diploma hostage. They agreed to a payment plan, then sent me to collection anyway. I'm 49 years old and they are calling my in-laws. And to boot, the U of P won't even talk to me, they keep transferring me to the collection agency. Great, so we had an agreement for a payment plan and they still threw me under the bus.

I am contacting the BBB. I'm not one to walk away from any financial obligaton, but an agreement is an agreement and they shouldn't have just sent me to collection. They should have at least called me to say they changed their minds.

I'll never give them another dime and I'll make sure until the day I die that I never give them a good reference. Not only does their counselor network stink, but so did the financial advisor. All in all, my experience was sub-par and definitely not worth the money. I wish I had gone to a different school. I'll make sure no one else makes this same mistake.

• Mv
    MVL13 Jun 23, 2010

I also have be screwed by UOP, i earned about 30 credits and then i got fed up with all the BS and decided to switch to a non profit school (which i LOVE) but when i was in the process of switching UOP pulled a fast one. AFTER i had requested my financial aid be transferred to my new school, UOP charged me a fee because they claim they had to return my money for inactivity, money that was already GONE and at my new school. Now i cannot get my transcript for those credits until i pay more than $300.00 and all the work i did was for nothing. UOP encouraged me to lie on my application and urged me to borrow the maximum amount i could get from a personal loan, even though they knew i was not working and could not afford to borrow that much. They also lied and said all the books were online, when only about half are and the other half you have to pay for out of pocket because they WILL NOT allow you to use the money you borrowed like any normal school will. I am totally disgusted with UOP and would love to be involved in any lawsuit.

• Sh
    sharkgut Jun 17, 2010

I'ts all TRUE!!!

• Bw
    BWreporter Nov 03, 2009

Hi Bernard,
    I'm a reporter at BusinessWeek Magazine and I'd like to hear more about your experience at the University of Phoenix. Please call me at [protected], or email me at [email protected] I recently wrote an article about turmoil at the school in the past and potential violations of ed law.

Jessica

Chris2009 Sep 30, 2009

Has anyone gotten a class action suit started yet?

Mad123 Sep 20, 2009

to Ray

If you only hire people that have a degree, it doesnt matter if they sat in a class to get it, or they sat online to get it.

and if you are discriminating against someone because of this. you are an idot who doesnt need to be around or in charge of hiring anyone

and by the way UOP is accredited and a 4 yr degree would be what? a B.A

did you even attend any college?

and Ive never seen this ad "APPLICANT MUST HAVE ATTENDED AN ACCREDITED FOUR-YEAR UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE", or some even state on their job advertisements "UOP GRADUATES NEED NOT APPLY"

is that something you made up ?

sorry but I hate super negative people who speak for the masses but really dont know anything at all..

by the way although I have choosen to finish my degree at UOP .. I know people who have never stepped in a college who hole great jobs. in fact at my old job UNITED their was a director who only had her GED.. who was making about 100K per year..

I would never want to work for an idiot company who is closed minded, & does not offer everyone an opportunity,

Mad123 Sep 20, 2009

If this school is so so bad and its a crook !! than why did you continue to work for it, and complete your degree there..? sounds like their are 2 sides to a story? I attended UOP online years ago, but could not dedicate myself to the intense classes, do I dropped out,

never had a problem getting my money or any other problems]

I am now attending UOP again. and although I know that I will face issues and problems, doesnt everyone, I am dedicated to finsh my B.A and guess what, if by chance I get jerked around by the college at any time. I will finsh out the class and transfer to another school. like a person with common sense would

and as far as the person who says attend a real college and not UOP been their done that, its all the same. College is about learning material, and than applying that material along with common sense in the real world to get ahead, ,

and I agree with the former post, u are bitter after the fact.. so did you get fired ..as far as Julie Chavez, dont believe everything everyone tells you, try it for yourself, if it doesnt work for you ..go through another avenue. you will find that everyone complains about everything. your first step to making a decision to go to College, is to open your mind, and try !!

Josh In Ohio Sep 17, 2009

Although some of what this post says was true in the past but it is almost all outdated. I wish I had the time to go through this post point by point but it is rather long. I am a former employee of UOP and also received my undergrad and masters from them and I've never had anyone tell me that my education was substandard. As a matter of fact I have excelled in my current position at Bank of America and have surpassed many that went to traditional schools. I'm not saying UOP is for everyone and it is rather expensive but it was worthwhile for me. I guess what I'm saying is you get out of it what you put in it. Props to all those that go back to school at UOP or elsewhere.

• Ss
    sstt Aug 25, 2009

When I signed up with University of Phoenix, it was all done through the phone and internet with a financial aid representative. I told him I could not afford the $1900 per credit course and would have to wait and rethink the situation. He told me that I qualified for a grant, which I did not have to pay back at all because I was a single mother. He also told me that the courses will be paid off with the grant and that I would be sent the remainder amounts they didn't use. I went for one course and it was not what I had expected. I did not learn a thing that I didn't already know. As soon as I finished that course, I called the school and told them I was not going to go back and to stop everything. They said everything was discontinued and not to worry, then as time went by, I started receiving bills and statements from the school for courses I did not attend and from Sallie Mae. I had no idea that I owed money to Sallie Mae. I am about $12, 000 in debt for something I had no knowledge of. This is a horrible scam and fraud. I don't know what to do, it's affecting my life by not being able to buy a home, get a car loan, job, or anything. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I feel like they got the best of me and I don't know what to do. [email protected]

• Am
    AMADMOMMY Jul 17, 2009

I just am getting into my second year with this, fully accredited, school. Which claims to help with job placement. I now I should have done research on the school. But, I did the wrong kind. I checked into their claims and ads. They made this college seem like a great place and easy to do from home. Being a single stay at home mom, I fell for their sales pitch, Hook-Line&Sinker. It sounds like everyone owes them and no-one gets jobs, this is what I have been reading. If this is true, I am completely screwed, I guess. I am a mother of two, needing a job. I worked a seasonal summer jobs (let go 2 days ago) and was going to pay my rent and household bills with my loan, but No, I am being screwed around about it. A great job in theI in the medical field, supposedly. I was told they would place me in a job, also. Instead I will probably get nothing but a headache. They are starting to screw around with my money now and I don't know what to do? I am stuck, do I finish or not? Can I transfer credits, will they let me? Please I need some "good advice"... (AMADMOMMY)

• Su
    SuperVepr Jul 01, 2009

Are you folks speaking of the infamous "leeching teams" in the graduate programs? I remember those well.

• Mi
    misunderstood Jun 27, 2009

I feel like I am on punk'd and Ashton Kutcher is going to tell me it will be ok. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

CherriSue Jun 18, 2009

I too would like to join a lawsuit against the University of Poenix. If I had taken time to browse the internet before enrolling, I would not be out $3100 in federal financial aid. Why does the federal government still allow this so called university to provide finacial aid? I need help but don't know where to go to get it. Anyone have any ideas?

• Da
    Dan May 29, 2009

I wish I had done more research on UoP before enrolling, I have been surprised how easy the curriculum is, but when I got past the first 2 classes I got my first computer class and noticed the book materials are 15 years old. I feel like I have been sucker punched... I hope I can transfer to another school so I wont have to start paying on the loans right away..

• Ro
    ron May 15, 2009

I finish my Associate's degree from UoP in 2 months. To be frank, the courses were a joke. Most of the work I did in high school was more challenging.

I've recently been accepted to Drexel University in Philadelphia to finish out my bachelors. I cannot speak for others, but based on my own experience the UoP curriculum is outdated and doesn't truly teach higher tier material.

If you are enrolled at UoP, be smart, take whatever credits you have and transfer to a known university. The material covered in UoP's ASIT and BSIT do not teach or expose students to current industry standards.

There are many legitimate universities that offer online programs. Drexel, Cornell, Rowan, and Pen state are a few examples.

Ann May 15, 2009

I have been attending UOP online for a year and a half. I can not speak for anyone else's experience, but I can speak for my own. I have worked just as hard as I would have worked if I was attending some traditional school. I have paid less money than I would have paid if I was attending a traditional 4-year school. I checked on the prices before I enrolled with UOP. The other schools I was interested in were $200 higher than UOP. I know many graduates of UOP-online who went on to get better paying jobs and better benefits. They had no problem getting those jobs. My own employer has already told me that when I graduate from UOP that he will gladly promote me. So, I feel bad for all of the people who have complained about UOP but it won't stop me from graduating from UOP.

• El
    elainep1978 May 11, 2009

I have been put in a situation with UOP were I will fight to the end to get my diploma sent to me. I followed the schools curriculum as set by my counselor. During my last class I was told I still needed a few undergraduate classes. I spoke to my counselor about the classes I still needed to receive my diploma and he specifically told me that I could complete my undergraduate classes at my local community college. I immediately enrolled at my local community college and took each class I needed within two semesters and a summer school session. When I completed my last class I sent my transcripts to UOP and was informed that because I was not an active student at UOP for the past several months, that I was going to have to re-enroll at UOP and be put on a new Version. Which means I have more upper division classes to complete before I can get my diploma. As you can imagine, I was LIVID. This system is unfair and a major scam. I did exactly what my counselor suggested and was not told that I would be on a new version when I returned to school. I have sent out two appeals so far explaining my situation and both have been denied. I will NOT stand for this. I will keep fighting until I get what I worked very hard for. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit, I want to be a part of spreading the word of the true UOP. Please contact me @ [email protected]

• Co
    Concerned Apr 29, 2009

My mother has been continuously harassed by a so-called UofP "student advisor". He even had the nerve to leave on her voicemail, "You're not avoiding me, are you?"

Please future students read all these complaints (especially ones like this one with so much detail) before making your decision. There are many traditional universities such as Ohio University, Depaul University, Harvard University, and Penn State that have online classes. With the exception of Harvard, none have a residency requirement. In addition, if you are an undergraduate you can take CLEP or DSST test to "test out" of classes. Many schools accept test results in place of classes which will save you thousands. Ohio University, in addition to accepting CLEP tests results, also have examinations you can take that are equivalent to college credit.

Be smart. Don't waste all your money pursuing a degree from a school that is in question. A few years from now do you really want a degree from an instititution that is "out of business" or has a reputation for giving degrees to any and everyone?

• Pa
    paul Apr 22, 2009

University of Pheonix is a joke. Plain and simple. The GPA is inflated, classes are easy, and the school is completely overpriced. It takes over $50, 000 for a Bachelor's degree. Campared with $25, 000 for a B.A from the University of Colorado. Do the math. I would place my associates degree from a community college above a Bachelor's from UoP.

Try this: Google "University of Pheonix scam" and you'll be amazed about how many websites are dedicated to complaints against UoP. Now google "(your local community college name here) scam" and I bet you wont even find one complaint.

Always be weary of for-profit education. Especially when the curriculum is questionable, the methods of instruction are not socratic, majors aren't technical, and when so many people have dedicated so much time to voice their anger against the educational institution, if you want to call it that.

JaMes Apr 13, 2009

I have been a student at UOP for 2 years and everytime i picked up the phone to make a call to a advisor, financial advisor, and anyone from there i never had a problem. What i find amazing is some of the complaints seem bogus, Do you not read the paperwork about "dropping out" or "withdrawing" ???
    Just because they changed your financial aid advisor doesnt mean there is a "High Turnover" rate. depending on your area of enrollment and the load is how they determine who your advisor is.
    As far as emails go. I use 4 different email services (yahoo, gmail, isp, hotmail) evertime i received a email from UOP it went into the "Junkmail" folder...Does that mean its their fault? does that mean they are a fraud?
    Some of you have legitimate complaints but then you have the ones who messed up and failed out of a SIMPLE ONLINE CLASS and now you want to file a complaint like its UOP fault...
    this is SAD...

• Di
    disappointed Apr 10, 2009

Their finance department was the least helpful I have ever experienced. Their in house collection agency was the rudest ever. I took one class there (cost $2, 000) and made payments to them to pay for that class. I was told my account would never go into collections if I continued to make regular payments, which I did. Well before I could make my last payment the UOP transferred it out to another collection agency who harrassed and yelled at me for not paying. No one would listen to me either at the UOP or the collection agency as to my payment plan or that I had been making regular payments. After such a horrible experience with the "learning teams" and the payment process I would never go back there again!!!

• Aj
    ajp Mar 31, 2009

I also have very similar situation with the UOP financial aid depatment. I am absolutely in awe as to how they handle these things and would like to join a class action if available please let me know any attorney information I have documentation as well.

• Ra
    Ray Mar 29, 2009

What Bernard is saying is correct. Employers do not look favorably upon UOP Degrees. I've sat on many interview boards for my organization and those UOP Degrees are a dime a dozen. If I interview 10 UOP graduates and one Traditional University graduate for a certain position, I will always look more favorably upon the person that attended the traditional university. Don't get me wrong, my hat is off to all those that have attended UOP and received their degree, but I would rather hire someone that sat in class for 4 years. A UOP degree is great if you're in an organization that requires a degree for advancement, but not great if you're just starting out in life. More and more businesses have added to their job advertisements "APPLICANT MUST HAVE ATTENDED AN ACCREDITED FOUR-YEAR UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE", or some even state on their job advertisements "UOP GRADUATES NEED NOT APPLY."

• De
    Della Mar 21, 2009

I have to say that I have been enrolled with UOP (axia) since Sept 08'
    I havent had any problems til here recently. I have made all A's so far and yes I do read and study my materials. The class I do have now, I cant make a passing grade and I do the work properly. Its frustrating. But I do honestly try now I fear of failing the class and having to pay out of pocket which I can not afford. I am thinking of going to a traditional school. This way everything is good and there is not confusion or crap to have to add stress to our everyday lives as is. I just wish all the best in whatever they may have to deal with, dealing with UOP.

• Ro
    Robin Mar 19, 2009

University of Phoenix: Unfair charges of fee's :
    I faxed in my official withdrawal form, (being within my time frame to do so) I was unable to reach my Financial Aide Counselor (whom I've never spoken to before). I left numerous messages over the course of 2 weeks. I tried email, contacting other people in the department, and even left multiple messages with her supervisor requesting a call regarding an important, time sensitive matter. Nothing, but now I owe 1947.50 for a 1 credit course and only attended for less than 10 days. Then I was sent a letter stating that I was certified for 15 credit hours. I need to pay for these classes. So, the refund policy and withdrawal policy is useless. I don't think that the University will continue to scam students. Surely, there must be a class action E lawsuit in the making, let me know if so @ [email protected]

• Pa
    Pauline Feb 25, 2009

The University of Phoenix is a huge scam! They went through the enrollment process so fast, I should have known something was up. After I started my classes, which, by the way, were completely useless and not needed for my field, I was notified that there was a problem with my financial aid. They told me to fax in my tax return for 2007 as well as my husband's. So, I did. Not good enough. They needed a letter from my tax preparer. Not good enough. Now, I'm told that my husband will have to amend his filing and I'm withdrawn from classes until this is done. In the meantime I owe them $400 for two weeks of classes. Absolute BS. Had I known before I started classes that there was a problem, I would have never started them! They are the ones who rushed me into starting my classes. They are the ones who told me my financial aid had gone through. Not my fault. I do not see how they can consider my liable for any of this, since I simply did everything they told me to do. I am not paying them, and I will get a lawyer if neccessary. By all of the complaints I have read against them, I'm surprised there is not a class action lawsuit against them. Maybe my lawyer will be interested.

• To
    Topher Jan 26, 2009

Any luck on this lawsuit I am also in the process of trying to find a lwyer to deal with my issue. I am being charged over 3000.00 for a class that i was told I "had to enroll in or I would be dropped" the same day I enrolled I recieved a letter saying I was going to be dropped for not paying tuition so i stopped attending class. I called sallie Mae who informed me that UOP sent back my tuition money to them. TodaI spoke with an ### named jason who when i told him "look I'm just trying to get in school and get an education" he told me "well guess what your not getting back into any school till you pay us our 3000 dollars.

• Vi
    Violet8a Jan 22, 2009

We are going to try this next. BBB shows all complaints as resolved and also gives the person to contact

Business Contact & ProfileBack to Top Business Name: University of Phoenix Central Administration
    Business Address: Office of Dispute Management
    Email Address: [email protected]
    BBB Accreditation: This business is a BBB Accredited Business

• Vi
    Violet8a Jan 22, 2009

My daughter was on bedrest during a high risk pregnancy, did all the right paper work but they are still harassing her.

Joe Dec 02, 2008

I would like to join the class action lawsuit. Let me know what you find out from your attorney. I am a little worried about a retaliation effort by UOP since I am a current student but retaliation should not be tolerated.

• Da
    Danielle Nov 25, 2008

I can relate to your case. I have been receiving bills from loan companies/agencies that I supposebly signed up for loans that I didnt sign up for. I deal with two loan companies for all of my student loans and two companies have sent me bills that I have never heard of. I contacted both companies and told them the situation. The only thing that I can think of is whoever my finanical aid advisor was (which it changed, they seemed to have a high turnover rate) signed me up for loans that I didnt approve of in order to have me enrolled in their college. I dont know if they had certain "kick-backs" with these companies. When I was attending the University, I had tried conacting my financial advisor mulitiple times and they never called me back.
    It is interesting that you mentioned your ADHD because I also have ADHD and I was never told about getting consideration for my disorder. UOP seems very fishy. I am starting to wonder how many people are actually in our situations.