The Baystole money

My mom, who hardly speaks english, had money stolen from her by the cashier at the Bay on Queen St. She purchased $1700 worth of merchandise a month ago using her Visa. The cashier asked her if she wanted to open a points card and took her information and filled out a form. Then she told her that they can't take the Visa so my mom paid her cash. The cashier even gave her the change, and then had her sign the receipt for what my mom thought was for points. It turns out that the cashier charged the purchase on a new HBC credit card. The cashier gave my mom a points card but didn't even give her a temporary credit card. The cashier really did trick her. When my mom had a translator with her to go back to the Bay, the manager said that they would investigate. They took so long that my mom and her translator went back to ask again and the manager said that they found nothing and that they weren't going to do anything about it. There are cameras above the cash registry, so why can't they see the tapes? They gave my mom a whole lot of frustration with very poor customer service. And the cashier stole her money. Took her cash and charged her credit card, real robbery! I hate them so much. Everyone that works there is very rude. I am vowing never to shop there again, and I hope others will do the same.

• Ri
    rizza123 Oct 02, 2009

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad experience with this. I work at the Bay and there are some very sketchy employees when it comes to opening credit accounts. The store I work at also has one who lies to customers that they're getting a points card (among many other lies and schemes) when really it's a credit card. The reason being is that the company puts a lot of pressure on its staff to open credit cards but even more so because the employee earns free HBC rewards for every card they open. This is not only frutrating for the customer but also for the other employees who play fairly and are honest with their customers. However, I will say what the cashier probably did was use your mothers cash to make a credit payment on the new account right after she processed it so that it looked like she just paid in cash.

Honestly, you should really take this further, even go to head office if you have to. In our particular store we have complained to management about the previously mentioned employee and when no one would listen to us we even went to our security people. Management told loss prevention to not investigate her because her opening credit cards looks good on the store (the store recieves money for every opened account). All they care about is opening these accounts, regardless of if that means being dishonest to their customers. It truly is infurating. More customers need to make their voices heard about this because they wont listen to us (employees).

• Sh
    shirley Lin Oct 07, 2009

They did open the case and for a while I was relieved thinking that they will get to the bottom of it. We got a final letter saying that investigations are done and that they don't believe it to be fraud. What they did, I don't know, but it is certainly not looking at the security tapes because they are doing nothing about the whole matter anymore. At the time I wrote the original complaint I was holding in a lot of angry and I think reading it now I can tell which lines I wanted to curse a lot. I am still furious and will forever hold a grudge. The money that the cashier took, she did not put it towards my mom's balance. I think the whole process of them slyly opening credit accounts is immoral. I will never shop at the Bay again and will keep telling everyone I know to do the same. You seem like a good employee and it is only the few bad apples that spoil it for the rest. Regardless, I am going to keep complaining to everyone I know, and if I can boycott them, I will.

• Fr
    Frenchy May 30, 2011

i used to work at the Bay and their is nothing fishy here the staff is trained very well on tricking people into signing up for a credit card mostly seniors and people who don't understand English I used to get complaints all the time from family members that used to come in complaining about their 89 year old mother or father having a credit card and didn't remember signing up they all would say the same thing the nice lady told me it was a points card this is going on at all the Bay store as i am in BC. I think you should call the media i would be willing to tell my story on how i was trained to trick people into getting a HBC master card