Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Telecommunications Telkom SA SOC Device malfunction and suspected continuation of contract without operational device

Telkom SA SOC  -  Device malfunction and suspected continuation of contract without operational device

K
Author of the complaint
3:59 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Good day,

I, Keenin Smith, customer ID [protected] (taken from Telkom printed document), opened a cellphone contract with Telkom, taking the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 on the 4th of December 2021. I woke up to a phone that was malfunctioning after placing it on charge before bed on the 7th or 8th of January 2022. There was a white line in the middle where the crease is and the top part of the screen did not function with-in one month of having it. I went in store where I took out the contract and got the device from, which is Telkom a t Hemingways in East London.

I spoke to a lady that deals with the repairs and explained this problem the device had and she advised and referred me to D&D Electronics due to a huge backlog on repairs at Telkom, without booking it in store and without any form of information or indemnity that taking the device to D&D was at my own risk and only provided me with a printout of proof of purchase/sale, to take with to D&D, at the time the device was one month and 5 days old.

I took it to D&D on the 10th of January 2022 where it was for 2 and half weeks and received a shocking text message from D&D on the 26th of January 2022 with a quotation of R9160 for repairs to the device which is under warranty and to my understanding would be repaired or replaced under the warranty, when I inserted my sim into another device to check on messages.

I discussed this matter with my father who accompanied me to collect the device from D&D on the 28th of January 2022. The damage was way worse than what it was when I took it to D&D. We (my father and I) went back to the Telkom store on the 28th but the lady who I spoke to 1st was not available and we were told that the device was not supposed to go to D&D in the first place. I told them that I was not informed and did not know that taking the device to D&D was at own risk, I was not told that on referral.

My father and I went back on the 2nd of February 2022 and the lady informed us that there’s nothing they can do and t hat the warranty will be voided because I took the phone to D&D, the phone was supposed to be booked in by Telkom because it was still new and not elsewhere and I am liable to pay the full term (36months) after we told her that the phone was taken to D&D upon their referral. My father called the call-centre on the 2nd of February 2022 at 16H38 after returning from Telkom to explained my situation and seeking advice and was advised to return the phone to the store and to call the call centre when we're there. Unfortunately, when we returned to the store, it was over the weekend and the call centre was closed. I went back the around the 16-18th due to work obligations and they did not want to accept anything and told me I have to pay R21000+ if I want to cancel the contract and they cannot take back the device and I continue with the service portion (airtime/data). I called the call centre on the 26th February to lodge a complaint/dispute to this matter, around 11:50am and was on the phone with the agents for about 40min+ and was told that they would call me back before 16H30 but it never materialized.

I am now stuck with a device I took proper care of so well, never dropped it and were very cautious when used which is now useless including a subscription for 36 months with service which I can only use when I can borrow phones from my family to check my messages etc. as I am without a phone because Telkom, Hemingways, who did not given clear information and or following the correct procedures as I would never have taken the phone to D&D if it was made clear and signed and indemnity or any form of documentation confirming acceptance of the referral at own risk.

This is so unfair and unacceptable as I now have to make use of my parents' resources and assistance in this matter, hence me writing this email to reach out again and explain my situation, seek assistance and plea for a speedy resolution.

I hereby give permission to please contact my father, Sam Smith on [protected] / [protected] in this regard or respond to this email address.

We look forward to your communication.

Many thanks,

Keenin Smith

Update by Keenin Smith
Apr 06, 2022 5:13 am

I have registered a complaint/dispute on 17 March 2022 and have not received response nor feedback. I would appreciate any form of communication and acknowledgement of original complaint.

Original Complaint / Dispute

Good day,

I, Keenin Smith, customer ID [protected] (taken from Telkom printed document), opened a cellphone contract with Telkom, taking the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 on the 4th of December 2021. I woke up to a phone that was malfunctioning after placing it on charge before bed on the 7th or 8th of January 2022. There was a white line in the middle where the crease is and the top part of the screen did not function with-in one month of having it. I went in store where I took out the contract and got the device from, which is Telkom at Hemingways in East London.

My father and I went back on the 2nd of February 2022 and the lady informed us that there’s nothing they can do and that the warranty will be voided because I took the phone to D&D, the phone was supposed to be booked in by Telkom because it was still new and not elsewhere and I am liable to pay the full term (36months) after we told her that the phone was taken to D&D upon their referral. My father called the call-centre on the 2nd of February 2022 at 16H38 after returning from Telkom to explained my situation and seeking advice and was advised to return the phone to the store and to call the call centre when we're there. Unfortunately, when we returned to the store, it was over the weekend and the call centre was closed. I went back the around the 16-18th due to work obligations and they did not want to accept anything and told me I have to pay R21000+ if I want to cancel the contract and they cannot take back the device and I continue with the service portion (airtime/data). I called the call centre on the 26th February to lodge a complaint/dispute to this matter, around 11:50am and was on the phone with the agents for about 40min+ and was told that they would call me back before 16H30 but it never materialized.

We look forward to your communication.

Many thanks,