Target Corporationonline ordering

T

I have just been told that I am welcome to shop in the store but I can't order online. I placed an order and then it was cancelled. When I called to follow up they said that I was "banned" from shopping on line and it had something to do with quantities. I rarely order on line from Target. The gentleman would not tell me why I couldn't place any on line orders EVER. I shop in Target many times per month; am a red card customer and am totally perplexed why I can't shop on line or what I might have done to be banned. I was told on the phone that there wasn't anyone higher up I could talk to about this.

• Yy
    yyesenia Aug 14, 2016

There are 2 possible explanations that come to mind because they told you it was related to "quantities". 1. If you order multiple of a single item, they may suspect you are a reseller attempting to resell their items for profit. 2. If you have a high rate of returns (not sure what that may be...over 50%?), they may feel they are losing money by allowing your transactions.
    It is frustrating when they don't clearly define upfront or even afterward what specific actions or patterns will get customers banned, but I know they tend to follow the loss prevention trends of Amazon. Both retailers have lifelong blacklists of customers deemed to be risks. The Retail Equation (TRE) is a company based in Southern California which offers tracking services to retailers to help prevent loss due to return abuse, whether fraudulent or just persistent. Whenever a retailer asks for ID in the process of conducting a return, beware! They are likely sharing your personal information, including name, address, dob, with a third party such as TRE, who then creates a profile to identify patterns in shopping and returns activity. Sometimes they will generate a warning advising you that if you make future purchases, your return privileges will be suspended for periods from 90 days up to 2 years.
    Home Depot, JC Penney, Bath and Body Works, and Lowe's are just a few retailers who share customers' identities with TRE. Recently, WalMart began assertively tracking and limiting all returns as well, even those with a receipt. Whether Target.com and WalMart use TRE or not, they have at least modeled their system after TRE, and it's a shame this is the direction of retail because many honest customers who rely on open return policies are going to be banned.
    There are nothing but 1-star reviews on Yelp for The Retail Equation because of invasion of privacy and unfair and discriminatory profiling. Many customers have expressed an interest in joining a class action suit against them. I believe it is only a matter of time before this happens.