Subwaythink twice you rude customers

N

okay, all you people that have the most unnecessary complaints about subway, how bout you look at it from the other side of the spectrum. I work at a subway and have some advice for you brainless people.
1)we cannot put four handfuls of onions or a whole container of pickles on your sandwich. Everything has guidelines just like every other store. Stop complaining how you don't get enough vegetables and learn that unless you want to start being charged for vegetables, let us follow OUR OWN RULES.
2)everyone says that we have a bad attitude. first of all get off your cellphone while being in the store, stop yelling at your kids or talking to friends. we have a job to do and we would rather not want to wait for you to get your act together. We ask the same questions for every sandwich, so help us out by just telling us what you want. We don't need our "robotic or monotone" voices if you would juss tell us answers to questions before we ask them.
3)if you tip your waitress/waitor at a restraunt for just serving your food, then why dont you tip or even thank the people that make AND serve your food. Its so hard to even hear a thanks from customers anymore.
4)We DO NOTTTTT want to hear lame jokes, like when we ask what can i get for you? then do not use the following responses: a million dollars, the winning lottery ticket, a sandwich, or WORST OF ALL-- I DONT KNOW. you know you are obviously coming to subway. you have thoughts about subway. how do you not know what you want? and if you are ordering for someone and we ask, for instance, what vegetables you want- dont say whatever you usually put on or i dont know. WE DO NOT HAVE A USUAL THAT WE PUT ON!! every customer is different and has what they like and by saying i dont know, WE HAVE NO BETTER IDEA!!!
5)at my subway, we dont do mini sandwiches anymore. stop complaining and just get a six inch. if you get a kids meal, you HAVE to get APPLES, not chips, and WHITE/CHOCOLATE MILK OR JUICE BOX, not pop. we don't have any control over this. we cant jus put make your own kids meal on our computer. also we do ham, turkey, roast beef or veggie for minis. as you can read this does not include veggie, bologna or chicken. also, you know what your kdis are going to get PLEASEEEE DO NOT LET THEM ORDER, we cannot hear them and they are slow. im sorry, juss bein strait up.
6)LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT: DONT SAY I NEED OR I WANT OR GIVE ME. USE YOU FCKN MANNERS AND SAY CAN I PLESAE HAVE. ITS SO DISRESPECTFUL AND RUDE WHEN YOU SAY THINGS LIKE A IMMATURE CHILD. 4 OUT OF 5 CUSTOMERS DO THIS. DONT BE ONE OF THEMMMMMM!!!

mariaiaia Feb 14, 2010

Don't stay open store hours as supposed too..open later and closes earlier then advertised..

• Je
    @jenn Aug 15, 2010

Wow..I used to be a waitress and I can understand you to a point, but you sound very angry throughout your post. Maybe a different job, might help or not serving the public. As a waitress once, I endured some real great folks and a few rude customers, but you just can't let it get you down. With every job you will ever have or do have there is good and bad, it is what or in how you deal with it.

• Su
    SummerInTheSun Aug 16, 2010

You are a very angry person and should not be in customer service.

I've been and am in customer service positions and have had to deal with customers who are very rude, but I'd at least POLITELY inform them of things instead of using caps and rude language.

foodforthought Aug 16, 2010

paigesubway, I'm headed to subway for dinner right now...I know what you mean. I usually say [censored] gimme a [censored]ing sixer with extra lettuce. But I ALWAYS tell them thankyou and have a nice day.

none Aug 16, 2010

to summer in the sun: shut up. lol. i dont use caps and rude language in person, you cant use caps in person. that was just dumb to say, but anyways, i am polite but im just trying to imform others of how many things customers can do wrong and im trying to help them because ive read almost al lthe complaints and not one is legit.

to food for thought:haha i would love for someone to say that to me, it might make my day. AND THANK YOU FOR SAYING THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

foodforthought Aug 17, 2010

i thought that'd cheer ya up! eff rude people!

• El
    Elizabeth449402 Aug 19, 2010

I've managed a Subway for four years and must say this is a pretty lame complaint. I agree with one or two of your frustrations, but your poor, premeditated assessments make me wonder how well you respond to customer inquiries on the spot. There are thorough and concise ways to respond to most of the issues you pointed out. Cell phones and extremely distracted customers are the only thing I'll admit to agreeing with, not because it annoys ME, but because it negatively affects my service to other patrons.

Two things that really stood out:

- There is a 'whatever comes on it' for each and every sandwich. Federal law requires large restaurant chains to make a nutritional declaration that accurately reflects their standard 'recipe' and to only show those ingredients in all portrayals of their menu items (better know as the commonly misinterpreted 'false advertising' law). Check a Subway nutrition guide or look at the pictures for more details.

- You aren't entitled to tips because tipped employees do not have to be paid the standard minimum wage. Federal law states that if you take in more than $30 a month in gratuities, you must report those earnings to the tax agencies and your employer can reduce your hourly rate to as low a $2.13 an hour as long as you average $7.25 an hour AFTER factoring tips but before taking out taxes.

none Aug 19, 2010

elizabeth: there is not just a regular, maybe a recommended for healthiness, but not a recommended per person for taste buds. and i was putting more of an emphasis on the thank you, the tip juss came out because people tip waitresses, just a comparison

Anon Aug 21, 2010

I completely agree. The masses have gotten to be incredibly self-centered toward anyone in customer service. I actually had a customer snap her fingers at me after demanding something and wanted it NOW. She ended up having to wait 20 mins. while I tended to the polite and intelligent people. Oops. Did I forget to tell someone she was waiting for something? Damn right I did. lol

• Sh
    Shannon35 Aug 22, 2010

Not every customer is like that, OP. If I were to be in your store, you would find out that a few customers are quite capable of being nice and polite as I am one of them. When I have been in any establishment, I am always careful to treat everyone politely until there is rudeness directed my way. In that case, I usually say, "Okay, that was rude behavior and I don't have to tolerate it and will go somewhere else for a sandwich. Then I leave the person who treated me so rudely with food for thought and perhaps a lesson in civility. You madam, should not be in customer service if you cannot handle children ordering for themselves especially if they are over 9 years old.

• Fa
    falltime Aug 22, 2010

I ask for a 6 inch feast with white american, everything but pickels, and the workers still look dazed and f---ing confused like i ordered a foreign object.haha

• Gw
    gworth Aug 23, 2010

I agree with op to a point, but you need to look for another job.

• ArcyTheArcanine Aug 23, 2010

Amen! I had a woman get mad at me for apparently not listing, when I was trying to take her order while she had that ugly bluetooth in her ear! I left something in her drink, Im not sure what it was but I didn't bother taking it out. lol Please, if you are ordering or driving, HANG UP YOUR [censored]ING PHONE!

none Aug 23, 2010

td577: get your facts strait. there is no longer a "works" subway has gotten rid of it for about a year now. thanks though for tryin to bash me, even though it didn't work. and i am nice to customers, they are just rude and such. obviously you seem like a person who sits behind a desk dealing with nothing but computer issues. ha. whatevs.

Shannon35: there are parents that let their three year old order. not only are they not above counter height. but their voice doesn't carry to your ear and they don't even know what subway is. I can handle a 9 yr old. duh. you are stupid.

• Sh
    Shannon35 Aug 24, 2010

Then those parents are idiots, not me. I find that your attitude towards life stinks.

foodforthought Aug 24, 2010

shannon: get real! paige isn't displaying a bad attitude about life, she's merely complaining about one section. perhaps you on your high horse have never made a complaint in your cushy life...I doubt it since your on this forum. let her complain your doin the same. plus the food industry is a difficult place to be. people ARE RUDE. it wears a person down. EFF OFF!

foodforthought Aug 24, 2010

p.s. you are an idiot if you can't figure out that your kids are making someone else's life just a little bit harder than need be.

foodforthought Aug 24, 2010

haha maybe over subway...

• Ra
    rascal6381 Aug 25, 2010

I think someone should find a different job.

• Ir
    irishgal Aug 25, 2010

Anger management anyone??

• Ir
    irishgal Aug 25, 2010

lol, do they still serve "mini" cocktails?

• Sc
    scoobydoo Aug 25, 2010

You think that's bad, try working at a fertility pharmacy with hormonal rage, fun times. :)

• Ha
    hampsteadbill Aug 26, 2010

I figure if you had an IQ above your shoe size, you could get a better job than working for stinking dump, Subway.

• To
    toankaho Aug 27, 2010

WOW, okay I read your complaints about people, who have chosen to spend their hard earned money at your place but were rude in doing so. But what is the actual ratio to regular customers? or even exceptional customers? I read what you wrote and maybe you wrote it as a way of venting because you make it sound like out of 10 customers, 9 are rude and don't deserve to give you their business. I am in the service business like you with one exception, I own my company and started it from scratch (no turn key franchise) and everyday I am appreciative that people chose to do business with my company. Nothing is perfect, there are times when someone request something not included or try to make changes but that is part of it but if you can't do it, you can't do it. When the next customer comes in and asks for the samething, or the third, the fourth, etc..remember to them its the first time asking even though you have heard it 1000 times so relax. I think your stepping over quarters and picking up pennies. If I was teaching my kids to order for themselves and paying for themselves why is that wrong? Can't hear them? They're too slow? THEY ARE LEARNING! So you say "I'm sorry I can't hear you, could you speak up please?" so they know to speak louder. Not all of us who go to Subway are rude or intolerant. I have a friend who gets upset when he cannot understand heavy accented people from other countries to the point that he elevates his blood pressure and is mad all day. I told him that it is bad customer service to put someone in an order taking position that does not speak english very well, AND that it is just as bad for him to get upset at this person for trying. But here is what I think; 1) You were venting I get that and I hope you feel better, 2) I suggest you make a job change to something that does not directly involve servicing others, your stress level will thank you 3) and if you can't do #2 than quit complaining know that your position will get all kinds of customers great to terrible and know matter what, be professional. Because in the end, if you fly off the handle to someone who wanted chips instead of apples, you may get your way now but you will lose their business and 10 of their friends' too later.

And if you really are that concerned, tell us which Subway and we will make sure you'll never have to worry about us sending someone your way in fear that you may deem them unworthy of spending their money at your place, which provides your income for your own survival in your rude, [censored] ill mannered, brainless people inhabited town (your adjectives, not mine). Just sayin...

• Cr
    Cranae Aug 28, 2010

So, working in customer service you will find rude people. Get over it. YOUR job is to smile, be polite and answer THEIR questions. Just because they are coming into your subway doesn't mean they know exactly what they want. They could have seen your business and said "Oh, Snap, Subway sounds good!" and walk into your store talking to their friend (who is following them or just ahead of them, and they want to make sure they follow them to the correct store) and when you ask them what they want it is because there are no customers ahead of them and they haven't had time to think yet so they say, "I don't know" sort of a way to buy some time till their friends get there or so they can review the menu, because you have lots of pretty pictures and everything looks delightful. So then you start rusing them and using that voice like you don't give a sh***. But here's the thing, you should! It is YOUR job! IF you don't like your job, go somewhere else. Oh, sorry forgot, maybe you are still in school? and Wet behind the ears yet? and if your older than 23 and working at subway and NOT going to school, you either love your job, or, you have no where else to go. Which one is it paige? Try being more friendly at work and less snippy and maybe people would put away their phones, ask you for suggestions-because you LOOK friendly and helpful, and perhaps they may leave a tip or two, Just sayin'.

John Conner Aug 31, 2010

Love your rant. I feel the same way that you do so I found a job where I don't have to deal with the pubic too much. I'm happy and all of those rude people are to.

• Ba
    BabyMel Aug 31, 2010

I go to Subway about once a year. Nearly always at an airport or train station where I have hardly ever been before.

I do not know what I want in advance because I don't know what you have until I get in and see it. You need to stop pressuring me to order, and you need to explain things to me when I ask. A recommendation from you really does help.

I greet your colleagues when I walk in, I say 'please', I say 'thank you' and hardly ever do I see reciprocal courtesy. Most of the time I just get a blank stare. Your behavior might have something to do with how you find most people treating you.

If my kid is your customer, he's going to order, and you're going to treat him with the same respect that you'd like to see him show to you. I don't know what he wants. He's free to make up his own mind and to change it like any adult can. He will appreciate your advice and guidance since you're supposedly an adult who knows better, and moreover you're the face of your business who knows your products better than we ever will. Please act the part. We really do appreciate it when your colleagues do.

If you're open about not liking us, don't be surprised if we walk out after you make the sandwich and then snap at us for payment without saying 'please'. We've walked out on some of your ill-mannered caveman colleagues before. It would save both you and us the hassle if you just told us up front that you don't want to serve customers. Maybe you should just shut the doors.

foodforthought Aug 31, 2010

baby mel. you sound like you think you are the subway customer comittee. clearly you have eaten there often. p.s. if your kid is still living with you, you should be ordering for them as you are their parent. do you let your kids eat candy all day long because that's what they want? you need to make the decisions, and one would think that you would know after sometime what your kid does and does not like.

• Ev
    evasgramma Sep 02, 2010

Amen - The general public is rude. Give the servers a break people, they are just doing their jobs.

Jack A Root Sep 03, 2010

The post is right on. This is a place to vent, so the people copping out with this Subway worker having a bad attitude can shut the ef up. It's a well written, articulate, and emotionally charged statement. Most people on this site can't even spell and sound like English is their third or fourth language. I wanted to put my hands around the throat of the Subway manager that responded as if these observations were in Morse Code. Oh, except for the ones that interfered with helping other customers. Gag!. You are a company yes person that probably has never had an original, independent thought or opinion. We live in an age where I've had customers say to me "What about the customer always being right?" Where the efbomb did this whitetrash government cheese mantra get accepted as a reasonable attitude? The customer is not always right, and they need to learn to act like civilized human beings towards everyone. I know most Americans have not attended finishing school, but treat everyone with respect, politeness, and most importantly as if you appreciate what they are doing for you. I am not in the service industry any longer, but I can only imagine things have only gotten worse since society itself is only on the decline. So to whomever wrote this; nice job, just don't talk to people in caps ; ). As for me, I am sure that I will be labeled as a psychopath with severe anger issues. That reminds me, I've got to go so that I can microwave kittens .

foodforthought Sep 03, 2010

woot woot jack a root!

• De
    De1220 Sep 03, 2010

You are way too angry, reminds me of our Subway on Main St. in Sun Prairie. But the real rudeness one day was when I saw how he treated his own employees, and ever so often see him walking down Main. St going home, and his posture is very angry also. I choose to go the the other Subway by Hwy C which is a total different world - and the employess are very nice - even when one called in sick...yes there was a long line, but we were all patient and they were all friendly! I agree - perhaps unemployed seems like a better option!

• Ti
    tired of forced downloads.. Nov 03, 2010

WOW!!!, , , you are in need of some help..The blood pressure, Get your anger under control kind.
    I like how you rant, Rather arrogant, rude ...And I wish I was a customer of yours, , You would treat me or my kids like that and get a bloody suprise..
    The fact is, , You need to do your job.
    the fact is, , , You are payed to take orders, from kids or not!.
    the fact is, , , You would be amazed at the amount of money your rant has lost for subway in general...and as someone already posted, , , tell us your store, , , Im to far away, , , but Im sure there are enoufe peaple out there that would be happy to forward your post to your boss, And to corporate.
    You are lost in a world that you think your job matters, There are peaple who don't have jobs, Cant find one, And would be happy to have the chance to work..Shame on you.

chekmareva Nov 03, 2010

I second all the things you said about manners. You must have had good upbringing... Kudos to your parents!

joey0923 Dec 18, 2010

i think subway charges entirely too much for their food. i went there for a lunch and paid $10 and change for a 6 inch roast beef with chips and a large soda. it was a rip off. and until subway drops its prices i have no reason to go there at all.

• Ba
    Baciamicaro Jan 08, 2011

I love this post and I strongly agree.

• Br
    brendahj Jan 08, 2011

I agree with frustration with cell phones and trying to get a service while on a cell phone. Our local pharmacy has a sign posted that says, "When you are finished with your phone call, we will be happy to help you". I really get irked when someone is on a cell phone talking and trying to talk to me at the same time. Pick one or the other and be respectful and effecient. I stop making eye contact with the rude cell phone user until they are complete with their call or address me, and then look at the phone they are still on and let them know when they are done, I can help them.

• Al
    Alex's mom Jan 14, 2011

I went to Subway and it was closed.

• Di
    diverdownnc Jan 15, 2011

I normally do not post but after reading yours simply demands one. I will address your complaint by the numbers as you posted it.

1. I do not think most people expect several handfuls of veg. or anything else. What we do expect is for Subway operators to follow its own rules instead of skimping on everything to save money (ie) make more profit, especially with the economic situation.

To use the Subway closest to my home as an example. The owner/operator has told her employees to put less than the required amount on subs and salads unless the customer "asks" for more.

Additionally they have the prep machine set so thin that I placed a cucumber (one of 3 I got on a large salad) on on a newspaper and could read every word. They do the same with tomatoes to the point they fall apart. You should look behind you on the wall at your own advertisements and website depicting subs and salads. If what you make does not look very similar then you are participating in deceptive advertising at best and unethical businness practcies at worst.

2. You complain that we should just tell you what we want but in your #6 but ### that we should not say" We need or we want" . Your are not giving things away the customer is paying for your products and as long as we are civil and polite we can order anyway we want.

Finally you ask for a tip. I will be glad to tip just as soon as you tell your owner that you no longer want the minimum wage, but 2.50 to 3.00 an hour like the restaurant waitresses get. But I will give you an even better tip using your own language. Find another F''ing job.

• De