Having problems with State Farm?

State Farm reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 27, 2006. The latest review Car collision and mechanical repairs were not inspected for safety was posted on Apr 14, 2021. The latest complaint lack of support was resolved on Mar 21, 2018. State Farm has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 275 reviews. State Farm has resolved 110 complaints.

State Farm Customer Service Contacts

1855 733 7333 (Customer Service)
1800 782 8332 (Customer Service)
+1 888 559 1922 (Technical Issues)
+1 877 627 5757 (Emergency Road Service)
+1 800 440 0998 (Insurance Payments)
+1 877 734 2265 (State Farm Bank Accounts)
+1 877 734 8472 (Credit Cards)
+1 800 447 4930 (Mutual Funds Accounts)
One State Farm Plaza
Bloomington, Illinois
Canada, Mailing Address
333 First Commerce Drive, Aurora, ON L4G 8A4

State Farm Complaints & Reviews

State Farm Insurance no response or call backs

State Farm's customer side swiped me on 12/04/2013 and I called them around 12pm from the scene when the policy went to get a battery jump pack. The State Farm rep (Michael) said he would get a claim started and someone would be in touch with me soon. I waited 5 days and hear NOTHING. I called back and spoke with another rep (Alex) who said he saw that the insured called and he will make a few calls and get back in touch with me. Over 3 additional days later, still NOTHING from State Farm!! Good thing my car was able to be driven!

State Farmnot adequately investigating claim

I was involved in a car accident and State Farm was my insurance company. They did not investigate my claim they just took the other drivers side. When I asked them why they did not conduct a full investigation they stated its because I did not file a police report and I said their was damage to my car. I did not call the police because the other driver agreed with me that their was not any damage to their car. The day of the claim State Farm called me to ask me about the accident and I stated the truth and I submitted photos to back up my story. My pictures were never submitted for evidence against this claim. A couple of days after the accident I was called by State Farm and they took the others drivers word for it and now I am stuck with a bill to fix the other parties car.

State Farm — certainteed organic shingles

My house was built in 2001, and the builder used Certainteed organic shingles. These shingles have been...

State Farm Insurance state farm is not a good neighbor.

State Farm is NOT a good neighbor. They were not there for me and my family.
      After being with State Farm for over 30 years and spending over $150, 000.00 on house, 3 cars & umbrella insurance State Farm screwed me & my family. After I expressed my concerns with the Collision Shop and State Farm that my 2009 Toyota Corolla should be totaled. They repaired my vehicle $134.00 short of totaling it. Now I have a car that has no value. I can't sell it or trade it in. This is how State Farm treats a loyal customer after 30 years and spending $150, 000.00. Everyone needs to know what State Farm has done to me and my family. Please DO NOT use State Farm for your personal or business insurance needs. What they have done to us...they can easily do to you.

State Farm Renters Insuranceif you are thinking of going with state farm renters insurance, read this first!

Last September my girlfriend and I moved into an old apartment building in Brooklyn and after making the place look nice and dealing with a near miss from a broken radiator we decided to get renters insurance. We put the word out on Facebook, checked sites like this and asked around. We decided to go with State Farm renters insurance.

The policy we got was $180 per year, which was about average. They specialized in apartment renters insurance so it seemed like the smartest choice.

I am a musician and I have a small music production room on the other end of the apartment from the bedroom. It is where I spend most of my time and do my work.

Early Wednesday morning my girlfriend woke me up, her words were "you are not going to like this".

My little music studio was a disaster. During the night water must have filled up the ceiling and burst through making a hole and blowing the glass light fixture out of the ceiling shattering it on the desk below along with lots of nasty dirty water, debris and plaster. The brown water was all over my computer, it had flowed down the wall from a hole in the ceiling and filled up a tube pre amp an acoustic bass guitar and synthesizer my equipment was all messed up. The only comfort I had was as I went through all my jacked up stuff was that it was covered by my State Farm renters insurance. We took pictures and I got to work cleaning up and trying to dry things out. My girlfriend was amazing, she worked with me all morning cleaning and picking up glass, and getting things so that they were clean enough they could be removed from the room and into the bedroom at the other end of the house.
        I could not work so I just cleaned for the next two days. Now the room stinks, and the whole apartment smells like sewage. We bought a dehumidifier which we hope will help.
        The only thing that was getting me through all this was the idea that State Farm would help me get back to where I was.

After a long phone call, State Farm said it was not covered, none if it! They said that whoever fixed the roof improperly was liable.
        I have this phrase stuck in my head "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there." and it makes the whole mess so much more painful to deal with.

State Farmbull crap

My vehicle went into the lake and was submerged up to the seats. I file a claim with STATE FARM. After 8 days I was called by a STATE FARM claim agent and told I could choose an auto body mechanic of my choice and that the vehicle would not be totaled out. The vehicle smelled awful and all the electronics were soaked. I told STATE FARM that the liability of the vehicle was to great to drive safely and I would not expose my family to this. Also the value of the vehicle had dropped by half due to water damage. I was told they would send it to a mechanic and have it so-called repaired. STATE FARM has now put the liability of a piece of crap vehicle on me and let me eat the depreciation of the vehicle. I HATE them. I was with them for 24 years without filing any claims and now they have put the safety of myself and my family at risk.

State Farm Auto Insuranceauto accident claim

I was hit from behind while stopped at a red light on April 29, 2013 in Jonesboro, GA by a State Farm insured driver. I had about $1000.00 worth of damage to the rear of my brand new 2013 car (according to their collision center) and they fixed it (using used parts of course). So now I have a "new" 2013 car with "used" parts on it that has already been in an accident before I even got to make the first payment. My car is not worth as much as it was before the accident and so when I go to trade it in or sell it, it will be worth less to the buyer, of course, so I say again, I have a brand new 2013 car with an accident on it's record and used parts. State Farm offered me less than $200 for the diminished value. It is a joke. Not only did I use the repair shop of their choice, I also didn't make them pay for a rental car for the week my car was in the shop. I just used my nephew's truck. I also did not request pain and suffering or anything like that even though I had pain for two weeks in the hips and lower back. I aw not an unethical person who tries to get something for nothing. I am just a woman with a new car who was hit by a State Farm driver and expected to be treated fairly, ethically, and recoup my losses. As it stands now the only way for me to recoup my losses is to sue the at-fault driver in small claims court. What is the purpose of people being required to have insurance if they are not going to cover losses when accidents occur? I really HATE State Farm at this moment and hope I never have to deal with them again. BEWARE of driver's with State Farm insurance.

• Ar
                Art Kowalski Feb 17, 2014

Did you obtain an auto diminished value appraisal from an independent appraiser? I have become somewhat of an expert since obtaining three of them in order to settle my diminished value claim against Farmers. Only one of them, from an appraiser in Fort Pierce, Florida, was considered credible because they used dealer quotes and not some cockamamie formula like the first two appraisers did. Once professional appraisals are presented to insurance adjusters they know that they won't win in court and quickly settle.

• Ks
                ksumm90 Feb 01, 2014

STATE FARM REFUSES TO HANDLE A CLAIM I MADE REGARDING ONE OF THE CUSTOMERS HITTING MY PARKED VEHICLE AND CAUSING INJURY TO ME. THE HAVE BEEN RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNRESPONSIVE.

State Farm Insurance Boat Policycharging for service that was canceled they are a rip off

We had our Insurance for over 35 years and we had everything Insured with State Farm. We bought a Boat Last August and had it Insured though State Farm. We were not told that if you wanted to cancel you policy in 5 month or longer you would still have to pay for the rest of the year. We switched Insurance Company in March 2013. They sent us a bill for the amount for the last 6 months on our boat. I was really outraged that they would charge me for services not render. I went down to pay it and the lady ask it she could help me. I told her that I came to pay for services not Render and she ask me what I meant. I told her that we are paying for a policy that has be canceled and we have Insurance though another company, she told me that it was on the policy that we had that said that we had to pay for a year if we had the insurance for 5 months or more. I told her that she should have be honest and told us that. We trusted State Farm, and didn't bother to read the fine print. Big Mistake. So I am filing a complain with our Insurance Commissioner, Better Business Bureau, and State Farm Corporate Office. They should not be able to charge you for service that you canceled. They are a RIP OFF
              3 hrs 39 mins ago by [protected]@gmail.com 0 Votes

• Je
                  Jenny Burnett Apr 04, 2017

This is now happening to us -we had no idea they would pull this crap.

• Tx
                  txbro27 Apr 30, 2013

It shouldn't be legal for them to keep money that they are not providing service for . I am still going to file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner. We had a hard time with them canceling our Automatic withdrawals. We had to call them twice and they finally cancel it..The have always been honest with us before now. We had never had a boat before and so we didn't know that they did it different. We didn't even get our policy for almost 2 week, so we couldn't read it right away anyway. I don't know of to many people that read their policies when the get them. They usually just file them away. We Trusted them, and they didn't bother to tell about the canceling rule. It wasn't was like that with our car policy or home policy that we had with them. I have talked to other people and they said the same thing happen to them. This company is making a lot of money from people that are not getting service.

• Why The Long Faces Apr 30, 2013

After 35 years, you should know how your policies work by READING them. They DID tell you, they even gave it to you in WRITING. Accept YOUR fault and move on.

• Belleville Apr 29, 2013

StateFarm Insuranceprejudice vs claims, statefrm. false advertisement/fraud

Back in 2012 i was struck by a drunk driver for. Statefarm .in chytown.thanks to a crooked law firm called shapiro on lasalle st downtown whom sent me to a inadequate chiropracter, whom upon arrival stated"your only gettng 4wks of treatment, after that i dnt knw"im shortchanged, sill hurting cuz it were
                A quick sharp close hit.the attorney pulled out on me when i needed them most.per coversation with agent of stfarm.i think some attorney even frauded my signature placing. Liens vs me .in a contigency contract its pay for if a recovery.yet thanks to stfarms criminal enterprisal tactics, low life get you dopefiend manners, debauchery, horrible, screaming, yelling by alicia white adjuster.i cant take money.my spines worth hundreds of thousands but since lawyers already work in fraud from day 1.my take it or leave it threats left me to deal with stfarm anyway all alone disabled, even being screened of my disability by alicia white.im black my girls payed already shes white.infact stfarm placed a lien vs me for nearly 700.00 bucks for a bill that is allegedly payed, that my insurance has no record of.imagine that!this insurance company retaliated vs my fiance during this process, went up on her and her moms insurance, threatenly called her during the process and. Violating fullfaithcredit immunites clauses of the constitution.who gave a ins company authority to set a price on bodyparts, rule on those matters, prejudice claims, never ever return calls or treat peole neighborly.i smell a classaction lawsuit broiling i want in.!!im glad i wasnt. Fault, can i sue the cause of the accident personally. Is the questions. I dont give a care obama a fraud.too!he killed "allegedly ben laden yet this inimical ins company from cali, az, illinois, to georgia ###ing its insured and getting away with it.its [protected]@tttttttttt!! Flatout.

State Farm Insurance deceptive policy renewal

At time of renewal of my homeowner’s policy, buried within the renewal was the following: Unless you tell us otherwise, your deductible is being increased from $500 to $1, 000..

When we filed a claim we discovered that our deductible was increased to $1, 000 without our approval When we complained to State Farm we were told that this was a “legal way to notify customers” and that they are not even writing policies with a $500 deductible anymore..

The requirement for us to tell State Farm "no do not increase our deductible" violates FTC guidelines and we have filed a complaint with PA Insurance Department - no resolution as yet.

• From the second you call and ask a question statefarm labels that a claim. Heck we have towing coverage we pay extra for and since we used it twice they charged each tow as a claim. Now a heavy smoke damage claim theyve switch reps 4.5 months into the claim and gave us a whooping 2 hours for every single one of our personal property belongingsin a 3400 sq ft home. that wasnt enough time to go through our socks. Now tell us after switching claim reps and Being set up from day 1 that its our problem we never mentioned these items when they were here and another expert is coming out. Now the house is destroyed but all the clothes are fine? You deemed the mattresses unsalvagable but the sheets amd pillows on the mattresses are an issue. kharma is a real kicker and they will go belly up from class action BAD FAITH AND UNFAIR BUSINESS practice laws. they are rated I

State Farm Insurance — keith hernandez and state farm horror story

I bought insurance through state farm because their rates seemed really good and I was in a financial bind...

State Farm Auto Insuranceauto claim

On December 5th I was in a car accident. I reported it to State Farm the next morning. I spent the time to answer all of the person's questions about the accident to file my claim. She told me that the car I had added on 11/20 was still not showing on my insurance on 12/6. When I was finished she said she needed to transfer me to another department to complete the claim, which she did after she gave me the claim number. After I was transfered, that woman asked me for my claim number. I gave her the one I was given, but she told me that no claim existed. So i had to give her the information again. By then I was late for work. She told me to select a body shop and call back with the information, and I told her I would like my rental from Enterprise and she said she would have someone call me. So i got to work and found a body shop and called state farm with the information around 10 am Thursday 12/6. Friday morning I had still heard nothing from State Farm; they were trying to figure out if I had coverage, which I did. They did however get my rental set up because my car was unsafe to drive and I was able to drop my car off at the body shop. Monday morning by 10 am neither I nor the body shop had heard from state farm. So i called my claims team to check on it, and the lady told me that my car didn't have collision coverage. I told her I was holding the receipt in my hand from my agent that said I did. I gave her the policy number which was still not in the system. When it was updated, state farm said they would call and let me know. Monday evening neither I nor the body shop had heard from State farm. The body shop called me with the quote, and told me they could get started just as soon as they had the paper work from State Farm. Tuesday Morning, around 10 am, neither I or the body shop had heard anything. I called the claim team and told them the body shop was ready to start working on my car but couldn't with out the neccesary papers from state farm. So the lady checked my policy number and said that yes it was updated and she would send the papers over within the hour, that she was going to do it "right now". I called the body shop to let them know the papers were on the way, and they said they would call me when they got what they needed. An hour later they called and told me they had gotten the papers and could order parts.
                    Tuesday evening I was balancing my check book and found that Enterprise had billed me four hundred dollars for my rental. I called Enterprise to ask why I was billed, and they said that State farm entered my rental coverage as $100, when it was supposed to be $900. So the next morning I sat on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to speak with someone. She came on and I explained the situation. She looked and said, "Oh it was jsut a typo." She said she would contact Enterprise and let them know of the correction. After 3 weeks the body shop called and said the car was ready, so I headed to Enterprise to drop of the rental. When I got there, they told me I owed four hundred dollars. When I said that couldn't be right, they told me that the collision rental coverage was not covered under my rental reimbursement with state farm, and that most people's insurance lets them know that their policy will also cover the rental. I told them that NO ONE at state farm, after all of the people I had to talk to, told me that the collision rental was NOT covered and they my policy would cover the rental. There is NO way I would have agreed to the rental collision coverage if I had known it was going to cost me money, that it wasn't covered, and that my own policy that I already pay for would have covered it. I tried to seek reimbursement from State Farm through my claims team and through my agent. My agent's assistant, not my agent, returned my email and said I should talk to the claims team again. I talked to someone on the claims team and he said that State Farm coudn't cover any more than $900 because that was the policy agreement.
                    So to sum up: State farm made it was more complicated than it needed to be to file my claim and get my car repaired. Then they didn't tell me important information which resulted in a bill I can't pay, and finally NO ONE would take responsibility for it, admit that it was State Farms fault, or attempt to correct the situation in any way. On a final note, without the rental collision coverage that I didn't need, my rental will was well under my contact limit.

State Farm Insurance — failure to process claim

I was in an auto accident on 11/5/2012. On 11/30/2012, State Farm still had not processed the claim. In fact...

Stater Farm Insurancestorm damage

A tree fell on my house during the storm. I notified the State Farm Insurance where I had home owner policy, and got a an email with the Adjuster's name and phone number and email. I also went to my agent's office, where I was told to take lots of pictures and try to protect your property from further damage, and said that there is nothing they can do to assist me :(
                      After 2 weeks, another Adjuster called to tell me that he will be coming to see the damage within one week, so now it has been 3 weeks after the incident. I had a broken skyline windows where rain would bring water inside. So I brought some guys to remove the tree and secure the roof and windows from leaks, I also took 24 pictures as recommended by my agent.
                      The adjuster came in ( not the one assign to my case) spent 3 hours, barely talk to me or explain the process and left.
                      I could not wait much longer, so I brought repairer men to start fixing the damage, during this time, I send number of emails and left messages for the adjuster, none was returned or replied.
                      Went back to my agent office, and they referred me to the adjuster.
                      The repair men I hired were of 3rd class workmanship and yet the whole project cost me 16+k to fix.
                      State Farm send me a check for $10, 700 for repair.
                      I went back to my agent and seeking her help, she told me to bring my contract, which I did.
                      It was sent to the Adjuster who was assigned to my case, which by now was closed.
                      He finally called me after 3 month, saying there is nothing he can do since job is done!!!
                      This guys expected me to wait 3 month with broken roof on 3 levels, half of the deck gone till he calls me!!!
                      I canceled my policy with them, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR READER TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
                      As for their agents, they are ABSOLUTE OVERHEAD, WITH NO BENEFIT TO POLICY HOLDERS, they only time you hear from them is when bill is due.
                      If you have a policy with them, change it before it is too late.

storm damage

State Farm Insurance Companypay your damn claims!

My vehicle was hit by an inusred motorist of State Farm with my daughter driving at the time with her girlfriend in the passenger seat as a witness. My daughter was behind a Nissan Titan Pick up Truck when he decided to move into an left side oncoming traffic lane with no turn dignal on to make a right turn into his driveway. When he merged into the left lane my daughter stopped wondering what this guy was doing and he continues to sit in the left oncoming traffic lane so she waited but when he just sat there and did nothing she proceeded forward and then he decided to make the right turn into his driveway hitting her which destroyed her driverside door and ripped off her driver side mirror. State Farm is stating that becuse their insured has such a "BIG TRUCK" he has to go into the left oncoming traffic lane to make the right into his driveway which is completely absurd. They claim they have a witness, which is a neighbor of their insured and theyconsider his statement un-bias because he just moved in and he doesnt really now their insured but they cannot take a statement from the witness in my daughters car cause she is her friend...wtf??? They claim that the witness for their insured said my daughter was following to closely funny thing is this neighbor isnt a cop so who the hell is he to state and or judge thisIasked State Farm if he saw whether or not the turn signal was on but of course no, he did not see whether it was or not...how convenient for them ! By the way my daughter did not receive a ticket by the officier who came to the scene for following to closely! So what we have here is 2500.00 worth of damge to my car, a witness for the insured of State Farm who is his neighbor, State Farm wont take a statement from our witness and they have denied my claim. I have also filed a complaint with IL Dept of Insurance but I thought the public should know BEWARE of those who hit your car and are insured by State Farm because they SUCK and will come up with ### reasons to not pay to fix your car EVEN WHEN their insured is in the WRONG!!! I am not giving up though as Im taking this to small claims court where a judge WILL take my witnesses statement and they can explain to a judge how their clients truck is sooooo big he needs to drive into an oncoming left lane to make a right turn into his driveway!!

• Ps
                            PSAP Jun 23, 2013

I agree that people become victims of state farm insurance. I also would like to add that state farm agents are very unprofessional, they have very negative attitude toward people, and they are always very angry on the phone when you call them. In fact, State Farm treat people like a complete garbage, and they are able to make you feel like that if you call them. They even can not and don't want to answer a simple question when you ask them. They should either get some ethical trainings or people should stop bothering to get involved with State Farm and buy their insurances In this way State Farm will understand that they depend on the people, and people don't depend on them; their agents have their jobs because of us all.

State Farm Insurance failure to pay for repairs

State Farm was so slow to respond to my home damage . They were extreamly hard to contact in all phases of the claim process . Because of the severity of my roof damage I was forced to complete repairs immediately and becuse they failed to respond in a timely manner thet were not available to review the severity of the damage prior to my maikng thses repairs and becuse of this they informed me the the necessary repairs I had made would not be covered by them them . I think that this is a scam that they use all the time to get out of paying for urgent repairs, I'll bet they've saved millions by using this dalay tactic. I have receipts, statements and other documentation to support my claim, they just would'nt stand behind me in this matter .

State Farm Workforcefake money

State Farm WorkForce sent me check and claimed that they hire me. I had to send some money through western union and some money at Walmart. After I did it I can spend the rest of money for shopping. I was terribly scammed. All the money I spent was fake. My balance is negative.

State Farm — claims

Was involved in rear in accident the person who hit me accepted liability at fault. State Farm does no wish...

State Farm Insurance — inadiquate assistance and communication

my wife suffered fire damage on may 28 2012.the state farm adjuster, jim mcdade came out to ### the damage...

StateFarm Insuranceaccident

I was T-boned at a light, when the other car at fault ran the red light. I have tried to contact State Farm which is her insurance more than a dozen times in a three week period and have had no response. My truck is totaled and is still sitting at the wrecking yard collecting storage fees, I lost many tools that were damaged and still don't have a rental vehicle. The E.R. doctor said my rotater cuff was damaged and that i need to see an orthopedic doctor which I am unable to do with out State Farms cooperation. So three weeks and nothing!!!