Menu
Ross Dress for Less
reviews & complaints

Ross Dress for Less
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

591 complaints
89 resolved 502 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Ross Dress for Less. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:39 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have visited this store twice in the last month and the black employees there mistreat ethnic people and I will not ever shop here again and spread the word. I witnessed how in one case a Asian lady that was standing in line was asked by a clerk that just opened up her register to come check out. The Clerk Melanie that original would have checked out thi...

3:02 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was a Store Manager for a Ross store in Region 3 under Steve Reed. Ross allocates only 3% payroll to their stores and keeping them in a shoppable, well recovered manner is very challenging especially around Christmas when the stores inventory doubles from what it would normally have during March. I was put on a 90 day performance improvement plan on...

4:39 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am so mad at the experience I just had in the California Novato store that I can barely type. I bought a pair of casual women's shoes at a Ross store this week in Rohnert Park, near my work. Two days later, I went to put them on an realized one was a 6.5 and one was an 8.5. Today, I went to the Ross store in Novato at Vintage Oaks to return them. They...

7:17 pm

Ross Dress for Less - mistreated employee

Last week I learned of a Ross District Manager in the Dallas area calling an employee, "The cancer of the store." I realize that term is used among managers but never directly TO an employee. I feel that the employee has a legal grievance. This employee is being harassed because the employee is making more money than the company wants to pay. The money is well deserved. The term, "Cancer of the store" is a personal slur and is offensive to anyone of character.
If you have good advice regarding this offense, I would ask you to please leave it here on this website. Thanks for the input.

M
Dec 23, 2009 10:32 am

Ross has 23 Vice Presidents, does a small clothing discount store really need that many. Waste of money.

P
Jun 07, 2009 3:54 pm

If there is no law being violated - sex, age, religious, etc. then you can address it through channels such as filing an unprofessional or uncomfortable environment. If you want your complaint to be taken seriously then don't do it locally. Send it directly to the CEO Michael Balmuth. His phone is [protected] and his address is 1372 Broadway, New york, NY 10018.

H
Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Employers have every right to gossip amongst themselves as you do. If they are not effect the wage, nor in some way slandering this person to the point of direct emotional distress or effecting his/her job, then no you cannot do anything.

Is it tacky?

But people gossiping is not something punishable by law.

K
7:19 am

Ross Dress for Less - customers are always right?

I always read the complaints on these complaint boards and listen to customers complain about poor service, horrible retail managers and unkempt stores. And there is no argument that many retailers do themselves no favors by allowing this to continue. However, I'm waiting for the numerous complaints about rude customers, about customers that drop merchandise on the floor, or anywhere they want. I'm waiting for complaints about customers who leave there kids in the toy department to destroy merchandise that another customer may want to buy, or the customers that drop and break merchandise and just walk away as if it didn't happen. The fact is, too many individuals feel that because they are spending their money it gives them the right to be discourteous, and operate by no rules. Before you rush to complain about any retailer, examine your own behaviour in public.

5 comments
Dec 23, 2011 12:16 am

Just made a purchase at Johnson City Tn, $246.12. For 40 minutes the cashier tried to run my debit card. Swipe it again it didnt take it. Then it was, you need to use another card that one was denied. Finally the card went threw and it printed a reciept. Got home and checked my account on line. My debit card was charged 4 times for the $246.12, also a credit card was charged $246.12. In total I was Charged aprox $1250.00 for the purchase. Contacted the store manager and in a very unconcerned mannner she informed me there was nothing she could do about it and gave me a 1-800 number to call. Stayed on hold until the office closed with noone answering the phone, I have to go to a lot of trouble to have these charges removed from my accounts. The store could care less if they have caused me to have to bother with this crap. Ross Dress For Less cost me one hell of a lot. Didnt save any money and it will cost me a lot of time for there screwup.

Sep 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Wow I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Ross customers seem to be the worst. You won't trash Macy's or hell even Wal-Mart the way you trash ross. It seems like the same customers come in everyday and piss and poop on the bathroom floors, throw clothes, toys, and food all over the floor. Until customers can respect the store then I don't want to hear complaints

Aug 24, 2009 1:27 pm

I work part time in a Ross Store, that recently opened in February, (Tulsa Hills Ross in Tulsa Oklahoma). Thus far the store is still in excellent condition, although we work hard to keep it that way! By now, it could easily look like other Ross stores in the area. Sometimes the calibur of your clientele and the attitude of the customer will and does determine how well your store will be kept up. This particular Ross is in a fairly new shopping center, and we are constantly complimented on the condition of the store. I always, always make it a point to thank them, and I also throw in a comment about the customer helping us keep this store in good shape. Now before we get the store in shape before the opening of the next day, we find merchandise all over the place. It would surprise you, or maybe not how disrespectful the customers can be to the merchandise and the store. I have all too many times seen shoppers drop their children off in the toy department while they shop, and the kids tear into the packages, and leave things all over the place! My mother taught me to put things back where you got them. It is the most simple rule to follow, and would go a loooong way towards helping the employees of Ross keep the stores looking nice. After all Ross isnt in the business of having a huge payroll, because as of late, management has been requiring us to be out of the store at night within a certain time period, and this makes it hard to keep the store up, when you have constant turn over and customers trashing the stores. It's not up to Ross employees alone to keep the stores nice, it is also helpful for the consumer to just simply put things back on the shelf or racks where they belong. Hopefully this new store dosent fall victim to the trashy store reputation that Ross has, because when it does, I will quit!

B
Aug 19, 2009 2:33 am

AMEN! Goes to prove that if your trash, your trash money or not. We spend 25% of payroll just on clean up. Belivev it or not we do not go in and trash a store before ungrateful customers come in, Oh heck, the one who do mess things up can, t speak let alone read english.

Mar 17, 2009 2:06 am

Agreed!

11:50 pm

Ross Dress for Less - big mess, great deals

Even though this store looks like a bomb exploded. They still have great deals. The mess comes from the customers who just dumb their stuff in random places. I know this. I use to work there.

R

It really sounds bad in the bay area... am I glad I live Hawaii. Its not that great but then again it could be that much worse from what you guys are putting up on screen. My condolences, really.

Mar 25, 2010 4:27 am

Man I definitley know the Ross employees in the Bay Area are rude ### motha###as! They are ungreatful of their job & take it out on the innocent customers.

B
Dec 31, 2009 1:00 am

Don't shop and don't work for Ross store. Most of the employees that work there are very unhappy for their work duties, salary and not enough hours given to them. Imagine you come to work for just 3 hours and recover and clean 1 to 2 department?
Don't shop there because the merchandise you want to buy are not being treated with care. The fitting rooms are very nasty, because they have no restroom for customers, guess what becomes the restroom? Oh yes the fitting room becomes a restroom, imagine the janitor only works in the morning before the store open, there is no janitor during business day.
Don't work there because you will not get enough respect, they will make you work like a horse for just less than 3 hours and they will even cut your hours even more. Some of the employees that worked there were illegal, just here in the Bay area they have lost 35 employees after working for them for 2-3 years because they were found illegal workers. This seems to be happening yearly to the company, losing people because they were hiring illegal then 2 years later they lose employees.
Ross store is not a good place to shop and work for.

10:40 am

Ross Dress for Less - management problems

I slipped on the waxed floor in the Ross dressing room yesterday. When I spoke to the manager about it, she laughed in my face and refused to look at the floor. This was the store manager! I complained to Tony Deplasco, Larry Bennett and Steve Reed, all Florida regional managers, about compensating me and reprimanding the store manager. I was told off and hung up on by all three men listed above.

A
11:09 am

Ross Dress for Less - cigarette smoking by employees

I work nearby and it is discussed all the time about employees and management smoking out front. Customers can't get into store without passing through cloud of 2nd hand smoke or come out into it. Cigarette butts are all scattered out front and carried into stores all around. Managers and employees should have a smoke room or smoke in back of store if that is how they choose to die.

2 comments
Dec 03, 2009 4:45 am

you shouldnt trip about us ross employees smoking, all custumers get mad and cry like stupid kids they always say there neever coming back but two days later ther back. custumers think there to good but reality there shopping @ a outlet store;

about the smoking you should trip if we die smoking because for every pack of cigerets i pay for your kids to have a better live, also pays for people in hospitals thats why theres a TAX on cigerets

well have a good day and ill see you @ ross tomorrow

U
Nov 22, 2008 2:09 pm

You folks who have been so hell-bent for leather to get smoking out of the workplace will just have to understand what you created. Where there were once well ventilated and separated smoker friendly break rooms, there are none. Where once restaurants had well engineered and pricey smoking sections, there are none. Hold your breath for a few seconds while you approach the outside lounge YOU have created, and offer an ashtray, while you are at it. Most smokers prefer it to the ground.

It's coming. Your rights will be the next to be taken away for the benefit of some other group of people. Take a lesson here and learn to adapt as smokers have had to do.

10:36 pm

Ross Dress for Less - managment

I am an employee and have been at this store for a ffew years and already am tired.the assitant manager has worked everyones nerves.she (assit.mng)speaks unkindly to employees, has made employees cried.when she is left in charge of the stock room it never seems to stay 100%. Then at the end of the day she blaims the stock team and gives them an choice either move faster or get fired.One day she asked a stock person to stay and help in the stockroom and ended up leaving instead of staying. She is resposible for that stokroom and is not supppose to leave untill its a 100%. Today she came in on her day off during store hours in jeans to help.All she did was remove hardlines from boxes and dump trash..after that she was in the office and left..She did not help with staging at all..No help with stripping or hanging or running racks. She never does unless there is a visit.

She has walked away from customers when she feels she is done checking out customers. Customers do not like the way she speaks to them..I have had several customers who are regulars that complain about her. Customers complain about the way she speaks to them. How she is short with them. The assit. manager feels because she speaks in a nice tone that her words are not hurtfull or condesending. She belittles people with her words and always questions the way people do their jobs even though they have been there longer than her.

Hours are always being cut but managment never feels the voids and that is there job yet they want eveerything a 100%. The employees can only do so much when is managment going to kick it up a notch. Management is always pulling people from other areas to put them on register or stock room or the floor because of a visit yet will not be back up or stand in the fitting room for 30 min. or even 15 min.

This store is losing good people ude to lack of good managment skills and work habits. Assit. ng is black yet puts down other black employees. She only gets along with about 3 people...She will allow some toeat together all the time yet when someone else does it she is quick to end that. If someone else takes a paid 30 min. break she doesnt say a word someone else takes a 18 min. break she is all up in their butt and starts pagging them.

She will twist Ross rules to make them work for her. Noone is suppose to take a lunh 2 hours before they leave and she always does and since she doesnt have to clock in or out she aometimes takes longer than an hour. She walks around looking busy but everyone sees her doing nothing.I lnow paper work needs to be done but not all day...

DOnt think this complaint is for stupid reasons I have hada a couple of jobs where Iwas not happy so Imoved on to better pay and better work ethics... Here the pay is good the job is easy but management makes it uneasy, unpleasent, many people wanna leave, and that is not good work ethics. I do not work well with rude, stupid, igorrant people. What ever issues she has she also brings to work and she is the only one.

This needs to be confronted and taken care of. She has gone from onestore to another and issues are still the same. That should raise a red flag...

Sincerely,

An unhappy employee

D
Jul 26, 2009 7:49 pm

I was a really good customer, and now I will shop somewhere else.

D
Jul 26, 2009 7:46 pm

I was just at the Buena Park Ross, bought 5 items, came home. Noticed that I only had 4. Went back with my reciept. Was treated like a criminal!The manager, for some odd reason wanted to watch the survallance camera. What does that have to do with being shorted?Then balled all of my nice neatly folded clothes up and threw them back into the bag. He told me that he wasn't going to give me my money back for the stated on the reciept item, because, he could only see 4, even though the regist er and my wallet counted 5.Then I told him that I was going to have every known agency on his tail.And the money isn't coming out of his pocket, so what does he care?To be awnery, he sent me to another really long line to collect my money. I will never step foot, in another tacky Ross store again.And I was a very good customer. July 26th2009

Nov 18, 2008 9:36 pm

she( asst. magr ) left our store at 100 oaks to come to your store...I think she is going to be your next store manager since the Manager is gone now...Im sorry.

P
3:02 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In the month of August 2008 I submitted a application for employment. A friend of mine told me to call in September since I had'nt heard from them. She is employed their. I called and the hireing manager at the time asked me to come and finish my application process. I filled out a background check paper and finished a multiple choice test. Since I wa...

7:20 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I just want to say the managers at Ross Store Inc. in Farmington, NM downgrade their employees where others can hear and never compliment the good work they do. I want to suggest the higher ups whoever they may be visit this store and talk with the employees on how they are being treated by two of these managers. In my opinon these are not the type of...

V
9:23 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On March 10, I bought a set of four place mats and other stuffs at the Tukwila, Washington Ross Store (Store# 0044). For some reason the machine couldn't recognize the bar code of the place mats at the time I checked out. Therefore, the cashier scanned another item with same value as the place mats instead. However, I didn't realize that since both of the...

7:24 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I lost a hand-made Navajo bracelet in the Ross Dress for Less store on Almaden Blvd. in San Jose, California this afternoon. It is sterling silver with turquoise and coral stones, and has great sentimental value for me because it is one of a kind. After looking on the floor all over the store and checking the fitting room myself, I ask the loss control...

10:50 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Yesterday, I walked in ross stores at the loop, kissmmee, fl to return my short which was small in size. When I walked in there was no customer service board which I can follow and the register which was taking care of returns was lit off. I went to the next register which was purchase only assuming they are taking care of return. After waiting for 40...

U
2:44 am

Ross Dress for Less - team leader (nicole guterriez)

team leader does not know how to treat her team, she calls her team stupid people and yells at them. when i was still working for ross in guam i asked her if we are gonna finish scanning the junior pants and she just gave an attitude to me and then said that i ask a stupid question so she gave me a stupid answer, the reason why i asked her if we still continue were we left off is because sometimes when she knows that she's not gonna finish her list in that two days she tells us to not scan everything so that we can finish off faster and when it comes to reticketing she tells us to just put any price on the tag and when she is not making her numbers(the 3000 items in a day) she sometimes double scan those items.so i was just making sure if we still continue were we left off or go scan another department because sometimes she'll tell us "nevermind just go scan the other department that's on the list". and now she's saying that i am stupid, what kind of team leaders are they hiring for ross in guam? managers should check on their employees most often!

Jul 22, 2013 9:41 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I work in mark downs and this new way with for people ? I have to laugh I don't know who thought of this new way of doing markdowns ? They must of been bored while making this new program. Just remember to hit F4, other wise if you dont ? It shows your scanning even though your cleaning up and moving crap that's not suppose to be there.

I

yeah, that manager/team leader or whatever should be reported to your store manage, district manager or to hr personally. don't let your employeer treat you that way. let the higher ups know that she was telling you to do the work dishonestly.

I remembered the days when Ross demanded that the markdown team must scan 12, 000 units a day. With four people in the markdown team, it was hard work with mininum pay.

E
11:56 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Discrimination against age and race of employee. Of Russian origin and over 40 years of age, this store mistreated my wife terribly. She was required to sift through garbage to retrieve hangers, which were then used to hang clothing on without any cleaning being done. She was sent home for wearing jeans one day. Later a young Caucasian female was hired and...

8:50 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm one of those proud employees of Ross Dress for Less. (heavy sarcasm) Everything I have read on this board I can agree with. Whether it be managers that are liars, customers that are thieves, or employees that just don't give a damn, it's all true. What people just don't seem to understand is that we are a DISCOUNT store. How you cannot realize that, I...

T
8:39 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Went to return some stuff that I purchased and there was two line for two register, I went to the line for costumer service, there were two casher in the costumer service Yasmin and Daniele... The line was almost reach the restroom of the store but somehow Yasmen closed her register while the line was long and decided to take all the clothes out of the rack...

2:30 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On Fri 8/8/08 I purchased a slip cover for my couch.Well it was too short. So on Sun 8/10/08 I went to exchange it. When I walked in the store I spotted the "Customer Service" Kiosk. I walked upto it with my bag and a really rude dude in his stupid LossPrevention shirt, told me that I had to get in the line. Y'know the one that goes all the way back to the...

V
6:44 am

Ross Dress for Less - landfill in a building complete with fire and health hazards

The Bellingham WA store is an accident waiting to happen. I have complained via email to corporate within the last year about this store to no avail. Now I have taken pictures with my cell phone and started a file with all correspondence to ROSS. Why you ask? The other day I was in the store and watched a older woman fall while trying to get through the sheet isle. It is no exaggeration when I say it has to be at least 4 feet deep in the isle. It's only a matter of time before ROSS gets sued for an injury at this location(if they haven't already). It is already a fire hazard and a health hazard. I tell you, If I hear of anyone bringing litigation against the Bellingham Ross for injury, the litigants attorneys will be getting copies of my electronic letters and pictures proving they were aware of the situation and chose not to do anything about it.

They have so much stock end up on the floor which becomes totally unsaleable. Stock is mixed up so bad that it is a frustrating experience to shop there. You spend hours trying to find a matching sheet, or towel and end up just walking out without buying anything. Add to that the condition of the food section and I am surprised the health department isn't involved. There are open containers of food and food spills that never get cleaned up. I won't eat at restaurants in that strip mall because I know there has to be a rodent problem stemming from Ross.

I saw and heard staff saying that the stock people were sent home, at 2 pm in the afternoon. I have seen the same item on the floor for over a year. No one re-stocks, and the staff are all back in the dressing room area just talking and having a great time talking to their friends about the people they see on camera. I sure hope they are filming me, because I am filming them. I have gone to ROSS three times in the last year and I have not once seen anyone re-stocking the shelves.

While I was there, I overheard at least 80% of the patrons complaining about the condition of the store. From what I have read on complaint boards Bellingham is not the only store maintained in the manner. In other words, the CEO isn't doing his job, the upper level managers are not doing their job, the lower level managers are reaping the rewards in lost profits and lower wages and higher turnovers in staff.

Maybe someone needs to organize the labor in the stores. Since the word isn't going out from the top down, maybe we have to send them a message from the bottom up. Maybe if they brought up the wages and working conditions (safety being a real big issue), and staff level, the CEO's might take a closer look at how their stores are being operated. Hey, I work for a Labor Organization. I have seen where a Union comes in and turns a facility around.

Wonder why the CEO does not care that the condition of his stores represent him? Wonder why CEO MICHAEL BALMUTH has sold off 1/5 of his shares in the store within the last 3 months? Makes you want to go hmmmmm. Also, do a search on his annual salary - just in pay and bonus he is at over a million. Add to that stock, etc. he is at 14 million. That answers that question.

I am off to do some google-ing on ROSS, litigants and CEO's as well as labor organizations. I am also going to post my complaints on every consumer board I can find. I will also post a complaint with the Fire Marshall and Health Department. Don't you just love cut and paste? Good luck with that Bellingham store Ross Dress for Less. Sure hope any fines and lawsuits are hefty. I will be shopping at TJ Max and Walmart. Their stores are clean!

K
Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't think I'm out of line in speaking for all of us in the prestigious line of customer service when I say, all of you folks out there that complain endlessly to get someone fired, to get a free meal, or just to feel some small sense of power, need to get a frickin life. If you're actually taking the time and energy to send complaints over all hell and creation (about Ross no less), then you're life has taken a sad turn indeed. You might not be the one making the mess, but it's not the employees. It's the shoppers with no respect for the store or anyone else. If they hired more people, certainly it would be cleaner, but what would make the difference is if the inconsiderate, ignorant, obnoxious ### and ### would just put things back where they found them. Stop complaining to the company and the next time you see someone just throwing things about, feel free to ### them out. Till then, go back to believing what you read in the inquirer, and wondering why your only companion is a cat.

Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Suzette- you must be an employee!

True there is a lot of merchandise found on the floor.

The quickest solution to the "mess" problem is to increase the number of employees working throughout the day. Unfortunately a bigger payroll would mean higher prices. Ross would no longer be a discount store- we would have prices similar to TJ Maxx and Marshall's.

Trevor, please try shopping when the store opens. After leaving two/three hours after the store closes and coming in an hour or two early, the store is tidy (tidier).

ATTENTION ROSS SHOPPERS...

Ross shoppers, when you try on a pair of shoes, size 8, please return them to the size 8 rack with the toe of the shoes facing outward. All shoes coming off the truck are stocked in this fashion. Because no one wants to stay overnight, associates (at busy stores) will just pick the shoes off the floor and put them toe outward from where they were found. If a customer takes a size 7 1/2 shoe and leaves the pair on the floor in the size nine section, it will likely be placed toe outward there.

Ross shoppers, when you remove an item off it's hanger to look at in in the aisle, please return the item on the hanger in the section you found it. If the hanger inadvertently breaks, you may bring the merchandise to the fitting room or customer service, who will see that it gets rehung and return to the correct location on the stock floor. Because no one wants to stay overnight, associates (at busy stores) will just pick the clothes off the floor and put where they were found. The early morning crew will go around and size and sort, time permitting.

Ross shoppers, please don't open sheet, bedding, knives, underwear, food etc. packages. If you find that it is not what you wanted or needed, you can return it with the plastic package covering and your receipt. When you shop at Macy's, Filene's, Blommingdale's, JC Penny, Sears, Kohl's, Target, Wal-mart, K-Mart, etc., do you open the packages? When there's a sign that says, please do not open the packages, should you be allowed to anyways. If the sign says do not enter, should you be allowed to anyways? Should a red light be optional? When you're at your local grocery store, do you open up the jars of BBQ sauce, coffee bags, candy containers, etc.?

Ross shoppers, when entering the fitting room, please present the fitting room associate with the no more than eight items (two pieces count as two) you wish to try on. When finished please return the merchandise as you found it- right side out, correct corresponding sizing nub on hanger, etc.

Ross shoppers, when looking at a towel, if you do not like it after unfolding it, please fold and return to stack of similar towels.

Ross shoppers when looking through the lingerie, if you do not like the style of bra/underwear that you took from the rack, please return it to the correct size location.

Shoppers working with associates can make everyone's experience at Ross more enjoyable. If we (the Ross associates) deliver on our end, making sure new shoes get placed out on the floor toes facing outward with the size of shoe corresponding to the shelf, sizing and sorting all new clothing merchandise in the correct sections, all new sheets sized, all new towels color organized, all new lingerie sized, etc. and customers similarly working (or just being considerate), the Ross brand would be the fastest growing retailer. Perhaps, it could boost the economy- create more jobs. Bring us out of the nearing repression. Help reduce our dependency on foreign oil. Help reduce health care costs. End Poverty. Cure AIDS. Or, at the very least, as I suggested, make the Ross experience more enjoyable for every shopper and employee.

BTW, Trevor what does this even mean? "It is no exaggeration when I say it has to be at least 4 feet deep in the isle." And, if the stock crew arrives at 5:30 am for a 6:00am truck arrival, what time should they leave?

----

If I got a 100 dollar bill for every customer that said he/she would never shop again and was back within a month, I wouldn't have to work at Ross. Since I am not getting the $100, I would rather they not come back. But, they always do. :(

Sep 17, 2008 9:02 am

Who put the sheet in the floor?

Ross Dress for Less contacts