Reliance NetconnectUSB modem internet connection!

I brought an USB ZTE CDMA 1X MODEM from Reliance Mobile 10 days before from Reliance Mobile in Brigade Road, Bangalore. This is a post paid connection that came with my HP Pavilion Note, thinking about the mobility and net connection speeds up to 144 kbps I paid Rs.3180 for this pathetic internet connection.

The average connection speed I get is less than 15 kbps. Worst case is some times I get connection speed less than 5kbps. At these speeds even simple home page of google.com fails to load. I have done all the basic trouble shooting steps to increase the internet connection. When I called Reliance Customer Care I was transferred to their technical team, which is even worst.

The tower signal shows as full strength but the connection speed is very slow this is because reliance does not offer its customers what its promise. Reliance is company that can’t be trusted. The BSNL Dial-Up connection that I have is far better than the high speed USB modem from Reliance.

To check the internet connection further I even took my note book where there was a reliance tower. It did not make any difference. Reliance Technical Support is worst. So, I think Anil Ambani should be held responsible for all these.

My advice is, don’t buy Reliance USB modem.

• Pa
    Payal Nov 19, 2007

I should comment what Anil Ambani should do... but the story remains the same. I'm getting the connection with even slower speed than 10KBps with the ZTE CDMA 1X modem ! ... Dont know what to do?

• Pa
    Payal Nov 19, 2007

I should not comment what Anil Ambani has to do... but the story remains the same. I'm getting the connection with even slower speed than 10KBps with the ZTE CDMA 1X modem ! ... Dont know what to do? My suggestion... stick to your dial up only otherwise try for broadband ... dont go for this one!!

rachel Nov 19, 2007

I think reliance should be sewed as well for the hopeless connections they are giving out to people. it s all a hoax!, and a big money making sham.

I bought a reliance net connect for 3300 rupees, when it s only 2850. Then they writer 154 kbps on the cover, and it gives 115 kbps. the net is really slow!

Anil Ambanmi should look into the complaints of the people falling for his products!

• Na
    Nawazish Khan Nov 21, 2007

I ALSO BOUGHT THE MODEM BUT I NO COMPLAINTS REGARDING IT SPEED. I WANNA COMPLAIN THAT WHEN I CLICK ON CONNECT BUTTON. A MESSAGE BOX APPEARS SAYING MODEM NOT FOUND. IT USED TO GET CONNECTED YESTERDAY BUT TODAY IT SHOWS THIS MESSAGE. I REINSTALLED IT TWICE BUT IT SAID THE SAME THING WAT SHOULD I DO NOW. THEN I WENT TO THE PROPERTIES OF NETWORK PLACES AND RIGHT CLICKED THE CONNECTION AND SELECTED CONNECT, AT THAT MOMENT IT GOT CONNECTED.

PLZ REPLY WAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT IT!

Sanjay Ghose Nov 24, 2007

Recently I purchased a reliance USB CDMA net connect and the speed that was promised by the dealer was not given. The connection is hopeless even to open a Google search page. When I called the dealer he said that that during the day the connection will always be slow bcoz of the heavy net traffic, but it is the same even at night. I think the company should be brought to law for their false customer promise.

• Dh
    Dharav Nov 27, 2007

Your complaint is valid - but comparing it with BSNL dial up??? Thats crazy!!

Actually, Sify's 256 kbps speed gives you round 22KBps on average. So reliance's 14KBps is suitable for me. I have got it, and I am fully satisfied with it. Though I'd say BSNL Broadband is still the best - 299 for an unlimited internet connection - what can be better? :D

As far as the speed below 5 KBps is concerned - well, just reconnect. It happens with me as well, but it never gets annoying, it is that RARE!! That was a trait with BSNL dial up!!

• Dh
    Dharav Nov 27, 2007

My complaint is - whenever I login through reliance net connect, the images/photographs i see on web pages are pixelated. Any Webpage!! If I right click on the image, copy the image location and then download, everything works fine.

The point is, I dont have any problems with wallpapers and photographs not displaying properly - I can always copy their location and download them. What I am concerned about is that since every image displays that way - each and every web page looks DAMN UGLY!!!

• Pr
    Prabhash Dec 02, 2007

I totally agree with you guys for the speed as it is too slow with reliance netconnect. I just want to recommend you to go for tata indicom broadband instead of this reliance netconnect, that one really gives a good speed. Try Tata.

• Sr
    srinivas Dec 04, 2007

Hi
    The software of the device is not proparly suitable for windows. With my investigation, I found this at last. I too bought it recently. The same problems i too have faced.
    If I used it for windows XP some what ok. If it is with windows 2003 server, then it is totally malfunctioning and that application itself is being hanged up and windows cannot be stoped and you cannot use taskbar and you cannot ever remove the USB safely.
    Anyway if you are using windows XP, try to get the software patches for that windows suggested in their site. Just search for the following
    WindowsXP-KB835732-x86-ENU_1.EXE
    WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe
    WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-ENU_sp2.exe
    Just down load these files and install.

This will surely eliminates the connections problems including the safe removal of USB device provided. Regarding the speed, it is upto Reliance, normally it tries to mislead people in mass as it can since its origin.

• Da
    dave Dec 10, 2007

I was given to believe that the reliance net card works with Vista as an OS, however the connection is extremely slow. I am at a loss what else can I say.

• So
    SOHAIL AHMAD KHAN Dec 11, 2007

I bought the reliance netconnect modem cdma 1X this month and opted [email protected] plan hoping higher speed. However, this has proven to be my great mistake and useless. speed is very slow even after using netbooster. also, signal strength is almost zero from 2200 hrs. to 0100 and disconnects frequently. This frequent hanging will definitely block in-line shopping such as banking, ticket booking etc. As time is wasted during surfing, people has to pay heavily during day time. Also without surfing, the MB received metere is running very fast and any limit specified by opting other plan will give false MB download and people will have to pay again heavily. Unless,reliance shows reliability, most of the people will optout the reliance netconnect. I am waiting for the first bill and then will apply for disconnection. Now, somebody can suggest me what to do with the modem. It seems, there is a slot inthe modem to insert a seam card, which may facilitate using service from other operator such as tataindicom. I need confirmation. otherwise i will be loosing the rs. 3180, which I paid.

Salavudeen Dec 15, 2007

Hi Guys,

I am also having same problem! But i dont know what will do next? I bought modem that cost is Rs.3180/- If i would like to change to other broadband connection means what is the use that modem? Is ther any solutions or options to send back to reliance?. I spoke to customercare, he told me i have to install one new software for increase the speed but i dont know how i'll download it? If anybody know about this software download link pls reply and do the needful.

Kelly Dec 19, 2007

I'm also a victim of these products... Reliance Netconnect is WORST!!! Do not buy this product. The speed depends upon the network availability & varies as per area. Even then you won’t get good speed. Mail gets diconnected all the time.

Kelly Dec 19, 2007

Soo many people have complaints againts this product. Should go to Consumer court!!

Kelly Dec 19, 2007

So many people with complaints against these products... Sould go to consumer court!!!

Kelly Dec 21, 2007

Why don't we all gather and do something about it?.......before more people buy this product

• Ir
    I.RAJESH KANNAN Dec 31, 2007

DEAR SIR,
    THE INTERNET IS VERY SLOW. THE NET CONNECT IS RCONNECT DIALER.

• Si
    Siddharth Rai Jan 01, 2008

I completely agree with you all. Very slow connection. You need to have lot of patience if you are going to use this product and be prepared to face all kind of technical problems. You may even see Blue Screen errors!! Technical department would only ask you to re-install the software. They have no proper solution for your problem. Terminating Reliance NetConnect service was the only way I could think of to get value for money by avoiding further monthly bills.

• Vi
    Vikas Sharma Jan 01, 2008

Hey Guys,

Companies make and launch things to sell. they are hardly concerened with the fact what a consumer feels till a particular time of period (till the time their product gets publicized and has the good market hold).

I would like to ask all of you, why you guys are putting your problems here, you all must be tech savvy that is why u guys are here. Why didnt you check the feedback before buying it. And believe me, internet has everything of everyone so pls. keep this in mind and do your homework before investing your money into anything.

All the best and I wish that all of you get the cure of your problems.

Best Regards
    Vikas

• Dr
    Dr. Indranil Jan 10, 2008

I too ve the same problem and I wrote a email to the Hon President. They gave me five days time to rectify but they could rectify nothing and at the end gave-up and sent a mail stating that ; "the access speed can be upto 144kbps, but in most real-world situations, you can expect average speeds of 20-40kbps.
    Reliance Netconnect is a shared resource service. Hence the speed depends on a variety of factors, like the number of voice and data users in your area, the signal strength available at the time of connection and the site you are visiting.
    Though it is difficult to guarantee a minimum service speed, we assure you with our superior, high-speed wireless technology and high-bandwidth of an issue -free access to the Internet service."

So where was this "REAL WORLD SITUATION" mentioned in the real RELIANCE WEBWORLD brosure?
    These company only wants real business and doesnt really wants to care its customers.
    Better be aware. Look before you leap.

• Nb
    N.Bharathan Iyer Jan 21, 2008

It was a terrible mistake on my part to have bought the ZTE CDMA1X Modem and extremely thoughtless in not looking at the bagful of complaints on the internet. I acquired the modem just 3 days back by paying Rs: 3200/=. The modem connects at 28.8 kbps but the delivered speed is abysmally low - around 2 to 3 kbps. Opening of mail accounts take more than 10 minutes and by that time a timeout occurs or the communication traffic comes to a halt. Reliance has recommended using NetBooster. But this is not helping me in any way; the situation is the same as before except that I see a spinning top on the Task Bar most of the time. The CustomerCare came out with various stories about DownLoad Manager/ Disabling the Virus & FierwWall System. All this is just Tom-Foolery - the fact is, the wireless modem is no good and cannot be made to work at acceptable speeds. What shall I do with the modem that has costed me Rs: 3200? Reliance should be put in the docks for slapping the customers with such a bad product!

• Nb
    N.Bharathan Iyer Jan 21, 2008

For heaven's sake, save your money - don't buy ZTE CDMA1X Modem unless you want to go crazy!

Santosh Roy Jan 21, 2008

Ya the best part is, gift this zte modem to your mother in law, let her go crazy.

• Dr
    Dr Deepak Kumar Jan 23, 2008

I got the Reliance Net connect USB ZTE CDMA 1X MODEM for use at my home PC last month....couldnt install with the CD provided as Windows Vista doesnt support it...through Technical support of Customer care, learnt about a sotware...got it downloaded but to no avail...Im still not able to install the Modem...Reliance support asks me to consult my PC (Dell) technical support!!Can anyone helpout please!!

• Ab
    Abhinav Vaid Jan 24, 2008

I have been going through the thread and still wondering as I am not the only one who has faced this. My case is one dimension higher than what is mentioned here by various guys. i had taken the same data card connection 3 years back, it worked once and then it never worked. I am a software engineer and keep travelling. From past 1.5 years I have been sending requests to reliance guys to get the connection closed. Pls note that the first 1.5 years had gone in making support calls to get the connection working. To my surprise, the bills still kept coming. And then almost an year back, I made a registered letter to their corporate office thinking that there might be someone responsible out there. The letter had a blank crossed cheque favored to Reliance and a request to get the connection closed. The money got deducted but the connection still was not closed.

My office guy had made more than 10 visits to the reliance web world and always claimed that he is not treated properly. So 6 months back I started making visits and have made around 25 visits there and the attitude is still the same. The only thing that happened was that they started sending the local guys to my home to get the money. How shameful of them. And 3 months back when I was on an internal travel, when I came to know that the guys have been harassing and making threatening calls to my home where my wife stays alone with my baby 3 yrs old and 2 pets. And she also works as a full time software engineer. I had to discontinue the travel and come back.

I even complained to the highest authorities including the chairman of the co (apologies for not mentioning his name as he is not the one who would allow this to happen in case he really knows as to what is happening). The only thing that happened was the reliance guys did visit me (shamefully) to claim the bills of the last 2 months plus the de-activation charges for the connection that never ever worked for 3 years.

BTW, the ZTE chipset as well as the device drivers accompanied were released with my own hands and no one knows it better than me as to how pathetic and careless reliance guys have been to implement and provide services to the customers.
    CDMA happens to be a technology which is very closely integrated with the service providers and there is always a little scope in terms of the options an end user has at his/her disposal. Whatever he wants or does not want (in terms of services/apps and so on....) remains to be controlled by the service provider, reliance in this case. I think it should be taken as a responsibility and by no means should not be taken in as a divine right to harass customers. Sorry for my words, but that's the way it is.

Raghu Jan 28, 2008

I am another victim of the USB Netconnect...Can someone please help me in terminating the account. From the past 2 weeks I am calling the customer care. They gave a reference ID and said they will call me to close the ID after which I can un-subscribe. No one called me till now and I am getting billed during this period. Everytime I call customer care they say 'You will get a call ASAP' I don't know when that day comes.

Any kind of help is appreaciated.

• Gu
    gurvinder singh Jan 31, 2008

reliance modem simply ###S a lot.

i bought it for 3000/- a few months back. it really sucks !! i normally get 10-12 kbps which is more than just terrible. it takes me about 15-20 minutes just to check e-mail on yahoo or aol. reliance suck big time. i am living in a farmhouse and there are no options of broadband here. i am getting sucked big time !!! there billing is much more ###ing !!! i have subscribed to the [email protected] 400 plan. i ONLY connect to net from 10.30 to 12 in night and these ###ers give me a bill of 550-600 each month! reliance sucks guys, it just sucks the hell outta me !

ANKIT MADHOGARHIA Feb 04, 2008

IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART TO TAKE A RELIANCE NETCONNECT THE SPEED IS VERY POOR AND IT'S WORTH TO BE IN A DUSTBIN, ...

• Ba
    bala Feb 17, 2008

i want to connect internet to my laptop,plz send me the details of wireless connections details through usb mobem,schemes,speed,& prices

manish chandak Feb 23, 2008

my r no 9351363685 . i buy 3 month ago . i am very sad to buy r coonect modam. speed very slow . no service by web world .staff o web world r ilatrate abt netboster software. i have also tataplug to serve of my friend it is very good than reliance. my last wornig as a custmer if my problam not solve i will stop connection. i have bsnl brond band also it is rocking . in emergency i use my r connect i am very disapointet. kindly solve my problam urgently. my netbooster is not works properly . kinly help me. manish

• Va
    Vatsal Trivedi Feb 25, 2008

I agree with all...
    Anyway no one can do anything than scolding reliance.. Go for Bsnl broadband or airtel Grps.. It my be cheaper and faster...

• Ba
    Balathabail Sudhir Acharya Mar 06, 2008

Edit the Modem Options and change "Bits per Second" in the COM port settings from 9600 bps (9.6 kbps) to anything higher than 154000 bps (154 kbps). This should help. It might be the COM port setting that is restricting the speed rather than the Modem itself. I have been using R-Connect of Reliance on various mobile handsets and was initially grappling with the same problem 4 years back, but fixed it 4 years back itself. I have subsequently changed three handsets and have had no problems since.

rahul bakshi Mar 18, 2008

I had purchasec reliance zte cdma 1x before 1 month but i am not too satisfied with it because it works very slow. I have to wait a lot for any site to be open completely. File downloading speed is also very slow.

• Vi
    vinay singh Mar 26, 2008

Hi Dear

Chaitanya Mar 26, 2008

I am not completely agreed to this, I think you are not yet cleared about the speed, when they say 144 KBPS, that means its Kilo Bits Per Second, not K Bytes per second, now if you receive 15 KB download speed that’s means that you are almost getting committed speed.

Also if you look at the other wireless internet options in India, I have also used Airtel Mobile Office and Airtel Datacard, as well as Tata Plug2Surf, in compared to those its quite better.

Though they are planning to introduce the Wimax in matro citis by 2009, so until then we will have to bare with it.

• Su
    Suresh RR Apr 04, 2008

I too agree with you. I brought Reliance USB Card on Mar/2008. I am in chennai. the speed is very slow, not even reaching 5kbps. between 1am and 5am, its reaching <20kbps.

I have complained many times, but no use..

sandeep Apr 09, 2008

Hey frnd,
    i bout d same ZTE frm relance n will never recommnd ne to go for this product coz u never buy ne net connectivty but only Frustration and depression from reliance, they have cheated the public all the way n never cud stand by der rpomises,
    i cald customer center 100 of time but wat all they can do is ###, they tr to confuse u n kep all the bloody reson, which u dont want to belive,
    i have registerd the complant say that i want to return d product back to the company as i never cud use it and askd to return the money and still they dont respond...i firmly belive that their shud be strict lawa against these kinda cheat players in the market,
    after all when we spnd money accordngly we deserv good service,

• Su
    SUJIT May 08, 2008

I faced the same proble with this netconnect as well. First of all the connection was activated after four days from the purchase of the USB Modem. Then after some 6-7 days my services were barred stating that i have crossed my credit limit of 800 rupees.
    The net bill for 7 days was Rs. 1189.53 and the usages were shown to be 74 hours..

• Bi
    Biju May 14, 2008

hey guys

Recently reliance Launched a schem 2 months free for netconnect ..USB ZTE CDMA 1X MODEM and if i could have seen this comments i could have escaped but when into the trap of relienace and... and i am not able to do any thing with this it connect only at 28.8kbps and after 9Pm not able to open any of the sites and it shows speed less than 15kbps and even the customer support is Pathtic, I will never be able to forget such pathetic service & performance from the product

please dont buy this you will be cheated.

Regards
    biju

• De
    deep thakker May 24, 2008

this is the worst gadget that i have ever used, sometime the speed is 5kbps and average is round about 20kbps it is slower than bsnl dial up connection.My advice is not to buy reliance netconnect.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices