PSI Testing CenterExam scores

D

I have taken the PSI Real Estate State Exam 3 times.
I studied from a book that said "Pass the Real Estate Exam the First Time." I studied the material, on all the examinations I took I scored from 85 to 100%. When I took the exam, most of the questions in the exam were not in the material that I studied. Especially the questions that they ask about Miss Utility. Even at that, I still don't believe that I missed 10 questions. I spent countless hours of studied time, and also have previous experience as a real estate agent. They tell you that you have 40 questions on the test, but in taking the test there was 50 questions. When I talked with PSI they informed that the additional 10 questions are not counted against you, and that these questions are asked to get more test questions. But expecting to test on 40 questions, and then there are 50, kind of throws you off a little bit. My first examination I didn't pass, which cost $60.00.

I asked if I could retake the exam. I was informed that I could do it as a walk in the next day at 12:30pm, but it would costs another $60.00, and an additional $15.00 that had to be in a money order. But I shouldn't make it out to anyone. So, that afternoon, I did get a money order for 15.00, left it blank, (paid PSI over the phone the $60.00) and the next day arrived at the PSI Testing Center. The evening and morning before the test, I restudied, also found a resource on the internet on Real Estate Regulations that consists of 84 pages. Studied this also, along with the real estate book that says pass the first time. Arrived at the exam center to take my exam for 12:30pm as a walk in. As I was checked in I was told to make the money order out to PSI.

I took the exam, double checked my answers, and was confident that I had passed. They have a survey at the end of the exam that you take before you get your test score. So being confident I had passed, even though unsure about the Miss Utility questions asked, that where probably 2 questions, I did the survey, gave an excellent score. Ended the test, and didn't pass again. The proctor signed me out, as he did, he wasn't able to choose my name, because an error came up. So the other proctor signed me out, and I informed her, that something wasn't right, because I know that I didn't miss 10 questions. This time I missed it by 2.

I contacted PSI to let them know that there was an error in scoring my exam. I was told that if I would have made a comment on any of the questions than they would be able to do something. That there were no adjustments that could be made. In PSI's bulletin information, it state's, should there be error, which is "rarely". That scores would be adjusted. Meaning that it does happen sometime.

After, awhile I cooled down. My husband encouraged me to retake the exam. This online exam company did cover the material on the exam. So I studied that, along with the regulations that I found on the internet, that also covered material on the exam. I took the exam until I scored 100%. But, still no information on Miss Utility. I did find information about Miss Utility on the internet. Studied that. But, still unsure if it was enough information to cover any questions on the test. So, I took the exam again. Didn't pass. Missed it by 1. On this same computer, the proctor was not able to print out my score, the other proctor had to. I noticed that these were different proctor's than before. I asked what happen to the other proctors, the gentlemen gave me info and stated that they were a husband and wife team. I also informed the proctor, that I know that I didn't miss 10. He encouraged me to try again, since I just missed it by one. I was really upset. Because, I double checked my answers, and knowing in my heart, that I didn't miss 10 questions on the test.

In regards to the questions. in the prep exam book, that I have, it states that you have 3 banking business days, to deposit an earnest money check, but in the other information, that I have, it says 5 banking business days. I went with the 5 banking business days, which seems to be correct according to one of the questions on the 3rd test that I took. $195.00 have been spent on a test that costs $60.00.

I have also sent an email to the President, in regards to this issue.

"I just want to sell real estate"

Mary Childress Dec 04, 2020

Something isn't right here for sure. I'm so glad I found other people saying the same thing I experienced so I know I'm not crazy. I took the GA real estate exam and I was also completely confident I was going to do totally fine that day and I'm not a good test taker, so that says something that I was feeling confident going in when I'm normally terrified and nervous. I was prepared and I knew it. I made a 97 on the final exam for my course, I purchased a cram course and was able to ace those practice tests, I took exams on other websites and aced those, I purchased the practice exams from PSI and aced that, I studied so hard for this and I knew I was ready. Well, apparently not because unlike all the other exams and tests I had taken where I made a 95 or above, I failed by 2 points. I noticed there were 157 questions and not 152 questions. I also noticed they used words I had never seen in my life and know one of them was NOT a real word at all. and I giggled to myself thinking it must have been an extreme typo. I remembered it started it "aa" and I couldn't remember the word but when I got home I typed aa into dictionary.com and low and behold, there's only a couple of words that start with that and it wasn't one of them. It just wasn't a word, period. There were questions that were completely unintelligible and impossible to make out what they were asking. I couldn't have answered them correctly because they made absolutely no sense. The notion that they just throw extra questions in there for whatever reason they came up with and they don't count against you is ridiculous. For one thing, the GA RE commission governs the questions on the exam, they say it's 152 questions, and if they are just tossing in extra questions, then that needs to be looked into. I really think they use those extra 5 questions to replace 5 other questions you answered correctly to give them a better chance to fail anyone that is right on the cusp of passing, so they can make more money off people having to re-take the exams. I reported this to the GA Secretary of State today (because after looking at the Commission's website, I couldn't figure out who else to report it to). If I fail my second attempt I'm letting the whole thing go a lawyering up. This sounds like it's happening to too many people all over the country and a class action needs to be filed against them to give the test takers back their money for the exams, practice exams, and to compensate us for the course we had to take and the opportunity to be working and making money.

• Da
    Darrell the builder Aug 31, 2019

I can almost relate to your complaint
    I also feel something is wrong with the scoring system. The residential builder exam is an open book test and supposed to have 110 questions but they give you 120. I took the test 3 times and failed miserably all 3 times. The first time I studied an online course that had questions not on the test and I had the wrong code book. I knew I failed before I finished. Only got 40 out of 120

The second time I had the correct code book and got 28 more questions right and was 8 away from obtaining a passing score. 77

The 3rd time, I took a 2 day seminar to prep me had all tabs and highlighted items in my books and was very confident I would pass. I failed again missing 8 more questions than I did on the previous test. The residential builder test is open book and I literally looked up the answers to 80% of my questions to confirm they were correct. So in the worst case scenario I would have gotten an 80 only needing a 77 to pass. I failed scoring a 60
    I got a 60 when I know I got atleast 80 right because I was able to find the answers in the books. This tells me something is very wrong with the scoring system or the answers in the book don't match what they have. It's hard for me to believe I missed 60 questions when I looked up and confirmed 80. I will definitely be on the phone Tuesday morning calling PSI because this is ridiculous.