PNC Bankoverdraft charges

R

PNC charges incorrect overdraft charges by putting through the largest amount first which is the exact same reason Bank of America had a lawsuit which forced them to refund money to millions of their customers. Not only that. They charged these fees on a Saturday when there system does not process deposits. There was about $700 in ACH deposits that are coming in over the weekend, which if this was a weekday, would have offset the small amount. The account went over by one small amount less than $50 from one transaction, which resulted in 4 overdraft charges.

The cost to them will be I am removing my account with $10, 000 a month in transactions over this $144 fee. The fees and abuse needs to stop.

• Sl
    slpsms111 Dec 05, 2011

The first two months with PNC...they denied a mortgage payment on my practice despite over $500K in assets with the bank because they stated the check signature did not match that on record, despite the fact that I had been making that payment monthly for years, formerly with National City and then the past month with PNC. Took a bit to straighten that out and no less than six calls to half a dozen departments to find someone that had a clue how to resolve the issue. A few weeks later, I am in the bank attempting to cash a $200 check from the same account and they will not cash it because they do not have a signature on record in their national database. Really? So first my signature didn't match the one you had on file and after supposedly resolving that issue I don't have a signature on record?? Maybe another half dozen calls to get it straightened out again. The comedy of errors just continued for the next few months before I recognized the fragmentation within the bank, the lack of professionalism, the inability to resolve bank issues, and the complete lack of inter-departmental communication. That's all I needed to let me know there is no way I would trust this bank with my personal finances or my the finances of my practice. 15 years with PNC without complaint. Now, several months with BMO Harris, Chase, and Fifth Third without issue. PNC doesn't get another chance, however...horrible bank.

jaberwocky Nov 20, 2011

if you went over, even by a small amount, that means YOU screwed up and need to learn to balance a checkbook.

• Ou
    Outraged Single Mom Sep 02, 2011

PNC is the worst "bank" ever! It was a wonderful establishment when it was MidAmerica. The people were friendly, the service wonderful, and there were NO HIDDEN FEES!! Also, if I didn't have enough money to withdraw, it always TOLD ME SO -- it did not allow me to keep taking money out of the ATM, and charging me up the wazoo in overdraft fees and daily NSF fees. MidAmerica (and later National City), DID allow overdraft on CHECKS -- to cover bills, expenses, etc. It did allow one to pay the bill, and then be dinged the appropriate overdraft fee. HOWEVER, it also NOTIFIED you more quickly. A statement went out as soon as the first overdraft occurred so the customer would not rack up huge deficits in overdraft fees. One would not be allowed to overdraw on the ATM card, at least not as far as I know, I was never able to do so. If I only had $50 and wanted to withdraw 80, it would tell me there was not enough money in the account. It would not give me the 80 and then charge me $35 in fees. PNC is a corrupt, fee-driven establishment.
    Just this morning, I learned, via a co-worker (also dissatisfied with PNC), that our direct deposit pay checks WERE NOT posted at PNC! She checked with our payroll dept and they checked into the matter, finding that everything on our end of things went through correctly and on time. The problem lies with PNC. This particular payroll clerk had since received MANY phone calls from other employees with the same complaint. This is a holiday weeked -- people NEED their money to travel, to get their kids to college or buy things for their kids in college, etc. Not to mention people need to PAY BILLS AND EAT! Don't [email protected]#k with people's pay, PNC!! I would pull out of PNC, however, my daughter, who just started college (yes, I'm one of those parents I mentioned above), is literally forced to bank at PNC because it is the ONLY BANK ON CAMPUS. They have monopolized the university. The closest other bank is miles away in town. Convenient PNC -- for YOURSELF, that is. Rope 'em in while you have them captive. And, of course, if kids do bank elsewhere, the only ATMS on campus are PNC -- meaning they will charge high fees to those students using non-PNC debit cards.
    If I do not have my paycheck in my account by the end of the day, I'd like to know how PNC plans on compensating me -- and countless others in the same boat. I don't have enough in my account to carry me through the long weekend and pay bills. I want my PAYCHECK. NOW!

• Sh
    Shotzie111 Jan 06, 2011

The issue I believe she is stating is the same issue I have had. When a mistake is made this bank totals up all the charges in PENDING column. When the total is greater than the amount available they charge overdraft fees on all of it. When she made her purchases she was still in the positive (as it sounds) and afterwards her husband made withdrawals that went over. instead of waiting for items to post and cause a negative issue they charge while pending, even if you discover the mistake and deposit money to cover before the items actually post to the account. I gladly pay if I made a mistake (or calculated risk) but when fees are unfair I have a problem. However, my local branch manager is very good at trying to help when possible which seems to be an exception to most peoples experiences at other branches.

jake-tha-snake Jul 29, 2010

So I looked at your complaint and noticed a few things out of place...

1.My husband was not aware of the balance left and took out $103.50 (twice) through ATM machine.-- in response to this your husband took money from a non pnc atm due to the amount being uneven... so who knows if that atm was online or offline... not that I am saying this is an excuse but still your husband used a non pnc atm sometimes when those machines are offline it does not know your true balance and belive me non bank atms will give you money as much as they can its not their problem...

2.I called the bank and spoke to representative and saw the charges, instead of helping me solve this issue (which I take responsibility getting charge for the money that my husband withdraw), he has the nerve to tell me to watch how I spend my money and that he cannot do anything for me to resolve it.--- how manys times have you overdrawn your account? is this a first time? or do you call in every week for a refund? if the od fee's are $36 then this is not your first time because the first time is $25 per item a max of 4 overdraft can be charged per day.

3.My husband and I have a checking account (debit card) NOT Credit card...This bank is making way too much money scheming people, advising them that you cannot get the money out of your account if you do not have enough.---maybe its time to cut your debit card up... if your debit card its cut up or closed per your request then their will be no possibly way to pull money out of an atm of make debit purchase.

4.oh, and the 4 of those charges are less than $5.00). I am IRATE and very DISSAPPOINTED at this bank.---- they have listened the customer pnc no longer charges od fees if at the end of the day the account is negative under $5 i know it didn't help you then...

my thoughts: I am not saying the bank is right and I am not saying your wrong... But you have to understand how the incident started your husband made the error! if he did not do that then you would'nt have been in the situation.. Also when you made your debit purchase's you had money in the account at the time so of course they went through but when the merchants came to collect their money your husband took it out twice... if you have $1000 in your bank account and you subtract every item you spend even if it hasn't been presented to the bank they you will never overdraw your account. You are in control you your debit card and the money thats in the account the bank does not go out and spend it for you... so if you want to "beat the bank" keep track of everything thats all.. and believe me if you keep up the habits with pnc and go to another bank with those habits then your going to be in the same boat... thanks------jake---the--snake

• Up
    upathetic Dec 08, 2009

AniOR -- why would someone from the banks be telling people how to AVOID overdraft fees? The banks want to keep collecting that money.

AniOR Dec 01, 2009

Note to all of above ~ this "Maggie" makes a habit of making inane derogatory comments on complaint pages about banks. See "Maggie" profile and comment list. and also note this "Maggie" is always in favor of the banks. Could this "Maggie" be the bank? Such as the establishment itself that we all are bangin our heads against?

• Oc
    OctG65 Nov 21, 2009

After charging my purchases, I have $55.00 left in my account. This account is joint with my husband. My husband was not aware of the balance left and took out $103.50 (twice) through ATM machine. This bank allow the money to be taken out after the fact that it only has $55.00 available, and charge me $36.00 on each item that I already purchased totaling $288.00 (6 charges). Now this is an ATM NOT Credit Card as I was aware and representative from bank advised me that it should not let the money go through if there's only $55.00 available. I called the bank and spoke to representative and saw the charges, instead of helping me solve this issue (which I take responsibility getting charge for the money that my husband withdraw), he has the nerve to tell me to watch how I spend my money and that he cannot do anything for me to resolve it. Not one single overdraft charges was placed back in my account. This is OUTRAGEOUS!!! My husband and I have a checking account (debit card) NOT Credit card...This bank is making way too much money scheming people, advising them that you cannot get the money out of your account if you do not have enough. (oh, and the 4 of those charges are less than $5.00). I am IRATE and very DISSAPPOINTED at this bank.