Menu
Home Antivirus Software Norton fraud and scam

Norton review: fraud and scam

E
Author of the complaint
10:43 am EDT
Replied
The company left an official comment on this complaint.
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I haven't used Norton or any Symantec products for three years and my credit card expired. They pushed through the charge without
a) getting my new expiry date
b) emailing me before or after the charge
c) sending me any sort of download for whatever product I paid for.

Not only bad business, but fraud, in my opinion.

More Norton complaints & reviews

Norton - unauthorized payment
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Norton - credit card being charged after I cancelled the renewal
Norton - norton finance - like net66 - just can't keep a promise.
Norton - unauthorised payment taken by norton
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Norton - security software has been removed and you have removed fees from my bank
Norton - unauthorised payments
1400 comments
Mar 13, 2020 4:26 am EDT

MY NORTON BILLING INFORMATION

I specifically opted for No Automatic removal last December 2019, yet Norton renewed my subscription without my consent.

Tried to contact them but in vain.

For an IT company like Norton and Symantec they have made contacting them online or through "CHAT" next to impossible. You simply get the run-around

Order Number:

AUD 13.18

Total Amount:
AUD 144.99

Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm EDT

August 24th 2009 Discover recieved a charge for 46.98 from Symantec for Norton anti virus update. Since then I have recieved flags on my computer saying that my service has expired. I have tried in vain to get a response. I finally put on a 30 day trial and two days later was reminded that it would be expiring. my # is [protected],
according to Discover card. Either you should secure my service or refund my credit card payment.

Dec 26, 2008 6:45 pm EST

I ordered on line Norton Internet Security 2009 - Renewal and extended Download Service. Total $68.98 on Dec. 19th, 2008 and used my Visa to pay for it. I was downloading it - I don't know if I did it right, but --- I keep getting E-mails that in 22 days it expires. I made a copy of the E-mail with product Key - Serial number etc, as proof that my Visa was charged with this. Please check and see why the E-mails and is it downloaded?

L
Sep 23, 2008 12:42 pm EDT

I did not authorize Symantec to charge my credit card $39.99. I have NOT used Norton Antivirus in two or more years, so I am not happy with the charge on my account. Please credit me the amount charged to my credit card. What gives a company the right to automatically charge someone's credit card without contacting the person to validate or authorize the charge? That is completely unethical and illegal.

W
Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am EDT

I have a charge of 62.14$ on my credit card for "Norton Annual Renewal" that I have not authorized. I have not been using this product for some time now. When I call the number on my statement, I get a nifty message telling me how important it is to keep the product, then when put on hold, they play the most annoying music to dicourage you from holding the line. There is no way of reaching them. How do I go about getting a refund and avoiding such a scam in the future?
And I thought that nortaon would be a trustworthy company!

Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm EST

I was charged twice $ 99.99 by Symantec for removing a virus from my pc and charged $ 139.99 for removing a virus and for an annual renewal fee which I didnot agree to. I called Symantec and talked to a customer service rep and he agreed that Symantec did owe me the money. I asked them to send a fax to release my funds but was informed that this company does not fax.

Mar 28, 2009 2:13 pm EDT

I Wanted just the Norton system, now I`m being
charged 66.98 for DRI* Symantec HP CP Which
I do not want and can not afford. I would like to have the money back.

F
Feb 15, 2010 7:14 am EST

I was charged for 2 virus downloads that i don't have on my computer.My computer has been in the shop .I wan't my $64.99&$74.99 back.

Nov 11, 2008 2:51 pm EST

we received a charge of $194.84 for a Norton Annual Renewal charge. This charge has been done by an employee on their corporate card, but the employee has been terminated for over 9 months and we don't have Norton on any of our computers. We have cancelled the card but the bank tells us that because it is an annual charge, we need to call you guys to stop it. I have been trying to call you but I have have been on hold for 3 hours and 8 minutes and still have not talked to anyone.

Will someone please contact me to discuss these charges or please send me a contact number that has people actually taking calls on.

Thanks much!
-Donna Hinze

Aug 24, 2016 2:17 am EDT

I mehdi Ghorashi Zadeh, tried to renew my norton antivirous, but your automated renewal rejected my both password and my Master Card's security number at the back of the cared, i called help desk but he solicted me and he wanted charge me for installing the norton'sw antivirous. would you please call me for help!

Aug 05, 2016 2:36 am EDT

I was doubled charged on my account for renewal of Norton anti-virus protection for my computer. One occurred on 2/12/2008 and the second one showed up on the next bill dated 3/21/2008. The charges were different each time. one was for $59.99 & the other for $49.99. I would like this rectified & credited back to my account. In the meantime I will contact the credit card company to also look into this.

Jul 13, 2016 7:29 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

norton anti virus kept continuously every 5 minutes sending warnings that i needed to purchase norton antivirus. day in day out every 5 minutes 24-7 that i was on my computer.they wouldn't leave me alone. then my computer starts saying that i have a virus. on march 5, 2011. i purchased norton antivirus. but i could not get it on my computer. march 10, 2011 i called norton and explained to them that i could not get my computer and norton antivirus to work together. the key number they sent me at my email address was not able to allow me to use it to start my norton antivirus. march 11, 2011 i called a norton representative who told me that i needed to purchase a norton product because someone had hacked into my computer, this would cost me 299.99 . i told the representative that i did not have that kind of money, he then told me that the norton company could not help me. good-bye. later on i called another norton represenative and explained the story to him, he told me he could take care of everything without it costing me 299.99, it would only cost me 49.99. i was confused, and very uptight this norton company were trying to take me for a ride finanicially. i know without a doubt norton antivirus are responsible for the virus my computer had gotton in the first place. i am not a dr. of any kind. but i am not stupid either. the way the events played out no one except for god can convince me, that they are responceable for all the trouble i went through. if i can find a way to prove it, i will be suing them, that is just wrong, they are supposed to be a company that provides a serves to people, not cons them and cheats them out of their money. marie rava

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

The original Norton 360 version was removed when my computer was hit with a virus (Trojan). I called and ordered a replacement antivirus to download. The gentleman I talked to told me that I should receive it within 2 to 4 days. I renewed the order then and extended the product for an additional year. Haven't received it yet.
My original order from the Symantec Store was on Dec O8. The order number is [protected].

This is not a complaint. It is a status check on the shipping date of this order.

Thanks.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Earlier this year I attempted to cancel my Norton Internet Security via their website but failed as there was no way they allowed for it. I therefore talked to a live person at their call centre who took me through an incredibly complicated process but assured me that the subscription has been cancelled. This was at least 6 months ago. Now, I have just received a notice that they are going to charge my credit card and renew again automatically. How on earth can I get this sorted out permanently?

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Notron has charged my Credit Card for a renewal to my anti virus when the anti virus has not yet expired. The Ref #180-068-0026GBR. I want this amount refunded back to my credit card. I only renewed the anti virus a few months ago and never authorised them to take money without me doing the transaction myself. NOT HAPPY!

N
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Was charged $79.99 from my credit card with out my consent, this is the statement that showed up on my Credit Card Statement: 24/10/2010 NORTON ANNUAL RENEWAL 180-068-0026GBR $79.99

I just want my money back and for them to get a smack on the wrist for doing so, and I am not the only one as I can see by my google search!

Mic

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

My Name is Michael Everett I never charged your software to my bankcard I don't Have a computer. I have no idea how you could have billed my debit card and I received my Bank statement and my card shows it has been processed and my Bank account was charged $79.99 on April 18. 2013 tact me back . I will have no choice but to call police Please give me my money back. Please contact me back I can be reached by CALLING [protected]

J

On 02/09/12, I went on line to purcase the Norton Internet Intersecurity program for my new desk top computer. I never received a confirmation number, and I kept seeing "ALERT you must buy before free time has ended." I reentered all information again on 02/20. This time I did receive a conformation number: NP126131917. I was billed for both of them on my VISA card. Please give me credit for one of them. Thank you.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I am urging all of you which have complaints with the Symantec Corporation or Norton Security Suite or any other company to contact the Better Business Bureau because they will help you and the company doesn't want any record of complaints. So, instead of writing, which I know is very frustrating, contact the BBB, please you'll be much happier.

W
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

On March 19, 2008 I extended my Norton internet security for Windows xp & up graded as well, to accommodate additional computers (Order # [protected]) @ $69.98. On March 29 you charged me for a Norton annual renewal @ 52.99. Some how or other someone in your organization failed to notice the duplication in billing. A credit for $52.99 should be forthcoming, hopefully soon.

Willis Cashman.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

In reviewing my credit card bill I noted a 3/14 charge for Norton Annual Renewal Norton.Comics CA. I no longer use Norton on my computer so this is a bogus charge. When I contacted my credit card company they gave me this website.

C
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I placed an order for Norton order #[protected] on 8/14/09. The application that was downloaded will not work. I called two times tonight, after waiting 29 minutes the first time the lady told me I had the wrong number and to call another number, I called that number the lady after waiting 10 minutes told me that I was at the wrong place and she transferred me, 45 minutes later and no one answered the phone.

I want my account credited, and I want it credited within 24 hours.

This is no way to treat your customers. If you are so busy that it takes so long to talk to someone on the phone, maybe you should hire more people, or make sure that your product works properly.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I purchased online 2 downloads from SYMANTIC one an antivirus program and another download that promised to correct allproblems with my computer. TOTAL COST:$150.76 ON 11/26/2007. I have not be able to use either program because my computer's WINDOWSXP IS so corrupetted as to be nonfuctional. Since I did not consider the purcase final until a complete download & installation, I was schocked to find the charge for the programs on mt credit card.
I have been trying to seek a refund for this purchase from SYMANTEC but their website is useless in trying to input a request for a refund. FURTHERMORE THEY DEMAN AN ORIGINAL RECEIPT WHICH IS QUITE A FIT SINCE PRODUCTS WERE PURCASED ON LINE AND SINCE I COULD NOT INSTALL THEM I COULD NOT PRINT A COPT OF PAYMENT SO I CAN'T SUPPLY SYMANTEC A COPY. THE ONLY COPY I HAVE OR PROOF OF PURCASE IS THE CREDIT CARD BILL WHICH SYMANTEC SPECIFICALLY SAYS IT WILL NOT TAKE.
CAN YOU SUGGEST ANYTHING SHORT OF SUING IN SMALL CLAIMS.THANK YOU ROBERT BENCIVENGA

A
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Ever since I have used Norton 360 my computer has crashed twice and runs slower. Norton 360 has caused me nothing but trouble. Not a good product.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I was charged twice for subscription with Norton Internet Security (Symantec). On my credit card the dates show Sept 18, 2008 and Sep 19, 2008.

Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have ordered a new anti-virus program from Norton Anti-virus and have proof that I have paid for a two-year renewal of the protection I now have. Now I have received a notice from Norton that I have seven days left on my subscription. I should have two years and 7 days. I am not going to pay for something I have already paid for.
Please credit me with what I have paid for.

Donovan L. Welch

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Used to use norton system works, but upgraded a year ago by downloading the software during my anti - virus renewal. . . Have had problems with tech support since then. They force you to run a client that frequently disconnects. They also always want to run remotely to 'do their thing' on your computer with out telling you what they're up to. 3x they uninstalled, reinstalled my software but never did fix the problems i had.

Backup never worked, just gives me error that i need to buy more space. That's because they reinstalled 3x, so there are 3 bu file locations under different names! They can't resolve this nor could they delete the bad backups.

You need version 2 'in the least' as version 1 live update just runs forever.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Attempted to renew Norton AntiVirus Prof. Subscription online. Attempt failed but only after I gave my credit card information. I was contacted later same day (9/24) by a tech person by phone who also needed my credit card info. Tech person successfully renewed my subscription but my credit card got charged twice for the same service.
The order # that was NOT completed online is [protected].
The correct order # cpmpleted by phone is [protected].
Contact Information: Roger Dupont 77 Padlock Lane
Centerville, MA 02632
Email address: radupont@verizon.net
Telephone #: [protected]

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

We signed up with symantic 4/3/7. Our computer crashed in July of 07. When we got a new computer on October we went with Mcafee. We havent used your inferior product for a long time and we did not authorize the charge for 3/19/8 of 62.39. We contacted your company on 3/19/8 via email to tell you that we never authorized this charge it was fraudulently put on my credit card and we want it removed I have contacted my credit card company and have submitted the proper paperwork and documents. As of today they will credit my account and I request that you never be allowed to charge anything to my credit card.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I was billed for an annual renewal even when I had no computer for the anti virus to protect. Prior to that I was billed a second time when one contract was only 3 months old (have 2 service contracts running concurrant. Never got a response from an email about the situation.

S

Hi
I bought my Norton antivirus software four months ago along with my new laptop at curry’s shop; however since I was offered free 90 days trial I did not install the CD. My free trial ended yesterday so I installed the CD but that’s where the problem begins it failed to activate/set up. I kept on getting the message that setup cannot be found and was told to enter CD, while the CD is actually in my computer. I have tried several times re-entering it but it still won’t work. The free trial was working without a problem but with the CD it fails to set up. I'm really frustrated about this and don’t know what to do.
Nothing happens after I have entered the CD; it just won’t open up or be allocated. It seemed fine when I was installing it and entering the product key. After installation i was told to restart my computer however that’s where the problem starts. I have tried solving the problem by using some of the links to fix installation difficulties and none of it works. It seems like a hopeless situation, I have spent over £100 on this along with my Microsoft office for something that won’t install. I still have the product key and the CD and need desperate guidance to set it up on my computer for full protection.

Sukai

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I have spent 3 days online and on the phone trying to resolve an issue with retrieving files backed up online. Still I still have not been able to find a qualified support person...

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

After being notified that my Norton Virus was about to expired, I went ahead and purchased it at DRI Symanticstore.com www.myord.commn only to find that it would automantically be continued on my PC. I did the same thing last year. How can I get this off of my credit card? I partially installed it on my PC and am now having trouble with my PC...help!

L
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Norton 360 is impossible to download. There is no Phone number or e-mail address for assitstance. I have spent hours trying to download the product or trying to find support, I will never do this again and warn others from trying

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

My credit card was charged a renewal without my permission. I have just renewed my norton it cost me 59.99 plus a 9.99 charge for extended download service. I want this charge reversed.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I have been using the McAfee internet security for three years and have never had any problems, however the other day i switch to Norton because i am told it's better and i fell for it! I had to wait up to 5 hours for Norton Internet Security Suite 2007 to install and do a "quick" scan which was the slowest ever; compared to McAfee which took me about 5 minutes to install and half and hour for a full computer scan! Norton always says that your computer is not safe and needs updates.

when it searches for these updates they do not exist! so whats the point? and the 5 hours that i had the Norton it let in 6 viruses and 2 hackers that i had to get rid of manually. this just proves that the Norton "security" is crap! DO NOT GET IT! TRUST McAFEE!

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

As my invoice from you should be charge 50.80 canadian $ but some how I got chareged on my credit card 49.99 U.S. $ which in my staement charged 52.04$ canadian.

S
Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

This was my third try to order and download Norton internet software. I got a free trial period when I purchased
my new HP computer. My expiration date was/is 02/14/2010. I have been billed (order # [protected] dated
02/14/2010) for the software.

Please cancel and I will buy locally and load locally.

You should have a better system because this process doesn't work.

Please confirm (hikerbob12@juno.com

thank you.

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

I renewed the norton internet security subscription on Sept 1, 2008. It was supposed to expire on Sept 2, 2009 but already it's telling my that it's expired. Can you please explain why when I've purchased this at $39.99 on line why it's expired? I'm not very happy that I've paid for a full year and it only lasted for less than a month! If this is the case I would like a full refund and I'll go purchase the cd at the store to put security on my computer.

I look forward to receiving an answer on this asap

Kim Painter
[protected]

Jun 09, 2016 3:39 am EDT

Norton subscription renewed 5/9/08- subscription updated one year notice 5/12/08 dri*symantec subscription needs updated. Paid again but did not get additional year on subscription.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

406 complaints