Having problems with Bitdefender?

Bitdefender reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 12, 2008. The latest review Auto renew - unauthorized was posted on Aug 31, 2021. The latest complaint subscription service start was resolved on Jun 24, 2021. Bitdefender has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 48 reviews. Bitdefender has resolved 22 complaints.

Bitdefender Customer Service Contacts

+40 213 001 226 (Romania)
+40 374 303 027 (Romania)
+40 212 641 794 (Worldwide)
+40 374 303 094 (Worldwide)
+1 954 414 9655 (United States)
+1 954 281 4669 (United States)
+44 208 819 2649 (United Kingdom)
+44 203 514 8734 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 144 572 (Australia)
+61 280 148 283 (Australia)
+61 130 095 4574 (Australia)
+64 99 853 551 (New Zealand)
+64 98 010 330 (New Zealand)
+43 720 115 521 (Austria)
+32 70 358 304 (Belgium)
+32 28 807 170 (Belgium)
+31 208 084 508 (Netherlands)
+31 203 690 744 (Netherlands)
+41 315 280 530 (Switzerland)
15A Orhideelor St. Orhideea Towers, District 6
Bucharest
Romania - 060071

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Bitdefender Customer Service. Initial Bitdefender complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Bitdefender above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Bitdefender. Discuss the issues you have had with Bitdefender and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Bitdefender Complaints & Reviews

BitDefenderAuto renew - unauthorized

This is not a complaint about the function of Bit Defender but a complain of the unscrupulous tactics Bit Defender uses to renew/keep your business. Aut renew. There is NO clear simple path to turn it off. And even after turning auto renew off, and after the previous years call to Bit Defender customer service to NOT auto renew... Auto renewal was still attempted. How is this not fraud?

BitDefenderUnauthorized deduction against my credit card for r1399.99

On 25 July 2021 I received an SMS stating that my credit card is being deducted by Avangate BV for a purchase that I had made for R1399.99. I had NOT made any purchase with Avangate BV. In that past I have had several problems in that they just deduct my credit card without my authorization.

I am a 64 year old pensioner and in this day and age with the pandemic that has brought my finances to a standstill I simply cannot afford such an atomically amount to be deducted for no reason.

I request that I be refunded immediately.

BitDefendersubscription service start

Bit-defender Complaint

From the website I selected a one year subscription, $28.00 for 3 devices, though I only really needed one at the moment. I paid with PayPal, but then received a request for an additional amount, ($52??) to install it. As this seemed like a ripoff, I tried to do it myself, seemingly successfully.

Now it seems they claim the introductory offer was only for one month, and an additional amount is requested.
      So, two attempts to claim extra amounts by concealing the true charges, or what?
      Can bit-defender explain what is going on, or should I go straight to consumer affairs?

Peter N Blackwell

[protected]@optusnet .com.au

RESOLVED

• Bitdefender's response · Jul 13, 2021

We’ve asked the customer to provide us screenshots of the additional payments that he is requested, since on our end there is a single charge for an Antivirus Plus for the amount of 28 AUD.

• Bitdefender's response · Jul 13, 2021

BitDefenderBitdefender I.S.

I never purchased antivirus/security suite from Bitdefender directly, always bought from third party reseller on Ebay/PayPal. About a month ago I started getting emails from Bitdefender for autorenew. Was thinking since I did have another Bitdefender subscription on diff. PC, it probably expired and thats what they 're talking about. I was short of time & not interested in autorenew so other than a quick glance, I ignored the emails. I was thinking they couldn't charge me anyway as they didn't have my card or bank info. I had purchased a new subscription on ebay less than a year ago so I thought these emails were probably a scam. Then I noticed Bitdefender had taken $84.79 out of my bank account. THEY ACTUALLY ACCESSED MY DEBIT CARD WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION BECAUSE (APPARENTLY) I HADN'T REPLIED TO THEIR EMAILS. They had taken my not responding to their email as a go-ahead to rob me. Four weeks ago they promised me full refund, I'm still waiting.

BitDefenderAuto renewal of product

We are customer of bitdefender antivirus since 2006. For the last few years they get consent for auto renewal and also offer discounts on renewal of service. We usually buy discount renewal and then if we forget to disable auto renewal they renew it on full price for example we have renewed service up to 2022 and forgot to disable auto renewal, bitdefender now auto renewed service on full price for another year, we receive email after payment completed. Then we request for refund, and they ask why you are asking for for refund. This shows extreme greed and worsening customer care service and for this reason we want to complain about this type of attitude.

• Updated by RiazQ · Dec 09, 2020

Bitdefender should change auto renewal procedure, must ask client by email or Text message for renewal of service, and must improve their customer care service, declining by time

BitDefenderrefusal to refund for product not used/wanted due to automatic billing

My credit card was billed for a year's service. When I realized this and notified Bitdefender, their response was, "It has been over a month so no refund." We keep your money and you get nothing. Bitdefender does not even show up on my computer. I couldn't even reinstate it if I wanted to - I don't.

Why risk going to jail when you can just steal money with no repercussions!

John Ross Greenwood
            [protected]@rossgreenwood.com

BitDefenderantivirus

I have had bit defender for a year or two without problem. It was highly rated when I originally signed up. Recently, my credit card number was changed by my bank, so I had to manually renew. That was an ordeal in itself. At the end, I got something that threw up an error every time I booted my computer. I tried to file a ticket, but their site wouldn't let me because I didn't have an activation code. They took my money, and the software installed but they did not give me an activation code. I could not find a contact email on their site, so I called their customer service. The individual at the call center was very friendly, but the best he could do was offer me an extra three months of the Bitdefender service that didn't work. So Bitdefender ripped me off for about $30. I might have let that pass, but they also auto-renew. Even though I am not using Bitdefender anymore, they are going to keep charging me $30, or whatever, as much as they like. I found no way on their website to opt out or cancel. When my credit card statement comes, I am going to report the charge as fraud. What else can I do?

• Du
                  DunnettFan Sep 27, 2019

This is about poor customer service and how they block attempts to cancel their “auto-subscribe, ” which first, I regard as a violation of trust, and second, I doubt I agreed to anyway. I started 1 week before with a telephone call to Support--he kept speaking over me and after 2 minutes, when I tried to explain the Cancel page error, he HUNG UP on me!). That alone made me resolve not to renew with them. Another time I called billing but couldn’t understand their accents. I had to use Google searches to find cancel instructions, but in BD got "An error occurred while processing your request. Please try again!" (By the way, that's the only error I got on their website, and it just happened to be the Cancel function...) User accounts are at “Bitdefender Central, ” but in Help there are no links there for chat, phone, or e-mail. In fact, Help/Support consists of a list of articles. Google found the page to open a ticket. By the time they responded, it was oops, “we’ve already charged you!” Tonight I’m shopping for another antivirus. They promise to refund the $39.

BitDefender — fraud!!

I have never even heard of you before yet you have unlawfully taken £176 out of bank account without...

BitDefender — service response from bitdefender team

The response to our complaint is very poor, every time we have to go on the live chat explain the problem to...

Kalyan

BitDefenderantivirus software

I bought and downloaded Bitdefender about a year and a half ago. I did not renew coverage because I was concerned about any virus software on my Mac. I tried to remove it, and found it could not be removed, even with their so-called uninstaller. I tried every tech site I could find and discovered that this program installs bits and pieces all over your computer, a good number of them hidden, and you can not get rid of it. When I complained to them that I could not remove it, they asked for remote access to my computer to get rid of it. I refused. I did file with BBB. Now I got this, which is even more frightening than their request for remote access-
                Hello Leslie,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that we would like to further assist you by proving a refund for your order [protected] - 59.95 USD

In order to process the refund, we require the following information.

- the beneficiary name [your name]
                - your bank name
                - your account number
                - IBAN account, for EU residents
                - the swift [BIC] code of your bank
                - ABA code of your bank [for domestic ACH], for US residents

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
                Alina Bizga
                Bitdefender Support Team

BitDefender — lack of service and responses to tickets

You cannot simply email them any more you have to go through their desktop icon page and put it in contact...

BitDefenderantivirus software

I purchased Bitdefender last year for what was then a very reasonable price. I somehow missed the "auto-renewal" fine print and had NO idea I would be billed $130 this year! I am retired, on a fixed income and cannot afford this sort of expense for computer software. I only have 1 home PC and 1 laptop with nothing really important on either, so $130 for antivirus software is totally ridiculous to me. I have been trying to get a refund since April 1st when I discovered this charge on my bank account and they just keep dancing around the edges. Like offering me 2 years instead of 1, etc. They aren't getting the fact that I CAN'T afford $130 for software, period. I could be for LIFE and I still can't afford it!

This may be a small expense for most people, but I need a full refund ASAP as this is causing financial difficulties for me.

Order ID: [protected]
                  Invoice Date: 4/2/2018
                  Exact Charge: 130.79

I need a refund.

Kenneth R McEnany

BitDefender — mac antivirus

I bought Mac antivirus from bitdefender online, paid with my credit card, received confirmation email and no...

Bitdefender Avantgate — awful stole my money

Awful company I paid them and then they took another £70.00 pounds from my account and it took me 15 email...

BitDefenderunauthorized credit card charges

I purchased Bitdefender security on November 4th 2016, and made sure I cancelled the automatic renewal as soon as I purchased it as I didn't know if I'd like the product. I actually only used the product for a couple of months but as it was slowing down my pc considerably and my dvd burner didn't burn because of it, I had to de-activate it.
                    To my horror, last Friday November 3rd 2017, €69.99 has been debited from my account for a renewal of the antivirus. Thank God I kept the email asking them to cancel the automatic renewal, but they ignored it, even thought they answered it at the time to tell me it was actually cancelled.
                    I received a few emails and had a few chats since Friday but nothing has been done, except offering me products I DON'T WANT!
                    This can't be legal...and on top of it, I'm on overdraft because of them and have to pay fees. I am gutted and I'm waiting for them to refund my money ASAP

BitDefenderantivirus free renewal

I had been running Bitdefender Anti virus for quite some time, no problems, very happy with it. I received a message saying my time was up and i would have to renew . I did that but something went very very wrong. So i tried to uninstall it, so that I could try again. It would not uninstall not even in safe mode. I tried the best uninstall tool i know and that would not even download. My computer is totally messed up. System restore wont work not even in safe mode. Skype wont work . Nothing will download at all . I am 69 my daughter lives in Australia with my new Granddaughter who i can no longer see on skype. . I have been in touch with your technical experts they gave me a link which in short was an uninstall tool. That did not work . I can not afford to take my computer for repair. It was perfectly ok until this episode . . I would like you to help me, this is not my fault. There must be something an organization as big as yours can do .

• Updated by Susan Stait · Aug 02, 2017

I have no words to describe what Bitdefender has done to my computer. iM 69 i Live to see my Granddaughter each day on skype from Australia .Now i cannot do this . My computer is totally messed up

BitDefenderbitdefender total security 2018

Open ticket: [protected]

The Romania Support Centre are unable top resolve the issue.
                        Support Centre consultants
                        Ana Maria Dumitrascu
                        Andrei Rusu
                        Cristian Costin

Who can I turn to for help?

Bitdefender Tools are not enabled, and cannot be enabled.

I had a problem with Bitdefender Total Security 2017. The scan log
                        produced by a Quick Scan or a Full System Scan was always empty.
                        Bitdefender Romania suggested I upgrade to Bitdefender Total Security 2018.
                        I did so. Bitdefender Tools was unavailable in 2018 (not enabled). Trying to use the feature ENABLE BITDEFENDER TOOLS doesn't do anything.

I asked Bitdefender Romania to help me.
                        They told me to upgrade my Total Security 2017 to Total Security 2018.

To summarize ... they told me to upgrade from 2017 to 2018.
                        I did. Bitdefender Tools doesn't work in 2018.

Their solution was to tell me to upgrade from 2017 to 2018.
                        ????

• Pl
                            Pêle Mêle Nov 03, 2017

I have the same issue with Bitdefender Total Security 2018! And this issue doesn't seem to be covered a lot on the Internet, nor addressed by Bitdefender.
                            Help anyone?

• Pl
                            Pêle Mêle Nov 03, 2017

I have the same problem with Bitdefender Total Security 2018!!!
                            Any solution? Someone?

BitDefenderUnauthorised use of credit card information

Bitdefender will abuse their customers trust when they have received your credit card details. I bought their product in 2015 and before the subscription was finished I purchased the Norton product instead because I felt Norton provide a better quality of product.

In 2016 without my permission, Bitdefender automatically renewed my subscription. I received a refund after a long period of time and was assured that they would not automatically renew again. Fast forward to today in 2017 and Bitdefender have automatically renewed my subscription again, I have once again had my credit card charged by Bitdefender, without my permission and for a product that I do not want. Do not give these people your credit card details, they are running a scam by doing this, I have used many different pc security software suites over the years and no other company has done this!

BitDefenderBitdefender internet security

On 01/13/2017, Avangate charged my credit card without authorization for the renewal of Bitdefender Internet Security. My Bitdefender account indicated that there were 194 days left on the account and that the auto renewal was turned off at the time of the renewal purchase. Furthermore, several emails were sent prior to this transaction to [protected]@avangate.com 1.) inquiring about the early renewal requirement, 2.) requesting assistance to ensure that the auto renewal was turned off, 3.) advising that I did not intend to renew and 4.) stating that I did not authorize any future charges to be placed on my credit card. The last email dated 01/11/2017 had the Subject titled, "Will someone from Avangate please reply"! I received no reply and my credit card was charged $79.95. I filed a Better Business Complaint against Avangate. However, they are just the billing company and can only submit a refund request to Bitdefender. Avangate did recognize their mistake and sent Bitdefender a refund request on 01/13/2017, with a carbon copy email to me.

On 01/16/2017, I contacted Bitdefender to check on the status of my refund. Unfortunately, Customer Service (CS) at Bitdefender were not as helpful as CS at Avangate. I was told that the appropriate department was handling the refund request and that I may see my refund in 5 to 7 business days.

Most people utilize internet security software to protect themselves against unauthorized access and use of their financial accounts. Unfortunately, Bitdefender does not properly notify you that they do not protect you against unauthorized access from their affiliates. That is very unprofessional!

BitDefender2015 AND 2016 Total Security

Customer service at Bitdefender is atrocious. I have been having issues with my security for the last 3 months. Customer service responds to emails about 2 - 3 weeks later, and then does not address the issues. They simply gloss over issues by offering a free installation of 2016.

I have now requested a refund because I fear I am not protected by Bitdefender.

• Fr
                                  frank powell Feb 19, 2016

they wont send me a license key or how to hook up the syatem they charge me for/24.95. I'm cancelling my charge card/and getting a new one.