Menu

complaints

NetSpend Complaints Summary

536 Resolved
260 Unresolved
Our verdict: With a good resolution rate, NetSpend generally handles customer issues well. However, it’s important to be proactive. Familiarize yourself with their processes and services. Reading through various customer experiences will provide valuable insights into how they handle complex issues.
File a complaint
Claimed
NetSpend has claimed their business profile
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of NetSpend. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

NetSpend complaints 796

Sort by:

Newest NetSpend complaints

11:24 am EST

NetSpend refused to assist to give my money

Dear sir / madam:
I am file a complaint to netspend / sell.com, of not getting my refund of product that it came. The producted it came damages. The ad of seller from sell.com. The ad sayed, good condition and when I received it. I put in at my dvd player, that the movie " perry mason movie complete collection plus bonus. That it charger from my debit card the amount of $30. 95 plus $70. 00 for damages. I am going to the federal department consumer affair, for the fraud of the product I received, I will not stop.

V
9:42 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I won the mix & match game in march 2007 from indiana hoosier lottery, for 5000, 00 dollars I call netspend got the rounting information. And put it on the forum around 6 months later I got a text message on my phone that said the, money had been deposit to my account. But I am looking for the money now and am told they can not find it. How wrong is this I...

9:29 pm EDT

NetSpend lost money in account

On july 1 my husband and I took a short trip to ogden utah. We checked in july 1 (I had already paid online for room) the next morning I was able to go online to check my husbands account, to find out to our horror that someone accessed my husbands credit card number and made another card (Since we only have one card) and went on a buying spree buying gift cards at three walmarts in new mexico. We immediately called netspend and cancelled our card. We called the walmarts and the managers investigated and one even had the man on video. We then called the sheriff in new mexico to report this. Armed with this information we sent all necessary documentation to netspend. We had to cancel our trip short because it wiped my husbands account out and we were broke. Online netspend will tell you they work to make sure your money is safe and they protect you, blah blah blah, this is all a lie they never called us, this was definetly suspious activity, three waqlmarts all gift card buying in one days time?Hello! Also this was to be resolved in ten days, after 80 days and three faxes, 25 phone calls and 10 emails, we were finally told they would not return our $1463 back because we had used our card to purchase our room and checked in with the card! Hello that was not the issue, how could they screw this up so badly? We told them upfront we had the card in our pocession at all times, we think someone copied the number from the form used on the 17th of june to make a deposit into the account. Nevertheless, we offered all kinds of evidence to netspend and we got a curt reply from netspend that they did not need our help, they would investigate. After this happened I went online and saw all kinds of complaints about netspend and how they continue to rip people off, what I want to know is why the da or another government department has not done something about this fradulent so called bank. This happened to my husbands account two weeks after my own netspend account had been robbed, money was transferred to someone elses account. This makes me wonder if it is an inside job, since both times it occured right after we recieved our social security benefits. Who would know that? What can be done, does anyone have a solution?

E
E
expose2012
Vero Beach, US
May 26, 2012 5:09 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

This company is nothing more than an internet identity theft company!...They walk a VERY fine line...Just enough to appear legit...They WILL get around to stealing your money and identity...sometimes sooner...sometimes later...BUT IT WILL HAPPEN...make no mistake.. it will happen! PLEASE do not fall for any of the false promises and scams...you will be so sorry if you do...We all know what con artists are right?...Well...Welcome to Netspend The BIGGEST ones of them all'

Sep 21, 2011 2:38 pm EDT

We apologize for the problems you experienced regarding the unauthorized charges on your account and with your dispute. We would like to look into this for you, as this level of service is unacceptable. Please send your information to feedback@netspend.com and we will see what we can do and address any issues.

Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We do hope the problems you have experienced will not bear any reflection on our company and the services we provide.

If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or call customer service at 1-86-NetSpend [protected]).

3:41 pm EDT

NetSpend security features

Netspend does it again... (Read my 1st complaint below)... Netspend says it has security features to protect its consumers, but I am doubting that now as they have once again allowed charges to a card that was reported lost over a year ago, for some reason the merchants that had this number to which I had dealings with are still allowed to debit the card even though the card was taken out of service as lost by netspend... That brings to question if netspend really has consumer protection in mind and if there security features are any good... How do you use a card thats suppose to be inactive? I fear that netspend has issues with its security features that it dosent have a handle on... My recommendation to consumers is buyer beware and dont believe the hype about you and your money being secured... I hpoe this dosent happena 3rd time... Following is my 1st complaint: I had a netspend prepaid card so I would not have to use my real credits cards when buying over internet or paying some bills, I had a problem with the company when I didnt have the funds on the card and they paid a bill that was not authorized to be paid, they said that they had paid the bill because then they would deduct it from monies I would deposit later, I told them I didnt authorize them to pay any bills for me especially if the funds were not on the card, I then told them to cancel the card and they refused saying I needed to pay them 1st, I refused and told them that they needed to recover what ever unauthorized money they had put on my card from the merchant...

JBeans
Pompano Beach, US
Jan 05, 2012 1:43 am EST

I have had over $900 in unauthorized charges taken out of my card and have had -0- luck in getting these back. They have no security features on their cards to protect their customers from, oh - 8 consecutive payments to Itunes in the span of 30 minutes. I followed everything that I was supposed to and I still didn't get my money back. Buyer beware - there is no protection over your money!

D
7:17 pm EDT

NetSpend unauthorized charges

IT SUCKS! dont ever work at cracker barrel in greenville, AL nothing in the handbook is been followed they can careless whats going on and dont use skylight financial is crappy got people who cant speak English if so barely waste of time

Update by Drakoman15
Aug 24, 2011 7:18 pm EDT

yea i know man it does suck i 100% agree you got my vote

hateskylightfinancial!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sioux Falls, US
Nov 23, 2011 4:40 am EST

Warning to everyone who uses this company for direct deposit! I had fraudulant charges on my account from the UK (almost $500) and after 2 months of trying to get a statement from these idiots to dispute the charges, I still have yet to receive one. Mail, fax, ect I can't ever get one from them! I also lost my online access because the fraudulant card was cancelled. Everytime I call they promise to send me one, I never get it. My hands are tied, I can't even file a police report without the paperwork they refuse to send me. Do yourself a favor and destroy any card you have with them and deal with a real bank!

9:11 pm EDT

NetSpend ripping customers off/scam

I was charged for a failed transfer of funds that 'looped' from my account, back into my account (I didn't know that I couldn't transfer funds out of my account at the time, until I spoke with netspend and their funds-transferring associate, vesta) , after the transaction occurred. Vesta confirmed that netspend did charge $5.95, when I tried transferring $31.87 on june 13, 2011 to what I thought was supposed to go to my bank account. However, vesta also confirms that I was credited back of the $31.87 only $25.92, which also happened in the same night. However, netspend's system shows that it posted on reversed dates, and not in chronological order. Netspend's customer service representative (Chris) said (After lying about the charge of $5.95) that netspend did charge it, but never posted it. I noticed the pattern as well. When I asked to speak to their supervisor, I was on hold for another 20-plus minutes before I hung up, knowing that they were deliberately blowing me off, because they didn't want to deal with their mistakes (Or answering for them for that matter).
My friend that I send money to also said she's been getting charged nearly every single time I send money to her netspend's $10.00 monthly fee (Two or more times in one month) , and had of the $70.00 that I sent her on june 28, 2011 $50.00 held for the merchant. Netspend's automated system says the minimum when paying at the gas pump to be held is $75-100.00 is to be held for the merchant (No reason why, when the funds are guaranteed funds).
Netspend has been also using their transferring funds company (Vesta) and their parent-company (Metabank) as scapegoats or fronts, by telling the customers to file complaints or inquiries with either of them and not netspend, when netspend was the one conducting in such indiscretions.

10:07 pm EDT

NetSpend security features

I had a netspend prepaid card so I would not have to use my real credits cards when buying over internet or paying some bills, I had a problem with the company when I didnt have the funds on the card and they paid a bill that was not authorized to be paid, they said that they had paid the bill because then they would deduct it from monies I would deposit later, I told them I didnt authorize them to pay any bills for me especially if the funds were not on the card, I then told them to cancel the card and they refused saying I needed to pay them 1st, I refused and told them that they needed to recover what ever unauthorized money they had put on my card from the merchant.. I then tore up the card and reported it loss... They then said that the card was blocked and asked if I wanted another card I declined it... A year later after the card was reported loss and no futher transactions had taken place durning that time I recieved a notice that another transaction had taken plac on the blocked cardi was furious, I contacted netspend and asked why a transaction had taken place on a card reported loss to them and blocked by them.. They started dancing around the issue by tell me that the transaction was done via computer and that they didnt know why it went through, but that since it was via computer and my account was still opene even though the card was blocked and on record as being blocked that the card number was still good.. Even though there records showed the card reported and blocked they recommended that I contact the merchant and dispute the charge.. I was floored and told them that the problem was not mine it was there problem and that if I was put into collections or my credit report damanged that I would seek futher action against them since they were the ones at fault... Te folks at netspend simply tried to pass the buck and make me accountable, I told them that any court understood the word blocked and that we could settle it there... Netspend advertising touts itself as having advnce security features to protect consumers yet they failed tremendousley here and would not take responsiblity here and made every effort to say it was my fault, how is that possiable when I followed proper procedure to block and cancel the crd and they show it on record as me having done so... I recommend you think twice before dealing with them and look real hard before using netspend... If they are ligit as they say which could be the case there security features inplace to protect the consumers is very poor and you can find yourself with headachs over them paying bills for you even when there are no funds on the card... Prepaid takes on a different meaning with netspend.. Consumers beware...

Update by CCRRocs
Jun 16, 2011 4:38 pm EDT

Thank you Travis V. for asking to assist me with my issue concerning netspend and unauthorized charges on a blocked card ...I am not one to make waves however I feel this issue was important enough to let the public know what had taken place especially with a prepaid visa card irrguardless of who the issuer was, prepaid is just that prepaid !..no funds no transaction...however it seems netspend may be giving new meaning to prepaid with it paying merchants even when funds are not available or the card is blocked, even my bank would decline a charge if I used my debit card and no funds were available..I dont care to give any futher information to netspend concerning me or my previous account as I have already contacted them and we ended by danceing a waltz in them buck passing and insulting my intelligence, I think and truley belive Im not the only person who may have had this issue, so if netspend cares to assist in this matter they need to look closely at their records and any pass issues concerning unauthorized charges and correct the security issue at hand especially with BLOCKED cards, my intent is not to defame or discredit netspend as I think it has its merrits and value, however when a representative attempts to pass the blame on the consumer in a case where they were definateley at fault it says alot about an organization and its representatives, I think that this issue could have been avoided and handled more proffessionally if employees were trained properly concerning issues where there is no doubt a mistake had occured, but to insult ones intellegence and make one feel they have no recourse only leads to misunderstandings and frustrations along with ill feelings...I am an American veteran I would defend netspends rights to do buisness anyday, but I would also defend Americans against unwarrant and unjust wrongs thrusted upon them by anyone or any entity, isnt it enough that Corporations today in some cases have become inpersonal to those that support it through consumeriasm..again I think this is an issue that could and can be resolved with the proper concern, I thank you Travis V for seeking to assist me...however lets assist those others also that may have this issue by reviewing the security measures and protocal netspend has in place to protect consumers...I support netspend and all Americans right to do buisness, I just dont support passing the buck or the blamegame...I look forward to this issue being corrected as I believe netspend cares since you have taken the time to respond to my complaint on complaint board.com...I will place this message on the board as I did my issue concerning this problem...I wish netspend and you all well... Thank you.

jenngilbejenngilbe
arlington, US
Feb 27, 2015 3:30 pm EST

Net spend allowed my federal refund to be transferred out out of my account to a 3rd party card holder and all of my remaining funds to be withdrawn after my card was intercepted and activated by identity thieves. No one from netspend has contacted me. I have filled out all .forms and written letters. I have stage 3 breast cancer and now have had to cancel my chemo treatment due to lack of funds for copays. I am sickened by the way this has been handled. I am protected by visa and by law. How can netspend break those laws and contracts? The customer service is the worst. I am in process of filing a lawsuit for damages, have contacted turbotax, The FDIC, IRS, and an attorney to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of the thousands of customers who have had this exact same experience this year alone. I will be taking this to the national news on Monday. Since netspend has refused to follow contract rules with visa.

Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm EDT

We sincerely apologize that there was another unauthorized charge on your account. We can assure you that security is our number one priority for our customers. We would like to assist you with this matter and find out what happened with your account. Please send us an email at feedback@netspend.com with your information and we will contact you back.

Travis

5:26 pm EDT

NetSpend $200 taken from my account! no refund!

I opened a netspend debit card to save money for my children I made my first $200 deposit withn two days. I was so happy! Then I check my balance a few days later and my $200 were gone. It was transfered to another netspend customer names erika brown! I called netspend it was very hard to reach a customer service rep then they didn't understand and gave me the runaround for hours. My phone battery literaly started to beep. A few hours later I called back and they said to mail in a dispute letter. I did that and they said they haven't recieved it. They are giving me the runaround again! They try any excuse not to give you your money back. They didn't need my signature to open the account or take my money! I hate this bank! They still have not given me my mnoey back! I want my childrens money back! They stole $200 dollars from my kids! Don't trust this bank!

M
10:06 pm EDT
Replied
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend fraud

There's was a few unauthorized charges to my account
Called netspend they stated it would take 90 days but
My credit cared that was used will be closed two months after I filed the first dispute another company iwth an unauthorixed transaction charged my old card that was cancelled mind you I already received the new card in the mail when I called all they said was that they will file another dispute and they did acknowledge it was there fault but did not want to help
Stay away stay away im not the only that this has happpened to! Stay away they are crooks

3 comments
Hargill Texas, US
Jun 11, 2015 1:55 pm EDT

2ND STATEMENT:
THE LAWSUIT WILL CONSIST OF: ADVANCE AMERICA, DIRECT-TV-DISH
COMPANIES, NETSPEND FOR ALLOWING PAYMENT WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION
AND MET BANK FOR BEING THE MAIN DEPOSIT BANKER. NOT MUCH MONEY? TRY WORKING OUTSIDE FOR IT AT LEAST 8 HRS, THANK YOU

Hargill Texas, US
Jun 11, 2015 1:43 pm EDT

on September 4th or 14th I deposited a total amount of 400.00$ to my netspend account. the payment was placed thru an Advance America payment center since I was not close to my reg. unit store. they said it would be ok . I wrote several dispute letters several claim numbers they provided no help. it will be a year this coming September, [protected]. I never got my money they closed the dispute by saying the merchant had provided a copy of the signature purchase to buy a tailgate satilite, well I for one would not waste money like that. 2 the person was a young man whom I gave my money to deposit it in there at the office. I believe he made the purchase with the card information. I am not go away from this I am going to pester your company to honor my loss. they did not provide my id for purchase, I did not authorize the purchase therefore if I do not hear from your company on a sure THING TO REALLY INVESTIGATE, NOT JUST CALL AND HAVE PERSON SAY, YES THERE WAS A PURCHASE WITH THE CARD, OK THANK YOU HANG UP AND DETERMINE IT WAS ME! I ALSO REQUESTED A COP OF THE SALES INVOICE I REQUESTED ? SO WHERE IS THE PROOF? THE PURCHASER WAS ME? I DEMAND MY MONEY LIKE I SAID EARLIER, I WILL FILE THE LAW SUIT NECESSARY. I AM VERY SERIOUS, THIS IS A PRINCIPAL MATTER A RIGHT TO FILE.

single mother of 6
Atlanta, US
Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am EDT

Well, Netspend got me too. My entire family is away on vacation. I had my payroll direct deposited...over $1200. When we returned to the hotel I got a text message that someone unsubscribed me from"anytime alert". If I didn't do this for me to call. I called the number and found out I was left with. 94 cents in my checking and. 16 cents in my savings. I had to wait until this morning to talk with a customer service rep. They filed a dispute claim and now waiting. In the meantime, I called my Attorney. He advice was this: 1.) Get in touch with the bank commissioner in South Dakota (where Meta Bank) is located. 2.) File a claim against Meta Bank & Netspend corporation in my local magistrate court. (They may or may not show). My guess is they won't show. 3.) File suit against Netspend In Austin, TX.

I'm going to see what Netspend is going to do... give them reasonable time to resolve my issue. I will be filing a claim in my local courts and place judgement on them. I think if everyone that has been deceived follow those three avenues, eventually an Attorney will step up and shut them down. I may or may not ever recover my $1200+ but if I can stop them all together from taking people's monies then it will be worth it all. We Need To Shut Meta Bank and Netspend down got good.

M
11:08 pm EDT

NetSpend full of #

I am pissed off I have been waiting for them to return a payment form feb who can I contact to get this resolved its 303.00 I have talked to cc and they keep telling me 90 days I dont think so I should not have to wait this long in order to get my money I am the victim this is not the way you run a company does any one know how to get this resolved faster I cant seem to get any help I tried to get ceo number to no avail.

jallen06
Arlington, US
Mar 15, 2012 11:17 pm EDT

I have that same problem...direct TV made an unauthorized debit into my account
And took 447.00 out...got ready to pay my light bill because it was due that day and up being declined so I called netspend to check my transactions and direct TV took all my money so guess what my lights got turned off and netspend act like they don't care and to top that off I couldn't pay my child support cause that happened. Its been 2 months and still nothing has happened from netspend.

May 18, 2011 2:55 pm EDT

We apologize that there is a hold on your account. Please send us an email with your information at feedback@netspend.com and we will assist you.

U
11:34 pm EDT

NetSpend need to petition this company or sue

Rush Card and Netspend Company has very bad service. At this time I would like to go further with a dispute. Such as opening a civil case. Reps never ask for security questions so no one fraudulant can get info on our accounts. Reps are very nasty and rude, have opened a dispute for unauthorized transactions and the do nothing about it. Says that it takes 60-90 days to receive the money even though a police report was made. They tell us there is nothing we can do about it . Why is that anyone can take our money so easily and there is nothing they can do about it. Can you guys at least investigate it and refund our money due to the lack of security with our info? I'm sone with this I need a professional attorney! Asap!
Another unsatisfied customer.

L
5:20 pm EDT

NetSpend unauthorized charges

On may 1st there was a fraudulent charge on my credit card. I called them right away, they told me to call the company the charge was made to, they told me to call my card company back to filea claim and again the told me to call the company the charge went to. I have been going back and forth with this and am getting nowhere. The amount of the money is not the issue it is the principal that noone wants or knows how to handle these claims. When i askto speak to a supervisor because i can never undersand the customer service rep. I feel that they just pass me to another rep. I am getting sick and tired of this going back and forth and ready to have a lawyer look into this for me. The company the the charge was to is an adult catalog order center for adam and eve, and they are as stupd as the credit card company.

V
11:16 pm EDT

NetSpend horrible banking alternative

I wish that i had read these complaints before setting up an account with netspend. They can not locate my direct deposit. Netspends customer service reps, supervisor and manager continue to ask me for the account and routing number that they gave me. We were all in agreement that it was correct.
The goverment three way call to them and provided them with the same information.
Netspend then began to ask me again for my account number and routing number.
When i asked for their physical address and which route do i take to get them their reply they do not give customers their location. Yes, i agree that this company is a corporate scam and stealing money from their customers and taking advantage of people who for whatever reason choice not to use a traditional bank.
I would advise anyone considering doing business with them to opt-out. When you have to say that your card was stolen just to be connected to customer service know that you are dealing with a dishonrable corporation. If you enjoy stress, frustration and ignorance then i say you have found the perfect corporation to hold your money.

twana
Asbury Park, US
Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Its yours reps fault that my refund was sent to a wrong account and netspend so what cam anyone say or do to resolve this issue this your fault not mines so why isnt it fixed smdh pissed

2:29 am EDT

NetSpend hidden transaction fees

It is terrible to learn the hard way when you make a transaction and you charge 1and 2 dollars for every time I used the card now the amount on the card is held hostage because you will charge a fee witch will then be denide for lack of funds thank you for stealing my money and holding the rest hostage now I can't close this account because the money is there and I can't use it I promise to post this problem on complaints.com so everybody can see what will happen if they get netspend it will stop them in ther tracks thank you (This complaint was sent to netspend and as you can see they do a transaction charge every time you use the card for $ 1.00to $2.00 for every time you use this card and now I have $8.50 on the card that I can't use because if I buy something they will apply a $2.00 charge and it will be declined because of that charge so the money will be eaten up by netspend when they apply a charge and gog only knows what that is going to be thank you for reading this)

L
9:01 pm EDT

NetSpend unable to reload account money after pay

I have dealt with netspend for almost 4 years. I have platinum card and a black card witch I usually no less then 500$ a load. Now, something happened previously to make me question my money so I went to nearest loader gave me a reload card (Never saw this before) they are refusing to load the money unto the card. 3 hours later they wont' let me speak to a supervisor and didn't know how many #s they had on their card. I m' left with no other choice but to threaten a lawyer for my money what they asked my s. S. No# yet would not give me entire name this company doesn't send you any valid statements. Im' more then angry

pete11236
Brooklyn, US
Mar 27, 2011 5:08 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I use netspend all the time i pay all my credit cards with it and my other bills. I ve been using it for 5 years now and never had a problem i have put at least 40, 000 on it over the years and never had any problems. My daughter even has one and when she vists her mom in PA i send her $100 every week and she likes it to. I put the money on the card and she gets it in not even 5 mins.

Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm EDT

We apologize that you are unable to load your card. Please send us an email at feedback@netspend.com and we will see what can be done about this reload situation.

7:58 am EST

NetSpend failure to cancel lost card and canceling reissue card without customer notification

On february 24, 2011, I contacted the netspend corporations's call center and reported that I had lost my debit card and wanted to have it canceled and a replacement card; applying all existing applications, sent to me. I was advised the old card had been canceled and a new card would be mailed to me in 7-10 days. On march 9, 2011 I had not received the replacement card and called the call center to inquire when the card had been mailed. I was advised by the rep that the replacement card order had been canceled on february 25, 2011. I was never advised of this canceled order for the replacement card and was further advised that the originally canceled card had been reactivated and used for a $80.00 withdrawal on my advance credit line. I am of the position the failure to advise me of the canceled replacement order, after being informed I had lost the card, constitutes a liability that netspend can not ignore or justify.In the least it was an unethical act which resulted in the use of my original card, after I had been informed it could not be used. I am herewith making a written complaint that equally serves as notice I will file a warrant in detinue to recover all moneys available to me via the netspend elite visa card that was not canceled as requested, and an additional motion for judgement, seeking compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $10, 000.00, for the acts and omissions cited above, if my concerns are not addressed to my satisfaction on or before march 30, 2011. My efforts to gain access to netspend's general counsel resulted in my being deliberately placed on hold by an unidentified supervisor for 41 minutes, and having a supervisor named "evelyn" disconnect my call.

5:09 pm EST
Replied
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend what a total scam!

My Netspend prepaid Visa card was sent a few days ago. It is a permanent card to replace the temporary that I purchased back in January of this year with a 15 credit/balance startup bringing the total to 24.95 initially. This was done at PLS a check cashing company in Phoenix at 38th st. and E. Thomas, this company is one of your authorized agents engaged in the purchasing and issuing of your Netspend card.

This temporary card was never activated due to error in data entry by your authorized agent I was informed.

After calling twice to your customer service number, I was told a copy of my social security card was necessary before my Visa Netspend card would be available... this was extremely inconvenient as I had paper documents in storage in the 118 degree attic.

I had your PLS authorized agent call 2x to clear this matter up by validating what my social security number is since this agent cashes a SS check for me monthly for over 3 or 4 years. But that didn't seemed to be good enough for Netspend. The Netspend logic being that the Netspend agent PLS could not be trusted to validate my SS number accurately even though they cashed my SS check monthly. Week and a half ago a PLS agent called Netspend once again to straighten this out and insisted on a resolve of the card which was withheld for 9mos. from my use.

Today when I called Netspend to activate this permanent Visa received a few days ago in the mail your representative tells me there is zero balance. . that the system automatically withdraws a fee from card after 3 mos. if their is no activity on the card. Well check this out... I expect Netspend to then manually put my 15. dollar balance back on my card as I purchased originally. The card was never activated which means I didn't agree to your policies and fees which you proceeded to execute and yet deny access to the use after purchase of the card.

Richard414
Milwaukee, US
Jun 09, 2012 5:15 am EDT

Netspend scam
What is Netspend
Netspend Account

4:57 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

NetSpend do not use them

Read the fine print! This company will not tell you this:
In case of errors or questions about your card transactions, call [protected] or write to:

Netspend
Customer service
Po box 2136
Austin, tx [protected]

If you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transaction listed on the statement or receipt contact customer service immediately. You must contact us no later than sixty (60) days after electronic statement becomes available on which the problem or error appeared.

1. Provide your name and card number (If any) ;
2. Describe the error or the transaction you are unsure about, and explain why you believe it is an error or why you need more information;
3. Provide the dollar amount of the suspected error.
If you provide this information orally, we may require that you send your complaint or question in writing within ten (10) business days. We will determine whether an error occurred within ten (10) business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to forty-five (45) days to investigate your complaint or question. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and you do not provide it within ten (10) business days, we may not credit your card.

For errors involving new cards, point-of-sale, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to ninety (90) days to investigate your complaint or question. We will tell you the results within three (3) business days after completing the investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation.

Update by "WE THE PEOPLE" DEMAND JUSTICE
Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm EST

MANY EXAMPLES THAT NETSPEND HAS A LESS THAN HONEST BUSINESS PRACTICE.
(RANN) STAFF
[protected]

NetSpend Legit Company or a scam?

In october 2009 i was sent a netSpend Visa Prepaid debit card in the mail to my address so today i tried activating it and the online system wouldnt work so i called they asked all my info social included and even they could not activate it now me and my mom are scared this company will take my identity PLEASE HELP!
1 year ago Report Abuse by Alina Member since:
January 23, 2010
Total points:
139 (Level 1)
Add Contact

yes. Google "NetSpend Scam" and there are hundreds of people who have filed complaints.
Source(s):
various complaint sites such as

Update by "WE THE PEOPLE" DEMAND JUSTICE
Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm EST

The point is:

1.) This information is not what is told to cardholders.
2.) It is netspend that put these charges to the card and the cardholder thinks it is a merchantbut it is not.

This is stealing and illegal! Too many cardholders are victims of this illegal transaction.

(RANN) STAFF
[protected]

4:47 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

NetSpend this company is a scam and under a federal investigation

I went a couple of weeks ago and deposited $800.00 on my netspend card. At that point my balance was over $900.00. The next morning i stopped to get gas and my card was denied! I quickly got to the nearest pc to check my account. My balance was - 3.66. My account had some p2p transactions. (Person to person) i quickly called netspend and explained.

they told me to send a hand written letter and police report. Which i did. Here it is 2 weeks later and they won't tell me nothing. They admitted it was trasferred to another netpend customer's account. They will not give me any additional info. I have 2 feelings about this. First, i won't get my money back. Second i feel like it was an inside job. No one knew my pin number but me! I know they can easily look up the account it was transferred to! But they claim they can't. I am not a rich man by any means. I hace struggled the last few weeks to keep my bills paid, since losing my money. I feel no compassion from their end at all. My next step is maybe contacting visa or the local news. I have read complaints in other forums that related to mine. Apparently they know about this p2p scam and fail to fix it. I believe this company is corrupt! I have read other people say this company is great with no problems. Well i would have said that a month ago. Three years and no problems. But beware you will be next!

cibernetico101
Cocoa Beach, US
Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am EST

Did you ever get your money back?. I am going thru the same situation. In my case someone used my login, knew my password and transferred over 3K to their account. It sure smells like an inside job. I know that I never gave my password/pin codes etc to anyone. I consider myself stupid for trusting this company. Their customer service is a joke. As a customer my impression is that they don't have a CRM. Each time I call, they want me to repeat the entire story.

9:24 pm EST

NetSpend withdrawl of money fee scam

I have been a Netspend customer for 3+ years. I choose to come to them due to the ease of using the cards and the minimum fees. I went into an ACE location yesterday to withdrawal money for my rent total $1200, I was told that there was a new rule in place and they now charge to withdrawal money after the first $300. This immediately alarmed me because I have not received an email, mail or text notification with any of this information. Although I did receive an email notification of their new elite program, I found this extremely odd. I asked why did they not inform their customers his response was that it was posted on their website. I said well this does not justify sufficient notification, many people don't have regular access to a computer, and furthermore why go online if you can send a text to them for your balance? The ACE employee of course could not answer. I then asked what the fee was he said 2% of the withdrawal - I WAS IRATE AT THIS POINT. TWO PERCENT OF THE $1200 AFTER THE INITIAL $300 (i WAS CHARGED ON THE $900) TOTAL FEE $18! I am still pissed off - what a rip off. I told him they are only doing this because income tax is coming and people are going to be pulling of large amounts - if you have $5000 being pulled out after the $300 they don't charge for that is $94 - that is a lot of money. I was thinking what if all I had was the EXACT amount I needed for my rent then I would have been short because of Netspends horrible business practices. At minimum they should notify consumers at least 1 month ahead. He said they try to compensate by the lower $5 fee vs the $9.99 fee - there is no comparassion - they are trying to get over because they feel that most people that have this card needs it because they can't get a bank account. I chose to get this card because of the ease of use and no hassles with the bank. I make between $3200 - $3500 a month I am not trying to throw money away by paying ridiculous fees to access money when I need it. It's not even reasonable withdrawal limit. Most banks allow $500 minimum withdrawal limit without any additional steps. I am outraged and will be closing my account before my next direct deposit. I refused to be taken by this monster of a company. This is truly a scam! I will be checking to see if they broke any laws by not providing sufficient notice of their changes. If they did I will be reporting them to every appropriate agency.

3 comments
alexander ramirez
Jun 15, 2009 4:59 pm EDT

I did not authorize and credit card set up charge for 99. 00

Babs67
Denver, US
May 14, 2011 9:56 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I know that by law that they do have to give notice of any changes made, depending on what card you have they are all actual banks but locates in Texas, I had a run in with them today because their systems are ordering cards without the card holders permission, though they are coming to use its a pain in the ###. I threatened to report them and start a class action law suit, and they seem to jump and seemed be alot more nicer to me, what bugs me is that most of these employees are out of country and can not give you an answer to save their lives they are reading from a book, Ace check cashing employees are not employees of net spend and can not help you answer questions only what they are told so my advise to you is that you write the bank and send it certified and let them know that they a in breach of informing the card holder of any changes I know you probably resolved this cause your post was 2010 but if you know the laws it makes it very easy to have a netspend card and get your way.

alexander ramirez
Jun 15, 2009 5:03 pm EDT

please refund my account

Overview of NetSpend customer experience

Netspend has been receiving a lot of negative feedback from its customers. Many claim that the customer service is terrible and they have difficulty getting in touch with a representative. Others complain about the website and mobile app being glitchy and difficult to navigate. The biggest issue seems to be with account freezes and holds, leaving customers unable to access their funds. Additionally, many report being charged hidden fees, such as ATM fees and monthly maintenance fees. It is clear that Netspend needs to address these issues to improve their customer satisfaction.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

NetSpend contacts