NetSpend company logo

NetSpend
reviews & complaints
NetSpend
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

560 complaints
350 resolved 210 unresolved

This account has been claimed by NetSpend customer service / representatives through our verification process.

NetSpend reviews & complaints

NetSpend complaints 560

NetSpend - Closed my account without a reason or explanation

Netspend closed my account ..I'm not sure of the exact date but I tried to login on Jan 14th to see if my direct deposit was in and the account said blocked (which has happened a few other times in the past 10 years) So I tried calling a few times couldn't get through until the following day The person I talked to said my account was not blocked it was closed..I asked why she said because I wasn't in compliance...but couldn't tell me anything else...So I figured let me call the next day maybe someone else can elaborate on why it was closed...the 2nd and 3rd time I got the same answer ...so I asked if I could reopen it...they said nope but I could open a new account Why the heck would I want to do that when all my direct deposits are associated with the closed account? The 4/5 emails I sent 2 were answered with...we can't help you online you need to call

i have been with them over 10 years i called and told them my cell phone courrier had been compromised every am i woke up to a blocked account i am 71 yrs old have no access they want tons of documents from me i am bed bound and i have no access to all they want along with covid they wont let me have my money close account but give me my money for bills and living i have never bee treated like im the criminal

NetSpend - Card unactivated

My son put money on an unactivated card that my youngest son ordered. My oldest didn't look at the card before putting money on the card or known it was da wrong card. Ived been calling customer service to refund or forward the money into my card. Each time, customer service always gives me the run around. I can't get a supervisor in the phone. The reps thinks they could help with everything but refunds. This is beyond my limits of service with this company, ived been a customer for over seven years n each year it's getting more difficult and difficult with this company. Tired to get a business acct again and now I'm beyond my wits of waiting for an option. Now I'm outta a phone cause my money is on an unactivated card. Someone needs to phone Denise [protected]@[protected]. I needs someone to phone me asap soon to fix this erra

Desired outcome: Refund

NetSpend - Gift card

Received a Gift Card from my brother. Held onto it for a year because it's "good thru 3/23". Tried to spend it today and declined no matter how it was entered. They kept transferring and putting me on hold. After 30 minutes waiting in Bed Bath and Beyond I left.
They first said it was locked because I hadn't used it?!
Then they said I needed a pin to use at POS - no one could do it, thus all the transferring. Sounded like the same voice each time
Past history-In an Earlier call to them they had tried to deduct monthly amounts from the $100 because it hadn't been used yet. They quickly corrected that, or they said they did.

Desired outcome: Retrieve the money and close this gift card account

N

NetSpend - Unethical Business Practices

Netspend is a fraudulent company.

I was recently gifted a $100 prepaid card from a relative, and when I tried to activate it I was directly to call customer service. According to them, my relative purchased the card on June 15, 2020 and that the card had expired after 120 days from this date. Apparently netspend was also charging $5 a month in maintenance fees to a card that I hadn't even activated so the balance was $4.95 according to them. Please don't make the mistake of ever purchasing one of these cards. It's literally throwing money down the drain.

NetSpend - Unauthorized charges

I was continuously lied to you about receiving provisional credit for $1, 700 in unauthorized charges the day I was supposed to receive the credit I was told over and over again that it would be posted and it never was. January 4th 2022 is the day I was supposed to receive my credit I sat here all day calling over and over again and was told that it showed on their computer screen that I was to receive my credit once they were closed however I was given an option to push number one for my claim and was said that I would receive a letter in the mail giving their findings

Desired outcome: Refund of the $1,700 stolen from me

NetSpend - Netspend

This company stole my direct deposit blocked my account the week of Xmas, no food or bills were paid. Sent in every piece of info I found it to be to personal copies of your SSN and ID. I complied and they still rejected my photo ID, approved the SSN I canceled my card and was told we will send your money in the mail that I had in the account due to cancelation. Today I was told there is no money coming and you need to contact your job and ask for them to give you documents about your job your position how much you get paid, and a photo copy to receive your refund that you had in the account the week of Xmas. Netspend is a SCAM! Blocked my account, for no reason and stole my money. I called my job to tell them not to deposit my check on the deleted account what did they do. How stupid deposit my check in Netspend that is closed now I have to wait five business days to receive a paper check. Netspend informed me that you have no money but if you do call your job and tell them to REFUND YOUR MONEY YOU HAD IN THE ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU WERE BLOCKED SIR! DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE? Do not get this card they are a scam we need a lawsuit!

Desired outcome: Tell everyone you know to stay away from any prepaid card made in India they are scamming us.

NetSpend - Netspend account

There were 2 times money was taken out of my account with out my approval. The first time was 100 dollars. The second time was 300 dollars. I complained they say they will investigate and call me back. That's was 3 months ago. Never heard from them or the money also I had to cancel my card like 3 times cause someone else had my info. And I have to stay with no money until i get the new card. Thats ridiculous

Desired outcome: Get my money back

NetSpend - Netspend prepaid card

Hello, my name is Wynette Worthy. I purchased a card for my granddaughter for a christmas present, I believe it was on the 19th of Dec.2021 and put $50 on the card for her to use. I was under the impression that she could use the card for future deposits, she's only 12 yrs old. They would not activate the card saying she needs to send in proof of residence and I.D or she could spend the card at a store, she can't do that if the card is not activated. She informed me that she isn't able to activate the card, so I called your customer service line on Thursday 12/23/21 and spoke to two of your workers. At the time I was at my daughter's house trying to get this straightened out over the phone, they kept asking her to get on the phone, when she did and gave them permission to speak to me about it, they kept sending me to the automated voice set up system which kept saying we needed to speak to a customer service rep. I asked to get a refund from them, they said my granddaughter (Erin Johnson) needs to provide I.D, proof of residence and email it to your company. I tried explaining to them that she's only twelve she doesn't have those things. I'd be glad to provide those things being that I'm the one who purchased the card for her in the first place. I still have the receipt. Your workers on the customer service line are hard to understand and Rude. This is my first and last time using this service. I've made call after call and no one will even listen to what I have to say to try and resolve it. Please contact me ASAP or I will report this to the Better Business Bureau. She's not old enough to sign anything legally. I thought it was just a card that she could use when she wanted to purchase something online. Please contact me, before I have to take further actions.

Desired outcome: I would like a refund to my card

NetSpend - Debit card

The week of Xmas I had to transfer money to my moms account like I have done before, she needs heart medicine and I pay for that. Well it was a issue now, my mom has a card I have a card all of a sudden we need you to take a picture of your current ID and your social security card. I thought that was unlawful to send such a document in any email etc.. Netspend stated if you want your MONEY YOU MUST SEND IT NOW OR NO MONEY! I mentioned I do not have my card on me at this time but may I still be able to buy Xmas food? Sure sir your able to buy anything, went to the store DECLINE NETSPEND BLOCKED MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT WARNING NO EMAILS OR CALLS OR TEXT JUST BLOCKED. MY MOM WENT INTO THE HOSPITAL IN FIVE HOURS OF NOT GETTING HER HEART MEDICINE. NETSPEND IS RESPOSIBLE FOR MY MOM HEART FAILING BECAUSE THEY STILL DID NOT UNBLOCK MY CARD! I sent in a total of 16 pics of my PICTURE ID AND SOCIAL THE SOCIAL WAS APPROVED BUT DENIED MY PIC ID. I ZOOMED IN ON THE PIC AND THE ADDRESS SEVERAL TIMES AND SENT IN FIVE FULL PIC OF MY FACE AND CURRENT ADDRESS THAT I HAVE BEEN HERE SINCE 1999. ONCE AGAIN SIR YOUR REQUEST HAS BEEN DENIED! SIR ONCE AGAIN SEND IN YOUR PIC ID! I CUSSED THE ASSOCIATE AND THE COMPANY I HAVE COMPLIED TO YOUR REQUEST AND YOU MAY VIEW THAT IT IS THE SAME PERSON AND THE ADDRESS IS THE SAME YOU HAVE MY RECENT CHECK ON THE CARD AND YOUR BLOCKING ME FROM BUYING FOOD ETC...NETSPEND COULD CARE LESS I HAD NO FOOD FOR XMAS MY MOM WAS IN THE HOSPITAL DUE TO THIS COMPANY. BLOCKING ACCOUNTS FOR NO REASON! I DID NOT CALL TO SAY MY CARD WAS LOST OR STOLEN SO WHY BLOCK IT, THEY DID IT TO BE HATEFUL TO AMERICANS. THIS IS WHAT WE GET WHEN USING THESE OTHER COUNTRIES PREPAID CARDS THEY SHOULD BE REMOVED AND SUED! NETSPEND YOU DO NOT CARE AND I KNOW IT! SHAME ON YOU FOR SENDING A SENIOR CITIZEN IN THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE YOU REFUSE FOR HER SON TO BUY HER MEDICINE! YOU HAVE TRAINED ALL OF YOUR ASSOCIATE TO REPEAT THE SAME LINE SEND IN YOUR PICS AND WHEN THEY DO IT YOU CONTINUELY, FIND WAYS TO DENY ACCESS TO THEIR CARD.

Desired outcome: RUN FROM NETSPEND ACCOUNT BLOCK!

everytime for a week that an auto withdrawal came out they blocked me for past week demanding documents now after years no overdrafts ever imi 71 need my acct open asap

they blocked mine 71 yrs old not a penny on me lied and lied to me

hampton va usa

The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

NetSpend - Dispute Question ?

So I gave a written statement on the 4th day of receiving info on the dispute I filed, after someone stealing my card and phone ( which contained my account information on user names and passwords for my bank accounts ) I'm still waiting on the provisional credit though and am wondering how long it takes to receive after turning in the written statement.

?

L
Dec 16, 2021

NetSpend - Netspend

I went to atm and didn't take money out fast enough and it took it back. $200 I called Netspend that day 12/2 and was told it might take a couple weeks to get back. I contacted them again and was told a few days, again contacted and was told a few days. They refuse to put supervisor on, they say there isn't one or they hang up on you. They are now telling me I had to file written dispute within 10 days and now it's to late. I was never told this on the first day I called. They are stealing my money

The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

NetSpend - Inability to speak to a reputable agent regarding an estate matter, closing debit card and releasing funds to next of kin

NetSpend will not release funds on a debit card of a deceased party without the next of kin opening an estate for the deceased. Despite several attempts to speak with a reputable representative who...

NetSpend - Closed account

Netspend closed my account without notice, stating they could no longer protect my identity, but wouldn't reveal if someone tried to hack into my account. I was told a check for the remaining balance would be sent via UPS within 7-10 business days but I haven't received my money and it's been over the allotted time. During a pandemic, with a 13 year old son and no money to survive on is terrible and you guys should be ashamed of yourself. Netspend couldn't even provide me a tracking number which is odd if the check was mailed via UPS. I'm going to call a lawyer, the DA, the news and any other outlet because I shouldn't have to wait this long for my check.

Desired outcome: Send me my money via check that won't bounce

NetSpend - NetSpend prepaid card

Look I bought a NetSpend card at a rite aid and i really regret doing so I needed to pay a few bills online so it was urgent that I get a card to do so unfortunately I bought the wro g type of card. First of all this was a urgent matter so I grabbed a card in which I've heard good things from informercials on tv and people if dated n they seemed to be happy with it service so I felt comfortable in choosing ur service but oh was i wrong. I then try activating the card but[ the damn operator froze my account and then I have to provide u folks with a bunch of my information and j really am not happy about giving out my social security number out like that and not only that but i provided pictures of my ss# I'd why not even the dpss will do that and yet companies like yours always do it so absurd but anyways b4 i even got the directions and pin # from a representative I had to first got thru a couple of other Representatives in which seemed unmoved very uncompassionate very cold and uncaring about my situation in 2hich i was very frustrated bothered and overwhelmed pleading with them my case trying to communicate with them as best I could thow urgent my situation was and they claimed there was very little they could do to help me out that there was a process and procedure they were trained to do ad that was all.i had to just wait 6 long business hours after i figured out how to send the picture of the requested documents just to never receive nothing my account is still locked i got a email that my address had been updated. hat ever that means. look man I'm very frustrated and eager to use my money why I the hell did u guys rip me off 4. So because I went ahead and chose to do business with this so called reliable service and find out that u guys are not =reliable If this situation would of been a life threatening one then I would of been screwed if I would used this service. please help me out resolve and recover the 300 [protected]@t sitting in ur damn bank is all I'm asking for i cant afford to lose this.
6 business hours y in the hell haven't I heard from u guys i know u guys leave at 10pm and it's 2hrs and 2min past that but still in was hoping to have had heard something about this damn situation by now I mean come on what the big idea here I swear I'm really regretting using ur service

Is there a alternative for the refund

Desired outcome: Refund of 300 without it being taxed they should pay for the refund

NetSpend - Misleading me lying to me harassment etc

Would prefer a representative call me [protected] fraud was noticed on Nov 6 2021 when I was checking my balance. I contacted Ace Flare to get assisted. Have been harassed lied to mislead etc by netspend continuously over this. Need assistance . Also have been lied to continuously over issuing me a new ace flare debit card. Still haven't received my card. I've been with Metabank ace flare for many years. Have had direct deposit also for many years. Thank you Jill Kekki

Desired outcome: Discipline actions over this and assist in getting my ace flare debit card.

How funny, their only response Ever on this page is "We do not recommend you sharing personal information online". That's because Netspend is stealing 'Everyone's Money. They don't want it online because THEY are a FRAUD. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD, AND RIGHT NOW, THEY ARE BEING INVESTIGATED. HOW ABOUT THAT! I have that First-Hand thru a Very Good Source. The laugh is finally on this company, thank goodness, because I am almost certain that one of their many employers just ripped me off, and I'm sure from what I'm hearing, many other's, by using my 16 digit numbers to buy something from a company many states away from where I live. How stupid is that! Your employers CANNOT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH, HARDLY! I can't wait until this company gets sued and is out of business. Nothing but headaches and loss of money...

Good Riddance, Netspend...

NetSpend - Card

I originally bought this card as a gift for a friend overseas but found out it wasn't somethingthey could use in their country. I put the card away thinking I could use it at a future time. When I went to activate it they said the funds had all been used for "inactivity ". How is that possible if card had never been activated. Their customer service said there was nothing they could do to help me.

Desired outcome: Refund

NetSpend - The commercial

Every black person on the planet should be pissed at this f"ckng commercial. They have a black man saying" a family and a finances"? Wtf! Does no one else hear this but me? This wording is ridiculous! That alone made me suspicious of this company now I see all the reviews. Unbelievable! Stop running this commercial please"you got this because you can get your money 2 days sooner"? What a joke!

How stupid, "a family and "a" finances". Netspend can't talk English, let alone write English correctly. I absolutely Hate Netspend! They ripped me off recently and now they are being investigated, because of so many unlawful activities. They will eventually pay!

L
Nov 16, 2021

NetSpend - Can't approve my Address

I've sent in my State I D And my Social And a piece of mail. All was accepted but my mail. I've been locked out of my account 2 months in a row now. I have no bills in my name Im not the breadwinner of my house hold. I need my money still and this is ridiculous I call I can't get no help just told to send my documents to the ADDRESS.. this is ridiculous

Desired outcome: I need in my account

M

Yes so true my mom just gotten out of the hospital because I pay for her heart medicine do you know they just blocked my card without warning no email I asked why the fraud department stated we are not obligated, to give you that information sir good bye send in a copy of your ID etc.. my post is here online. Tell everyone you know to stay away from this fraud company.

V
Nov 15, 2021

NetSpend - Refund on Netspend account

My husband died January 2020. I have Netspend card# [protected] that has a $200 balance on it. On July 11, 2021 I submitted my marriage certificate, his death certificate, copies of both of our driver's licenses to: [protected]@netspend.com. On the same day at 8:10 am I received an email from Josephine in your customer service department with the email address of: [protected]@netspend.com who stated:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 8:10 AM Documents wrote:
Account number: [protected]

Dear Cardholder,

Thank you for your email. We received documents from you today. I reviewed your account and confirmed you have full access to your prepaid card.

If you have additional questions, please contact Customer Service by calling the number located on the back of your card.

Thank you for being our customer and choosing our prepaid card!

Regards,

Josephine

When I tried to access funds on the card it came back as reported lost or stolen. I sent an email to the same email address: [protected]@netspend.com letting them know the situation. I received an email back stating I would need to contact customer service.
I called customer service on:
10/15/2021 6:19 PM 1-866 # [protected] 1 Min
10/15/2021 6:19 PM 1-866 # [protected] 14 Min
10/15/2021 6:16 PM 1-866 # [protected] 3 Min

and spoke with a customer service rep who stated I would receive a refund by check in the mail in the next two weeks. It never came. I called customer service tonight and spoke with a customer service rep who said she needed to speak with my husband after I just informed her he was dead. She wanted me to resubmit all of my documentation I submitted in July. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with Eric and he stated he was going to submit a request to the document department regarding this account for an update. I am to call back tomorrow to see what they say. I am very upset and frustrated that I have to keep dealing with this since July of this year, 4 months I have tried to get this refunded and I keep getting the run around.
I called back on November 13, 2021 and when I finally got through to a customer service representative they transferred me back to the automated line. I hung up and decided to file this complaint for help.
My number is [protected]

Desired outcome: refund asap

NetSpend - Netspend

They advertise a provisional credit for customer during a dispute but it's a joke.i was told the credit was going to be available on the 9th and it's the 15th and all they do is run you in circles.i explained it was ruining my son's bday and making my bills late but no help despite me being a customer in this acct since 2020 and before in old account for 5 years

1 2 3  ...  28