Menu

complaints

NetSpend Complaints Summary

536 Resolved
260 Unresolved
Our verdict: With a good resolution rate, NetSpend generally handles customer issues well. However, it’s important to be proactive. Familiarize yourself with their processes and services. Reading through various customer experiences will provide valuable insights into how they handle complex issues.
File a complaint
Claimed
NetSpend has claimed their business profile
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of NetSpend. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

NetSpend complaints 796

Sort by:

Newest NetSpend complaints

10:18 pm EDT

NetSpend unfair practices

This bank is to be avoided.

Fees are very high.

Automatic deposits are not posted to account as per instructions.

They locked my internet on-line banking account for an unknown reason and they have not reinstated it. I have called them for over six months and each time they (customer service) say my request will be forwarded to that department and that my service will be back on in 4-7 or 2-4 or 7-14 days. It is still not accessable.

Customer Service personell can be very rude and periodically speak very rough English. The room they are in is very loud and this sometimes makes it impossible to hear the person you are speaking to. They refuse to connect you to a supervisor or another department stating they don't have that capability.

My account statement period ends on the 14th or 15th of the month and I don't receive the US mailed version until after the 1st FIRST of the month...over 15 days after the statement period ends.

They have shut down their e-mail and also their fax support. NOW if you need support help your only option is to send them a letter via US Mail. I suspect they closed these due to a very high volume of complaints.

Sadly I have been banking with them for more than 14 years, this is the fourth company that has owned the bank and by far the worst.

casey1990
Port Angeles, US
Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm EST

I have been trying to contact this bank for over a week now! Every time i call it says the same thing about experancing high volume and to call back I have yet to talk to a REAL person! I withdrew money on Friday the 25th of January and I got shorted $40 then I call to check my balance and it said that I have a overdraft fee of $49.68 which I din't do I really would like a REAL PERSON to contact me asap PLEASE!

casey1990
Port Angeles, US
Jan 31, 2013 10:56 pm EST

I can't believe this bank! I have been trying to get a hold of this bank for over a week now I have a overdraft fee that I didn't do also I'm locked out of my account for no reason! Everytime I call I get the same thing that they experance high volume, REALLY!?!? for a whole week!

kstelly
cypess, US
Aug 01, 2011 10:14 pm EDT

this is the most unprofessional bank i have ever dealt with.
they took money out of my account and is giving me the run-arounds on giving me my money back.
i followed all instuctions on what paper work that was needed to file the complaint on the fraudulent activity that was on my account. after reading the reviews on this bank im further learning that they are a BIG RIP OFF! Im still waiting on my money to get drafted back into my account so that i can close this account and send my direct deposites to another bank! if you know anyone that is banking with this bank please inform them to switch banks soon because sooner or later they will have funds drafted from their account that was no authorised and will not get them refunded before 90 days and then thereafter the account will be closed!

PissedDanielle
Hobart, US
Jul 14, 2011 1:04 am EDT

I've had this bank for less than months, and all I get is problems, they shut down my account online and locked it. The girl I talked to on the phone told me she unlocked it, but it is still locked. I've already made a bank account with another bank, and once I spend the rest of the money on this card, since it's too expensive to withdrawl it because fees are so high, I'm sticking to Tech. I went to walmart, and my card was declined, when I know I have money on it, so when I called in, they literally told me they were holding on to my money for two weeks because of an online purchase I made at Amazon.com. There is really no reason they have for holding on to it. She said I can't get my two hundred dollars back until next friday, unless I want to contact a representative of the website and have them send in a letter with the letterhead of the website and a signiture, then they would send me stuff that I would have to sign, then send back. By the time all that is done, it WILL be next Friday. I hate this bank, and can't wait until I'm done with them.

10:25 pm EDT
Replied
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend atm fees

I recieve Social Sercurity disability and get a monthly check. About four years ago I decided to get a prepaid debit card to avoid the hassle of trying to get the check cashed and waiting on the mail. When I activated the card, I enrolled in direct deposit and choose the Fee Advantage plan. According to my plan signature and pin purchases were free also the first two in network ATM withdraws were free as well. I paid $7.95 a month for this plan and at that time I had no internet access. This year in June I gained access to the internet and in August I started looking at monthly statements online. I was surprised to discover that I had never got any free Atm withdraws. I contacted customer support and got a message in my secure inbox stating I had not used an in network ATM. My plan reads if I use a network ATM the owner fees and the first two ATM fees of $2.50 will be waived. I did a little searching to find the network ATM's and discovered most 7-11's have a Allpoint ATM machine and I knew I had used 7-11 several times last year and found the transactions on my online statements but was still charged the fee. Contacted customer support again and after actually get an agent it took 45 minutes of trying to explainand understand agent for her to tell me, she was going to transfer me to her supervisor. After another 45 minutes of waiting for the supervisor I just hung up. I have proof of at least 6 times I shouldn't have been charged. I got a another message in my inbox this time they say that they already waived the signature and pin transactionsand are not going to waive the ATM fees that are outlined in my plan. It's asif they are doing me a favor by letting me pay my monthly fees and honoring only the parts they want. It's not alot of money however if they are doing it to the other 3 million card holders then there is a big problem so check your fee plans and watch them very close. I am very curious as to how many other people are being victomized. My card is also associated with HEB and I will be contacting them as well

Dummymoss-13
Aug 13, 2018 11:24 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Got locked out of my account. Don't know what to do

jjhenri253
Jan 01, 2016 10:57 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

As the complaints above, this card is useless. My husband and I received 2 cards for christmas. One for me and one for him. We activated both cards, which had $50 dollars each. When I tried logging in the other day and I was unable too. Aside from the fact that we hadn't used the cards yet and we get locked out of our accounts. I think after all the negative reviews I have seen. I dont trust Netspend and on top of that, I do not feel comfortable having to email documents such as a copy of my social security card, my ID card, and a bill to show proof of my address. Plus I dislike that you have to wait for them to troubleshoot the account in order to find out why you're receiving the message about being being locked out. I would never recommend Netspend to a friend.

Sherdi
Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm EDT

I tried to check my balance. When I entered my User Name and Password - it says it's invalid. I called to check my balance and I have to pay a dollar. I put my user name and password in my Reminders on my phone when I activated my card. I know they are correct. It makes me feel that they are forcing me to call to check my balance just so they get a dollar. I don't like feeling cheated and I will not be using thus card again.

Krishunda armstead
Corpus Christi, US
Sep 10, 2014 10:32 pm EDT

I recently purchased heb card not knowing it was part of netspend. This was sunday
September7, 2014. I loaded the card with $215.00. They would not activate my card, for use. I contacted heb, where I made the purchase and loadedloaded the money, they said they couldn't help me as nestled was a third party. It's now Wednesday and I can't use my card or get the money back! I called the company. They said the card was active! I made the guy stay on the phone with me while I got a drink. The card went through! But as far as using it again, later that day, it says no money is on it! Ok where the hell is my money? Who can help me! I'm totally disgusted that heb is in parsnips with them. I want my money

10:39 am EDT

NetSpend cancelled card after depositing $900. oo

Deposited $900.00 on 8/24/2010. Made a transaction for insurance by phone in encinitas ca (Less than $300.00) on 8/28 tried to use card recently and declined "suspected fraud". Called customer service and verified my identity and they informed me my card has been cancelled and my balance was one dollar. Asked to speak to supervisor, put on hold for one hour. They are trying to steal over $600.00 from me! Customer service is rude and every attempt to resolve this is a dead end.

Margaret Crayford
Clearlake Park, US
Jul 25, 2014 10:52 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had 4000.00 loaded on my card was use it and went to use again and card was cancelled with no explanation would like to get it back or at least know why it was cancelled

JHIERRY GORDON
Ellenwood, US
Jul 15, 2012 1:38 pm EDT

I am having the worst day dealing with Netspend. My account has been blocked by them, due to a refund done my a store back to the wrong Visa card. Alex at Netspend was rude and very asinine about the entire ordeal

Sep 29, 2010 10:36 am EDT

Dear Kevin,

We apologize that your account has been compromised. Your account was closed to prevent any additional fraud on your account. We show that all of the funds on the account have been used by the thief that had access to your information. We strongly recommend contacting the FTC and credit bureaus to report identity theft since this person knows your personal information. We are in the process of getting these funds back for you due to this unfortunate incident. Unfortunately, there is no phone number on your account, so we are unable to contact you. Please call us at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss what will happen with your funds.

Again we would like to apologize for this unfortunate situation you have to endure. We understand it can be frustrating and look forward to speaking with you.

NetSpend Corp
[protected]

I
2:36 pm EDT

NetSpend unauthorized charges

I am computer illiterate and am having problems with netspend.com i. E. Prepaid visa account. Several unauthorized charges from family save.com & family care.com have been made to my account and I cannot find information on family save so that I may contact their customer service. Help!I did not order any products from these companies nor do I have any pending purchases,. How do I get my money refunded. I have made contaqct with family care and they were rude but still I received a cancellation number but my phone conversation was not a pleasant experience. How do I get my money back?

Parker
Feb 18, 2009 11:32 am EST

Netspend is the biggest rip off ever. If you can please avoid using their cards. I recently had a run in with their rude customer service reps regarding why the places a 'block' on my money. I was told I had another account with a negative balance of $360. I explained to them that I never opened another account and the only account I have with them is the one I activated a day prior to this incident. They refused to investigate or remove the block. I immediately canceled the account and wanted my money returned, they told me they would send me a check in 20 days and then charge me a $5.95 processing fee. I was shocked and quite frustrated to hear that they were charging me to get back my money! That was outrageous, then they do not offer any other way to get your money back other than waiting almost a month for a check. Thank goodness I am not in serious need of the funds. If you must use a pre-paid card I recommend green dot.

Brenda D. Bell
Dec 26, 2010 4:53 am EST

I am being charged $5.00 every month by netspend & I'm do not understand why & whenever I call to talk to a representative all I get is the automatic service and no satisfaction, all I want is for the charges to stop.

xoxovampy
Jun 27, 2009 2:48 am EDT

Wow, I think I would have been more concerned about having them look into that other negative account, more than anything else. I mean, where did that come from and why? Also, do they know if it was really you or how closely that information came to matching you?

Unfortunately, when you do cancel an account, that fee is stated in their terms and conditions. They charge you to cut the check that sets you free. In your case, it'd be awesome if they waived it to make you happy, but unfortunately, it sounds like they really believe that you are the same person that owes the money.

So they are going to play hardball and charge the fee :(

I'm sorry.

W
4:43 pm EDT

NetSpend unauthorized charge

I was online today 7/22/10 checking my account because I had some very important bills to pay that would totally take all the money in my accout to pay, so I wanted to make sure that before I made the payments that there would be the amout of what I was going to pay on my card. Well low and behold amazon.com amzn.com/billwaus was under my pending charges for $69.99 for some books that I never ordered. Of course I had to alert all my friends and co-worker to check their balance because this is fraud. I will be calling my attorney to find out what can be done about this. I copied and pasted the name of where the charge was coming from and found this site. It appears that I am not the only one this has happened too, so people check your bank, credit cards or what ever type of accout you have to make sure that you don't have charges that you did not authorize coming from amazon.com amzn.com/billwaus. Thieves!

Read full review of NetSpend and 5 comments

5 comments
kihelp
ST. FRANCISVILLE, US
Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm EDT

I have a charge on my account from VISANET TERMINAL TRACESAN MATEO US. Which happens to be the same amount of my car payment that I made to a credit union using my NetSpend card. I called the credit union and they said they did not know of any holds etc. I called Netspend and they said they could not help. Anyone know anything about this?

Dave Townrow
Echuca, AU
Jun 14, 2012 4:19 am EDT

a friend has had $1000 taken from their account from 10 itunes transactions for slotmania..what can be done to this moneyback?
dave

Aug 06, 2010 8:31 am EDT

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. I have personally had some unauthorized charges show up on my account and it is very frustrating. Have you ever done business with Amazon before? I would contact them to see if they could refund it. NetSpend should also be able to dispute this charge, but I know you will have to fax in a letter of dispute.

I would have directed this complaint to Amazon though since they were the ones that charged your card.

Good luck and I hope you get your money back.

Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm EDT

Visanet is the network Visa uses to process transactions. A lot of times when you see a transaction pending it will show Visanet, but when it posts it will show the actual merchant name. These charges are most likely valid, it just did not show the merchant name.

bizemom
Cartersville, US
Sep 10, 2009 11:17 am EDT

I was just charged $10 from VISANET TERMINAL TRACESAN MATEO US and I have no idea who they are.

W
3:58 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

NetSpend customer service and unauth debits

This motel used my credit card number from a previous stay over 2months ago and debited my acct again without my auth on [protected] for 50.53 which I have not stayed there since... I called net spend customer service and there really slow none fluent english speaking reps... This is a pissy company I will be filing a lawsuit on netspend..com. Future customer's be aware do not allow yourself to get put in a trap this is a scam company...

Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am EDT

It sounds to me that your complaint should be directed towards the hotel that charged your card. You may have owed money in which they were finally able to collect if there were not enough funds in those 2 months. Every financial institution should be able to dispute an unauthorized charge such as this, so I am sure that Netspend can help. It is difficult to find companies that do not outsource their customer service so I would not blame them for that. I wish you luck in getting your money returned.

H
5:11 am EDT

NetSpend horrible customer service

Worst customer service in the world. If you dispute a charge expect not to get it credited back to your account unless you call the Ceo of the Company! They opererate as a bank but dont do what a Bank does. Does it matter if you have been with them over a number of years? No it does not! Horrible Horrible Horrible Horrible Netspend! Omg they are terrible. They will treat you like you are at fault. I have lost money because i was to frustrated to deal with them knowing i will not get results omg omg horrible company.

autismmom
Oct 30, 2010 7:33 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Personally, I just had a LOT of unauthorized transactions (a lot of small transactions all in one day from the same company totally over $700.00!), I immediately reported via online dispute thru the netspend site, and I also called them right away too. I TOO often have a hard time understanding the 'frontline' customer "service" people too, but if you INSIST to talk to someone else, a supervisor, or in my case, the dispute/fraud area, you actually get someone who speaks english, but someone who can UNDERSTAND english...ARGH!
Anyway, I had to immediately notify them, and then they requested I fill out a special form, which I did right away that same day I noticed the 'pending charges' (some posted and some were pending still)...I could only fill out a form for the actual posted transactions, but I was told that I should keep an eye out on the pending ones, and if they did go to posted, I should also immediately dispute those charges as well, which I did the monday after, when they went from pending to posted.

I also contacted my local law enforcement, but they couldnt file a report, as I need much more info/what it was for/etc...and that theytold me unfortuneately that unless the amount was larger or I could proove Identity theft, they could file a report but not actively work on it...and since I had previously made one purchase to this same company, it wasnt considered ID theft because, even though I didnt authorize the unauthorized transactions, I DID give them the card info previously, so they didnt steal the number..they DID steal the money...kind of a weird thing, but understanding the ins/outs of how to make sure your rights as a card customer is ESSENTIAL to getting things worked out properly...

..if you do not take an ACTIVE and POSITIVE AND IMMEDIATE role in this, then you will unfortunately probably not get your issues worked out appropriately.

Anyway, my story ends like this, after I did my work on the account, everything they requested, I had to wait 5-7 days for Netspend to do their initial work, and since they could determine that I had a previous transaction with the company, I had to wait for a full investigation...if it was 'out of the blue' with a company I had never dealt with before, or a clear case of ID theft/etc, then Netspend, according to VISA and their agreement with VISA, they have to give you a CREDIT for the charges UNTIL they complete the full investigation...
I called them once per week thru the whole thing (the charges were unauthroized at the beginning of Sept, and I just got my proper refund last week, which was within the rights they had, because they had to send info to the company who made the charges, and its much quicker if hte company was in the US..thankfully this was, so they have to by LAW give the company a chance to respond...netspend did, and the company never responded, OR responded with information that was not showing I DID authorize those charges, so then I 'won' the investigation and got my money back...

Sure it took some time, about 45 days or so I think, and YES, we need every penny of that money, a family of 5 with 2 disabled kids, and my hubby is the only source of income other than 2 small SSI payments for my kids..and he has been laid off for some time, so he only gets unemployment...so the missing $700 was a TON for us!

Long story short, follow the directions exactly from netspend, keep a copy of everything, when you call, write down the name of the service person you speak too...and you will find, as long as you follow the directions, you will get your money back provided you are honest and the money was not authorized...if you try to 'buck' the system, you will not get anywhere and will never get your money back...so be honest, be complete, and keep on it...

IF you do follow netspends directions and have notified them in the time the laws permit/etc, and then they do not follow the law, then I would contact VISA directly as Netspend has to follow their contract with VISA, outlining the law specifically as to how to handle unauthorized/disputed transactions...so, you can see that info on netspends site, as well as VISA or Mastercard (whatever card you carry from Metabank/Netspend)...also, you can contact Metabank too...

BUt I wouldnt go over the top and all negative UNTIL YOU DO YOUR WORK FIRST...you will not be taken serious anywhere if you cant even notify/initiate the dispute properly, or get hot-headed with a front line service rep...stay calm, be complete and timely with your responses, and always ask for a supervisor if you cant understand or feel you are getting a correct response...

Shenna Miller
Charlotte , US
May 14, 2010 7:49 am EDT

I agree their customer service... Sucks!, I hate calling them, you cant understand what they are saying, and they try to rush you off the phone.. Horrible.. hoerrible... horrible!

7:42 pm EDT
Replied
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend fraud

My friend referred me to get net spend card so I did we were told we each would get 20.00 for referrall never got it when I called they said I was sent a net spend card two years ago never activated it or use it but that made me not eligible for card then when tried to cancel card they weanted to charge me

victoriasmith
Terrell, US
Oct 02, 2013 8:18 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have never been more angry with a company than I am with Netspend. In the past 4 months I have been a victim of fraud. I live in Texas and the charges have been in Florida. My account and card were both blocked. My main reason for calling this past Friday was that I have direct deposit and was told that I would be able to call and have it transferred to a different account. When calling and speaking with the company concerning this matter, I was placed on hold for hours at a time and spoke to 11 different people. Finally the 11th person used common sense and unblocked the card for me to retrieve my funds then blocked the card back (all while I was on the phone with them). When I tried to find out the status of my account yesterday I was told it would take 10 days for the Fraud situation to be handled. This situation has put me and my family in a major financial bind. I will be closing my account and going with a different company/bank when or if they decide to place my funds back into my account. I will be filing with the Better Business Bureau and speaking with Texas State Attorney General.

DownWithNetspend
Balch Springs, US
Feb 14, 2013 3:27 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I bet TravV works for netspend...similar to a name I dealt
with

Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm EDT

If you had a card with this company before then it is understandable that you would not be a new customer for them. I am sure there is fine print somewhere which states restrictions of this refer-a-friend program. Unless you were charged something for the card I would not consider this fraud.

12:23 pm EST

NetSpend rip off

Netspend lost my tax refund & refuses to help me there areseveral complaint just like mine there are a big rip off.

SSS
jajajjaj, US
Dec 26, 2008 5:54 pm EST

On 12/25/08 I discovered that 14 unauthorized charges were made to my Netspend debit card. I called Netspend and was HORRIFIED to find out that not only was all of my money taken but there wasn't anything I could do about it. According to netspend, because these transactions are still "pending" I have to wait until they go through and then and only then can I start the dispute process (oh yes, and all the transactions were made on 12/24 and it is now 12/26 & they are still "pending"). Meanwhile I have $0 and I could be waiting for who knows how long to get my money back. The company treated me as if I were to blame for using my debit card online at some point in my life allowing someone to hack into my computer and gain access to my #. I was able to contact some of the companies that charges were made from and they were wonderful in immediately refunding my money when they realized that the billing address that the person who stole my number used and my actual billing address did not match up.
Another point I brought up to Netspend was how the transactions were allowed to be authorized if the billing address did not match up. They had no answer for this and continued to tell me that they couldn't do anything until the merchants collected their money. Many of the merchants were unable to be contacted because they are fraudulent businesses who's telephone numbers lead to no where or have been disconnected. I was informed by Netspend that many of these companies were associated with an online gambling site that is out of the country. I am filing a complaint because of the inability and unwillingness of the company Netspend to answer for why they approved transactions when the billing address was incorrect and also for their "too bad so sad" attitude towards refunding my money or helping me expedite the return of my money from these fraudulent charges. They made me feel like i was being punished for having my debit card # stolen and now I have to figure out what I am going to do for money until my dispute goes through. Nobody at the company speaks English and they all read from a script. God forbid you ask them a question that they don't have a scripted answer for because then they just start rattling on about the closest thing they have in their script even if it has NOTHING to do with the question you just asked. If you are even entertaining the thought of using Netspend don't!

Kurt
Sep 27, 2010 9:41 am EDT

Iam a disability patient and i had my wallet stole, so i requested the old card stolen .Well i was told another would be sent to me.Good, well time had gone by, and i finally came across some money to make my phone payment.That's when i had trouble with the payment going thru first it was because the card wasnt activated, i did when i got the card.So then i tried again this time money had been deducted for sending me a new card.I was never told i would be charge for a new card.And i had check my balances before just to check and there was no pending transactions

Feb 25, 2010 10:51 am EST

How did NetSpend lose your tax refund? Did they receive it and then send it back? Or did they not get it at all? If this is the case you may need to direct your complaint towards the IRS since they may have sent it to a different account. This happened to me once and it is a pain.

ewissangl
Abilene, US
Feb 05, 2009 1:33 pm EST

Netspend is headed down the toilet due to their poor customer support mechanisms.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are complicit in the theft of the funds themselves.

12:37 pm EST

NetSpend bad service

Is netspend going out of business? if so, will they tell us. i have never seen a credit card company have so many problems with their system and it is always down. i am really gettng scare with netspend. it is so hard to get customer service and its always some foreigner that can't speak or understand english very well. i had to ask for someone who can read, speak and understand the english language. i hate to say this, but i ask them is there any americans in customer service i can speak with. i am good at recognizing voices, but i am given a different name.

Valerie
Valerie
Dec 04, 2008 8:27 am EST

I recently stayed at a hotel in Boise Idaho and used my NetSpend debit card for three small purchases. I was double billed for these purchases. After a few days all of the charges posted to my account except one. This charge, for $15.37 still shows as "pending" on my NetSpend account after 16 days.

NetSpend refuses to release the funds and variously cites their policy, and a law that says hotel merchants have 90 days to collect these funds.

I have contacted the hotel and they have faxed letters to NetSpend stating that they have released the funds and have no intent of collecting them. NetSpend still refuses to release them.

I have spent over one hour of cell phone time unsuccessfully trying to get NetSpend to release the funds. They have put me on hold for over 15 minutes at a time or simply stated their various policies. And have refused to let me talk to their supervisors.

This is not the first time this has happened. Over the course of my three years with NetSpend it has happened each time I make a purchase at a hotel. I've always had to work with the hotel to get the funds released but NetSpend refuses to do so. I believe that the problem is somewhere in the NetSpend system rather than the various hotels. And they refuse to remedy it.

Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am EST

There is no way that NetSpend would be going out of business. Their customer base is growing more and more everyday. I have been a customer for over 3 years and have never really had a problem with them. Yes their customer service is outsourced, but I feel confident that they know what they are doing. The website issues have been frequent more recently but I am sure this will be fixed also since this is a huge inconvenience for both us the customers and them. As with all companies they have to deal with their growth, and I am sure these problems will be resolved.
P.S. NetSpend is not a bank or a credit card company. They are a pre-paid debit card company.

xoxovampy
Jun 27, 2009 2:52 am EDT

Have you thought about not making any more small purchases at hotels? Or just hitting an atm and taking the money out to avoid all of this frustration?

Keep in mind when you make a purchase, it takes two computers talking, and two companies legal divisions to nteract with each other, often times indirectly.

Netspend may not be interested in a hotel saying they are going to release the charges because it still shows up in their system. The hotel might be better off refunding the money to get it to simply cancel out of the system if they wish to be helpful.

mad1
Dallas, US
May 21, 2009 1:40 pm EDT

this is so true, im on the phone with them now and i told them my card was stolen and he wouldnt let me talk to a supervisor he insisted to fix it himself and sent me a new card out when i had already asked for two other cards in the past that i did not recieve...

THIS IS ###! i dont like them at all...

now their telling me that i dont have any money on my card and that someone activated the card and spent the money... i have not recieved a damn card in the mail...

and they still wont let me speak to a supervisor...ive been on the phone with them for 30 minutes...

im going to file a lawsuit on their ###

10:41 pm EST

NetSpend fees higher than stated

Netspend has charged me much more than they say they will. I signed up for a program that cost 10$ and allows you to charge things with no fee except for withdrawing money from an atm, well they did both took my 10 dollars and still is charging mefor withdrawls. They are a poorly run, dishonest business that slowly steals from you. I have tried repeatedly to talk to a person about this but only get recordings in which they charge you for! Scammers! I have switched to another card and they are charging me what they say they will, which is all I ask.

phxangel2774
Phoenix, US
Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am EST

I have always had good service over the phone and no problem getting a hold of someone (which they don't charge for)...(THEY DID BOTH TOOK MY 10 DOLLARS AND STILL IS CHARGING MEFOR WITHDRAWLS) ...well whether you pay the ten dollar fee or not, you are charged for ATM withdraws which is stated under the fees section. But is sounds like you are not signed up for the ten dollar a month plan.

Feb 08, 2010 8:57 am EST

Hi Businessman23. The only way this sounds possible is that you were not on the 10$ a month plan. That would be why you were still being charged the transaction fees. I would recommend contacting them to make sure you are on the right plan. Or you could also go to your online account center and see what plan you are on. I never have had trouble getting through to customer service; you would just need to select the appropriate options.

10:30 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have hadan all-access netspend card for 6 months now and i have not been able to speak with a personyet..always the recordings!!.my complaint is that they charge me more than they say they will.For instance they say a purchase will charge 1 dollar.they actually charge 2 dollars!!.i was signed up with the $10 a month program where all purchases except...

5:03 pm EST

NetSpend computer site is always down

To check your balance you have to go to the website but the website is always having "technical difficultys" they need to fire everyone in their computer department!

L
L
LoyalNetSpendCustomer
Feb 02, 2010 8:47 am EST

Every company has their own website issues. I for one love NetSpend and have never really had a problem with them. Yes the site being down is annoying but it has only been down for an hour or so. I am currently on their site now. I am sure they will have this problem resolved and then everyone can continue with their normal finance management.
I would recommend the text message alerts. I have still been getting them and they keep me updated with my balance.

9:54 am EST

NetSpend poor customer service

I have been with net spend for some years now and every now and then, I get poor customer service. Most of the agents their do not and can not understand nor speak correct english and that makes it hard to do business over the phone with them. Main complaint is. I have had my name legally changed through the courts and I needed to contact nets pend to let them know of the changes so my direct deposit checks would still come into the account because if the names don't match, then they will send it back from which the checks come from and I was told to fax all my legally documents over from the courts and was giving a fax number to fax everything over. I called the following week to make sure they had received my fax and was told, no and what fax number did I have and so I gave them the fax number that was giving to me and I was told by the customer agent from net spend to use this other fax number and so I did and call beck with in a few days and was told, no... Nothing, we haven't received anything from you and I said, I have the ok conformation saying you guys received in twice and she what was the fax number someone gave you from here and I told her and she laugh and said, they had giving me the wrong fax number to a different department but here is the correct fax number to the right department and when she gave it to me, I immediately fax over the documents that was requested by me

With all my vital information, I sent in for the third time my court papers showing my new name change, a copy of my driver's license, a copy of my social security card and after waiting a week, I went on their website to contact them by e-mail and asked have they received my documents yet and I got a response back saying, no but resend it again and I told them to close my account and had my checks stop from going to this bank institution and I was told by one of the agents from net spend that they were sorry, that they couldn't close my account right now until I put $5.95 back on the card and then they will close the account but what I don't understand, is why I have to have that money on my net spend just to close out my account. My biggest issue is, my information with my ssn / dl's is circulating out there in someone hands now and because they don't care about the information you send in, someone can ruin my credit. No one in the management team at net spend has taking the time to contact me concerning this matter.

Read full review of NetSpend

7:57 pm EST

NetSpend no money access

Netspend users have been unable to access their money for several hours today. No atm access, denial of funds at the bank, and only get a recording when you call their phone number. Please someone help us

Norman.Taylor3
Kansas City, US
Feb 25, 2011 8:11 pm EST

I was sent money from my unemployment to Net Spend MasterCard / Debit and it's been two days and the still don't have my money posted to my account yet. All I get on the phone is a recording . No representive to talk to about resolveing the issue.

th1973
Nederland, US
Nov 25, 2009 11:03 pm EST

yes, I was also declined on a purchase at Wal Mart when I knew I had plenty of money in my account. I had a basket full of groceries, over $200 and my card wouldn't work. I walked over to the ATM and tried it there too and it didn't work either. I was so embarrassed and worst of all, I couldn't buy my stuff for thanksgiving dinner.

6:26 pm EST

NetSpend non compliance

My card was lost due to a death in the family for almost a year, it had never been used from the original
Amount I spent:$50.00; never activated.
Netspend/allaccessgift.com had put a block on the card.
When I called, stating the facts, giving numbers and verified all info, they said the block would be
Lifted and I could use it at anytime.
Five phones calls later, I was never able to use the card, every time, in any business it was denied and I was told
It was blocked.
Every time I called them, I was curtly told it was ready for use.
I became weary of dealing with their horrible customer service and...
I found out on my third call to them, they had deducted, their "service/maintenance " charges
And there was a balance of $8.51 ! Which I could never use.
Why? Is this place still ripping customers to death? And getting away with it?
Shame on everyone not doing something about this scamming company of thiefs.

F
F
FPS
Strongsville, US
Dec 24, 2009 2:10 pm EST

I got scammed by them too. My card had a block on it and they were deducting monthly fees while it was blocked. I haven't tried to use the balance so I don't know if they really lifted the block or if they are planning on stealing the rest of the money. I will post again after I try to use my card. What they are doing is certainly unethical and should be illegal.

4:02 pm EDT

NetSpend netspend premier

I have been a customer of netspend for years and they offered me a netspend premier card told me if I made a direct deposit of 500.00 I deposited 800.00 2 wks ago after several phone calls and emails to netspend they still have not upgraded the card and have been trying to transfer me all around the world to their dumb customer service department that cant help and keeps refering me back to there website today I have advised them if this isnt resolved I am going to sue them for false advertising in regards to this offer and will also contact the media to maker sure everyone knows not to go for this fake offer

premier netspend
bx, US
Feb 08, 2013 3:57 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

i waiting for a new password forever i was told it would take 13 minutes and after a half hour i still haven't a messages how long will i have to wait it was really fast in the past but since this account went premier i have all kinds of problems getting into my account as of now i cannot access my account online please send your answer to namerocio@yahoo.com i'will be waiting

Kosmos
NY, US
Nov 17, 2009 8:39 am EST

Thank you TravV...

However, NetSpend is not very forthcoming about whatever issues that say they are having; and if this is actually the case, then they should reimburse folk for the fees they incur by not having the Premier Feature activated on their account, no matter what the excuse...

Oct 19, 2009 12:54 pm EDT

Premier was originally set up for accounts that were created after July 09. They informed me that older customers that meet the requirements will be able to upgrade once they have the problem in their system corrected. I believe they can fill out a form for you and will contact you once the issue is fixed.

2:55 pm EDT

NetSpend rip offs

Netspend is a rip-off. They charge you $1.00 -2.00 (depending on if you use your card as a debit or credit) everytime you buy something. They also charge a monthly maintenance fee. If you do not check the fees you will be screwed.

autismmom
Oct 30, 2010 7:42 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

If you enter into ANY AGREEMENT/CONTRACT you need to READ the FULL scope of it...

Sure, they have fees, so do many banks and credit unions. If you read the agreement you made, its there in BLACK AND WHITE, and it is NOT at the bottom in small print and it is NOT in words that are hard for anyone to understand...its really easy to understand if you READ the stuff!

In fact, when you go to your account online, you can see your fee program ANYTIME...also they do offer various programs based on how often you use the atm, how often you make purchases vs atm's...etc...so do yourself a favor, instead of blaming others, READ what you AGREE to, its not anyone else's fault for your not understanding what you sign up for...and if you can not read, thats ok too, if you cant read, then what are you doing agreeing to anything without knowing the ins and outs? You can either get your questions about fees/rules/policies/etc where you purchase the card, or by calling the service number...

...and if you are complaining about bad customer service..well,
I cant argue too much there, as the majority of the front line service employees at netspend cant even speak english, let alone UNDERSTAND it...BUT, instead of getting hot and bothered and upset, ask for a supervisor or someone who could understand you better...and you will get the answers you need...plain and simple...HOWEVER, I do not think this is soley a netspend issue, its EVERY COMPANY out there today, EVERY SINGLE COMPANY has the same horrible service...big banks, big cable companys, BIG cell phones.. you name it, if its a BIG company, it means long wait times and bad front line customer service...so if you are here simply complaining about netspend having bad/long service waits, I would have to think you are posting at every compnay you deal with...and trust me WE ALL KNOW BIG companies have HORRIBLE service...to come here and make a complaint about that, well, take a look at every big company here..same issues...its not right, but its also pretty EXPECTED in calling any company these days unfortuenately...

UP2HEREWITBS
Lancaster, US
Feb 01, 2010 12:04 pm EST

NETSPEND SHOULD BE SUED...TOO MANY ISSUES...NON PROFESSIONAL...FULL OF ###! NOBODY SHOULD OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM...AND ITS PRE PAID...YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULDNT BE ANYTHING U'D HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT...NETSPEND ...U ARE A SAD ### COMPANY..U GUYS PROBABLY USE DIXIE CUPS AND STRING

Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm EDT

Since banks nowadays are getting billions of dollars from overdraft fees, I can see why Netspend charges transaction fees -- they do not allow you to overdraft. After viewing their information it looks like there is also a 9.95 a month plan that will waive the debit and credit fees. The maintenance fee is only charged if you do not use your card in a certain period of time.

6:53 am EDT

NetSpend complaints

I've had Netspend Card for some time now and I was reading about some of your complaints, and I have several, for the latest, their I have to file a dispute over this merchant for this amount they charged me that I didn't authorized and before netspend would just lood into it and get it back for me, now since I can't get ahold of the company they went out of business or something I have to file a dipute and it takes forever to get my money (not to mention the hassel) and who knows if there's a cost. Also I've been having them pay my bills on line and they been getting them paid but every month I have to check to make sure they go out in time and that they have the correct amout, I thought that's what they were suppose to do for you without worry, I guess I was wrong. I called them and they didn't even reconigese one of my bills, and that was my rent. I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone out there no of another good debit card company I don't have to pay all there bills and I can get all there services for free, or at least close to so I can do my banking without worry, I can't go to a regular bank or credit bank my credit sucks. Thanks you.

Oct 19, 2009 3:05 pm EDT

I have a NetSpend card and had to go through a dispute. Yes you do have to fax in a statement stating why you are disputing the charge(which is a requirement for most financial institutions) and yes it does take time, but I was able to win my claim and get my money back. They do not charge anything for disputes.
I have also used the bill pay option a few times and from what I understand, the user has to input the amount and dates for it to be taken out.
From all my research I have found that NetSpend has great features and reasonably priced for a prepaid debit card.

user123879
Saint Paul, US
Oct 14, 2009 5:41 pm EDT

Discover has a pre-paid debit card that works the same way but is backed by Discover -they have really good practices and you dont have to worry about any of this crap. I'd go there! They also dont have a credit check or anything like that. You can get it on their website.

5:49 am EDT

NetSpend put money on card and lost it

I put 109.00 on netspend card and used 20.00 and the rest was lost its been 7 days and still dont know where my money is netspend is the worst custermer service in the world i will never use it again only activated the card 7 days ago

Veronica V. Thompson
Jun 20, 2017 10:27 am EDT

Veronica V. Thompson I won Lottery in the year of 2007. When filling out the forum I put my Netspend Prepaid information in. I call and spoke to Customer Service and was given the information about the account number and routing number. So on September 18, 2007 at 12:45 am I received a text message from Netspend on my cell phone.And at the top of the message it had 18 - 20 numbers then it says deposit from Hoosier Lottery made to then it had the account number. Then it had the amount of deposit for 3854.13 dollars. Then I was already on my computer at that time so, I went online and look at my account. Then I open a saving account and transfer some of money to the saving account. Then I was working making good money and didn't need to use that money. So when I went to use the money but had loss the card. I was told they have no record of that money at all. I have been trying to get this money for a decade, on September 18, 2017 it will be a decade. Now when I speak with people that are suppose to be from Netspend they ask me to give them proof like the account information. Well because they believe i can't come with that information. They playing me, I copy and back up all that information on my old computer that crash and I have not been able to recover the information. And i give them the account information and they are able to pull the information and they say that the money is there then what. They have withholding this money from me for a decade. The money that is in the savings account should be earning crease on it. And why do I have to prove anything they text me and told me that my money was there. and I open that saving account and made that deposit that very night. Why want his company give me my money I need help. vbowers38@yahoo.com [protected].

Melissa Dunn18
Toledo, US
May 03, 2013 12:03 pm EDT

Hi Mastercard representitives. My name is Melissa dunn. I want to report my card lost/stolen and I want my card cancelled so that no one is able to use it. I do not have any information about my card. Please Contact me right away. This is VERY important. My Email is: melissadunn22@yahoo.com OR my phone number is: [protected]. Thank you :]

netspendsucks
nunya, US
Jul 27, 2010 1:49 pm EDT

I had someone paypal me emergency money so I could eat last night. When i tried to transfer it over to my netspend card, I was told that wasn't allowed anymore. Even though netspend still falsely advertises being compatible with paypal.

I issued a refund to the person and told them just transfer the funds to the netspend card directly.
They transfered the funds, their statements show the transfer, and according to netspend the transfer should have occured within minutes. This was over twelve hours ago. When I was able to reach a woman whom I could barely understand, I explained that they stole my money. She told me their records indicate no such transfer took place, then told me such transfers are prohibited.
Even though I was previously given the routing number, account number and told that is all I need, and that it should go through directly.
[censor] YOU netspend, you owe me $65 worth of bananas and cheeseburgers and i am looking into who i should hirie to sue your sorry [censor].

Overview of NetSpend customer experience

Netspend has been receiving a lot of negative feedback from its customers. Many claim that the customer service is terrible and they have difficulty getting in touch with a representative. Others complain about the website and mobile app being glitchy and difficult to navigate. The biggest issue seems to be with account freezes and holds, leaving customers unable to access their funds. Additionally, many report being charged hidden fees, such as ATM fees and monthly maintenance fees. It is clear that Netspend needs to address these issues to improve their customer satisfaction.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

NetSpend contacts