Maytag Quiet Series 200 Dishwasherpiece of junk!

This dishwasher is terrible. It's two years old and I've had nothing but problems with it after a few months. The biggest problem is that it rinses the dishes with soapy water and then the soap dries on the dishes.

I've had "technicians" out here but they say they can't help me because my water is hard. Baloney. I've done every "fix" they have told me to do, run it with only vinegar twice, use a product called Lemi Shine, etc. Still the problem. Today the technician told me it was the rinse agent, Cascade Crystal Clear, that was causing the soapy rinse water. So I should run the dishwasher enough times to get rid of all of it in the dispenser. We'll see... I hate this dishwasher. I've had dishwashers for decades, so I know what they should do, but these "technicians" talk to me like I've never owned one before and it's my fault!

Beware!

• Updated by Wp2008 · Jun 05, 2012

Hello SusannaNewHope. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your dishwasher. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (Complaintsboard), your user ID name (SusannaNewHope), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.

• Hi
    Hipgramma Jul 18, 2020

We bought a new model, and I loved it better than any dishwasher I have had in our 55 years of marriage... until it died one month after installation... an expensive one at that! contact with customer service has been very unpleasant and service techs are greatly delayed in date to come and repair. we are seniors, sheltering in place during covid, husband on hospice and we must have sanitized dishes. very very disappointing to see the lack of timeliness in repairing. now we hear that it is so new that no parts are available... really? can you please replace it... immediately?
    I read in consumer reports that maytag dishwashers were not reliable, but my sister had one and loved it, and I wanted to believe her... maybe that was a mistake?? and the features of this model were outstanding, and it was outstanding for one short month! sooo very sad... to add to the covid sadness and my husband's illness.
    Model mdb8959skz

Kat47 Mar 09, 2018

Wow, I am shocked to hear all the complaints about the Maytag Quiet 200 dishwasher. Mine is old and works so well. I have very hard water but have never had a problem. It is starting to run a little loud so have been looking at where I can get one exactly like it. I have never had a dishwasher that works so well! I love mine

• Ju
    Judy Wol Jul 02, 2017

has any had a problem with the cycle taking 3-4 hrs to complete ?

• Do
    Douglas Thayer Jul 04, 2016

I totally agree with the comments above. We bought Maytag products including the frig, stove, and dishwasher; and had nothing but trouble with all of them similar to what is already described. Went to look up how to fix the broken handle on the dishwasher and saw this. Also, we regret buying the SEARS front loader washing machine. Mold, slime, door issues, pump bad, bearings out, and oh that smell.

• Pa
    pat.s Nov 07, 2014

thanks all! will be stayin g away from mytag appliances from here on. i thought they were the best!

Mark459 Sep 28, 2014

Well I bought the Maytag Quiet Series 200 dishwasher at Leon's after looking at the Consumers Reports site. They gave it acceptable rating, so on July 29, 2007, I bit the bullet and spent $568.86. It worked fine for the first year. Then the handle broke. I was blaming my wife for forcing it. I probably should apologize to her about that since a lot of people have had this issue. I called to get a replacement . It would have cost over a $100 to get a new assembly. I thought since I can still open and close it, I would not repair it. On Sept 17, 2010 with had heater element repaired at no charge because of the issue with fires reported. A week ago it started making a huge amount of noise and my wife was complaining about how loud it was and how it was leaking onto the kitchen floor. Of course when I tried it, there was nothing out of the ordinary noise wise and it was not leaking on the floor??? Last night however I ran a load of dishes and went to bed as I usually do. Big mistake. I woke up this morning and went downstairs to put a load of laundry in. I stepped into a puddle of water on my way to the laundry machine. There was water sitting on the top of the washing machine and the ceiling tiles above it were dripping. It sits right below where the dishwasher sits upstairs. I wiped up the mess and went to the kitchen. Floor near dishwasher covered in water. Wiped it up. Took the float off and cleaned it and reinstalled it. Tried to start another cycle. The water started to pour out of dishwasher again. I guess its time to buy another dishwasher but I don't think it will be a Maytag this time.

• Ya
    Yang Tom Jun 12, 2014

I have a Maytag Quiet Series 200 dish washer . Today my wife try to open the door to access the dishes. Surprise to her that the handle is broken. Can't open the door at all ! How in the world can you order the parts to fix it if that door can't open? Yes dishes are full of grimes if you don't HAND wash it first. And I thought it was just my family's dishes needs that extra TLC before the dish goes in. Well I am going to pry the handle to open it or just trash it.

Mary Coil Apr 09, 2014

We have the 200 series dishwasher. Upon initial installation, the bottom does not completely drain. The water does not get hot, even with our water heater on full tilt, and with the high heat setting applied to the dishwasher. The only reason my dishes are hot when I open the door is the drying mechanism. I ran a large load the other day and it took damn near 2 hours to complete?!

Crap product. Going to buy a different make and model all together. Will not EVER deal with maytag dishwashers again.

• Fz
    FZ3 Mar 31, 2014

We have a Maytag Series 200 and have replaced the handle 3 times and now will not start. Before that, would have to clean the dishes before putting in the dishwasher! What a piece of JUNK! Never again Maytag.

• Ro
    rouzeki Dec 25, 2012

Just moved into a house with this POS dishwasher. Won't shut (can't run it if it doesn't shut) and the technicians come out and say there isn't a problem.

• Su
    SusannaNewHope Jun 01, 2012

I have the Maytag Quiet Series 200 and agree it's a piece of junk. We have been in our house less than year, and the kitchen was completely remodelled when we moved in, so the dishwasher can't be that old. It is very noisy, it takes forever to wash a load. It leaves grit stuck to the insides of the glasses. The control panel keeps breaking, and the door intermittently doesn't seal and it leaks all over the floor from time-to-time. The whole front door assembly is flimsy and mostly thin plastic. We just found out there's a recall on this model, because the heating element apparently causes fires. Our options are to wait a month for the repair guy to show up, or take their $150 rebate, but that money has to go toward a new Maytag. I'm thinking it's not worth the pain and suffering.

• Jj
    JJMS May 11, 2012

Yep my mother who is on a fixed income has had her Maytag 2 years and the control panel has died completely. First it had certain settings not work anymore, then she was down to one and now nothing. She will not be able to afford to fix it from what I am reading its not worth. Shame her old one was 30 years old and she saved for this one and bought it when the state had a energy rebate program out. What a piece of junk!

• Rd
    rdoesch Jan 03, 2012

Same problems as everyone else…mine lasted 2 years and lights started failing on control panel. Not sure if board or panel problem but after dissassembling back of door and checking board for problems…would not start. Got so frustrated that I wrote Jeff Fettig (CEO of Whirlpool) last week complaining of this problem and which should be recalled..haven’t heard yet but always went to the top to get some satisfaction and would advise others to do the same…maybe they will build a better dishwasher in the future…getting a Whirlpool replacement in a few weeks thru Lowes and hoping for a better outcome & more durability…why did they have to go to electronics ….the old turn dial worked fine & no problems!!!

• Kd
    Kdickson May 27, 2011

I agree 100%!
    Even tye Maytag repairman was useless.

• Hi
    hillyardtl Jan 14, 2011

Junk. We inherited Maytag appliances when we moved into our home. The appliances were 2 years old. Over the past 3 years w have had problem after problem. The dishwasher panel has been replaced. It has been repaired 2 times. The dishes are always wet after the 2 hour cycle with extra drying. The bottom of the utensil basket is destroyed and needs to be replaced. Pieces that hold plates and cups up are all breaking. The refrigerator has just stopped working 3 times. Next time, we are replacing it as well. They are all expensive stainless steel pieces of junk. My mom was here this past week and reminded me she still has her original appliances since 1980. Yep 30 years- and these will hopefully last 5 with yearly repairs! STAY AWAY.

• As
    ASweet Dec 06, 2010

We have a Maytage Quiet Series 100 and it is TERRIBLE. I have never had a dishwasher leave so much caked-on food on the dishes. I have to re-wash bowls and especially cups after each wash; it is such a WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Like above comments- there is a constant reoccurring thick line of grease and mashed up food along the door frame (which is totally disgusting) and the door handle has completely crapped out. It's so hard to open most guests can't do it and you have to ream on it with both hands just to get it open.

Honestly, this is the last appliance anyone should buy. It's very disappointing and incredibly aggravating!

• Lu
    lulu1234 Sep 10, 2010

Piece of junk. I wish they'd recall it so I didn't have to buy a new dishwasher.

It's noisy. I mean REALLY NOISY and it doesn't wash properly.

• Kt
    kt8 Aug 06, 2010

We own a Maytag Quiet 200 Series dishwasher. It is the WORST dishwasher we have ever owned, from day one. It is extremely loud, and the cycle runs for about 3 hours. I need to pre-wash every single dish and utensil we place in the machine, and somehow they STILL come out dirty. My mother stayed at our house to watch our children a few months ago and thought the dishwasher was broken because it performed so badly! I wish the machine would totally stop working so that my husband would agree to buy another dishwasher.

• Gw
    gw_ohio Apr 11, 2010

I thought I'd update about the burning smell and blown circuit. The repairman took the bottom panel off because he suspected something, and he was right. Where two wires had been twisted into a wirenut, they hadn't been twisted securely; over time, the arcing between the wires had begun melting the plastic around the wire. It was an installation issue from when we first had the unit installed. We're so thankful it didn't cause a fire. Our honest repairman only charged half the minimum service call. Our dishwasher's still going strong!

• Da
    David OK Apr 11, 2010

4.5 Years. Worked fine til now. Need Control panel. Anyone have thsi part used?

• Kl
    Klark Kent Mar 19, 2010

What are all you babies babbling about? I have had a Quiet series for 6 years now close to 7 and it is extremly quiet and runs flawlessly. I have had 2 other dishwashers in the past and NOTHING! has ever cleaned the dishes like this thing does! Pretty much spotless Although you MUST make sure the Drying detergant is Full at all time. if it gets down you get stuff on your dishes.

• Me
    Melrose Guy Feb 23, 2010

We've had the Maytag Quiet Series 300 (MDB7600AWW) since 2003. It's been OK, but it has had to be repaired 3 times. The first time, the door latch broke. Then something happened with the motor. And we had to get a new control panel. The latest thing happened in its 6th year--- the removable/foldable tines in the upper and lower racks rotted/rusted away and broke off. Replacement parts, by looking online, run $124. Or, when calling Maytag, they'll sell me a new upper and lower rack complete (no single spare parts) for $110 each, or $220. So should we suffer through a few more years until the whole thing up and dies, or pony up easily 1/3 of the cost of a new one? Hard to say... I think a dishwasher should last more than seven years, though, call me old-fashioned!

It doesn't clean properly all of the time, must be finnicky about how the dishes are loaded. Sometimes food crud accumulates in the front part of it.

• Gw
    gw_ohio Oct 26, 2009

I've had my Quiet Series 200 since 2003 and have never had problems with it until the last few months. Up until now, we've been very happy with it! Lately, we occasionally smelled something reminiscent of melted plastic, but just passed it off to be some random bit of plastic on the heating element. Last week, though, I smelled that odor and about a half hour later I heard a "foomp!" and the machine shut down. It had tripped the circuit breaker. We haven't pulled the unit out yet to see what it might be. Someone's offered us a new GE entry-level dishwasher he got for his job (a lab) and it's only been used a few times, but we're still going to inspect the Maytag and see if there's an obvious problem with a simple fix. It's been a real workhorse for us!

• Jc
    jcburr Sep 20, 2009

A piece of crap -
    And, Sears is so flakey these days (especially where I live) - it is a crap shoot whether or not they will help you. We live on a remote ranch. We ordered a pressure tank from Sears; when it went bad, they sent a very good repairman who pronounced it DEAD (after only a few months use in 2001) and promptly sent a replacement. When I ordered two very large window air-conditioners, both came via UPS; when one broke right away - they were good about getting a replacement and arranging my return. When I bought a washing machine - couldn't get delivery at all (had to drive the 200 miles to get it). When I ordered this Maytag quiet (JOKE), no delivery; had to drive 200 miles to get it... and the damned thing is a piece of junk. I have been trying to get my mental strength up and well enough to hastle with them as to sending a technician. I already know in my heart that the (well) water too hard; water pressure too low; sky is too blue, etc. excuses are going to be the first brick wall I hit.

I was raised to believe in Sears and ESPECIALLY Maytag quality. I honestly never thought the American ideal of high quality and "made in America" would ever fail us all so miserably.

C B

• Wh
    Whirfools Aug 10, 2009

MAYTAG?JENN-AIR, both made by the same corporation, both garbage. If you fail to listen to the comments posted then good luck.You will be disappointed, I guarantee it, thats a better guarantee than maytag will give you.

madascanbe Jun 27, 2009

I bought a Maytag QuietSeries 200 a couple of months ago. That's all the longer it took to break. Water fills in and then it makes a horrible noise and shuts off. I have looked at it thoroughly and cannot find anything. So like many others, I am using it for a dishrack until it gets fixed. Although depending on the cost and after reading all of these reviews, we may just skip it altogether. Maytag WAS a good brand but like most things now, the brand is just a name, nothing more. Piece of crap.

• Rl
    rlrrg Jun 26, 2009

OK, I've been defending my Maytag for a while now, my older roll-around model did so well that I couldn't see this one for what it is: a piece of crap. The first year we had it it would intermittently drain all over our new wood floor instead of down the drain. that problem somehow went away. Now the food ### problem has been getting worse and worse. I have taken the thing apart every six months to clean it out, but even that is not working anymore. All of the dishes are coming out crustier than they went in, I am pissed. I am so sad.

• Qu
    QuietSeries 300 Apr 17, 2009

I also have a QuietSeries 300 that I purchased about 2 years ago. I am a single guy, a contractor and the only reason I purchased and installed the supposedly Hi-end dishwasher, at a goodly amount of hard-earned money, was to appease my kids when they come over for Easter, Christmas dinners or the like. From the beginning, I had problems with it washing properly, but I thought it was because I was doing something wrong. I used to end up taking the effing dishes out and do them by hand, which I always used to do anyway. I have used the appliance eleven times and the other day it started flashing at me and continued until I shut the power off and then back on. I thought I had it licked, but Easter dinner came along and we loaded the beast up and absolutely nothing happened. Took the dishes out, washed them by hand and called Reliable Appliance Parts, where I have friends. They mentioned that I will probably need a board and something else, to the tune of a couple of hundred dollars. Like what the hell is there out there to protect us from this crap that we are buying ? This is Hi-end stuff ?????
    Of course, it is out of warranty, in fact, it was probably out of warranty by the time I had done my second or third load. I agree, what crap, but we allow them to get away with it. Maytag repairman, what a [email protected]&$*& joke !!!
    However, I killed myself laughing when the one guy said that his machine was not a dishwasher, but the portal to hell and was going to drive a wooden stake into it's heart, but feared evil retaliation on his family. What can we [email protected]

• Sh
    Sher Apr 12, 2009

I bought Maytag dishwasher in 2007. The control panel went out 1 yr 3 months later, replaced it for $200. On April 11, 2009 the control panel went out again. Maytag should not be allowed to sell another product-------EVER.

• Me
    MeGotProblem2 Mar 30, 2009

Maytag QuietSeries 200. TOTAL crap. Door latch problem 3 or 4 times so far. So many "in warranty" repairs from the extended warranty that they said we'd used up too much value of repairs and we would get no more. Spotty glasses and tons of food left on the dishes.

Like the others here, we will NEVER purchase Maytag or Whirlpool products again. We've got the $1, 000 each duet front loaders in the laundry room, and this POS Maytag QuietSeries 200 in the kitchen.

Matt Smoogie Mar 10, 2009

I JUST GOT THIS ###IN PIECE OF STINKY DOGTURD TODAY AND IM ABOUT TO TOSS THE ###ER OUT THE FRICKIN WINDOW AND ONTO MY LANDLORDS HEAD! IVE NEVER SEEN SUCH GARBAGE IN ALL MY MISERABLE LIFE AND I HATE DISHWASHERS THEY SUCK MY ###!!! !^@&%# RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Ni
    ninipanini Mar 09, 2009

Wow, I wish I had seen these before I bought mine. This is the noisiest dishwasher I've ever heard. The latch broke, twice. The dishes are dirty, there is ### in the bottom after every wash. We've replaced parts, did the vinegar trick even bought new filters for it. We also quit using "too much" soap. And yet, the dishes are dirtier than ever. I have quit using it, I am now in the habit of washing my dishes by hand.

• Om
    omnimomm Feb 25, 2009

Same here, just looking online to see if there was a recall and found this site. Maytag 200 has been making my family sick with the dirty, soapy dishes not washed right, along with the scummy and rusty at two years old interior!

Jamie Feb 11, 2009

My 300 is less than a year old and I have hated it from day one. We bought it because of its high rating in Consumer Reports. I am frightened because right now it is making some crazy noises and I am fearing the worse. I really hope its not going to break!

Katie Feb 02, 2009

Oh yeah... another consideration to look at is whether it was properly installed...

and soap... are you using a dry powder or a liquid soap? Try liquid. It works much better! ;)

Katie Feb 02, 2009

I thought I should add, in case it's related, and I think it may be:

I always wash my dishes on this setting: Heavy wash, tough scrub, sanitize, extra rinse, no heat dry. I would suggest every one do the same. The heat dry is almost never necessary, and why wouldn't want your dishes to get as clean AS POSSIBLE, right? ;)

I think I may have saved us some damage to the control panel, after reading in the owner's manual about the steam escaping and all that.

I also suggest that you read your owner's manual. It can be viewed online at: http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0520740.pdf

It tells how each setting does x-amount of washes & x-amount of rinses. This is real handy to know! I haven't had one all this time, because we had the floor model.

We usually just lightly rinse dishes and stack them on the counter until we're ready to start the d/w. This can be all day, or even 3 days!! If things are really crazy stuck on then it only makes sense that we scrub it a lil bit. ;)

I also wonder if lots of d/w's are in such condition due to prior tenants/ or people that just don't take care of things. ??

Most of the complaints mentioned on these pages are valid. Don't get me wrong, but I'm speaking of the part about the dishes getting clean. We're supposed to position the dishes toward the center, which most people that I've watched, have not done this at all.

I hope this helps...

Katie Feb 02, 2009

Oh wow!! I am at Sears.com ordering a roller for the drawer. I guess I should order a door handle too!! It seems to be on it's way out of order!!

Ours is 4 yrs. old, and it has been working fairly good... It is pretty noisy. I'm glad it's not just me...
    Ours did seem to be leaving alot of junk behind before... but then I got wise and started using a rinse aid (Jet Dry). Now I'm using Cascade tabs only (which have the rinse aid), and still getting good results.
    But I have to say: I've been to alot of people's houses, and they to mine, and I've seen the way people load their D/W. They load it in such a way, that the water can't even get to the dishes!! They stack stuff on top of stuff! So keep that in mind... maybe some of these people are making that mistake... ??

However... I'm glad to know I should just junk this thing when anything expensive begins to go out... Thanks to you all.

• Ro
    RobertinPA Dec 18, 2008

I had the same problem with my Quiet Series 300, a whilte film over everything. I tried vinagar, some commerical strength lime remover, but still no good. I went to Home Depot and talked to the HomeDepot reps standing around their Maytags. They acted as though I was a total slob and must not be cleaning off the excess food from the plates before running the wash cycle. I asked them about the hard water issue and they said that they had not heard of that as a problem. When I told them that I was thinking about adding the pellets used to soften water they acted as though they thought that that was a bad idea. So I brought a bag of the water softening pellets and for the next 5 washes I put 5-10 'rocks' in. They dissolve in the wash. Well, this has worked for me. I nolonger have a white film on every dish and peice of silverware. i havent put any pellets in the wash in a couple of weeks.

• Jl
    jlo2bergen Dec 06, 2008

We moved into our home 3 years ago and the QS 200 came with the house. I was very excited to have a dishwasher for the first time and when we turned it on my husband and I looked at each other and said "is it supposed to sound like it's eating the dishes?" The handle broke a few months ago and now the past few days there is now water in the bottom that is not draining. It's filthy on the inside and have many times had to rewash dishes that did not come clean. I hope Santa brings me a new one!!!

• Jp
    JP White Nov 30, 2008

We have had a Quietseries 200 for several years now. My fault list is similar to everyone elses.

Door handle has broken 4 times, first time repaired under warranty, since then I have repaired the handle issue myself using parts bought on the internet. Unfortuantly the control panel needs replacing every other door handle incident, it has very flimsy tabs that hold the handle steady, they break off requiring a new control panel.

It is true they have redesigned the door handle, guess what the new design breaks just as often, just in a different place!!

I keep 'spare parts' i.e. control panel and handle/latch assembly in the garage waiting for the next time it fails. We were without a dishwasher for 2 weeks the first time. I learned to keep parts on hand and can fix it inside 30 minutes then immediately order new parts. I could make a good living as a Maytag repairman, I have plenty of experience. I just got new parts in 2 weeks ago, they were tough to find. Maytag no longer seems to sell them from their website and the aftermarket seems to be drying up. I';ll be forced to repalce it when I can't get any more parts.

Had I known 3 years ago what I know now I would have replaced the POS rather than spend so much on spare parts.

I too get the problem with grot that accumulates under the door. Clearly a design fault.

I have to set the thing on heavy wash/extra rinse to ensure the dishes actually clean. I find running it on a several really light loads improves washing performance for a month or two. It probably gets clogged somewhere.

I too get baked on crud on the underside or sides of glassware. The reason is clear if you open the washer during a cycle. The water in the bottom is full of dirty food that it simply redeposits on the dishes. Didn't the designer think to filter out food debris and recycle the water during a wash cycle?

Worst home appliance I have ever owned.

Next time I will spend the money on a Bosch, they are truly quiet and engineered to last (and work).

JP