Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Bo
    bobby allington Oct 14, 2007

Same cr*p here in Texas.....my fridge is doing the exact same thing as of this morning. Well all have been screwed!

maytag displeasure Oct 10, 2007

Well, here go's, bought this product from home depot, was woke up at 3:30am to a banging sound coming from the kitchen. Upon entering the kitchen, noticed all types of flashing lights coming from the 18 month old refrig. Read all info from the user's manual with no avail. Searched the internet finding this gem with so variable info. Read all info, called the 800 # and having A & E to arrive tomorrow on magtags ticket using the above info supplied by prior users. Thanks all, I'll let you know further about the fix!

• Li
    Linda bohl Oct 09, 2007

Here's our story. Same problems with the ice maker, except...woke up yesterday morning with a floor covered in water! We have the A&E extended warranty thru Home Depot, but they suck! First call was in August when our ice maker quit making ice. The repair guy never showed for the first appt. Had to wait 2 weeks for another appt. When he finally showed up, the ice maker that hadn't worked for a month dropped a sleeve of ice and mr. repairman said everything was great. Three weeks later (yesterday) something gave way (won't know until Mr. Maytag makes an appearance) and now we've got our Insurance company involved with a rather large claim! I'm sure they'll be getting in touch with Maytag to foot the bill. But, we're still stuck with the unfaithful refrigerator, an unusable kitchen and an insurance deductible to pay. Thanks a lot Maytag!!

• Br
    Brian Oct 04, 2007

Same thing here. Warranty just expired 5 days ago, and the control panel came alive and the chute flapoper opened and closesd continously. Calling Maytag now, states they would cover cost of part, but not labor. Arguing with them right now. This is the 2nd service call since I bought the unit. the first to replace the ice making component that failed in only 3 months. I just spent the 200 to get the 3 year coverage for this expensive peice of junk.

• Ji
    Jim Compton Oct 03, 2007

Purchased the MFI2568AEQ in March 2007 and it is 5 months out of warranty. Same problem of lights flashing and Ice door flapping. This happened Sunday night and had a repair service out Monday afternoon. Of course he did not have the Main Control Board on his truck. Cost me $60.00 for a service call and will cost me $256 this afternoon (Tuesday) to have the part installed. The service guy said he has fixed a lot of Maytags with the same problem. I just found this site and find that I am not alone. I just got off the phone with Maytag and they said to have it fixed and to fax them the repair bill. They will not reimburse me for the cost however they will give me a full year extended warranty. At least if the compressor goes out because of this problem I will be covered. My luck it will go out 368 days from today. Next time the board fails I will know how to fix it at a cheaper price.

FRANK DIJOSEPH Oct 01, 2007

UPDATE, CALLED MAYTAG ON SATURDAY A&E CAME OUT TODAY(MONDAY) WITH A NEW CURCUIT BOARD AND IT'S ALL FIXED NOW. IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM JUST TAKE OFF THE COVER PLATE ON THE TOP LEFT HINGE AND DISCONNECT THE PLUG BY PULLING IT APART. THIS WILL KEEP YOUR FRIG WORKING TILL A REPAIR CAN BE MADE. MAYTAG DID GOOD FOR ME, THANK YOU MAYTAG.

• To
    Tom Jr Sep 30, 2007

Well heres and update on my Fridge which has been broken since 07/20/07. Lowes agreed to buy it back as they have been unable to get the required board in a timely manner to make the fridge run properly. Lowes refunded me the purchase price plus sales tax. Today I purchased another fridge and they hauled away my old shiny Maytag piece of crap. Lowes told me I could keep it because they didn't want it. Whats that telling you?

Anyway I purchased a Samsung so I hope I have a better experience. To everyone else don't give up until you get results. I was lucky enough that after several calls and emails I got someone who actually cared. I still filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney Generals Office with the hopes Maytag issues a recall on that fridge. Good luck.

FRANK DIJOSEPH Sep 30, 2007

Same problem here, lights blinking, flap in ice maker flapping constantly, glad I purchased the extended warranty.

• Ge
    George Robidowitz Sep 27, 2007

I took out the control board in the door and touched all the electrical prongs and wiped it down with a dry rag and reinstalled it. IT NOW WORKS!

• Ke
    Keith Malick Sep 27, 2007

Why is it that the failure seems to have always taken place at night? Add me to the crowd of early A.M. part failure. But, thanks to all of you and the complaints filed, my experience with Maytag was almost pleasant. I didn't use the standard customer service number [protected]), but one that I'd found on the net [protected]) touting "cut through the call tree and talk directly to a person", which didn't work, but it did get me talking to a friendly rep very quickly. Within five minutes, she had me scheduled for the next day (with A&E) to have the HVC board replaced at their expense. No hassle, no threatening needed, and no attitude. Just have the model # and serial # available when you call.

My thanks to all of you who suffered with this problem during the early stages of failures. Your complaints didn't fall on deaf ears at Maytag after all- they seem to have cleaned up their act.

• Mi
    Mike Laughlin Sep 26, 2007

Add us to the list... What an expensive pile of junk.

JC Walker Sep 25, 2007

Just another heads up. I did not unplug the fridge. I just removed the front face plate with ease and unpluged the board from the fridge and it stopped the flashing. The fridge continued to run but not nearly as cold. It was enough however to keep everything for the 4 days my fridge was down.

All you need to do to remove the front face plate is remove the drip tray and you see two bolt s 1/4 size. Pop off the plate and unplug the far left wires from the board and pop the plate back on. Like I said it wont solve the problem forever but will it keep you food for a number of days. In the freezer everything stayed frozen. The ice cream was really the only thing that didn't do as well. It was pretty soft!

james ashe Sep 24, 2007

Dang, guess what. Wife calls ( I am away on business) and says the lights are blinking and the flapper is flapping like crazy. She did get a repairman to come out tomorrow morning. Ours is about 2 years old, but like most of you $2400 for this? Told the wife to unplug it for a few hours to stop the infiltration of moisture through the door. I do have a refrigerator in the garage, just got to move the beer aside to put food in. Sounds like Maytag needs to pony up on this POS.

• Sm
    S Miller Sep 24, 2007

Same issue here. The crazy flapper, and no cooling of the refrigerator. Repairman that Maytag uses in our area can come out in three days. As I type, mI am on hold with Maytag. Supposedly, they are calling the repairman directly to authorize the repairs free of charge. My 20 year old refrigerator( which the Maytag I2O replaced) was moved to the basement and is still running. We keep extra soda and other things in it until today. Now all the " salvage food" is in the old frig. The Maytag is a POS. Need I say more?

JC Walker Sep 24, 2007

OK an update from earlier. The service man showed up with the board that I needed. He said the problem is so common that hey just carry the parts with them now. I feel lucky to have it up in running already. I too made a coment to Maytag about this complaint board and they took no time to get authorization to the serivice company to take care of everything. I hope this helps someone!

Christy Odom Sep 24, 2007

Same Problem on fridge purchased in June of '06. We are now on the 5th day of no refrigerator. Still waiting on the repairman to show. That is if the service center can locate 1 that will honor the 4 year extended warranty we bought(a lot of good it is)! I was finally contacted today by a service tech only to be asked who is paying for the call. So here I start all over again. Guess it's back to the store for 4 more bags of ice to get through the night!

JC Walker Sep 24, 2007

Had the same problem as all of you. Caled Maytag to tell them and they said I would have to pay for at least the parts. Service person is coming today and is now athorized to take of everything parts and labor.
    I also mentioned the number of complaints online and they changed their tune in a hurry.
    I also agree that this is a short term answer and we'll all be in the same boat down the road.

Sanjay Hirani Sep 23, 2007

Follow up to my last weeks post, maytag fixed the fridge (flapper problem) on Friday. My wife called the maytag customer service on Monday (9/17) and the lady authorized the repair without any problem (we are 3 months out of warranty). Since the repair was done by Maytag has anyone got their warranty extended for this problem??

• Va
    vargas Sep 21, 2007

I am going through the same problems as all of you. My ice-maker went out first then I got a replacement then everything else went down the hill from there. I need a new ice maker again, they replaced a circuit board and a mother board and now, I am waiting on a new fan. I can't wait for all this to be over, my blood pressure wen't up because of all this. I have 4 kids and have had no sympathy from them. I am going to check for any lawsuits.

Jay Williams Sep 20, 2007

Add me to your club. 16month old Ice20 and 48 hours of flapper opening and closing. Everything in refrigerator is spoiled. We've already had 2 service calls to repair ice maker. We're out of warranty and this little repair is costing us about $350 for 2 service calls and the new board. It's amazing to me that Maytag would put something on the market with so many obvious flaws.

Joe Sep 19, 2007

Ditto! Very eerie. At night and 15 months old, my fridge is flapping open and closed = just like a 15 month old kid in his diaper. In the end it's all the same - crap.

joe demartino Sep 18, 2007

I had this same problem two months ago. This is what I did:

1. I disabled the flapper by unscrewing a screw at the top of the left door hinge and then disconnected the plug that provides power to the door. This is allowed my frig to continue working (except for the water/ice) but stopped the flapper from flapping.
    2. I purchased the bad board from Maytag which I installed when I received it in 2 days. Then I reconnected the wires that I had previously disconnected. The new board needed to be programmed with info I found under the front right side of the frig on some 8.5x11 instructions which were easily removed.
    3. I repaired the old board using info from a contributor on this site and reinstalled it in the frig.
    4. I now have a programmed new board from Maytag that I would be happy to send to anyone so they can fix their frig without programming anything. It takes about 10 minutes to install.
    5. After several complaints to their customer service number, I received a full refund for the cost of the new board. They didn't want it back because they said they cannot accept electronic part returns.

I now have a new board, at no cost, that i would be glad to give to anyone who does not have the ability to repair their existing board. I will ask that you send me your existing board so I can repair it and give it to someone else. This way, there is always a board available (that is already programmed) for anyone to use. My number is [protected] if anyone is interested in speaking. I have already helped one person who was able to repair their existing board themselves.

We don't need Maytag to help us. We can help each other with less frustration. And ... the frig will be working again more quickly.

• Db
    d burton Sep 17, 2007

I have just joined the club. My ice machine is also making sounds and the panel is flashing like a madman (woman)..... I hope that there is a class action suit. I have had problems with the ice dispenser and freezer. ( reparied twice). I was supprised by the same complains. Glad I found this post. It is only 9 months old. If anyone has any names in upper managemen, for the letter, let me know. Customer service will only try to shove me off. ( past experience.)

Sanjay Hirani Sep 16, 2007

Same issue as the other board members last night the fridge got posesed flashing lights, flapping noise, the fridge is 3 months out of warranty. The freezer seems to work fine but the refrigerator has stopped working, is this what evryone has experienced?? Will call Maytag tomorrow to see if i am succesfull in getting them to repair the fridge labor + parts, like some of the other people have had success.

• Li
    Linda Ferree Sep 13, 2007

We got this refrigerator (MFI2568AEB) in June 2006. After a few days the icemaker quit working. We had it replaced. Then July 2007 ( lucky we have 3 year extended warranty) we had the flapping noise and the flashing lights and then refirigerator wouldn't cool anymore and lost a bunch of food! Our dealer put in a high voltage board and that took care of the problem. Now 2 months later we have no ice. Service was out today and the ice is frozen in the back part where the cubes form. So now we wait 7-10 days for a totally new icemaker. We are so angry over spending $2300 that we asked for a different refrigerator. Dealer states they can't do it without Maytag's approval. So I have been on the phone today with Maytag and getting no where fast. Maytag claims it isn't a lemon until we have 3 calls for the same thing under the 3 year extended warranty. They won't include the call we had under the 1 year warranty.
    We are half sick over this. We gave our really old refrigerator to our next door neighbor and it is still running like a champ. Go figure!
    I believe it is the design that is wrong not just that we got a lemon. I want something new and different for my $2300! This is ridiculous.

• Gk
    g koskin Sep 13, 2007

To follow on my post from above.....

After posting yesterday, I decided to phone Maytag directly before A& E Appliances came to replace the board. Told them the internet is swimming with the same problem and Asked for my complaint to be formly logged so that they can get intouch with me when they do a recall. Before I could go any further the nice lady on the other end gave me a reference number to give to technician when he arrives.

Fair enough the guy turned up this morning. Job took all of 5 minutes and I didn't have to pay a penny. Even before he knew I had a ref. number he asked me to phone Maytag so I wouldn't be charged.

Everything was so simple I think maytag is acknowledging the problem. I'm so happy I looked at the internet, before paying an independent repair company, which is what I would have done if I hadn't have found you guys!

Wish everyone luck - still, could have done without the hasstle though!

• Gk
    g koskin Sep 12, 2007

I've suffered 3 days so far (and counting) of lights and flapping. So sign me up as a member of your club.....It would be nice to know how many members strong we are!!!!

A not so proud owner of an 18month old ice20.

I'm in the middle of compossing my letter to maytag in the hope of acknowlegement.... Any one got names of the higher beings that be,at maytag. As I would like to be on first name terms with the people who I'm about to embark on a beautiful relationship, which from the sounds of some of the coments on here will rather long and arduous. Or maybe, just maybe short and sweet.

Wish me luck and I'll let you all know, if ever, I get a reply!!!

"Whow! this is page 6 of the same problem" - Stand strong my friends and united we'll fight.

• Ty
    Tyson Manwarren Sep 11, 2007

I think that Maytag has programmed their appliances to take over the world at a specific time. Same problem here – awoke this morning to the flapping and flashing! I am in the process of writing a snail mail letter to Maytag, providing customer quotes from various websites. I hope that Maytag will not ignore this letter and will take appropriate action.

• Ro
    Roger Sep 09, 2007

This is getting to be one huge club. I too, have had the flapper running constantly and the lights blinking on the control panel.
    Here's a little tip that might help anyone in the future with some electrical know how:

The above website will give you very simple instructions and pictures for replacing two capicators on the HV board. This will most likely fix your problem too. The cost: about 5 to 20 bucks and little time. I hope the information is helpful.

• To
    Tom Jr Sep 08, 2007

Well ad me to the list. No need to go into what I've been going through. You all have been or are going through it already. Fridge broke on 07/20/07 and still waiting for the part which is on backorder. Bought my fridge new from Lowes in South Florida on 03/06 and purchased extended warranty. Maytag & Lowes absolutely have the worst customer service ever and I will never purchase any appliance through them again. From the many phone calls and emails to both its amazing how this is the first time they have heard of this issue with the ICE2O!!! Long story short don't buy this fridge its a piece of crap, save yourself the headache.

• Ta
    Tammy Sep 05, 2007

I am having the same problem, lights flashing, ice maker flapping and stopped cooling. I called yesterday to "Maytag extended warranty" and the company they are sending out didn't even know about the problem because they are a "whirlpool shop", but to their credit they are trying very hard to get the part and get it fixed. I now have no fridge and bought this in may/april 06. I wish I wouldn't have updated my kitchen because my other fridge worked fine for 13 years!

Beans Sep 04, 2007

I forgot to mention on thing... Our ICE20 icemaker was also making large blocks of ice that it couldn't break up and it was getting jammed. The local repair shop tuned the icemaker to put less water in the tray. That seems to have resolved that problem.

There is a little set screw behind the ice maker cover. Turning it only a quarter of a turn fixed the problem. Don't turn it more than a quarter turn or you might not get any water in the ice tray at all. Test each quarter turn for a day or two before changing it any more. (There are +/- markers around the screw. Just turn it towards the '-'.)

Beans Sep 04, 2007

No need to repeat the details... We had the same blinking issue... Fridge 3 months out of warranty. Started at 3:30 am and woke the whole family up.

I read the appliance guru page (http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815) and bought the parts at Radio Shack...

But then I noticed that a few posters had luck getting Maytag to replace to part and cover the labor even out of warranty. (Fred / Kathy) I figured getting a whole new board would be better just in case there were other improvements.

So I called Maytag and literally within 5 minutes they had faxed authorization to a local repair shop to fix the fridge. (Parts and labor included.) Maybe I got lucky. (Here are the details of what I said: I mentioned that I read online that Maytag was replacing the board even when the Fridge was out of warranty. The tech put me on hold and checked with the supervisor and she said they would cover it. They looked up a local repair shop for me and sent the authorization.)

The good news is that we have an excellent local repair shop. They ordered the part overnight and replaced it the next business day.

They used Part # [protected] (BOARD HV C). Also I noticed that Maytag used a different brand of capacitors on the entire board. (Not just on the two that have been going bad.)

Now I just hope we don’t have the ice maker go out like so many others have had happen to them.

Good luck all !

• Am
    Amy Lipinski Sep 03, 2007

Hello all!! Same thing here! Worked last night then today no water, no ice and now of course the frig is flapping and blinking like crazy. Saw a previous post on how to turn off the front panel and did it, so no more flapping! Yeah! I will be calling Maytag tomorrow. I have already sent them an email. I am fed up with purchasing items and then oh about 1 year later there are issues with them. I purchased this frig along with 2 other Maytag appliances for our new house and told everyone how much I loved it. Well, now I am singing a different tune. I have already posted a negative review at Bizrate.com and will post on any other website that asks for consumer opinions. Good luck to all in dealing with your frig and Maytag!

Bertha Ramirez Sep 03, 2007

I bought my Maytag Ice2o French Door Refrigerator from Lowes 14mos ago. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. This is a 3day weekend and it was 105F were i live. And my husband had surgery on Friday. I had to make multiple trips to the store just to get drinks and ice because my refrigerator isn't working properly. I had to unplug the refrigerator because of the loud noise wouldn't let my husband rest. I was not able to get a hold of anybody @ maytag. I have three kids and it has been hard not having a refrigerator, because they are always thirsty and with the hot weather it makes it worse. I did send them an e-mail and it says that somebody will contact me in 3 business days. i didn't get the extended warranty.

• Sh
    Sharon Loncosky Sep 02, 2007

I can't believe what I have just read!!! We were woken up to the noise and sure enough we have the flashing lights and flapping noise on the control panel. Our Ice 2O is just17 mos old. Maytag products are a piece of crap!!! Never will I buy one of their products again. Thank you for all the suggestions. I will call the 800 number after the Labor Day holiday. So now it has been 24 hours and now our food is starting to spoil also!!! Service man from Maytag will be out on Tuesday....they did mention there is a recall notice on the control panel so hopefully all expenses will be covered. Thanks so much for the info!!

Christin Henriques Sep 02, 2007

oh my model # is MFI2568AEQ Thank you Christin

Christin Henriques Sep 02, 2007

Oh MY HECK!!!! Well around 5:30 my water dispenser stopped working and the ice. My husband left for work said can't look at it now he left and guess what it starts flapping!!!! Then the alarm went off. I have 4 kids!!!! I am not happy!!! How could they not want to fix this or recall it!!! Please e-mail if any of you hear anything. Thank you!!!

• Su
    Sulli Aug 31, 2007

Called Maytag again with serial & model numbers. They insisted there is no recall on the circuit board but I did slip in a couple of mentions about the potential class action suit. I was put on hold while the rep conferred with her supervisor about what could be done to resolve the issue. They are sending A&E out next Friday to replace the board at no charge to me. Additionally, I was told emphatically, that if there was any issue with the repair service to contact them at their 800# to get it resolved before the service person leaves the premises. I also had the rep add to the service call that the ice maker was no longer producing any ice and was told that that issue would also be handled when A&E comes out next Friday. So I get to live with a week of flashing, flapping and beeping (and no ice). Will update after the service call. Sanity hint for those of who waiting for repair: clip a small cloth to the rubber rim of the ice shute and let it hang through the ice exit door. It will deaden that constant flapping noise. I used a small binder clip to hold the cloth in place, otherwise it just kept falling out from the continual movement of the ice flap.

Frank Gervase Aug 31, 2007

I'm too tired to type so I'll just cut-n-paste as it seems everyone has the same problem...

I am having the exact same problems with my 18 month old ice2o. No ice, no water, the lights are all blinking, and the clacking noise is so loud that you can hear it throughout the house. This is not the first time we've had problems with this fridge. First the door alarm wouldn't work, then it worked too much, then it seemed to fix itself as we were waiting a couple of weeks for someone to come look at it. I'm starting to think that mine is not a lemon, maybe they are badly engineered pieces of very expensive junk.