Having problems with JustAnswer?

JustAnswer reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 26, 2008. The latest review All was posted on Jun 15, 2021. The latest complaint I did not want a membership and I repeatedly text to stop but now I see my credit card has been charged 49.00 plus the 5.00 fee........ was resolved on May 02, 2021. JustAnswer has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 778 reviews. JustAnswer has resolved 435 complaints.

JustAnswer Customer Service Contacts

P.O. Box 29045
San Francisco, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with JustAnswer Customer Service. Initial JustAnswer complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for JustAnswer above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about JustAnswer. Discuss the issues you have had with JustAnswer and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

JustAnswer Complaints & Reviews

Just Answercant get refund

I had $23.00 deducted from my Visa for an answer on how to replace a radio aerial on my 1994 toyota hilux. Prior to getting an answer but after $23.00 was deducted from my Visa card my neighbour solved my problem. I immediately advised Just Answer that the problem was fixed.I received a reply saying thats good. Since 1st December 2009 when this episode took place I have sent no less than forty emails requesting a refund, all have fallen on deaf ears. This mob has got to be a real rip off they don't give an address or phone number.
Can you help?
Stuart Beilby Brisbane Australia PH 07 [protected].

• Pe
      Peter muscat Oct 05, 2014

I did not get the answer and I want a refund please.My criet card is visa [protected].I I Peter muscat.My Emile adress is [email protected] Can you send me a Emile message back to me thank you.

JustAnswerovercharged us unauthorized additional charges

We used their services online on December 3rd, 2017. They answer a question you have and if you are satisfied with the response, you authorize them to charge your credit card a $14 fee. We needed information on our dryer heating element, which they did respond to in a timely manner. We were satisfied with the response and did authorize the charge of $14. When we looked at our bank statement, JustAnswer had actually charged us the $14 fee, five different times, thus causing overdraft fees etc. We are still waiting for them to remove 2 of the charges. Because they are endorsed by the Better Business Bureau, we assumed all would be well. Apparently, we should have researched a little more because now we have seen that they have received many complaints about this same issue. Many people have been overcharged by them and have had a difficult time getting there money back. There is no customer service contact Tel# so you can speak to someone live and so we hope that they (whoever they are?) will respond to us via email quickly.

RESOLVED

• JustAnswer's response · Aug 09, 2010

Dear Cheryl,

You may reach us anytime through the Contact Us link on our Help page. Our Customer Support team is available 24/7 to help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. We’re here to help and we’ll work with you until you’re satisfied.

- Adam

• JustAnswer's response · Sep 13, 2010

Dear kobusco,

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. I’m Adam and I work for JA. I have sent you a private message so I can take care of your refund immediately. It sounds like you may have opted into a subscriptiojn to the site. We can cancel that for you if you are not able to cancel for yourself.

- Adam

• JustAnswer's response · Oct 22, 2012

Hello,

My name is Adam and I am the Customer Support Coordinator for JA. I am terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please contact me at [email protected] so that we can get this resolved for you.

Regards,

Adam
        Customer Support Coordinator, JA

• Ss
        ssshhhhhhh Oct 10, 2012

Hi, they are scam I asked 1question on 10/10/12 after reading reviews stupidly after I had submitted my question I then called customer service 4 times twice two ladys hungup one lady that I spoke to I asked her about complaints & abot money taken without permission & she said ' yes we will get more money out' and then hungup. This is a very nasty company. I'm just praying that I get my money back & thats the end of that. & once a guy who seemed like he was doing his job properly said that he has closed all of my account & that I should have my money back in 3 - 5 working days so wednesday 17th hopefully in my account & then i'll get my bank to block them from taking my money, it really scares me after reading other reviews I just want my money back & them to hopefully not takeing my money. I'll keep you posted if I get my money back.

• Ju
        Julie_D Jan 11, 2012

I contacted this website when my female husky drank delsym, because they said they had "real" vets with "real" answers..
        We asked them what to do blah blah blah and they told us common sence stuff (It was 9pm on a saturday and we have no vets open here on weekends) so we did not accept their answer. Next day, I had a charge from their site.. Fine, what ever... 1 month later, there it is again.. I called to ask why there was another charge, and they told me that I signed up for monthly info! I most certainly did not! That the rude man on the phone proceeded to tell me that if I wasn't expecting to be billed I never should have asked the question and when I referenced their section on no payment for not accepting the answer, he laughed! The only thing "real" about this site, is that it's a "real" scam!
        He's refunding me my money, cancelling my "subscription" and I told him that if I see any thing else from them I am charging them with fraud, laughed and hung up on him. The nerve!

• Ko
        kobusco Sep 08, 2010

I contacted juastanswer due to a problem with transferring my emails from a notebook to a desktop computer. The answer worked satisfactory. And i approved payment $30 from my credit card.
        Nowhere was there an indication that i was subscribing to a service or that i would be continuously be paying until doomsday
        T h i s i s n o w what is happening every month. To question the situation at their web address i again have to make a payment.
        I am a 63 year old man with no pension. I do not like to make such payments till i die.
        If required i can foreward extracts from my creditcard account
        [email protected] Co. Za

cheryl russell Aug 06, 2010

I recently used this website to access medical advise and was chargedfor this service, which Was part of using the site.This week they sent me an email asking me to answer a quick survey about the service I received. When I replied and sent back their survey, they then accessed my bank ac again and took another $23 for answering their survey. What a scam!!! I have emailed them but don't think I'll receive an answer.It is sad to think that a service that has medical Practitioners working for them would do this. I always thought that doctors were ethical people but I have been proven wrong. So Sad

Charles Noland Dec 01, 2009

I had called requesting information to repair my DVD on the Panasonic TV. I was asked how much I would pay for the answer. I agreed with $28. There statement was that I would only be billed when I was satisified with their answer. I agreed, however, no one came on line to tell me anything. I waited for over one and a half hours for contact. I received none. On this months credit card billing, I see where they charged me with $28. So in reality, I got nothing for $28. I think that they should send in a negative charge for $28 to the credit card company. I have been unable to contact them by phone or email. I solicit your help please. Thank You.

JustAnswer.com — unprofessional

Do not use this service. You will be instructed to deposit the amount that you are willing to pay for the...

JustAnswer.comnon - specific advise, vague pricing

On 10/23/09, I asked for help with a malfunctioning cordless mouse on JustAnswer.com. The site made it appear that a person would assist. The "answer" was canned language from some computer guide not specific to my question. The info shown did NOT help at all.

I should've known it was a phony site, when asked which of 3 levels of compensation I was willing to pay. I picked $18.00. Was I a dupe!

I paid with PayPal and have asked for a refund.

• Jt
          J. T. Price Mar 27, 2010

JustAnswer took $18.00 out of my Visa debit card account without authorization. They did not help me fix a problem with my Outlook Express 6. They incorrectly represented themselves as authorized Windows/Microsoft company representatives and promissed 100% satisfaction. They will not answer my many requests for a refund. In addition, it is impossible to find a phone number for them in order to lodge a complaint.

The make you give them a deposit to be escrowed which they say will not be used unless you are satisfied.

I will report them to my bank, the Better Business Bereau, and the Texas Attorney General's office. I will ask my bank to go after them and try to get my money back. I have a debit card issued by Chase Bank.

IT IS A SCAM!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Expert's Advice-just AnswerBilling me twice for 10/08/09

Billed twice for comment on 10/08/2009. I expect a
        return soon of the second charge to my credit card. Amber

Just Answer... Dr Denniswise ###, cheeky answer

After asking about a serious, but not life threatening disease, Dr Dennis
          of Just answer.com gave a smart ###, cheeky answer that I refuse to pay for. The accolades that cascade on the side I believe are shills.
          Don't fall for this scam. Check your CC statement to be sure.

Justanswers.com/dogdouble charged my credit card

I logged on to website and gave credit card info after setting up sign on & password. I accepted answer and was double billed for the 'deposit' and another additional $15 amt on the same day. Don't know if it is related, but my computer is now crashing saying some software is damaged. Didn't happen until I got on this site.

Just Answer Vets Onlinedouble charges

I emailed with a problem about my dogs health, paid (i thought) £8.00, and got a satisfactory answer, i have just been to my bank, and have found i've been charged twice, its been taken out of my account. I am in England, and it's an American site, i cant ring to ask for my money back.
              I know £8.00 doesn't seem much, but my dogs vet bill was over £500 in total, so i am to put it bluntly...SKINT...

Can anyone help me with this...??

JustAnswer.com — Scam / noanswer want deposit back

I wanted some simple answers about my dog. Well this seemingly free website had me go through all of the...

JustAnswer.combilled and no service

I needed some advice on a wound my cat received by a raccoon. I needed the information immediately and this seemed like a good option. I asked the question and was asked how much I would pay - I chose 13.00. It directed me immediately to paypal where I paid the amt.In full using my bank acct. Received the receipt and waited. About an hour later I got an email that I had a response. I went to retrieve and it asked me to pay... I contacted customer service and they said I had not paid. Checked paypal and it was received by them - also deducted from my bank acct. I sent them the receipt and went back and forth with about 20 emails. Got no where but the run around. I asked for a phone number - I called, no one answers... So left a message. 2 days later and have gotten nowhere. I am really ticked off - not even just the money - but the principal and the time I have taken on this! Ridiculous... Do not use this company - you will be sorry!

• Tt
                    ttdown Aug 13, 2009

I've used them many times without any issues. You dont pay unless you get an acceptable answer to your question. You do pay a deposit if you want your answer quickly, but the deposit is refundable if you dont get an answer. Simply email them for a refund. First time I used them I didnt get any answer at all and requested a refund, the refund was given within 72 hours. I've used them several times since and was happy with the service. One thing to note, there are good experts and some not so good, they have an option to "opt" out of expert that is assisting you if you feel that they dont have the knowledge to answer your question, this is a great feature, I've opted out several experts that just didn't have the knowledge in my opionion, then another expert came along and answered my question that resolved my boat issue. Just be sure that you are satisfied with the expert that is helping you, or opt him or her out until a better expert answers your question. I hope this helps.

• Gi
                    giventofly Aug 04, 2009

I was also billed with no service. Paypal paid them and my bank account was decucted the amount. I called and they could not figure out why I did not recieve a answer... Right!!! I would not use this site. Now I am in the process of getting a refund. Filing a dispute with paypal so we shall see.

JustAnswerfraudulent company

A google search of the owner Andy Kurtzig will show evidence all he does is start a company and when it fails, his parents bail him out and off he goes to another adventure. He cares less about the turmoil he leaves behind for those who thought they might be able to make some money working for his current fiasco. The site claims they have doctors, nurses, veterinarians, Ph.D and Doctorate holders but before you trust them with anything, read the small print disclaimers. He has no idea who is really giving out those answers. And if you are studying through Penn Foster, they are very willing to sell you all the answers you want. But beware of those answers. If a company is so in need of business they are willing to sell answers to students, that should speak volumes to their credibilty. Ask the students who are spending money and failing tests. Ask Penn Foster if they currently have them in their sights for selling their answers.

• Se
                      settingitstraight Mar 06, 2011

Sounds like another disgruntled former so called "expert" if you ask me. I've been an expert on the site for two years and I can tell you that they absolutely verify the credentials of their experts. The have also implemented several knew quality initiatives, such as secret shoppers, peer reviews, moderator monitoring, and much more, to ensure quality. I know of many disgruntled experts who have either left the site voluntarily or been banned from the site for poor customer service, causing trouble with other experts, failing credential verifications, etc. So, it's only natural that they'd spread bs like this to try to harm JustAnswer.

The fine print that says JustAnswer is not responsible for answers and the information provided is general information and not a substitute for informed professional advice is simply a legal disclaimer so individuals can't sue the company if they follow someone's advice and it results in damages. Seems very reasonable to me. Anyone who thinks they should have the right to sue me for $10 million because of advice that they paid me $5 for, is an idiot. If you're looking for someone to sue, then call a contractor and pay $500, which by the way, includes insurance premiums to cover damages from lawsuits.

The bottom line is that JustAnswer experts are experienced experts that usually work in the field for which they answer questions on JustAnswer.com, but we're not "companies." The information we provide is "advice, " that's why you pay a fraction of what it would cost if you called a contractor or an actual law firm. Many people simply want the advice of an expert without the hassle and expense of calling contractors, taking a day off of work to go to a lawyers office, etc.

Right from the comfort of your own home, you can post a question and get responses from the same people you'll usually talk to in person if you were to go to a business. Then, if, and only if, you're happy with the advice, you "Accept" the advice and pay the expert. Yes, you have to place a "deposit" up front, but it's just that, a deposit. It's a good faith thing that let's us experts know that you intend on paying if you receive an answer to your question. JustAnswer understands customers are nervous about paying up front, but at the same time, experts are reluctant to take time to answer questions without some kind of insurance that they will get paid for their time. The deposit system works great. If the customer is happy, they "Accept" and release the deposit to the expert, if they're not happy, they don't "Accept." The customer can either leave the deposit in their account for future use, or request a no questions asked refund. JustAnswer honors their no questions asked refund, 100%. I can tell you that from experience. I get a few payments every month deducted from my account from scammer customers who accept my perfectly legit and qualified answer, and then go request a refund from customer service. Is it frustrating for experts? Sure, but that's part of the business. You have to take the good with the bad, and you have to err on the side of the customer in a customer service oriented business. Even if the customer is wrong, they are right.

And regarding "selling answers to students, " that couldn't be further from the truth. JustAnswer has a "homework help" section. That's where students can receive "help" with their homework. I've helped several students with their homework. We don't just give them the answers for $5. That's bs. We work through the questions with them, explain how to come up with the answer, and then help them arrive at the answer. That's what homework "help" is all about. Do some experts put in more than others? Do some experts cut the "help" part a little short? Sure. That happens. The bottom line is if someone is cheating it's not JustAnswer's fault. JustAnswer isn't standing outside of colleges with signs saying, "Come get your answers here everybody!" JustAnswer offers students home help using a system that's far from perfect in a world that's far from perfect. Some students take advantage of it, and some experts take advantage of it. But, I can tell you the majority of the experts take pride in "helping" students and will refuse to answer if the student seems to just want the answers and doesn't want to learn.

Hopefully those looking for help won't be put off by the few sour grape customers and former disgruntled experts who either got banned from the site because it became obvious that the customer was scamming experts and abusing the no questions asked refund policy, or the in the case of the expert, for poor customer service or lying about credentials. JustAnswer is 100% legit, and it's an awesome deal if you ask me. The best part about being an expert there is having customers tell me how grateful they are at the end of our conversation, and how they've been working on their problem for days, and how the $20, $30, $40 was the best money they've ever spent, etc. It's truly enjoyable to be able to help people like that in a way that's mutually beneficial - they get professional help for a fraction of the cost, and I get to earn a few extra bucks while I'm already sitting at my computer anyway. Awesome service!

JustAnswer.comunathorised charge $175.00

I clicke the $10.00 box that I am willing to pay for recomendation of a symple drawing software program.
                    They charged me for $175.00.
                    I sent them an email and claimed a refound. No response yet. I was in touch with their 'Expert' waiting for further advice because the first wasnot fully useable. I am waiting for both responses. 08 / May/ 2009

• Er
                        erik wilson 09 Jul 08, 2009

Please contact me with any adresses or phone numbers for this company or any inspectors looking into this
                        [email protected]

• Er
                        erik wilson 09 Jul 08, 2009

I just had a 355 dollar withdraw from my account, (hours ago) have you had any luck getting hold of the company?
                        please help me if you have any info or contact info Thanx [email protected]

• Go
                        gohope39 May 30, 2009

I paid them 15 dollars for a question, and got advice back. My regret though is that it would have been sooo much easier to just go to yahoo answers because you get the same kind of advice from non-experts for free. I just want to know if anyone has paid and then found out that justanswer later on continued to take money out of their account. I'm willing to just give up the 15 dollars and tell my bank to block that service to my account, I just want to know if anyone has had problems with large amounts of money being taken out, without any authorization

JustAnswer.comdodge mechanic answers

People need to be aware that JustAnswer.com/Dodge can provide inaccurate information despite statements that they have certified mechanics providing answers. I read a solution regarding the weeping hole on the water pump of a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L with a solution to change the water pump and instructions on how to do so - for a 3.8L...

Here is what I wrote to them, but wasn't able to submit without providing CC information:

**'Simple Solution' for the 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3L pump change doesn't work - you need to remove motor mounts and allow engine to drop in order to remove pump even with pulley unfastened and slid back onto pump. The fins on the pump don't allow the pump to drop out/ or the front of the pump hits the unibody - just not enough clearance (and it is spelled 'weep' as in to lose fluid/cry regarding the weep hole) My hubby is a Red Seal mechanic of 25 years, and he told me it wouldn't work but I wanted to try. However there just wasn't any other way to get that pump out in the 3.3L without taking out the pax side engine mount bolts and letting the engine lower - the pump and pulley then fell out on their own. Also it was a 3.3L that was asked about, not a 3.8L as is referenced in the answer.***

• Ly
                          Lynne taylor Aug 13, 2011

USED ONCE KEEP TAKING MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT

• De
                          Derek G Williams Jul 19, 2011

A card payment was taken from my bank account without my authorisation

• Da
                          DarkestDays Aug 19, 2009

I have been an expert there for many months.
                          There may be 20 thousand Experts who have joined, but at any given time there are about 300 on-line, at this moment 313.

“Prove It or Lose It” has never been used as far as I know but they have a new policy to verify experts, but it is rife with errors, cheating and delays.

As a warning to anyone who thinks of being an expert there: keep in mind that a portion of your answers, tho they may be very good answers, will not be paid. This is not a fault of JA, but is because many customers want something for nothing. They get what they want and stiff you.

As many as %50 of my answers dont pay, for one reason or another.

• He
                          Helpful Information Feb 20, 2009

JustAnswer is the largest Expert answer site with more than 15 million registered users and approximately 20 thousand Experts, who help make sure that their peers are who they claim to be through our “Prove It or Lose It” policy. The five-step screening process is as follows:
                          1. Tests: We implement tests for each specific category, i.e. A Real Estate Law test that’s different than Immigration Law. Traditionally only 1 in 10 applicants makes it past the test.
                          2. Stages: If the Expert passes, typically they start off with a limited account that we call “Stage 1”. They have a number of restrictions on their account, which are removed as they progress up the ranks.
                          3. Peer Reviews: All Experts are evaluated by their category peers.
                          4. Customer Feedback: If Experts receive excessive negative feedback from customers, they are banned from the site.
                          5. Prove It Or Lose It: We take a similar approach to eBay®. Suspicious Experts are asked to prove their stated credentials to a third- party credential checking company. If they refuse the credential check or fail, they are banned from the site.

Experts consist of ASE Master Certified Technicians, Automotive Engineers, and other Car Experts. On the right-side of the homepage, under the Meet The Experts column, clicking on See More Experts shows those that meet these qualifications.

JustAnswer.com — Unauthorized billing

I asked a question on www.justanswer.com on 10/29/2008 and was asked what I wanted to pay $10, $20, $30...

JustAnswer.comdog

I was charged twice for one service on 10/20/2008 without my knowing or authorization. I e-mailed for a refund, since they offer no phone # to be contacted, and was told I would receive the refund on 11/23/2008, but the charge is still on my credit card and a balance with them 'that I can use on their site'. I made it clear that i did not want to keep a balance with them and that if I wanted their business again, I would pay for it WHEN I used it.
                        I feel robbed by this people. I don't trust them, I think they are thieves, and I will never use their "services" again. BE CAREFUL with these scam artists!

• Th
                            thebearprince Oct 18, 2010

Just Answer is an ABSOLUTELY FRAUDULENT WEBSITE, And I intend to expose this website for its Cut-throat and Dog-eat-Dog approach to business! I came in contact with them when I had my email hacked into and could not access my email account on Yahoo. I was very desperate and needed help as I had some very vital information in my email account. Method of last resort - Just Answer - BIG MISTAKE. I read their terms and conditions and something about them did not quite register. I tried to leave the site, but they kept luring me back with more lucrative offers which all seemed too good to be true! They said you could not be billed on Answers that did not satisfy you, and even offered a discount. At one point they even asked me what I would like to pay them. At the end of the day, none of their answers was satisfactory, yet because I had entered my Bank account details with them, they automatically billed me, wait for it - £54.88p - YET NONE OF THEIR QUESTIONS WERE ACCURATE, AND I WAS STILL FROZEN OUT OF MY ACCOUNT!!! My Anger with this Website is the Audacity which which they take out money from people's bank accounts not to mention all the Grief, despite their 100% Money Back Guarantee!!! I have absolutely learnt My lesson with this Organization, and will ask my bank to initiate a refund action against them! These Cyber-Demons Should be exposed for what they truly are, and ever were - A BLOODY SCAM!!!

• Sp
                            spasibo Dec 03, 2009

I was charged $15 and $13.5 + for one question. I would never use this site again!

• Di
                            dingojoe Sep 23, 2009

I have no doubt that this site is a scam and would warn all to keep well away from having anything to do with it
                            I was overchatrged and complained to them and have had 2 replies saying that my refund was credited which is not true
                            I am taking this matter further and will do all possible to have those responsible for operating the ste fully investigated
                            Bob Sage

Kenneth Young. Sep 10, 2009

The service is terrible and corrupt

Kenneth Young. Sep 10, 2009

Your attitude towards complaints is very unfortunate.

Dear Sir.
                            I agreed to pay an amount for information but only received one answer, which was not correct. Since that one answer I have had no further communication and beieve this to be a scam.
                            Is this one of your scams which I have read about?
                            Yours sincerely
                            K. Young.

• Ps
                            psimmons Jun 13, 2009

As a member for over 1 year I can saw that JA is NOT a scam. Not sure which BBB practices your referring to, but each of my customers will accept (and pay) ONLY if they want to. Sometimes my answers are not what they want to hear, but they are accurate and where else can you get an answer to a legal question from a REAL BAR CERTIFIED lawyer (like me) for $15?

I wish I had thought of and started the site...but at lease I can work with them :)

Phil

• Co
                            Connie Feb 23, 2009

Seems like everyones getting the shaft from just ask, I also was foolish enough to ask a question but I did not hit the I accept on the reponse I got, yet my account has been charged twice now for the same answer. What else is new? I guess the old addage is still true .. Buyer BEWARE!

• He
                            Helpful Information Feb 20, 2009

Customers place fully-refundable deposits and can read answers and respond until they’re satisfied. Customers define quality and only pay for answers they are satisfied with by clicking on the “Accept” button. A full refund is instantly available at www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx. For more information, please email our Customer Service department at [email protected]

• Fo
                            forgottenboy Feb 10, 2009

I completely agree, they are violating ABA and BBB practices and are going to have some serious liability issues despite the indenification clause they put in the contract, that's extremely unconscionable.

JustAnswer.com — Online scam

JustAnswer says that they provide experts all over there site. They even claim on there site that...

InfoSignJustAnswer.com — Clogged kitchen sink

I contacted the above ([protected]@justanswer.com) to find if if there was anything on the market that would unclog...

JustAnswer.com — Vet advice hurt my dog

Dr. Wade should not be offering advice on this website! The advice was absolutely wrong! My poor dog is now...