Menu
Gumtree Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

Gumtree
reviews and complaints

www.gumtree.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.2 343 Reviews

How responsive is Gumtree's customer service?

12 Resolved
329 Unresolved
Very poor 🤒
We don't know much about how Gumtree handles customer complaints outside ComplaintsBoard, but what we see here, on our website, is quite disappointing. We think there might be reasons for the company's actions (like not knowing about the complaints), and we would be happy to see them among customer-focused businesses that easily solve customer problems. But until that happens, we ask reviewers to be cautious when dealing with Gumtree and using their services, and to carefully read the experiences of other customers on ComplaintsBoard, because who is warned is armed, you know! 💪
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Gumtree has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
Write a review File a complaint

Gumtree reviews and complaints 343

Filter reviews by rating
1 review
1 review
Sort by:

Newest Gumtree reviews and complaints

3:54 pm EDT
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree Probably one of the best free ads websites in the uk

Probably one of the best free ads websites in the uk.
Find anything you like from a car to a new wife.
Search by area and by category. I have found the site to be OK and have used it many times in the past. Cant say Ive seen any scammers, but Im sure they do exist on a site of this size.
Overall - Its OK.

C
2:40 pm EDT
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree It's essentially the classifieds sections of you newspaper

It's essentially the classifieds sections of you newspaper, online.

The site is full of people selling items from kettles to three bedroom houses. The site splits the Uk into areas, so you can search for you desired item by location.

It's funded by advertising, so it's free post items.

6:24 pm EST

Gumtree Help me

Good evening I have been having a conversation for a few months with Gumtree unfortunately it has not dawned on anybody I'm struggling to communicate with Gumtree

If they send me a message your staff they think the problem is resolved

Can you find someone who can communicate with me and resolve my problems I'm blocked I've had my account deleted because they said it was the best option for me I've been a customer for 12 years wow are you just disregarded me and say it's you have to delete it because we cannot change your email

Any sensible help would it be appreciated

Anthony

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Gumtree representatives only. If you are affiliated with Gumtree, please claim your business to access these details.

Is Gumtree legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Gumtree as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 3% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Gumtree stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Gumtree should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Gumtree earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Gumtree achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Gumtree. The company provides a physical address, 2 phone numbers, and 2 emails, as well as 5 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Gumtree has received 2 positive reviews on our site. This is a good sign and indicates a safe and reliable experience for customers who choose to work with the company.

The age of Gumtree's domain suggests that they have had sufficient time to establish a reputation as a reliable source of information and services. This can provide reassurance to potential customers seeking quality products or services.

Gumtree.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Gumtree.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Gumtree as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

We looked up Gumtree and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Gumtree has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 3% of 341 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • Gumtree protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.
  1. Pros
    1. Diverse Listings: From cars to jobs.
    2. User-Friendly Interface: Easy navigation.
    3. Free Posting Option: Cost-effective selling.
    4. Localized Search: Find nearby deals.
    5. Large User Base: High traffic platform.
  1. Cons
    1. Limited Market Reach: Gumtree is UK-centric, limiting global exposure.
    2. Prevalence of Scams: Higher risk of fraud compared to competitors.
    3. No Auction Functionality: Lacks bidding options unlike eBay.
    4. Basic Interface: Less sophisticated features than newer marketplaces.
P
11:39 pm EDT

Gumtree Lost Advertisement

Transaction 53829270NC851983V was posted on the 21st October 2023 and $66 paid Order No: GT6082920. Re "2001 Regent Cruiser Caravan 5.8 Metres"

Yesterday I edited my advert and reduced the asking price in addition yesterday the 26th I tried to add one more photo but Gumtree would not accept it saying it was already added which it wasn't.

Today I tried to view my Advert and the system tells me I do not have one.

Desired outcome: Reinstate my Advert immediately.

K
3:07 am EDT

Gumtree Car gurus

Despite all of my emails to you, and your assurance you would stop emailing me
"you have failed"
I am still getting emails from you on a daily basis?
I have no idea why you still persist "what do I have to do to make you" stop full stop "You really are disgusting" I will have no other choice but to take legal action against you "
If you choose to ignore this message

Desired outcome: PLEASE Stop the Emails NOWDelete all my account/records ONCE and for ALL

3:26 pm EDT

Gumtree Advertisment

I had posted a advertiment with gumtree for a 8 week old litter of puppies under the for sale for the cost of £64.95

V.A.T at the cost of £12.99

Order Total as at the cost of £77.94 Order refernce number ( [protected] )

7 day Feature in dogs royal wootton bassett.

i can not make any contact with them by phone as of now. the robot system dose not operate and you can not send a reply.

Why do Gumtree not check the advertisement befor taking the payment from the person putting the ad on the gumtree site.

please if you wish to phone me please do so.

Regards Donna.

3:38 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree Money taken from my bank account for an Ad Gumtree immediately removed from listing

I placed an Ad with Gumtree and paid £2.20 to have my Ad stay on top of the listing for 7 days. The money was taken from my bank account immediately after submitting the Ad and Gumtree then removed my Ad within seconds of the money being taken with no explanation why they removed it.

The Ad was for a bundle of jigsaw puzzles which I accumulated during lockdown and now wanted to sell. I see no reason why the Ad was removed, why I never received an explanation, and why they took money from me so quickly and not refunded before refusing to list the advert.

11:43 am EDT

Gumtree Gumtree Help & Support

I have had a Gumtree advertisement entitled "Paradise Pure Poultry" since December 2022. During the last few days I have not been able to see my ad. The page claims there is no listing. I also believe that others cannot respond to my ad. I raised the matter with Gumtree Australia help and support. Roxanne suggested that I sign out and sigh back in again. I tried this and anything else that I could think of but to no effect.

Please restore my ad and access to it.

Dr A. Hashemi

Desired outcome: Restoration of my ad and access to it.

L
6:12 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree Forbidden to post an ad with no reason given.

On the 6/07/2023 I attempted to post an ad selling a leather sofa on Gumtree.

I was immediately informed that the ad had been 'removed' and that I would receive an e.mail informing me of the reason.

No e.mail arrived.

I tried again with the same result.

I chatted with a 'digital assistant' three times, I was told three times that an actual person to chat with was unavailable, on each of those occasions I was told that I would receive an e.mail to communicate with someone, those e.mails never arrived.

I de-activated my account and opened a new one hoping that this might resolve the issue.

With my new account I attempted a further 6 times to post the ad and each time the ad was removed, and, as with the old account, I never received the promised e.mails informing me of their decision.

I again opened up the digital assistant chat box, this time I stated 'account hacked' in a last ditch effort to speak to an actual person.

This time it worked and was told that I would receive an e.mail stating why my advert was never posted.

This is the e.mail I received -

'Upon review of your account, we’ve made the decision that we are not the appropriate advertising platform for you personally or your business model.

We do appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and we thank you in advance for respecting our decision.

Kind regards, ...'

Considering that I only wanted to sell a sofa, and the hours of my time spent going around in circles attempting to do so, I feel that this response is inadequate.

I am still completely in the dark as to why I am unable to use the Gumtree website.

Desired outcome: I would like to post my advert or receive a proper and detailed response as to why I cannot post my advert.

C
12:36 am EDT

Gumtree Possible scam email from GUMTREE

I just received an email from gumtree from MARIA an Associate at Gumtree .saying my product has been pre purchased and prepaid.a document will be sent to my email to receive the money? The courier has been prepaid as well. They will be collected. I don’t have to do anything.

There is a green button to REPLY TO GUMTREE. and it asks for my email address.

This is very confusing. I don’t understand? It looks genuine but this is first time I have sold on gumtree. In my 70’s and frightened to reply.

Cheryl Hall

Desired outcome: Reply from GUMTREE to the above queery

9:52 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree Incorrect payment charge and queries not answered

I Have sent through numerous email queries and no one is responding to me.

Ad [protected] was reposted via my phone app and was charged $1.95 for.

It should have been $0.99. And the ad did not go to the front page as it should it stayed on page 31. According to your details this has not been reposted. I sent an email with my paypal details showing the payment of $1.95 was taken out.

I want this refunded and corrected.

My other query is the charge of payments of ads for birds. I understand and agree why its done but do not understand how you cannot disclose the payment fee structure of what you are going to charge. It is not listed anywhere you can see. This is what I sent and have not reply

Hi thanks for all that and fully understand and agree but my question is coming from the fact that prior to march for add where the pet was $30 I was being charged 2.99 an advert. It changed on the 23 march. I would like to know why over the past few years it got to 2.99 and now back to .99 for the same advert. Have you been ripping off people. And where does that money go.

Also I still have not had resolved my issue with being overcharged and [protected]

Thanks Myra

Desired outcome: I want someone to contact on [protected] and answer my questions and refund my the $1.95 for this ad that did not get reposted.

K
5:14 pm EDT

Gumtree Selling

I have put up several ads and the most recent (a capsule massage chair) - I have had nothing but scammers contacting me... Not one actual real buyer!

All the messages in the photo off my ad are scammers.

This seems to be unpoliced. How are we as sellers supposed to have any confidence selling on gumtree when we get no real buyers and are in fear that our money will be taken or accounts hacked?

Desired outcome: A response from gumtree

J
8:49 pm EDT

Gumtree HP Deskjet 4122e purchased on 14 March 2023 from "[protected]@users.gumtree.com.au

The seller was Donna of 233 Wharf Street, Queens Park, WA.

Seller advertised product as "Brand New" for $30. I accepted the price and went over to collect it. Over the entire afternoon, I tried to get it working but the paper kept jamming and would not print. Thereafter, and it has not even been a day, I contacted Donna by text to let her know that the printer could not print and I I wanted to return it for a refund.

However, she kept insisting that the printer was new and unused. I offered to take the printer over to show her the problems that it was displaying and also stated that if she could show me that it works, I would keep the printer. Neither of my proposals to resolve the problem were accepted.

I checked and from the receipt, it showed that the printer was purchased in March 2022 and after checking with HP, I learnt that the warranty expired in October 2022.

Two issues that I have are -

1. Donna lied about the printer being new and unused.

2. Donna was unwilling to give me a refund for a product that did not work.

It is pretty disappointing that for a miserly amount of $30, Donna is prepared to sully her reputation as an honest trader and a good person on Gumtree.

I have text messages and e-mail correspondences to support my complaint.

Desired outcome: The money is not the issue, but honesty and fairness are. I do not expect to get my $30 back, but other people who use Gumtree should be warned about this trader.

J
5:58 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree Vendor advertising showing illegal content

Recently, I was disgusted to see on gumtree.com.au vendor advertising showing a link to a site called alibaba.com that was offering pistols and t-shirts with offensive messages for sale. I raised a report to gumtree, and they have refused to respond, despite my repeated requests for a reply. The advertisements were clearly visible for several hours, to anyone visiting the site, including children.

Desired outcome: I would expect a response an apology for this content, with assurances that it will not be displayed again. To just ignore my report and concerns is not acceptable.

S
2:51 am EST

Gumtree Cell number not being displayed correctly. [protected]

Good morning, My advert advertising my cell number is not accepted in the advert I paid for. Hence I am not receiving enquiries from people interested in my property I am selling in Margate. Sea-spray: [protected]. Could you please sort out and come back to me. The number is [protected]. It appears as +[protected].

Thank you.

Rosalie Bester

Sea-spray

46 Hibiscus Avenue, Margate.

www.sea-spray.co.za

Desired outcome: Please could you correct the right way my cell number is to be displayed. Thank you.

11:06 am EST

Gumtree A Gumtree staff member Called Nicole [protected]

I have been trying to purchase a Static caravan in LAGGAN House. Country park Ballantrae. I have been trying to chat to Nicole a member of Gum Tree. She assumes that I have been rude to her ? As I live in Cyprus I asked if a friend from Girvan can view this caravan but obviously the times didn’t suit her. She then took this caravan off the market. ID [protected] cost £16000. I have been trying to contact her all day a she stated that. I could pay a£100 security deposit. I am still wai’ting for her Bank details .I have now booked flights and a hotel T considerable expense, so I can view this static caravan . I arrive in Girvan on 16th of February y. To view and make an offer

I suffered from stroke last. Week.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Douglas Muir.

Desired outcome: I want to buy this caravan

9:27 pm EST

Gumtree Advert

Posted adverts with my face on gumtree many times over tears. Now gumtree has a new rule no phoros of face on advert. But they dont say thst new rulr before I pay£40. They dont take photo down. They take advert fown and dont refund. It is sneaky way of steeling customers money and I will have to write reports about it. I will not be treated with such disrespect by a company that is so low it has to practicaly steel money by hiding new information.

Desired outcome: full apology for wasting my time and trying such a low move. from by all staff involved . change the way gumtree lay out the steps to place an advert and write the new rule clearlufull money back

W
7:38 pm EST

Gumtree Dog puppy cat and kitten sales

More than 50 % of your ads are placed illegally. Not register breeders no breeder ID false microchip details.

Who checks these before the ads go live.

Also the amount of Oodle and other X bred breeds that are allowed to be advertised as pure breeds by back yard breeders need to be addressed.

True breeders put a lot of time and effort when breeding. They breed to a standard that is acceptable by the national and state breeders [censored].

Desired outcome: Check the ads before they go live. See attached examplehttps://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wagga-wagga/dogs-puppies/chihuahua-puppies/1306885510

10:54 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree My ad just being deleted

I have had my advert deleted from gumtree with no reason given .i paid £2.99 to advertise baby guinea pigs which have arrived at my rescue centre and they just deleted my advert without contacting me to ask any questions at all.nor have they given me any one reason why its been deleted,nor have they refunded my payment oved

Yahoo

Inbox

Gumtree.com

To:

[protected]@yahoo.co.uk

Tue, 10 Jan at 10:55

Hello wendy,

Thank you for posting on Gumtree.

Unfortunately we have had to remove your ad "Two pairs of gorgeous baby guinea pigs girls and boys " posted in the category "Guinea Pigs" from the site.

We believe that this ad does not meet our Pets posting rules.

Our Pets posting rules include:

- no banned animals or breeds

- no underage animals offered for re-homing

- no breeders, commercial pet traders, stud or breeding services

- no trading animals for fighting purposes or ads promoting fighting

Our rules are very strict in relation to our Pets category as we take the welfare of animals very seriously. Our rules are sense checked with animal welfare organisations who are members of paag.org.uk To see our Pets posting rules in full please go to: http://gumtree.force.com/Help/articles/General_Information/Pets

Thank you for your understanding.

The Gumtree team

**Please do not reply to this e-mail!**

It is automatically generated and if responded to, WILL NOT be received by a member of our staff.

For further help or to contact us please go to: http://gumtree.force.com/Help/knowledgeHome

Desired outcome: an apology and the advert reinstated

11:04 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree The reinstatement of my paid for featured add.

I have had a account with you for many many years placing a featured add through your platform on a recurring 14 day listing, recently my featured add has vanished or has been removed for no apparent reason, I have received NO email notification as to why anything is amiss. Please reinstate my add forthwith to its rightful place.

My login details are as follows

[protected]@hotmail.co.uk

Grant*pim** the last 2 characters have been replaced for security.

Please let me know when things are back online as my add which I have paid for through your platform is and has probably lost me an odd sale.

Just as an aside to my issue above I have tried getting access through your site, this has been down for a week

https://gumtree.my.salesforce-sites.com/ is down for maintenance

Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll be back shortly.

In addition there is NO live chat facility through your site either, so perhaps you would be good enough to tell me and other clients how we are supposed to contact you for customer or technical issues.

Regards,

Mike Perry

Gumtree In-depth Review

In summary, Gumtree is a versatile platform that offers a wide range of services and categories for buying and selling items. It's user-friendly and has measures in place for safety and security, although there's always room for improvement in customer support and additional features.

Website Usability and Design

The ease of navigation on Gumtree's website is quite good. Categories are clearly labeled, making it simple to find what you need. Visual appeal is straightforward, with a no-frills design that focuses on functionality. The site is mobile responsive, which is great for users on the go. Search functionality is robust, with various filters to narrow down results.

Range of Services and Categories

Gumtree offers a variety of listings from cars to jobs to services. The categories covered are extensive, and there is a presence of niche markets which can be very useful for finding specific items or services.

Listing Quality and Accuracy

Most listings have a clear description, but this can vary by seller. Photo quality is generally good, allowing buyers to get a decent idea of what they're looking at. Price transparency is mostly there, but again, can depend on the seller.

User Experience

Account creation and management are straightforward. Communication with sellers/buyers is facilitated through the platform, which is convenient. The user interface for listings is user-friendly, making it easy to post and edit listings.

Safety and Security Measures

Gumtree has privacy policies in place to protect user data. Transaction security is a priority, but as with any platform, users should be cautious. Scam prevention efforts are evident, with warnings and tips for users to avoid fraudulent activities.

Customer Support and Services

Customer support responsiveness can be hit or miss. Dispute resolution processes are in place but could be more efficient. Support channels include email and help articles, but there's room for improvement in accessibility and response times.

Pricing and Fees

Most listings on Gumtree are free, with no listing fees or commission rates. There are premium services available for a fee, which can help your listing stand out.

Community and User Feedback

There is a reviews and ratings system for users, which helps in gauging the trustworthiness of sellers. User engagement is encouraged through the platform's features. The trustworthiness of reviews can sometimes be questionable, as with any open marketplace.

Mobile App Experience (if applicable)

The Gumtree mobile app has good functionality and maintains feature parity with the website. User ratings on app stores are generally positive, indicating a satisfactory mobile experience.

Success Stories and Testimonials

There are many buyer satisfaction stories shared by users. Seller success rates are also high, with many using Gumtree as a primary platform for their sales. Case studies are not prominently featured but can be found through community forums.

Policies and Guarantees

Gumtree's return/refund policies are largely dependent on individual sellers. Buyer protection is limited, so it's buyer beware. Seller guidelines are provided to help maintain a safe selling environment.

Additional Features and Tools

Users can sign up for alerts and notifications for new listings. There are some educational resources to help users navigate the platform. Comparison tools are not a primary feature but can be improvised through search filters.

Environmental and Social Responsibility

Gumtree's commitment to sustainability practices is not clearly outlined. Community involvement is encouraged through local buying and selling. Ethical considerations are part of the user guidelines, promoting responsible use of the platform.

Overall Value Proposition

The cost vs. benefits analysis favors the user, with free listings and a wide audience. Gumtree's unique selling points include its local community focus and variety of categories. Its market positioning as a go-to local classifieds site is strong.

Future Outlook and Updates

Gumtree seems to be planning improvements and expansion plans are likely, given the platform's success. It stays current with industry trends impact, adapting to user needs and technological advancements.

Conclusion and Recommendations

My overall impressions of Gumtree are positive. It is ideal for users looking to buy or sell locally. The ideal user profile includes anyone from casual sellers to small businesses. My final verdict is that Gumtree is a valuable resource for local classifieds, with some areas for improvement, particularly in customer support and additional features.

How to file a complaint about Gumtree?

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to file a complaint or review about Gumtree on ComplaintsBoard.com:

1. Log in or create an account:
- Start by logging into your ComplaintsBoard.com account. If you don't have an account, create one to proceed.

2. Navigating to the complaint form:
- Locate and click on the 'File a Complaint' button on the ComplaintsBoard.com website. You can find this button at the top right corner of the website.

3. Writing the title:
- Summarize the main issue with Gumtree in the 'Complaint Title' section.

4. Detailing the experience:
- Provide detailed information about your experience with Gumtree. Mention key areas such as transactions, steps taken to resolve the issue, personal impact, and the nature of the problem.

5. Attaching supporting documents:
- Attach any relevant supporting documents to strengthen your complaint. Avoid including sensitive personal data.

6. Filing optional fields:
- Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to state any financial losses and the 'Desired Outcome' field to specify the resolution you are seeking.

7. Review before submission:
- Review your complaint for clarity, accuracy, and completeness before submitting it.

8. Submission process:
- Click the 'Submit' button to submit your complaint or review.

9. Post-Submission Actions:
- Regularly check for responses or updates related to your complaint on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Ensure to follow these steps carefully to effectively file a complaint or review about Gumtree on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Contact Gumtree customer service

Website

Our Commitment

We stand for unbiased reviews

We help resolving issues

We advocate freedom of speech

We ensure transparent and fair ratings

We care about your privacy

We are easy, free and open to everyone

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with Gumtree?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Gumtree Customer Service. Initial Gumtree complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Gumtree above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Gumtree. Discuss the issues you have had with Gumtree and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.