Inteliusscam

T

I have tried to connect by phone for two days. after waiting 15minutes a person answered. He said he could not help me he would switch to a person that would. that person never answered.

RESOLVED

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Apr 02, 2010

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Feb 17, 2011

Please call [protected] Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Valerie Jun 16, 2008

Got charged for a service I didn't sign up for. Spend lots of time on the phone to straighten it out. Almost 2 months of unanswered calls and emails only to be told today via email from intelius customer service to "*** IN A SHOE". I asked why he was so rude and was then told "THAT IS WHAT IN OUR MANUAL. Yup, no joke, copies of the email will be mailed, emailed and faxed to anyone important I can find in that company. I am just shocked! People work in the customer service industry and have no customer skills. I'm tired of them getting away with it. They ruin it for the people who work hard to make customers happy and for us customers who PAY for their services!

• Valerie Jul 14, 2008

I ran a report on myself. I lived in the area 60 years. They have no report or any other reference on me. They will not refund. I will contract my credit card and issue a complaint. They are a scam. Do not use them as they are multi-teared scam system making you pay for more services thinking you will get your information if you pay the added price. Scam...!

I don't know if other companies can provide this service. It is good to run a background search when you are constructing a resume. But, you need to deal with a proper company which isn’t a scam, if there is such a company. I tried another company and they also are a scam. Good luck.

mary bush Jul 14, 2008

Hello you, Did u get package back to mail of 3 of bottles back to u? I just want to cancel it and retutrn mnoey back, I forget how much total cost? pls let me know, i sound like to hear for coloncleaner is goood to so i can;t it ok, thank you so apprecatie to u, have a nice day,

• Ro
    ron hutchison Oct 08, 2008

The whole thing is a scam

• Na
    nancy parker Dec 08, 2008

12/08/2008

Authorized $ 2.95 for a people search and was charged $19.95 for two months and also was signed up for At Home Rewards. And was also charged $19.95 for that. I cancelled my check card so this should stop them from getting any more money out of my account. Had to call twice to get them to cancel both the People Search and At Home Rewards. Something needs to be done about these people. I'm on a fixed income and this hurts.

[protected]@yahoo.com

• Ga
    Galina Jan 15, 2009

The pretent to help you out, they have the information but they will charge usa monthly fee without you noticing/or accepting and if you decided to accept a disct amount you will be enroll and other things for additional charges of $19.95 per subscription and an additional $19.95 a month until you notice. Oh and neither company will give you your total refund only portion of it. I called them both and they have an attitude when answering the phones and they would not give you more information than "Ican only refund you one not both charges".

• Hg
    hgfire Sep 08, 2009

The Intelius scam continues but we can all fight back. It's early September 20009 and I have just gone through two disputes which appeared on my bank statement. Fortunately, I have a great banking institution whereby they work well with their customers. They conference me into the conversation (3 way) so that all parties have a say in the conversation.

We all know by now that this company (Intelius) is performing devious if not down right illegal practices. Yes, they are alerting customers on their site about these additional fees but it appears in such small print, the customer (like me) fails to recognize what is actually being sold here. Intelius is hoping for two things to escape the customer. First, that we will miss the fine print or worse, not even bother to read it. Second, that enough people will not even bother to dispute or worse, recognize the charges on their bank statements. In other words, if only two out of ten people dispute the charges with their bank, Intelius is still making lots of money.

The first thing I did was contact my banking institution. Don't give up. You have the right to dispute these charges. If you fail with the first contact at your bank, call back a bit later and try again. Hopefully you will reach a different person. If this attempt fails, go to the bank in person. The quicker you discover these charges the better. Don't put it off.

The second thing I did was contact Intelius (online) no need to spend more time on the phone waiting for them to pick up and having to listen to such dreadful music to boot. Don't be vulgar, be firm and to the point. Whether your input will fall on deaf ears, I can't say.

The third thing I recommend is to contact the Attorney Generals Office in the state in which you live. Explain what happened and your displeasure, be courteous. Contact your Better Business Bureau. Both of these things can be done online. If you want to go one step further, contact a news outlet, meaning your local station or better yet, a major network. Most major networks have what's called consumer protection hot lines or some such name. They work on your behalf.

Finally, the more people identifying these unscrupulous practices, the better.

Mattdcarruth Sep 13, 2009

I had a 99.75 charge last night from this company on a card that I have never given them the information for. On my account I found in there web site, they don't even have a phone number for me, because they only have the info that I gave intelius this past February.

• At
    Atty Oct 23, 2009

Our law firm is Plaintiffs' counsel in a class action lawsuit filed against Intelius and their partners in the Central District of California. If you have information you would like to share, or to assist in the prosecution of this case, you can contact me at:

William R. Restis, Esq.
    Fax: [protected]
    email: [protected]@classactionlaw.com

• Ca
    CarK84 Feb 23, 2010

I went through Intelius to look up a phone number that had been used to reserve a hotel room using our company name. The web site said I would be charged .99 for limited information. I then looked up another phone number that was used for the same room reservation and again said I would be charged .99 which I agreed to and gave my company credit card again. I just received my bill I was charged .99 ten 4.49 for the second number and for Int*INPROTECT Monitor services $19.95. I just hung up the phone with a VERY rude woman that informed me that I agreed to this MONTHLY CHARGE but should would cancel at this time but Would not give me back my 19.95. Do NOT use this service!!

• Ll
    llp13 Mar 04, 2010

Don't use Intellius. I was trying to find my cousin's address in a small town where she has had three different houses, her husband died and I wanted to get the correct address to send flowers. The only information I got was that they had indeed had three addresses in that town. It didn't tell me WHEN they lived at those addresses or which was current. They are a scam do not give you any relevant information and not matter what they say will end up charging you 19.99 for the service because you did not read the fine print. The nasty people on the phone will tell you that there is no supervisor above them that you can talk to and will refuse to refund your money! I am so angry I could spit... I hate being scammed.

• Al
    Alan Mar 23, 2010

I called the telephone number provided by my credit card company. After about a three minute wait the representative told me how I agreed to the Ident. add on during my one information search (which did not provide any usable information). When I said this to the representative, he said that is what you get for .95 cents. How Professional. I had not rec'd any email or information, just a charge for $19.95. I asked if there were some sort of box that you checked to agree to accept the monthly add on, but I was told that I had a choice of paying .95 cents which is 51% off or $1.95 full price. I selected the .95 cent price and that automatically enrolled me in the monthly program. So had I selected the 1.95 service, I would have saved $19.00 hmmmmm. Sounds strange to me. I feel this is a scam and if they are providing a true desirable service, they would not need to stoop to such a low level to obtain customers and membership/subscription.

Provide a desirable service and you will have happy customers. Scam them into being charged a monthly fee and you have people like myself posting on every possible place to report the poor business ethics of this company.

• P5
    P_500 Apr 17, 2010

Like many others here, I originally payed 99 cents for a reverse look up. The reverse lookup just gave me someones first name.

I then see a couple of weeks later on my Chase Credit card statement two additionally charges for $19.95. I called Chase immediately and the representative who I spoke to called Intelius herself, on my behave. The represenative from Chase then transfered me to the Intelius representative.

The Intelius had a luke-warm personality. She first said that I had signed up for the "idenity protection" or whatever it was. I told her that I absoultly didn't. She then tried to explain to me that it came with the 99 cent look up. I told her flat out that this seemed like another online scam and that I would to reporting the company to the BBB.

She responded by saying she would take off the the 99 cent charge because a last name was not provided and ask if I would like to continue the "identity protection program" at a reduced cost of $14.95 a month.

I then became very anger but assertively told her that I demanded to stop the program immediately and be refunded my $40. She responded by saying she wasn't going to argue with me.

I then demanded to talk to her supervisor. She then put me on hold and then came back within a minute (which seemed really quick and really strange) and said she had talked to her supervisor for me and that they would refund the $40 (the two charges) and also the 99 cent charge.

Immediately after hanging up, I googled Intelius and it became very obvious that this comany is in fact a maor scam.

• Ca
    Calvin May 10, 2010

This is a scam. I paid $28.00 for a report and can't access the info unless I first agree to a monthly payment?? This is pathetic. I paid for a report - where is it?? They took my money but did not deliver. They want me to agree to pay them $20 a month, automatically removed from my credit card, before I can see the report a already paid for. I should have googled Intelius first before I tried to do business with these idiots. I have canceled my account with them and hope they don't try to steal any more money from me.

By all means - avoid these crooks.

• Ra
    Raeofsunshine81 May 16, 2010

I have had the same things happen with this company. I have been trying to find lost relatives for my father for some time now and have lost money doing so. The worst thing about the whole ordeal is that 99% of search sites on the internet are run by Intellius. There is no way to get away from them.

• De
    deezgirl51806 May 17, 2010

wow! i took the advice from above & threatened the company regarding a 19.95 charge they would not refund back to me. i threatened i would contact the bbb & so my money should be refunded back in 7-10 business days, we'll see what happens from that point! i was very surprised how the rep. folded after a threat like that ... previously that was not the case, the rep. was NOT refunding no matter what, more or less like "ohh well!" i'm happy so far, we'll see what happens & i'll be back to comment on that! thanks to the helpful world out there!

• Lc
    LCTorres Jun 14, 2010

on the phone with them as we speak and they're saying they're not going to refund my money!!! I asked to speak with a supervisor and hopefully I'll be able to get through to the supervisor.
    Wow way to scam innocent people.

• Mi
    Mike H Aug 11, 2010

Don't use this company's telephone check service it's nothing but a scam. I did 3 telephone number inquiries at $4.95 each and got 3 one word returns back that was suppose to be subscriber information. By their rules you don't pay unless they find something and I guess making up a word and sending it to the customer "is something". There is no similarity between what is shown as a sample report and the return that you get. When I asked about the poor service delivered I got a "kiss off" form letter. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

• Ly
    lynn kleinke Aug 17, 2010

i just ordered the .95 deal and cant get ahold of the company by email. no matter what you press on the sight, it wont go anywhere. i want to cancel this order. what do i do?

• Ly
    lynn kleinke Aug 17, 2010

i just purchased a deal for 55 cents. when i try to do anything on the sight, it will not go anywhere. wish i would have seen these complaints first. how do i cancel my order

• Ql
    QLFANS Oct 25, 2010

Here is how you get a hold of them. Their emails are first initial last name @Intelius.com (make sure to spell Intelius with only 1 "L'). The only way to get through to someone is a direct extension as their main # goes to an automated attendant (the better to keep people from complaining directly to the execs). Here is how you reach the execs directly - call [protected] through extension 6115 this wil take you into various mailboxes of execs listed below.

• Bill Owens, Chairman, Age 69
    • Naveen Jain, President & CEO, Age 49, $276, 250 annual salary
    • Paul T. Cook, CFO, Age 46, $174, 984 annual salary
    • Kevin R. Marcus, CTO, Age 34
    • Jim Adler, Chief Privacy Officer
    • William R. Kerr, Chief Corporate Officer and Director, Age 54, $100, 000 annual salary
    • Susan K. Koehler, Chief Marketing Officer
    • John K. Arnold, EVP Business Development, Age 45 – in Federal prison for lying about having sex at strip club
    • Edward O. Petersen, EVP Sales and Marketing, Age 37, $167, 500 annual salary
    • Niraj A. Shah, EVP Engineering, Age 38
    • Chandan S. Chauhan, SVP Product Marketing, Age 51 (one of the key individuals responsible for this nonsense free trial)
    • William H. Beaver Jr., VP and General Counsel, Age 54, $200, 000 salary (note the attorney is one of the highest paid execs here!)
    • Irina Z. Leversee, Controller

I encourage everyone who has an issue with this company to call these guys directly. Don't bother with x6105 as this goes to John Arnold who was recently arrested and is spending 45 days in Federal prison for lying to a Grand Jury about having sex at one of Frank Colacurcio's strip clubs. This is just further proof that the execs that run Intelius are a bunch of sleazebuckets - see full article here. http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/10/john_k_arnold_ex-intelius_exec.php

Let's not forget all the Infospace debacle - the investment community better do "FULL background checks" on all the execs. Ha ha ha ha ha.

• Mm
    Mmonkeys Jan 25, 2011

I thought I was looking up a number for 95 cents instead they charged me $19.95 for a membership and another $19.95 for identity protection. I did not authorize any of this and they will not refund my money. When I called to to deny purchasing, Intelius would not refund my money and then got very defensive when I asked them if this was a scam. Now I am out forty dollars for looking up one phone number. Visa would help me either. This company is a scam. BEWARE I am going to report them to my state's attorney general's office. That probably won't work either.

• Ic
    icjr Feb 03, 2011

Not sure if you gotten this taken care of but any event I have been battling with these folks since May 2010... I am going to take them to small claims court for the aggravation and time to do all this. Because I have canceled the service twice and found out that they still have not stop taking monies out of my account. Would you be interested in a joining a class action suit.

If so state how much you were loss or frauded? Email me at [protected]@gmail.com with the Heading Intelius Fraud.
    Thanks!

• Ic
    icjr Feb 03, 2011

I have been fighting with these folks for almost a year...they have defrauded my account for at least a year. WHEN I called them and requested a refund they indicated they could only authorize 1 Month.
    I will be taking them to small claims court. I also notice that there is a Class Action suit against them but they know the Legal system and by the time the Judge grants a settlement They will be broke. [protected]@gmail.com

• Ke
    Kevin G Feb 14, 2011

Intelius is a SCAM. I just discovered they have been charging my card 9.95 for the past 5 months and I never signed up for there service. I called and made a complaint and she said all she could refund was 2 months. I will not stop harassing, posting, blogging and will even bring them to court if I have to. I will not rest until I get all of my money back and either shoudl anyone else. After all the reviews I have seen I cannot believe that they are getting away with this. The woman on the phone was rude and told me that her manager does not speak to customers and had the nerve to also say that her agents do not make mistakes. UNBELIEVABLE!

• Pi
    Pissedrobot Feb 17, 2011

Tried to get a background check on a person. Not looking for anything serious, but just whether the 'story' I was told would hold up (addresses, employers, etc.).

I am not pissed that Intelius did not have this information. I am pissed that led me to believe they had this information.

I clearly clicked on the person I wanted the information on. Instead I got a report on folks that I have no interest in, nothing on the person in question.

Scamming 25 bucks off of someone for any reason is criminal. When will these people be stopped? It's scam, clearly out in the open...

• Be
    BE AWARE 2011 Mar 07, 2011

I just contact them because they did the same to me. I looked up an address for 1.95. and was charged 19.95. The customer service rep indicated that they disclose this information prior to making the purchase and there is a electronic signature to show that you either agreed or opted out of the montly service. PLEASE BE AWARE that there is no such disclosure!!! It is under the guise of completing your original transaction. I always check my checking account transactions and noticed the 19.95. Lucky for me I was in within the 7 DAy trial period so I canceled it. I will never be using this service again. They know people are using their services for only one specific purpose and are looking for a way to keep billing you.

• Fe
    Fed Up With Crooks Jun 27, 2011

Having conducted background checks for many years, I had an occasion to use Intelius. In doing so I found that background checks and phone numbers were frequently wrong. I also found many times that they would associate people in a residence that had no association other than a similar last name. If you order a check, expect to be charged no matter if they find anything or not. They advertise that they will refund if a phone check comes back without a name. Also expect if the phone check is not automated that they will tell you it will take 72 hours. After the 72 hours they still have not located anything and will bill your account. If you unfortunately go through Customer Service you will find ill trained employees who are frequently rude and do not listen. My experience with D.J. and supervisor Brandon show that the company does not care about the customer, only about making a billing on your account no matter what. Anyone considering using Intelius I would suggest that you could find as much information in the White pages for free and save yourself from spending money at Intelius. I totally agree that more people should file complaints with the BBB. Currently over 1750 complaints have been filed against the company, even though they show a B rating. I would also encourage those who have been victims to contact the class action attorney above and tell him your story. If more people would do this Intelius and other companies that prey on the consumer would have more of a voice to stop their illegal actions.

• Mi
    mike 2011 Sep 21, 2011

i worked for them and they treated their employees like ### they fired me they are the worst company to work for they are scam robbing peoples money if they took you money the trick is to call them and threat them with you going to contact the bbc better business bureau and they attorney general and they will refund all your money so for every consumer make sure you use those magic words to get your money back i hope they go out of business lets work on that file as many complaints with the bbc and AG to get them to stop robbing peoples money.

• Da
    Data Daemon Oct 25, 2011

For those interested in speaking with head sleazebag Naveen Jain himself, his direct line at Intelius is [protected].

• Ve
    VEE in AZ Jun 09, 2012

I wrote Intelius to ask to be removed as I was being stalked and had a criminal restraining order against my stalker. I sent my request along with a copy of that court document and 3 months later I am still listed on their website. How do we get the law to make Intelius adhere to our requests - before they get someone killed?

VEE