Having problems with Intelius?

C/O Intelius, 500 108th Ave. NE, 16th Floor
Sat6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Intelius People Searchdont' waste your money

My experience is similar to other reviewers. I gave them a social security number, and they gave me a worthless report consisting mainly of people who happen to have a similar name to the person for whom I was searching.

I filled out their email form to register a complaint, but never received a response.

Another nice touch is that they will try to get you to sign up for some identity theft protection service, and they make this service look like its part of the registration process. It's not.

This was a complete waste of fifty dollars.

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

If you require further assistance, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Ci
      Cindy Owens Jul 03, 2012

The crap they puyt on line lead people to believe you can get a number for free. Just try it and see how frsutrating and monopolized that market is. I would rather not have a phone than pay someone any time and every time I needed an unknown muber. Looks like trade commisison should check into this. The public informatin is not always FOR Sale

Intelius.comfraud/identity theft

I paid $22.95 for a background check for my husband which provided me with no information. After I paid them there were 3 fraudulent charges made to my card. I cancelled my card with my bank and when I spoke to a representative at Intelius she was very rude and hung up on me. A few minutes later my phone rang and I recognized the voice as being the customer service rep. I dealt with and she told me "You better watch your back b**** because I know where you live"Don't ever use this unreputable co.!

• Intelius's response · Oct 22, 2009

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Pe
        Penny Luccketta Apr 22, 2008

On the 13th of April I went to Intelius to help me find relatives and was charged $49.99 twice. I did not order that amount even once. I wrote to you stating my complaint and was told I would have my money returned to my account in 7 days. the seven days have come and gone and I am out $100.00. I am on a fixed income and because of your inconsideration I now have checks bouncing around that I cannot pay let alone the overdraft price. If you have any compassion at all you would return my money to my account. PLEASE help me. Thank you, Penny Luccketta

Jacquie Apr 28, 2009

I was ripped of by Intelius too. Months ago I foolishly used this company to look up a high school friend (never did get any info on her). it cost .95 to do the look-up. Okay, fine. Now I realize I have been charged 19.95 a month for what? I have no idea. I never signed up for anything. Lying cheats!!! Haveto get a new check card. Sad that these scam artists have control of banks. WTF?????

Inteliusthey're a rip off

I signed up with Intelius to do a reverse phone lookup. It said the number was listed in their service, and for $4.95 I could read the information.

Once I put in my card information, I was automatically charged $9.90 and could not back out of the deal. When I tried, it automatically went into another service of theirs for identity theft protection. It took a lot of tries to back out of this page.

Then I got an email saying it would take 48 hours to get the phone # information. I called my bank, and they said I could file a claim against the company, but would have little chance of getting my money back.

Don't use Intelius! They're a rip off!

• Mo
          momo Jul 10, 2008

I wanted a reverse lookup of a Verizon landline # in NJ. They sent me name and address of some shmoe in Ohio. Went to 411.com and they had the right information (no info no charge). Fact is they will just make up garbage and charge you for it if they don't have the info. And they rarely if ever have any info. They refused to refund. They are 100% rip-off. Dispute ongoing.

• Gl
          Glenn Nov 18, 2008

I agreed to pay $2.95 to find an address, never got it and later found out I had been paying $19.95 a month for an Identity Protection (that I could have gotten for $7.95) for 4 months! I don't even remember agreeing to this service. When I called them (from the number off my credit card statement) they removed one month and cancelled my service, but they still "robbed me" for 60 bucks! That's stealing without a gun! Avoid Intelius at all costs.

John Kinsler Jul 07, 2009

Whenever you purchase ANYTHING from Intelius, they automatically enroll you in their "identity protection" service for $19.95 a month, and they never even tell you that you have agreed to it. This service consists of-literally-nothing and is just meant to rob you of $20 a month until you notice it. Do not use Intelius!

• As
          A SOE Dec 13, 2011

THEY ARE TOTALLY A RIP OFF! DON'T U EVER GO THERE LOOK FOR PEOPLE'S INFORMATION. THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY RIPPING OFF AND PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.
          THEIR WEBSITE IS A SHAM!! THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING AND STEAL MONEY FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD BECAUSE THEY NEVER GIVE YOU A REFUND EVENTHOUGHT U R NOT COMPLETYLE SATISFY WITH THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE.
          CUSTOMER SERVICE PPL TRAINED WELL TALKING VERY SMOOTHLY AND CLEVER NOT TO GIVE YOUR MONEY BACK.
          THEY KEPT SAYING NO REFUND WHAT SO EVER AND OFFER ANOTHER FREE SEARCH FOR NOT GIVING MONEY BACK. HE SAID THAT'S THE ONLY THING THEY COULD OFFER EXCEPT MONEY BACK. BUT
          WHY SHOULD i WASTING MY PRECIOUS TIME TO SEARCH FOR OTHER PPL'S INFO FROM THEM WHICH i DON'T EVEN SATISFY WITH THEIR SERVICE? i CAN IMAGINE THERE SHOULD BE MANY PPL GOT RIPPED OFF FROM INTELIUSL.COM AND GOT MAD AND WALK AWAY WITH 0% SATISFACTION.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM EVEN IF IT IS CHEAP $0.95 SERVICE! IT JUST GONNA MAKE YOU TO PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE FOR NO USE.

• Da
          dakpat Apr 04, 2012

Yes they have ripped me off. I went there payed $.95 then was charged $4.46 got nothing and found out I was charged $19.95 on 2/5 another $19.95 on 2/8 then another 0n 3/5, 3/8, and now 4/2, 4/3. I called several times even got a confirmation number still charged. Now I have a refund for 2 $19.95 charges but it seems I will have to fight for the rest of my money. I called and canceled in February, March and now twice in April.
          I have had to cancel my card so no more charges can be debited from my account.

Intelius / Ap9 Privacy Mattersunauthorized charges!

A company I dealt with online (intelius.com), somehow scammed me into buying a service from ap9
        Privacy matters outfit.http://privacymattersid.privacymatters-program.com/

They charged me $19.95 for a service I never heard of, never authorized. the woman I spoke to at ap9, carla, said that intelius does this to try to get new customers for her company... she is sorry and they will credit my account $19.95 within 2 business days.

Do not use intelius for people searches. they are scammers!

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Co
            Concerned Citizen Mar 21, 2008

I agree with you- the same thing happened to me! Intelius is not trustworthy at all. This is my first (and hopefully last) time being scammed online!

-Mary

• Pu
            PumpkinHead May 28, 2008

100% agreed. These two "companies" are in league with one another, scamming from hard-working people. See my complaint under 'PM Identity / Intelius' for a more detailed account. I am disputing the $60 they took in fradulent charges and will pursue any and all other avenues to give them what they deserve, which is NOT free money. Do NOT use Intelius, you will regret it as well as PAY for it.

• Ba
            Barb May 31, 2008

Totally true. this is bad. the "survey" promises $10 back. there is no mention made (at least noticeable mention made) that they'll start billing you 19.95 per month under a nother company name.

Do NOT use Intelius!

Stay away.

Annie Jul 15, 2008

There were five unauthorized charges to my account within 30 days period totalling to more than $100.00 .

I do not know what kind of 24-hour credit monitoring they have but when I tried to call, I was not able to reach a single live person. I spent countless hours for a whole month trying to cancel my subsription by emailing and calling, but was unsuccessful. After a month of unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issues, I finally switch my tactics to getting in touch with AP9 privacy matters, the name of the company that was charging my account to cancel my accounts andwas lucky enough to get my money back.

It was a very unpleasant experience since they offer no explaination as to what happens or apologize for making unauthorized charges. INTELIUS/AP9 PRIVACY MATTERS is a SCAM.

Inteliustenant screening scam!

I just paid $62.45 on a credit card for this company (Intelius) to do a tenant screening for me. What I got was screwed. They gave me 3 prior addresses, and told me the person had no record. What they didn't tell me was they weren't going to give me any credit information which is what I really wanted. I went to erenter.com and it opened to Intelius. What a rip-off! Do not use this company, the internet Complaint Board is full of other complaints on the same company.

• Intelius's response · Oct 22, 2009

If you require further assistance please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Ro
              Robert Roy Mar 28, 2008

Of course Intelius is a scam. With all the identty theaft going on do you thnk the gov is going to allow ANY real information to be given out. I am always amazed how people fall for these scams, no offense to you personally. But think about it.

I've seen the advert for Intelius for a long time and finally got around to confirming my suspicions by googling the company plus any complains and what a mess I uncovered... and still this company is allowed to function! SHAME on the internet!!!

• Yi
              YIRMASTER Jul 02, 2011

They are a reputable company and uphold the strictest of security standards as required by law. You should have just read what you were getting for the package you ordered, you must have assumed a credit report was included with the background check however it is not and that is clear based on it being absent from what is specifically included. FYI intelius does offer credit report checks if you order them and does offer discounts for those who need to order them often.

Try one of these searches:
              freetriplescore.com

Hope the info helps

Peoplelookup.com / Intelius & Pmidentity.com — unauthorized charges & incomplete, inaccurate information!

Peoplelookup.com aka intelius & pmidentity.com. beware of these companies! the first order with...

www.intelius.com — unauthorized charges!

These # suckers allowed another company, www.privacymattersidentity.com, to use my credit card number to...

Intelius — no product as promised!

Intellius charged me $19.90 to check on a phone number. They say they will do a full background check and...

Intelius - Intelius.com — no name-address report received

I tried to use this company for a reverse # look up & they ended up taking ALOT more than agreed upon, a...

Inteliusfraud and cheating!

I was charged 14.95 for a month of AP9*24 ProtectionPlus. I did not order this so I called and was told after I paid for the initial service this plan went into effect 7 days later if I didn't cancel. I was never informed of this plan and can find no where in there terms and conditions anything about this either. I guess once they have your bank info your at their mercy.

Beware!

• Intelius's response · Nov 02, 2009

• Intelius's response · Jun 03, 2016

Please call [protected] Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• P6
                p617y60 Feb 03, 2008

Intellius tricks the user into signing up for the Protection Plus plan. After I had entered all the necessary information for an address including my personal information and credit card, a second page is displayed with a yellow box on the left hand of the page indicating that you should enter your email address twice as part of an electronic signature to continue. On the right hand side of the page is the Protection Plus terms and conditions. If you do not closely look at why they are asking for the electronic signature, you assume that it is a signature to continue on to get your address information. Fortunately I did a double take and read it more carefully. Still confused though as to how to continue without entering the electronic signature to get my address, I tried hitting the Continue button, and it continued on to get my address information without requiring the email electronic signature. This is by far one of the most nefarious, under-handed, evil web pages that I have ever seen. It is on par with phishing hackers since that is what they are essentially doing except they can claim that if the user only read the fine print, they would non have signed up for Protection Plus. I will never do business with this sinister organization again.

• Th
                Theresa Israel Asher Feb 10, 2008

I'm so happy to find this message board, I can't tell you. I had the very same experience. I wanted to help my parents find the credit information for someone they wanted to do business with. The three of us sat at my computer and looked at Intelius. I put in my credit card information and once I got past the first screen and found that there was a second charge to get the credit report, I backed out and cancelled the transaction. I also wrote them an email immediately and told them I never got what I wanted and I felt their advertisement was fraudulent. Before my credit card bill came, I had a major surgery and have been recovering. Then I moved to get closer to my outpatient therapy. A family member has been taking care of my bills, so until a few weeks ago when I saw the charge for $14.95 that I didn't recognize on my credit card and began investigating, I had no idea I had been charged this FIVE times for an "AP9*24 Protection Plus" service that I have never heard of before. There were extenuating circumstances for me to not have found this earlier, but that's how it went. Intelius had no use for my complaint and said that this other "service" is not connected with them and it clearly states online what I was purchasing. It clearly did NOT and the three of us who sat at my computer are not idiots. I wanted a credit for the FIVE $14.95 charges my card has incurred, and they refused. I contacted the Better Business Bureau. Wish I would have found this message board first so I could have included it in my complaint. Intelius sent BBB a response and said the same thing they did to me - that it clearly states when you put in your email that it is considered your electronic signature and you are purchasing this "protection service" until you call and cancel. I can't believe that, in this day and age, this blatant criminal activity is allowed to continue. It's so easy to prove how deceiving it is. I only wish I would have found mine sooner. Anyone who wants to contact me for further information or give me a hand trying to challenge this can contact me at [protected]@aol.com what a shame this all is. Life is hard enough and there are enough predators on the computers without a big name company being allowed to continue this kind of activity. I'm comforted by everyone who took the time to write here so I can see that I am not the only one who was duped. Be well and stay strong. Tia

• Cs
                CSword Jun 03, 2016

Signed up for Search program on a month, one time basis, and did one search on the first day. Didn't use it again. They have charged my credit card for two more months on the 30th of each month without my authorization. I have tried to contact them with no results or response to email. I have contacted my bank and they said that I need a negative response, in writing before they can take it off my account. How can I get a response, in writing, if they don't respond?

• Wa
                walmartistheworst Jun 03, 2016

Gotta love 'free trials', lol.

• 12
                123blahblah Jun 03, 2016

To not get monthly charges always pay the full price for a search and not the discounted price. Also do not put your email address in the box on a membership page and click yes, just click No. To get any charges reversed call customer support and tell the representative that you are disputing any and all charges with your credit card company or bank and that you are filing a complaint with the BBB and/or Attorney General. It is company policy to automatically refund any disputed charges. Worked for this company for over a year, left on good terms but just felt bad for all those people that have been put in a bad spot by Intelius.

Intelius People Search - www.intelius.com — intelius - beware it's a rip-off!

I paid $14.95 to this company Intelius for a reverse phone number search. They claim to have the latest...