Ingles Grocery Storegeneral business ethos

K

On April 25, 2017 I went into the Hogansville, GA Ingles to purchase strawberries. The sign in front of the strawberries read 2 for $5. These were one pound packages.

When I went to check out; Ingles refused to sell me the strawberries at the marked price since I didn’t have an Ingles Card.

I was informed by the on duty manager that she would be fired if she sold them to me for the advertised price without having an Ingles Card and that I had to pay $4.00 per package. I informed her that I had no desire for an Ingles Card and that I just wanted to purchase the strawberries at the advertised price which matched the same cost as the other stores are charging.

Currently in my area (LaGrange, GA) Publix has the same berries for $2.50 a package or 2 pkgs for $5.00. The Lagrange Farmers Market is selling the exact same berries for $2.00 per package or 2 for $4.00 and Wal-Mart is selling the exact same sized package from the exact same farm for 2 pkg for $4.98.

So, the margins on the product don't vary for three other retailers, but yet Ingles was trying to get roughly $1.50 more per package above their advertised price since I didn’t have an Ingles Card.

The on duty Manager then called the General Manager, who promptly told her not to sell the strawberries at the advertised cost without me having an Ingles Card and that I would have to pay the higher unadvertised cost if I didn’t have or get an Ingles card.

I explained that I had no desire for an Ingles Card. I just wanted to purchase the strawberries at the in store advertised price, which matched the other local store prices.

Bottom line Ingles refused to sell me the strawberries at the in store advertised price, so I went to Wal-Mart and purchased the 2 pkgs for $4.98.

In essence, Ingles valued the $3.00 extra dollars they could gouge out of me more than me being a repeat non-Ingles Card carrying customer.

I had typically stopped by the Hogansville, GA Ingles store somewhere between 24-36 times a year and let’s say spent a conservative $20 each time, spending somewhere between $500 to $700 dollars a year.

I know that the financial loss to Ingles caused by me not spending this small amount money anymore at the Hogansville, Ingles won’t be felt by the corporate office, but at least the other grocers in my area will make a little more due to Ingles business ethos.