H&R Blocksoftware bug caused tax audit

L

I used HR Block online software to file my 2009 tax return and I got tax audit in 2012 and was charged $100 interest penalty. Although the HR Block accountant who reviewed the situation agreed that this was a software issue, I was told since the problem was discovered more than 60 days after tax filing, HR Block won't be responsible. The worry free guarantee is such a lie.

• Ki
    kimberly jones Jan 26, 2012

I filed my taxes with h and r block paid 248.00 not realizing that they are not rapids that was fine .I was told i would receive it the 25 OK the 25 of January has come and gone, called all day-Given5 times to call back.Finally called IRS nothing till Feb how can you give a date against the IRS to rip the customers off my paper work is a Lie am out of money and no refund till another month.

• Th
    Thomas A Mar 16, 2011

I went to get my taxes done and didn't think I would have to get a loan to pay for the services. 1000.00 back from state and pay 100.plus to Fed. you have the nerve to charge me 249.00 I will make sure to tell everybody I know what a terible rip off this is.I promise you I will never come to you again and I will never forget or to tell othersw about this rip off service.

Jericho Mar 04, 2011

We used their emerald advance line of credit and when our refund came in we paid it off before 2/15/10 and was charged another finance charge. I tried to dispute this but they said it took 4days to post to our acct but cleared the bank before the due date. They would not help us and refused to take the charge off, so i will not use them again they are rip offs.

• Ki
    Kirby Mar 04, 2011

Got the run around for the last 4 weeks trying to get my monies from emerald card. They lied to me and more things. I have it all tape/recored. all of it. I need directioning in tis matter. I have two cases filed on this. looks like im fixing to loose everthing! $5000 truck, Rent house, a good job making 100k a year. Was not able to make down payments. currently living with sister. Stressed with no way out. total humiliation!

• Si
    sick n tired of bad service Feb 14, 2011

either way I find this interesting...lol...h&r and jackson hewett are charging all their customers too much. i worked there and quit because the big dogs got pissed when customers decided not to file with the company. and most all the service is people off the streets that they train for 3 days to use the computer, and the computer does all the work...just saying. i go to a real cpa and pay less than that for our complicated returns every year. and the added bonus is, that if the irs finds a mistake or questions anything, at least i got someone who knows what they are doing taking care of it for me. google complaints on both. you will be surprised.
    like i said really either way, i dont care what yall do...just some useful info.

• So
    somewhere in Iowa Feb 14, 2011

Just so you know, I don't believe a wrod of it. A 1040EZ by H&R was free, so either you didnt get the EZ or your state is priced WAY to high. I have been going to H&R for years and I do know that if you had gone to anyone else and they had charged you for the work they did you would still be complaining.

• Br
    Bradshaw25 Feb 07, 2011

HR Block charged 195.00 for tax preparation and 32.95 for bank fees. This wasn't even a rapid refund charge. Last year for a rapid refund it was 167.00 and this year for an eZ 1040 is was 195.00. I have been going to HR Block for years but will not go back and will tell family and friends to go to Hewlett Jackson who only charges 58.00 for a ez 1040. What a rip off!!! Your company should be ashamed.

JEN Apr 28, 2010

Never ever use these people, what a joke. Got a letter from the irs the day I was supposed to receive my refund. The *** who did my taxes and charged me (low-income) over $400, did not file some of my paper work. When I stopped in the office, I found it was the ***'s first year and he really wasn't qualified to do my taxes. Could I come back in one hour. I did that, and the agent was busy and told me to come back in another hour, (guess they can't use a phone) at 9 p.m.! I wonder do they pay for mileage! Would have been nice to know the first time that the guy was a newbie. The prices these people charge are unreal and the agents are not very knowledgeable, don't waste your money or time.

• Ba
    bandhrblock Feb 03, 2010

THE EMERALD CARD IS NO GOOD THE BANK IS CRAP I USED MY CARD RECEIVED MY RECEIPT WHICH SHOW THE BALANCE IN MY ACCOUNT. I CONTACTED HR BLOCK BANK WAS TOLD THE MATTER WAS RESOLVED. IT HAPPENED BECAUSE THE WAY THE MERCHANT PROCESSED THE PAYMENT. BUT MERCHANTS SHOULD NOT YOUR NON-PUBLIC INFORMATION. ALSO MY ACCOUNT BALANCE IS SHORT APPROX. $1, 000.

• Co
    Confused Apr 08, 2009

Wow..you probably went to one of those first year tax preparers...you should've requested that someone else prepare your taxes...and I believe if I'm right in understanding what you're talking about when you refer to "real estate taxes being applied to your refund"...do you mean that it was applied in addition to your standard deduction? That is a new thing that the Internal Revenue is allowing for this tax season. Which probably gave you a much higher refund. In addition to that your first year preparer probably didn't inform you throughly about the RAL...but you had to sign like 4 or 5 pages (electronically sign with a 5 digit number) with plenty of information and you also got a copy of everything in that folder you should've been given at the end of your session. As for the 8-15 days that is probably because you applied for the RAL(1-2 days)(Refund Anticipation Loan-it is a loan!!) and was probably denied which is what resulted in the 8-15 days which is the RAC(Refund Anticipation Check)(8-15 days) and you weren't charged that extra amount, and the delay (8-15 days) is not bad, considering that the money was from the refund and the $29.95 fee is an accomodation fee that the bank charges so that you don't have to pay for your fees upfront and insures the bank that you have enough to pay them back what they "loaned" you. The bank does work on the weekends, but the RACs only print on fridays, but the RALs print on anyday of the week as long as it is approved. So, don't be offended at this comment, it is just maybe an explanation as to what happened. But be aware that it was just that preparer and not the whole "company" as a whole. Hopefully that helps, but from what you stated, it sounds like a lousy experience, so don't write off the whole company because of one bad apple. Have a good one -

• Yv
    yvette Mar 07, 2009

i was under stress and frustrated myself i have not received any funds i lost my emerald card somewhere else i believe someone stolen it and spent all my money up

• Mm
    MMM Feb 14, 2009

TAX PREPARER WAS NOT UP TO DATE ABOUT FIRST TIME HOME BUYER CREIDT I HAD TO INFORM HER OF THE CREDIT, DID NOT FILE TAXES CORRECTLY AND APPLY REAL ESTATE TAXES TO REFUND.WAS NOT CORRECTLY INFORMED OF RAL AND HAVING TO WAIT 8-15 PLUS 1 TO DAYS DEPENDING ON BANK AND WE PAID EXTRA 30.00 TO HAVE A DELAY IN RECEVING REFUND.ALSO WAS TOLD THAT THE BANK DOES NOT WORK ON WEEKENDS.I WILL NEVER GO TO HR BLOCK IT IS A COMPLETE RIPOFF

Jennifer Floyd Nov 06, 2008

HR BLOCK IS TERRIBLE STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL PAY!!!

• Sh
    Shiannap Jun 07, 2008

HR Block made a mistake with my Alabama state taxes. I was advised that i wouldn't owe any money to that state in fact, I would be receiving a refund. I received a letter from the department of revenue-Alabama stating otherwise. I paid HR Block 170.00 bucks for their substandard work. If I am successful or not in tat endeavor, I will never return to HR Block again.