TurboTax company logo
TurboTax
reviews & complaints
TurboTax
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

301 complaints
33 resolved 268 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

TurboTax reviews & complaints

TurboTax complaints 301

R
Jan 21, 2022

TurboTax - Turbotax Deluxe Case #[protected]

I need to amend my 2020 tax return (local, not web based). I started my TurboTax Deluxe 2020 and it defaulted to asking me my license code. I put in the code and it returned error code 605 that my license code was not correct. This was the same code and software I used in 2020.

Spent three hours with customer service and was no help.I still need to amend my 2020 tax. I have everything I need on my desktop except a functional application.

Desired outcome: Need a functional version of TurboTax Deluxe 2020 be it software or license code

TurboTax - product and service

I have used Turbo tax for over 15 years but after last year I WILL NOT EVER USE THEM AGAIN. The e-file took 16 weeks to get back could not get direct deposit I filed for my 4 grandkids the same results. the program had an error. when Turbo tax was informed so sorry nothing they could do, Well there is something I can do now WILL NOT USE THEM Would not recommend

Jan 18, 2022

TurboTax - Customer Service

I spoke to a "customer specialist" Roger from Turbotax who was rude, sounded like he just woke up and was totally unprofessional. I asked a legitimate question about pricing, and he did not help explain the price differences between products. He was not helpful at all, kept interrupting me and was very argumentative. At one point he was ridiculing me in the background for asking if the price difference for the same product can be matched. At the end of it he talked about how he valued his job, which was totally bizarre and unrelated to what I was inquiring about. The experience really put me off. Worst customer service I've dealt with for such an expensive product!

TurboTax - TurboTax Premier 2020

REF: Your Intuit TurboTax Case #[protected]

I need to amend my 2020 tax return (local, not web based). I started my TurboTax Premier 2020 and it defaulted to asking me my license code. I put in the code and it returned error code 605 that my license code was not correct. This was the same code and software I used in 2020.
The above case number, spent considerable time with customer service. Indicated they would send me a link to re-download Premier 2020 and a license code. This was not done. Was told the license code should be good for 7 years. 2020 & 2019 asked for activation codes. 2018 & 2017 did not require the code to initialize.
My second Intuit contact, no case number, finished with nothing could be done and go to the IRS for a copy of my return. Sorry, I don't think so.
I have a product, the setup worked in 2020, should still work today and up to 7 years as told by customer service.

Desired outcome: Need a functional version of TurboTax Premier 2020 be it software or license code

S
Jan 17, 2022

TurboTax - I can't import a couple of H & R files from last year

I normally do 5 returns a year and I have been using H & R Block software. I decided to switch to Turbo and I can import 3 files but not the other two. What could the reason be? If it can do 3 why not the other 2? I don't want to return the product but if I'm unable to have all the files imported I may have to. I don't want to have to go searching for information that would be in last years return.

Desired outcome: I would like to import the other files

T
Jan 14, 2022

TurboTax - TurboTax Deluxe

I have been using TurboTax since 1997 - I am on the auto-renewal program to receive a CD yearly. Last year (2021) I had to hire household help to help take care of my husband who was in the final stages of Parkinson disease. I realized the Deluxe version which I already received and paid for does not include Schedule H for Household help. It took me two phone calls and over an hour of my time to be told I had to purchase the business version of the program. While I was on the phone with the second representative, he charged my credit card on file $171.60 for this version. He did not tell me how much he was charging to the card, I assumed it was the $89.00 I had seen on the website. He first told me that he thought he could get me a discount since I had already paid for the Deluxe version, then he told me he could not give me a discount. I have two problems with this entire situation: First, I can't be the only retired person in this country facing this type of situation. We had Social Security and retirement income in 2021 and I'm required to purchase an expensive business version to complete Schedule H (which has nothing to do with a business). Schedule H should be included in the Deluxe version. I should NOT have to buy another product. Second, while on the phone I ask if I could be refunded what I paid for the Deluxe version. I was told he could not refund my money; however, he could send me an e-mail with instructions on how to get a refund. The e-mail I received was This: "Your Intuit TurboTax Case #[protected] has been Resolved" - without instructions to get my money for Deluxe returned. Next year I'm looking for different software.

Desired outcome: Quit making ordinary people buy un-needed expensive software versions.

TurboTax - delux

I was promised a free download my software for this year for all the inconveniences and the problems they had with it from last year. The representative told me that I would be able to get a free download of the software and that I would have to call in next year and I ask him if that was going to be in the notes he said yes when I called in to get my software they see all the problems that I had but I'm still waiting to get my software. I've been using TurboTax since they have been in business and I thought this was an honorable company but if you can't trust what their representatives say what are you supposed to do. I need this matter resolved and my software given to me as I was told would happen and that they honor what the representative said to me the call should be recorded so they can hear exactly what transpired. I need to speak with someone to get this resolved

Desired outcome: My software

TurboTax - intuit

Turbo tax charged us for doing our taxes. We paid our taxes and then got a bill for over $4000.00. CP2000 Form by IRS states we under reported our income. Thankyou Turbo. You populated the sales of our stocks and reported the entire amount as earned income. Of course you didn"t populate the price we paid for the stock to the IRS. So the IRS thinks we got the stock for nothing and everything over nothing is 100% something. NFG Turbo. Now would you be so kind to answer your phones and reimburse me for a horrible experience.

Desired outcome: Pay my costs for doing my taxes correctly and refund all charges to do my taxes.

Jan 03, 2022

Try getting in touch with TURBO after you have done your taxes. Good luck.

TurboTax - Unethical behavior

I purchased Turbo Tax 2021 direct from Turbo Tax in October. The website said the product would be available on Nov 3rd. When I downloaded the software on November 3rd they did not give me a license code to activate it. When I contacted them they said the license code would not be available until mid December. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.
This seems to be their mode of operation. Last Year I bought the product and about half of the program was not functional. It was months before it was a fully working program.

Desired outcome: A WORKING PROGRAM

TurboTax - Refund

Turbotax calculations said I would receive $548.00 refund, I didn't. IRS informed me that I owed them $36.00. I want to be reimbursed for my payment to process my taxes. I have rec'd 2 messages saying "How are you enjoying your 548.00 refund! I want an explanation why this happened!
Karen R. Chappelear
6435 Green Field Rd. #1205
Elkridge, MD 21075

I have also written the Md. Attorney General to look into this.

Karen

Desired outcome: Refunds

TurboTax - Stimulus payment instructions on turbotax ask the wrong question and display the wrong amount.

I enterned the information for the stilumus payment as directed by turbotax. Turbo tax instruction also said as per my adjustied income I was to receive 1200 first and 1200 second. Which was not right it was 1200 first and 600 second. Turbotax also asked if the two 1200 was what I received. The answer was of no. The irs said that two question was wrong and that my 600 plus dollars was was because of your misleading information on turbotax program.

I would like to be refunded.
Thanks.
James Jenkins

R
Sep 18, 2021

TurboTax - Self Employment Tax Forms

I have tried to process my taxes using this service since the beginning of this year. It has repeatedly been an issue to process it due to needing a form, which the turbo tax site has no information on. I was self-employed for part of the year and the whole process to get that information process is insanely redundant.

I requested a refund within the required time and heard nothing. I want a refund as this money did not provide a service of which was followed through with.

Desired outcome: Refund.

TurboTax - TurboTax Home and Business 2019

I am opening the software on my laptop right it was when I filed the 2019 return. You are requesting a re-entry of the license code from the sleeve that contained the cd or the download. THIS IS INSANE! I AM YOUR CUSTOMER AND BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE AND BOUGHT YOUR AUDIT DEFENSE AND FILED MY RETURNS THROUGH TURBOTAX JUST I HAVE FOR YEARS. HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME WASTE TIME JUSTIFYING THAT I BOUGHT THE PROGRAM THAT I NOW NEED TO FILE AN AMENDED RETURN.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR WILLINGNESS TO ALIENATE A CONSUMER AND LOYAL USER FOR MANY YEARS. THIS ACTION IS UNCALLED FOR AND REPULSIVE.

Desired outcome: TAKE YOUR RESTRICTIONS OFF THE SOFTWARE I PAID FOR AND USE LEGITIMATELY

TurboTax - online

I have emailed several times, talked to a few agents, and filed four times for a refund! They will not address this issue! I have been a turbo tax customer since 2013. this year they sent me an email for a free upgrade being I was laid off due to covid and was forced to upgrade my filing status. they charged me anyway. I realize it may only be $37.00 and some odd cents, but that was the money they offered to not charge me. then did anyway. I find this to be rude and unprofessional. I will not be filing my tax with them again due to the lack of customer care.

this is the letter they emailed me and my response when asking for my refund.

Desired outcome: refund of my money they charged me

TurboTax - Home & business

Error 603, it happened to me last year also. Next year anyone but turbo tax, you are not getting a third crack at me.

3 hours, uninstall, install, unistall, install, repair, fix and repair

i did check online i knew you had not fixed last years problem but i have used turbo tax since you were not intuit so i thought you would take care of it, you didn't we are done. By now, i am sure you have some competition.

3 hours again this year!

Desired outcome: TOO LATE

TurboTax - Tax Return still processing

Using Turbo Tax Deluxe I requested electronic filing on April 16, 2021 of both State and Federal Returns. It is now June 10, 2021 and the State return has been received in bank account. According to "Where's My Return", the Federal return is still being "processed". I see many complaints on this board so recalculated my return on Turbo Tax after updates. The updated program has doubled the UCE (Unemployment Compensation Exclusion). This mistake shows there is simple programming errors. I will now begin asking the IRS what the holdup is.

The same happen to me and My 4 grands will not use them again

K
Jun 07, 2021

TurboTax - Inability to eFile due possibly to a "credit hold"

My taxes are complete and I'm trying to file them. I tried to pay upfront and, regardless of which card I used, I got an error message. I gave up and chose the "withhold from refund option."

When I hit the "Submit returns" button, every single time I get "Your transmission didn't go through. We could not e-file your return for the following reason: A server problem occurred while processing the refund transfer. Please try to e-file again and if that fails contact customer service."

I have tried with my iPad, my iPhone, and two difference MacBooks. I feel like I was closest on 5/17/21 when a representative told me there appeared to be a "credit hold" on my account but he couldn't get my call transferred to the Financial Dept. This was Case #[protected].

I tried again with a different representative on 5/23 or 5/24 and (Case #[protected]) she didn't listen to anything I found out from the previous representative. She walked me through her hit list, including turning off my firewall and updating my OS on my MacBook. None of this had any effect whatsoever on the problem.

So, I'm one week out from the filing deadline of 6/15/21 and my return is complete, but I can neither transmit it to the IRS or print it out. Unless something happens soon, I will be forced to try again with other software.

Desired outcome: I want to submit my tax return.

TurboTax - e-file with TurboTax Deluxe

The sender's email
[protected]@gmail.com
Message
May 5, 2001
It has now been THREE MONTHS since I filed my simple 1040-SA federal tax form on March 5, 2021 via TurboTax, with instructions to deposit my refund directly to my bank account.

This is the third time I entered a message via this email question and have not received a single reply or indication that the IRS have received this letter.
Because of the IRS's inability to efficiently process my return and refund the thousands of dollars I plan to file the Voluntary Withholding Request form W-4V to stop all withholding so I will be in control of my funds, not the IRS.
Joseph J. Sinkwitz
Scottsdale, AZ

Desired outcome: Light a fire under the IRS to speed processing of my very late refund

TurboTax - deluxe 2020

I have used TurboTax since the late 1980s, but I will never use it again.
I e-filed my return on February 23, 2021. I filed married, filing separately.
I answered every question all along the way, and TurboTax "reviewed" it and said there were no errors and my audit risk was low.
I always have the program check my return several times while I'm entering information, and there were no issues raised this time, as usual.
It is now June 1, 2021 and I have heard nothing regarding my refund.
Clearly, there is a problem with the program, as this has never happened before. Excuses offered include: COVID-19 delays in mail delivery (I e-filed and supplied my direct deposit information), IRS staffing (Returns are processed by computer) and "some returns are reviewed." I don't believe any of these excuses for the reasons I have listed.
I paid the usual $50.00 for this program and sat and waited as it "updated" every time I returned to the program to finish the return.
I either want the $50 back for an obviously defective product, or instructions about what to do about a new problem with TurboTax Deluxe 2020.

Desired outcome: My money back for the cost of TurboTax.

Jun 05, 2021

Sure hope you get some satisfaction. I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. I feel as though we're up a creek with no paddle.

B

TurboTax - turbotax Standard Online Edition

I was not able to use this due to receiving backdated benefits from government. It did not say this on the box and they have not reimbursed me. I sent 2 emails with no positive results. The first email was ignored and I did not understand the 2nd email reply.
Since I was not able to use the product I should receive a refund. If turbo tax checks their records they can see I was not able to use the product for the 2020 tax year and so they should refund me. The product was purchased from Costco on Winterburn Road in Edmonton Alberta.

Desired outcome: I want my purchase refunded.

1 2 3  ...  16