Complaints & Reviews

H & R Block — emerald green card

I went to h & r block in january to get an early refund as my heat had gone out in sub-teen temps and I had...

HR Block Emerald Cardemerald card

No matter how badly you may need the money never use the hr block tax refund advance-the emerald card. You will not be advised of all the charges you could incur and the charges they do tel you will not reflect the correct amounts. You will not be advised of the payoff procedures.
Facing a financial jam, I obtained an refund advance from hr block-the emeral card. I spent an hour at the initial visit as the procedure was "new" to the reps. I should have known then. I had to return to the office and at that visit was given "corrected" info about fees etc. I made the comment at that point " I wish I had never done this and am going to regret it. " regret it, I have... Many times over.
When time came to payoff, I called in for the $amount. I made that initial call on 2/23, mailed in a money order for the amount given. As of this date, I have yet to pay it off due to an error on the hr block employee part. After 5 calls I am still recieving a bill for $14.56. Although in dispute I am told it will continue to accrue interest at 36% and although a hr block error it will not be waived.
My advice: never even consider this. It was not worth the $300 I received from them to ever do this again. The only comfort I take is that I did not pay them $100 to do my taxes and withhold the advance. I can only imagine how that would have turned out.

• Hr
      HR Block fails Jun 11, 2009

Grover and Sheila Williams
      [protected] and [protected]
      My wife and I have used H&R Block for 21 years. I have always sent people to
      HR Block warn them that it would be unwise to trust anyone else with tax preparation. Now the very foundation of the trust I have in H&R Block has been compromised. I heard a radio commercial, "why wait for your W2s, bring in your last paycheck stub and H&R Block will get you a loan that you can payoff when we do your taxes. It was trust the H&R Block name that led me to go for the Emerald. I brought in my W-2, told the lady that I always file jointly and that my wife made $19K. Your rep asked me the usual questions and enter the data into your impressive software. After your rep had completed her computations, she told me that my wife and I would have a $5800+ refund and that I could get $1000 right away, through the Emerald deal. I am always surprised at the size of refunds H&R Block computes. So I went for the Emerald and agreed to its term, all based on the premise that I had a $5800 refund coming. When we got our W2s, we went to H&R Block to file, only this time we were told our refund would be only $600. I was dumbfounded. We elected to not to use H&R Block. No one loathes the term "predatory lending" as much as I. What is it when a bank lends money when they know know the borrower cannot pay it back. What is it a bank lends money based on false anticipated income. Well I owe Emerald $1000 and I want to pay it, but I can't pay it as agreed, for obvious reasons. PLEASE modify my loan and have your collections people cease and desist, I simply cannot afford their payment plan nor can have this ordeal affect my credit.
      The family attorney thinks that I should let various government and regulatory agencies vet this matter. H&R Block has been very good to me for a long time and I trust.

Grover Williams

H&R Block — errors on taxes and fees too high!

Me and my fiance both had our taxes done at h&r block this year. They weren't too terribly complicated...

H & R Block — horrible business & service

I went to H & R Block last night 3/26/09 to have my taxes done. There was a mistake on the tax return that...

H&R Blockterrible company

TaxCut Premium Federal + State + e-file 2008 software advertising and packaging implies that e-filing is included for both federal and state returns.

TaxCut Premium Federal + State + e-file 2007 software DID include free e-filing for both federal and state returns.

The name is the same for 2008 but no state e-filing is included. Apparently it says this on the fine print on the box, but many people including myself download it from various retailers. This is also the fault of TaxCut retailers who don't point out the fact that state e-file is no longer included.

I discussed this with their live chat support and they said they have NO product that includes state e-filing. It is rather deceptive to call it the same thing, charge the same price, say 'free e-file' on their site, but not include state e-filing.

H&R Blockthe emerald card

The Emerald Card has had my money in pending limbo for over 9 days now I canceled my order with the apple company 9 days ago I called with a customer service representative to the emerald card customer service they were rude and snippy with both of us telling us that the apple company had to fax over a stop form of some sort to them which my apple customer service person said they never ever had to do for any other card ever. They said if nothing was faxed then I wouldn't be getting my pending transaction money back for over 20 days!!! I will never use H&R Block again. My customer service representative from apple had something faxed over to them for me. My customer service representative from the emerald card charged me a 2.00 fee and didn't help me at all. Apparently I'm now supposed to have my money back on the card in 2 days but I'm not holding my breath. Don't use H&R Block and if you do for god's sake don't use the Emerald Card...

• Cu
          cuteduckie02 Jan 25, 2010

never in my life have i been so dissapointed with a tax agency my first time using them and im never going to them again.

• Cu
          cuteduckie02 Jan 25, 2010

this was my first time using h&r block and you couldn't pay me to waste my time again, they like to blame the bank but they choose witch bank they do business with. i am sad to say iv'e never been so disapointed with a tax agency before.

• Ca
          Carlos M Feb 23, 2012

I just got scamed!!! I got the Emerald scam card in Dec 2011 I need to use for the first time today Feb 22 2012 My card is no longer active, customer service says I was suppose to had used the funds before feb 15 . Now they are going to charge me over $100 in taxes interest and fees when I get my Tax refund!

christopher from kansas Dec 04, 2012

same crap here approved they screw up my birth date and keep passing the blame on three weeks now no word on emerald advance that i was approved for plus they say my card is tied to someone else in another state really bad medicine to have to take man why would anyone let these people do your taxs ask yourself that before you go christopher in kansas

H&R Block — unprofessional and bad experience

I went to get my taxes done at H&R Block for first time on my birthday January 23, 2009 I will never do it...

Whitewater

H&R Tax Cutdefective software

The Iowa Download form if you choose Federa Married Filing Seperately, and itemize your deductions, the return will be in error - in my case it told me to pay $1000 more for each of my return and my spouses return...

They insist their software is not defective as it contains a hidden workaround - (only if you know enough to ask... and spend hours on the phone)

• Ti
            TiredofTaxCut Mar 15, 2009

They also make it very difficult to use the free efile feature. You need to find a code they supposedly send you via email. I could not find it after wasting an hour searching. I've been using TaxCut since 2005. Between the $50 for the Fed return, $30 for the New York form and 1 hour wasted looking for the code for the "free" efile, I will just go to a local accountant next year. It will be worth the $150. I wound up having to print out and mail.

Also I am growing concerned that answering any question wrong can wind up in owing more taxes. And the explanations for alot of the questions are no more clear than on the Fed forms.

The way they try to nickel and dime their customers really has crossed the line. Never again. Another case of greed ruining what could have been a good product.

Jonathan Lwin Mar 24, 2009

I could not efile for my new york state return because I had my new baby last year and number of exemption changed. system could not detect any errors when you run error checks. After you sent data to IRS they gave you errors and now HR Block is saying I need to file manually. How awful that software is. I will never use HR Tax Cut Software again. May be I should join the group to sue HR block. There was a horrifble experience with their customer service.

H and R Block — ripped off by emerald card

On feb the 15 of 2017, I used my emerald card to get my first withdrawl out a atm located in williamstown ky...

H&R Blockdid not print/submit all forms

I had h&r block do my taxes this year. Big mistake. Because I owed out of state taxes, I could not e-file. I was given what I was told, all the completed forms to mail to the irs, which I mailed that day. Five weeks later I get a lovely return from the irs advising that the proper forms were not submitted. When I went back to the h&r tax office to show them the irs notice, the woman told me that I didn't "need to come in there with an attitude". I explained to her that for the $261.00 I paid to have my taxes done with them, that I expected much better service than what I received. I was waiting at the front for them to print the forms, she walked up and tossed them on the counter and as she walked off said, "here is your forms. " thanks h&r block... Won't use you again and will tell everyone I meet about the poor service.

• Fo
              Former BlockHead Mar 07, 2009

If I were you, I would talk to the District Manager and ask for a refund for at least the forms that the IRS said were missing, I would also ask for a discount for your time.

• Ji
              Jinack Mar 09, 2009

I agree: Poor customer service from one employee or office needs to be addressed by the site manager or district manager. A partieal refund is the LEAST they should do for that poor CS.

• Ta
              Taxprep4U Mar 27, 2010

A few weeks back I had a client come in that was very unhappy and of course he had a long story about how H&R Block had screwed up his taxes and he whined and moaned about the poor service etc, etc. On that particular day, I was in a very good mood and so I listened to his story, took his information and promised to try to help. He left mad. The next day I was able to determine the problem was on his end and he came back in and I helped him amended his return.

He was very apologetic and repeatedly apologized for his prior behavior. I told him not to worry about it as tax time is always a tense time. He will likely return next year.

I suspect your tax pro was not having the best day or may have needed additional training in customer service as well return assembly. In either case, please try to remember we are human and do make mistakes from time to time. I do agree with the previous responders, you should contact the District Manager.

H&R Block — h&r block emerald card

The H&R Block emerald card is a waste, I really feel bad for the people who have to do our taxes and offer...

HR Block Emerald Cardunauthorized use

I had some one I did not authorize use my emerald card mastercard to at&t totaling almost $500 and neither h&r block nor at&t is doing anything to try and have this issue resolved. I am a single mother and depend on what little bit of money I have coming in. I am not happy since this has been an ungoing thing, I have also filed a police report, and still haven't been able to resolve this issue. I do not even have an account with at&t. I do not know where I should go from here because it seems I just keep getting the run around.

• Lu
                Lucy Mar 02, 2009

What about contacting your local TV station? In Wisconsin, one of our stations have people whose job it is to resolve consumer complaints

H&R Block And HSBC Bankmisleading information regarding tax refund and direct deposit

I went in to hr block to get my taxes done - they were pretty easy and straight forward to do, I specifically told the hr block rep that I did not want any refund loans, I simply wanted it direct deposited into my checking account.

She began by stating that that would not be a problem and it would cost $236.00 to prepare, I told her that I would be back in after my last pay day and have them done. She stated she can do them on the spot without any money up front, and she would just have the irs deduct the prep fee from my refund.

Figuring that hr block was an established company that must have worked something out with the irs to help tax payers with prep fees during a economic recession, I agreed and was extremely grateful. I must have thanked her ten times over.

She mentioned that the direct deposit from the irs would go directly into my checking account within two weeks max. After the second week I google "where is my tax return" and a website for irs popped up, there I was able to check the status of my return. It reflected it was already sent to bank for direct deposit.

After calling my bank several times and no money there. I decided to open the package received from hr block to double check the routing and bank information and noticed that above my bank information was a separate set of numbers that did not belong to my account. The sheet reads a title of " irs direct deposit information" its deceiving because the first two top blocks have just numbers in it (Hsbc) they will ask you to verify that the numbers on the bottom are your routing and account number, and never mention what the set of numbers on top are for.

Those numbers turned out to be the routing numbers (you can google routing numbers to check bank name) for hsbc bank, when I called that bank I was told a refund anticipation loan check had been issued and they were deducting my fees to then redirect my tax return to my bank. Bottom line is they charged me interest, a processing fee and delayed my refund an additional 4-5 days.

I called hr block and asked where my refund was and the rep asked me to hold and came back and said your refund is at the irs, and it will be deposited in your bank account in another week or so. I then told her that I knew where my money was and that I had spoken to the hsbc bank that stated she submitted a "rac" application on my behalf to pay her fees, which she said would be deducted by the irs.

I have two small kids, I am recently laid off due to the economy affecting my industry and people are playing games with tax payers money - hr block turns the other way and played the ignorant role to all this.

Its a damn shame - our own fellow americans and established companies screwing each other to make a few hundred bucks. We will never get out of this recession if we as a working class don't start speaking up to get change happening. I have never entered any information on a website. I just hope this helps the next person to not get shafted by hr block.

• Fr
                  frankied Mar 21, 2009

that same ### just happened to my wife and i and i also have kids and im in the military i feel ### after this whole ordeal i feel as if there is something we can do

• Zo
                  Zombiwoof Mar 21, 2009

That's all sounds annoying, but the fact of the matter is that you signed disclosures and authorizations for the entire arrangement.

If you look through your packet, you'll find one that says THIS IS A LOAN or something to that effect.

They had to start doing that because too many clients refused to pay attention and just blindly signed and heard what they want to hear.

I read the same crap from the clueless every year.

H&R Block — cheating me, the customer

I have been using HR block for the fourth year now and never had any problems until this tax season. My...

H and R Blocklost refund

I filed my taxes on January 16th and was told that I would recieve them within 8-15 days. I checked the IRS site and it said they were deposited into H and R block's bank account on the 30th. However, H and R block says they never recieved it and gave us the number for the bank. HSBC states that they returned my taxes to the IRS due to a possible Identity theft cause I failed to answer a security question correctly. The IRS says they have not received my taxes back. They placed a tracer on it on February 5th and I still haven't heard anything. I would just like to know where my money is since no one seems to be able to help me. Anyone have any ideas as to what else I could try? My family is living in a homeless shelter and I was counting on that money to get us a home.

• Cr
                    Crystal Mar 05, 2009

I'm going thru the same thing with hsbc. They told me that they were going to return the money back to the irs and the irs would then send me a paper refund check. This was weeks ago and I still don't have my money.

H&R Block — unauthorized charges

I went to H&R Block this year to file my taxes because I really needed the money! I wanted the 1 to 2 day...

H & R Block — advance line of credit

My husband and I filed our taxes @ hr block. We got our taxes and about 2weeks later I checked our card. And...

H&R Block — tax rip off

At first I went online to HR Blocks Tax Cut the one that they created cause it was cheaper and i didnt have...

H&R Block — they are liars

The H&R block office in Clearlake is a joke. When I went into their officce to get the loan I used my pay...

H&R Blockcheating you out of money

I went to get my taxes filed the other day and decided to use H&R Block since it was right across the street from my home. 10 years ago I used them and got cheated out of $1500. Thinking this couldn't happen again I decided to go. The lady there did not ask me about any deductions I might of had or a receipt from daycare that I normally provide showing what I paid through the year. She did not explain everything correctly! I was totally confused. So I just told her I would re-think this before we went any further. Also that $300 fee was not what I wanted to pay her either. She told me I would get back $1, 662 and I ended up going down the street and got back $2, 856. So H&R Block will NEVER EVER get my business!!! Bunch of idiots working there!

• Mi
                      Michael Feb 28, 2009

I went in to HR Block to get my taxes done - they were pretty easy and straight forward to do, I SPECIFICALLY TOLD THE HR BLOCK REP that I did not want any refund loans, I simply wanted it direct deposited into my checking account.

She began by stating that that would not be a problem and it would cost $236.00 to prepare, I told her that I would be back in after my last pay day and have them done. She stated she can do them on the spot without any money up front, and she would just have the IRS deduct the prep fee from my refund.

Figuring that HR Block was an established company that must have worked something out with the IRS to help tax payers with Prep fees during a economic recession, I agreed and was extremely grateful. I must have thanked her ten times over.

She mentioned that the direct deposit from the IRs would go directly into my checking account within two weeks max. After the second week I Google "where is my tax return" and a website for IRS popped up, there I was able to check the status of my return. It reflected it was already sent to bank for direct deposit.

After calling my bank several times and no money there. I decided to open the package received from HR Block to double check the routing and bank information and noticed that above my bank information was a separate set of numbers that did not belong to my account. The sheet reads a title of " IRS DIRECT DEPOSIT INFORMATION" its deceiving because the first two top blocks have just numbers in it (HSBC) they will ask you to verify that the numbers on the bottom are your routing and account number, and never mention what the set of numbers on top are for.

Those numbers turned out to be the routing numbers ( You can google routing numbers to check bank name) for HSBC bank, when I called that bank I was told a refund anticipation loan check had been issued and they were deducting my fees to then redirect my tax return to my bank. Bottom line is they charged me interest, a processing fee and delayed my refund an additional 4-5 days.

I called HR Block and asked where my refund was and the Rep asked me to hold and came back and said your refund is at the IRS, and it will be deposited in your bank account in another week or so. I then told her that I knew where my money was and that I had spoken to the HSBC bank that stated she submitted a "RAC" application on my behalf to pay her fees, which she said would be deducted by the IRS.

I have two small kids, I am recently laid off due to the economy affecting my industry and people are playing games with tax payers money - HR Block turns the other way and played the ignorant role to all this.

Its a damn shame - Our own fellow Americans and established companies screwing each other to make a few hundred bucks. We will never get out of this recession if we as a working class don't start speaking up to get change happening. I have never entered any information on a website. I just hope this helps the next person to get shafted by HR Block.