H&R Blockerrors on taxes and fees too high!

Me and my fiance both had our taxes done at h&r block this year. They weren't too terribly complicated but our filing fees turned out to be $249 and $285!! We are single and make under $60K per year! Also, they both had errors on them. We received letters from the IRS that they were adjusting our refunds due to miscalculations on the part of our preparer! In addition to that, I filed mine electronically which was an additional $30, my fiance mailed his. He received his check in exactly 15 days and I am still waiting!!! We will NEVER use H&R Block again and urge others not to either. Next year we will use turbo tax and do it ourselves!!!

• Ta
    Taxprep4U Mar 27, 2010

Why were your returns adjusted? Were you subject to a refund offset? That would explain the delay in your receiving your refund. H&R Block has no control over that.

Your fees are not based on your filing status or on your income level.

They are based on the complexity of your return.

You were not charged an additional $30 for e-filing. The extra $30 was because your boyfriend paid H&R Block up front, while you elected to have your preparation fee withheld.
    HSBC charges you for that service. I always encourage people to pay upfront. It is cheaper and there is one entity less between the client and his/her refund, but roughly half of H&R Block's clients can't manage their money, and frankly would not be able to file were it not for HSBC.

Turbo Tax is a great program, but it assumes a certain level of knowledge especially when you have more than a simple 1040EZ return. My best clients are the ones that "do it ourselves", then a couple years latter get an IRS letter audit demanding back taxes, penalty and interest.

Good Luck!