Fifth Third Bank / 53.com Logo

Fifth Third Bank / 53.com

Having problems with Fifth Third Bank / 53.com?

+1 866 671 5353 (Customer Service)
+1 513 579 5353 (International)
+1 800 972 3030 (Personal)
+1 877 534 2264 (Business)
+1 866 475 0729 (Commercial)
+1 800 782 0279 (Lost & Stolen)
+1 866 351 5353 (Home Loan Or Refinance)
+1 866 531 4249 (Open A New Account)
38 Fountain Square Plaza

For All Other Accounts
Fifth Third Bank, 5050 Kingsley Dr., MD β„– 1MOCOP, Cincinnati, OH 45263

Complaints & Reviews

terrible customer service!

As an excellent Fifth Third customer, with no late payments, excellent credit history and score, I'm now...

failed to cancel credit card and accumulated fees!

Created Credit Card Error then Failed to robustly close/cancel credit card - then abuse starts In Oct-2007 Fifth Third bank failed to mail billing payment invoices on a credit card I had just opened. This resulted in late fees. I went to the local branch and the Fifth Third representative canceled the account for me, but the main office failed to execute and complete the closure. Over the next 4 months charges and late fees continued even though the account was canceled.

Fifth Third turned the account over to their internal collections and the calls began. The collections representative refused to hear that their office had created the problem and was working to correct it however the main office failed to close the account and began a run of abuse.

02Feb2008 - three phones calls progressively more abusive. I went to the local 5/3 branch and worked with the representative to get the account resolved one more time - which he did professionally and politely. 4 hours later the 5/3 collections called again and began yelling and cursing me as I attempted to politely explain that their branch office was resolving the issue.

5/3rd collections: [protected] 5/3 collections rep John 04feb08 1155am - he refuses to give his extension number so I can call him back. He also refuses to call the main office or any other 5/3rd representative to check on the problem. He refuses to hear the results of their own branches review of the issue. He is apparently not the person that called Saturday. He did confess, on the phone that they use yelling and cursing and do not apologize for it.

5/3rd main office customer service: Diane ext 65414 at 1147am 04feb08. Gave me the number of the 5/3rd collections. She also refused to assist in resolving the issue. Similarly, would not apologize for the abusive treatment and reported that this is accepted policy of the bank – however 5/3 knowingly partitions the two offices (collections and banking) for efficiency.

Meanwhile the collections continue to call my wife, who has medical problems, and progress the abusive calls.

An email was sent from the customer rep at the local branch, who is attempting to correct the issue, this is ignored by the rest of 5/3 management and collections even though their banking records (Which the rep gave a copy to me) clearly show they have an account error.

Such abuse and unprofessional behavior as never experienced before. And that 5/3 reps and management actually feel that this is appropriate behavior. Furthermore, they refused to help or acknowledge that their system has an error even though their own branch rep demonstrated it clearly. He had to work through their convoluted system by himself. If there were not that ONE person in all of 5/3 who listened, I would be in dire straights.

My lawyer, acknowledging that 5/3 is an unprofessional company, recommended that I move my accounts to another bank to avoid retribution. They are that bad as to try to further abuse me for proving them wrong.

• De
    december79 Feb 24, 2011

There is no way any collections rep at 5/3 bank would yell and curse at you, thier calls are recorded and montiored by supervisors and the supervisors work right with them. Besides you would get statements and letters, then auto dialer calls YOU WOULD KNOW IF YOU WERE PAST DUE before any collections rep would call you. Stop making excuces for debt you have not paid.

bogus fees added to mortgage payoff!

As a REALTOR, I was asked to help a client work out a short sale on her home, after she lost her job. The 1st mortgage was thru 5/3 and the 2nd was thru PNC. I spoke to 5/3 and they agreed to let me handle the account for her and began conferring with me. We aggressively marketed the property and received an offer in less than 3 months, in which 5/3 would be paid off including the fees, penalty and interest and the 2nd would get about half of their payoff. PNC agreed to this, since they had an ex-husband to go to collect the rest of their money from. We had everything in order and was waiting for the final payoff from 5/3. They managed to drag their feet for another 2 weeks until their was 1 day left until the closing. The prospective buyer had inspections done and had to have utilities turned on to do so. The day before the closing, an employee of 5/3 strategically emailed me the final payoff and it was over $7200.00 more than the payoff that had been given to both me and the 2nd mortgage co. !! Since they had refused to give me anything in writing the entire time I had the property listed, I had no recourse. They were already going to get COMPLETE PAYOFF PLUS ABOUT $4500.00 AND THAT WASNT ENOUGH. They claimed the excess fees were attorney fees, however, it is over a month later and they still have not served papers to the owner, nor is there any evidence that Foreclosure is in process. About a week ago,they told me to go ahead and continue to try to sell it because it wouldn't go into foreclosure for a while. I asked if it hadn't gone to foreclosure yet, what were the excess fees for. I talked to the manager of the loss mitigation dept, after much ado, and he said he would make sure someone didn't make a mistake. I have yet to hear from him.

THE END RESULT:

1.the house is sitting empty and un-winterized.
2.The seller is going to file bankruptcy.
3.The prospective buyer (single parent of 2) found out 3 days b4 Christmas that her and her 2 kids were NOT getting the house they had anticipated and are now out several hundred dollars. 4.Both the buyers agent and I wasted a lot of time and effort to find out that Fifth Thirds' staff are LIARS, THIEVES, and flat out CRIMINAL.

ALL REALTORS AND 5TH3RD MORTGAGE CUSTOMERS BEWARE: DON'T EXPECT THEM TO CARRY THRU WITH ANYTHING THEY SAY. GET IT IN WRITING AND THEN HOLD YOUR BREATH. FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS SITE AND MANY OTHERS, THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH ROBBERY!!!

• Pa
    Pauline Traverse Jan 30, 2008

I agree with your assessment of 5/3 professionalism and follow through. I had a mortgage with them and after falling behind in ayments due to medical leave from work- my home went into foreclosure. I wanted to work with them and they said - on a number of occasions when I called that they were reviewing my file. In the end they NEVER contacted me to set up a repay agreement or loan modification and ultimately I lost my home. Pass along to your prospective buyer that 5/3 is crap and not to EVER use them. They don't care about the family applying for the mortgage - all they want is to make the money even when it is not there.

Ron Feb 15, 2008

We're doing a short sale, or so I thought. It seemed to be going along in the disfunctional way we thought it would...but that was o.k. and expected. In the end, when we thought we had it all worked out, boom...it's time to make the sellers life a living hell. I'm not going to go into details but take my word for it they'll find a way to make it "not work". Having delt with them for a few weeks I find it hard to believe they can function at all. Want to complain about it? Hey, maybe go to someone in charge who can "really" make things happen? Good luck. You'll never get to that person. It will take you hours on the phone just trying to get some meaningful help. The people at the top don't want to hear from you. In fact, they so much "don't" want to hear your problems they don't even give their phone operators access to their office. The only way you're going to get to them is to parachute in!

• Sh
    sharmalar Aug 17, 2009

This bank is screwing me on my auto loan. I am unable to talk to anyone. The operators send me in circles and ultimately I end up right where I left off...no where. They tell me three different things at any given moment. They will not give me a pay-off amount. They wont deposit my checks for weeks at a time. I found a fifth third bank in roswell, georgia and plan on visiting there in person. Maybe that will help but I doubt it.

• Sh
    sharmich Oct 05, 2009

Working for an agent who's buyer is using Fith Third for Mortgage...file has been in underwriting for "3 weeks"...will tell all REALTORS to stay away from this company.

robdis7 Jul 13, 2011

Still in 2011 things have not changed. I am 90 days into being in contract and still have not closed on the home, and 5/3 just wanted there 3rd extension. It seems like they don't do there job until a day or two before closing and come up with something they missed and need right now or something I have already given them and need it againg because they first time it was misplaced. This has been the most frustrating experience and I wouldn't ever recommend anyone to do business with them. If I didn't have so much time invested in it, I would tell them to stick it!

stealing money through overdraft fees!

I have a Fifth Third Student Checking account with them, and once I went only $7.70 over my current balance. Within an hour of discovering it, I had brought my account to $0.05 in the black. However, I checked my balance the next day and found that I was $32.95 in the red because of an overdraft charge! I anticipated that, so it didn't bother me too much at the time. However, my paycheck was deposited today and I found out that they had assessed me a total of $103 in overdraft charges. They took my whole paycheck and still left me $3 in overdraft. I called them and they say if I put the $3 in today that I won't be assessed any further fees. If they do assess me again, there will be a fresh complaint on here and a call to the Better Business Bureau.

Jaime May 23, 2008

I have been dealing with issues with Fifth Third for months now, as so has my father. I have been with them for over 5 years now, and they treat you like crap. On the 20th I was overdraw by .36 cents and got charged $33.00 for it. Though in their rules and regulations is clearly states that you have 3 DAYS to pay them back without any more charges being done, on the 22nd I get charged another $24 DAILY OVERDRAFT FEE! The same just happened to my father last week. Of course, as him being a male, when he called to tell them that he has the print out of their rules on there, stating that you do have the three days before charges apply, he gets them reversed. I call and do the same this morning, and I am told that's not correct. That I WAS IN THE WRONG! Two weeks prior I get almost $300 overdraw fees taken out of my acct. Though I kept putting money in. They were saying that the cahrges wern't taken out until Midnight, and that was from the day before, so thats why my money keeps being taken out. Though it says that you are only suppose to be charged a $6 fee per day, I was getting $24 per day. When I call, or go down to the bank, they tell me that my online checking means nothing, that I have to call them to see. I specifically asked the girl, that since I'm talking to her, ARE THERE ANY MORE CHARGES PENDING? She tells me NO! But, of course, I get charged the next DAY! I get on the phone again, and they tell me to check my online checking from now on so I can see. I was speechless, due to them just telling me less than 24 hrs prior, that i have to call THEM to see. They are the ABSOLUTE worst bank I have ever had. The only reason I had them in the first place is b/c they took over our small intown bank. I will be taking my money out of their bank and never deal with the rude harsh condesending people again. The way our economy is now, they should be helping people. Not robbing people.

• Aj
    A. Jones May 31, 2008

I have so many complaints about 5/3rd there is not enough room to get them all in. The most recent is, I had a $3.10 charge on my account which caused a $33 charge. Well I disputed the charge and got reimbursed by vendor. I talked with the manager of the bank and he said when it was actually put back in my account I would get the $33 back. Okay that was done on the 19th and it is now the 31rst. Not only that I actually took him at his word and added it into my balance, which I should not have because it caused my account to be overdrawn. I was expecting him to do what he said and put in our account. So by him not giving us back what was ours it cost me $198. When I called the 800 number to ask about it, she stated that "because the $3.10 did not cause our account to be overdrawn she did not know if I would even get the charge back" How does that make sense, if I never would of been charged incorectly for the $3.10 I would of never received the $33 charge. This bank is full of theives and when you catch them doing something wrong they will not live up to it. Do you know they actually told me it was against the law to tell me how a check I wrote to someone (who also banks at 5/3) was cashed? I was disputing it because it was post dated, the teller actually took the check, checked my account, seen I had a deposit posting to cover it and cashed it. However then they come back through and charged me $396 in overdraft fees for that check. If they cashed it knowing I did not have the money in my account at that moment because they seen the deposit how is it my fault? Of course they sent the check back because I did not have the money to cover the check and the $396 in fees. What can I do?

poor customer service!

We have been customers for at least 10 years and have not missed a payment or deadline. I called on November...

lost funds, stollen money

Fifth third can't even handle basic math. They made a mistake with a deposit (put it in someone...

car payment.. being screwed over

I have never made late payment on my acct.. last month I tried to refinance and made an appointment to meet at a branch at 11 am on a Saturday. I was told not to send my payment because we were refinancing. I had to drive an hour away to go to the appt and when I got there I was turned away because they "didn't have time" to help me before they closed at 12. I tried to contact the woman I had been dealing with over the phone and none of my calls were returned. I ended up mailing my payment late because I couldn't resolve anything. In my car payment book it shows that my payment is counted late if it's received on or after the 14th and I have about a $8 late fee. I got a letter on Oct. 17th that was dated for the 12th saying that my payment was late and that I owed them $16 in late charges (my actual payment cleared my bank on the 14th.) I sent a letter this month with a check that included the $8 - not the $16 and told them the reason my payment was late was their own fault. I sent this month's payment on the 2nd... and now here it is the 13th and in one day my payment will be late again.. I've never had a payment take this long to clear. The payment center is only one state away and every month it's taken 2-3 days for my check to clear after sending it. So, why hasn't it cleared after 11 days now? I have a feeling they're holding my payment to make it late again this month because I tried to stand up for myself by sending them a letter that wasn't even nasty... Talk about great customer service.

• Im
    Ima Banker Nov 17, 2007

All fees due to bank error can be reversed with proof. It is company policy. No bank delays a payment as retaliation.That is absurd.
    As with many larger companies, payments can be delayed due to MAIL time.

Many clients have chosen to automate their payments to avoid this. Nothing is fool proof in this day and age. Technology isn't perfect, nor are humans - at ANY company. This can easily be resolved.
    Advise to all... make your loan payments on time. No matter what you are told. The best person to protect you - is YOU.

• Th
    Thomas Stoll Dec 22, 2007

Never ever bank with Fee Third Bank and Fraud company! If you have a mortgage or car loan, Refinance with another lender. If you have an account close it. If someone tries to pay you with a Fifth Third check don't accept it. "This can easily be resolved.".. yeah, right. if you believe this I have some Enron stock I can sell you cheap. I would rather get a loan from Al Capone. They will Fee Fee Fee you until they take every penny they can and then charge 2/3rd's more in fees! They have an awful reputation in Cincinnati.

fees charged

I am a small business owner and an employee accidentally charged a customer $2702.70 instead of $2.70. The customer contacted the number on their card right after the transaction occurred and was told it would be taken care of. As the merchant I was unaware of the charge until after we had settled out that evening and contacted my bank rep. the next day and was told to doa refund so at 2:00 a.m. I was trying to do a refund and did not have all of the numbers on the card to complete it. I called the customer the next day and offered to give them a check to deposit in their account so they would not be over drawn. The customer declined based on the banks advice to file a dispute and told me the bank would be sending me the form to sign and return. I checked our mail each day and never received the form. I told the customer this on Sunday evening (1 week after transaction occurred) Monday I was contacted by the customers wife and called their bank to talk to Teresa. She tells me they let them use their card in the mean time and have racked up over $1200 in overdraft and nsf fees and are expecting me to pay for the fees and that she has gone above her duty and regional will not let them remove the fees. I ask to talk to someone from regional and she tells me they won't talk to me and the person I need is out of the office on this day. By now I am furious and feel like someone from 5/3 is trying to scam me out of money I do not have. I went and did a refund for the full amount and gave the customer a copy. The next day thew customer contacts me and says their basnk wants me to give her cash because the credit didn't go through. I told her I can't because I've already done the refund and I contact my bank rep that tells me her bank (5/3) has to go in get the money and deposit it in to her account. The last thing I heard 2 days ago was Teresa was unaware of this and thought it wouls go in automatically and she would have to check on it.

• Bj
    b.j. Dec 29, 2007

I deposited a check of 200 dollars (in cash) at a 5/3 branch and was told that it would immediately be counted as "Availably Balance". We we where already cutting it close on our balance, but the$200 dollars would leave us breathing room. I then went to the gas station, got gas then went home and checked my Internet banking. The $200 deposit had posted along with the $39.00 in gas. I had receipts with the times of the deposit and gas purchase. Two days later, I'm charged $33.00 for the overdraft of the gas purchase because fifth third posted the gas purchase before the cash deposit. I called customer service explaining that I had proof of the time on the receipt only to hear that deposits go through at the end of the day. Do Not Bank With Fifth Third!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodney Feb 27, 2008

I can't stand 53rd..I had my money in my acoount to cover my check...I went in and deposited another chesck..A few days latter I was called about an overdraft...They told me that it takes 24 hours for my check to post...I never heard of it..I had over 1000.00 in my acount and deposited 200.00 with a check...My checks to clear were a total of 1120.00.They said you are only available 100.00 at that momement and it takes 24hours for the other to clear.They said there policy changed last year...They said if you deposit a payrol check of 500.00...you are only allowed to use your card for 100.00 and if you go over you will be charged overpayment fee..I hate 53rd..

• Mo
    momof6 Apr 22, 2009

I had given my attorney a check for 300.00 on a friday, monday I looked at my account online, all of my transactions had cleared and I was 61.00 short to cover the 300.00 check I had written. On tuesday, 5/3rd reverses all of my previous transactions that had cleared and post the 300.00 check then charges me overdraft fees of 296.00. When I called to complain the girl tells me that it is their right to process transactions the way they want and I signed the agreement when I opened my account. I'm closing my account today, and if they ever read this then, I HOPE YOUR BANK FAILS!!! Mr. President, DO NOT BAIL THEM OUT!!! LET THEM FAIL!!! THEY DESERVE IT!!!

• Pu
    putter Apr 19, 2010

Yes fifth Third does all the above and more!!
    And the sad thing is all the banks do!!
    Chase is the worst!!!
    They claim they dont make a profit yet charge you high
    interest loans but pay 1% on savings accounts??
    They are a legal scam!!!

• Pu
    putter Apr 19, 2010

Also I might add this:
    When I married my hubby and tried to add him to my checking account
    they told us he had to have a credit card or they could not add him.
    I went on the other side of town to a 53rd there and they said they had
    never heard of such practices to add someone to a checking account.
    I hate banks and when will the pres start looking out for the hard working middle class??
    These banks are disgusting and predatory and have helped to destroy the middle class.
    Now we just wait till my husbands direct deposit goes thru and then withdraw
    all our money and use cash all week.We avoid using our debit card like the plague!!
    I am considering going back to paper checks and just pay $3 to cash it at the walmart next
    door to 53rd.Its far cheaper then the thousands of dollars they have ripped me since I opened my account in 1993.And if you think they are bad, Huntington and Chase are worse!! Its one big nightmare till they change some laws to protect us consumers!!

harassing calls!

I have never ever dealt with a company that their collection agency was based in the PHILLIPIANS!!! In...

worst bank ever!

This bank is the worst bank ever. They go out of their way to find opportunities to charge overdraft fees. ...

customer service is harassing me!!!

I am being harassed by Fifth Third bank. They are calling 5-6 times a day and my truck payment isn't even late!! I received a called yesterday on Labor Day and spoke to a non english speaking witch. I tried to ask a question about why I am being called so much and late into the night (8:00-9:00pm). She immediately interrupted me, I told her how rude it is to interrupt and the witch hung up. I called the customer service number back immediately and received a recording saying the office was closed for Labor Day....they called me, it wasn't closed. Today I called the company and asked to speak to a Supervisor, I was told they were All in a meeting and someone would call me back, that never happened. 6 hours later and 3 more harassing phone calls later I received yet another call from a non-English speaking rep. I asked to speak to a supervisor, She refused me, saying she could help me. I told her no thanks and I need to speak to a supervisor. She refused 2 more times then finally transferred me to a supervisor. A non English speaking woman got on the phone, I asked if she was a supervisor, she said Yes. I told her I have a complaint about yesterday's customer service, she interrupted me almost immediately. I told her that was one of my complaints. Our conversation if you can call it a conversation consisted of me trying to talk and her interrupting me. I told her I wanted to speak to whoever is over her and she refused. She stated it was none of her supervisors business. I told her I was being harassed with all of the phone calls when my payment is not late. She kept saying so what, it was not harassment and the phone calls would continue. This went on for several minutes, me telling her to put her supervisor on the phone. I eventually gave up, called her a F-ing (B) witch and hung up. I am looking into refinancing my truck note to get away from this bank. I am beyond pissed. Bad, Terrible customer service

• Sc
    scscsc Sep 14, 2007

I too am being harrassed every month for my car payment + the next month's car payment. I am on time every month and I even pay extra. Yet, I am getting calls every hour sometimes for DAYS at work and at home. Thank GOD they do not have my cell.

I just argued with the guy at 5/3 to STOP THE CALLS... and he hung up on me.

Stay AWAY from 5/3 bank. I am so furious... i cannot wait to transfer this loan

bank card scam!

Hellooo!! I have a 5/3rd debit/credit card with no overdraft protection of $500 because I have never used...

fift third bank is a rip off!

I had overdraft protection on my account. Some how it was overdrawn by $1.45 they charged $6.00 a day fee on...

poor customer service!

I am a new customer to 5th 3rd...never again! My finace and I bought a Ford Explorer in march of 07. It wa...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices