Menu
Family Dollar
reviews & complaints

Family Dollar
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1962 complaints
81 resolved 1881 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Family Dollar. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
L
8:44 am EST

Family Dollar - Selling expired food

On February 12, 2012 I went to the family dollars located at 3544 Covington Pike Memphis, TN to purchase a bag a chips and box of cereal. Once I got home I realized that I was sold a box of expired Honey Nut Cheerios with an expiration date of December, 25 2021. This is beyond ridiculous and disgusting.

I’m sure this a health violation and there is more expired food that is being sold at this store.

This location has poor management and the store is always in Disarray. It’s sad that I have travel to a different neighborhood in order to have a better experience.

I want a refund for my entire purchase.

Desired outcome: I want a refund on my entire purchase. I want someone from the health department to inspect this store.

Feb 13, 2022 2:42 pm EST

This actually isn't a health violation. The only reason most retailers don't sell expired food is because the manufacturer doesn't want it sold because the taste might have changed. It's not even a requirement that food products have expiration dates on them to begin with. You can ask the health department to inspect this location, but unless the local municipality has requirements on freshness it won't go anywhere occasionally local municipality have requirements on milk and eggs but that it.

D
9:50 am EST

Family Dollar - Worker safety keep mantience up and faulty security camera issues.

district managers really care about the workers they higher after all its about production and staying on top on everything possible that can go wrong with the stores they put people in to work expecting nothing more but a good work environment. But when the tell corporate over and over and nothing gets done who is truly at fault here. Few stores ive walked into family dollar stores. where the sensors just kept the doors opening and closing due to low maintenance. Faulty Camera issues which could result and serious issues with crimes that could happen and hash cold weather conditions getting workers and customers sick door to the door issues and a i mentioned. the blame goes on corporate no one else .

Desired outcome: Fix your Store issues

J
9:22 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Family Dollar - Managers and Asst. managers

Greensburg, KY. As a customer I have noticed several times the managers are talking to other employees about other employees. Talking badly about them, how they work or don't work and wanting or expecting confirmation on their thoughts. This makes for a very toxic work environment. Pitting one employee against the other. I will stop shopping at the Greensburg, KY store simply because I've seen it happen every single time I've been in there.

Today, there was a manager and an asst. manager behind the counter talking about an employee while this employee was trying to put out stock and had the help of another asst. manager cleaning up a spill. Over the intercom were not one, but both of the managers behind the counter, calling for the one employee that was putting out stock and cleaning up a spill to come up front to wait on a customer. It was obvious that both the employees were very busy trying to clean up the spill while the ones behind the counter were doing nothing. Greensburg, KY Family Dollar has become a toxic place to be. There is no respect between the managers and employees.

Desired outcome: The manager of Family Dollar should be made aware of the what the Dollar Tree manager is doing during her absence from the Greensburg, KY store.

K
6:38 pm EST

Family Dollar - Closed during business hours

It is 6:33 on a Monday night. I am sitting outside waiting for the sign on the door that says "closed for lunch be back in half hour". Now I understand things have been tough and weird the last couple years. And I've seen plenty of staffing issues everywhere including the store. But to take a half-hour lunch during the two-hour time when everybody is running their errands on the way home from work is absolutely uncool. There are seven Vehicles sitting out here with me. It has been longer than a half hour. I shop here every day and I love the staff but tonight I am not happy

Desired outcome: How about not closing during business hours?

Feb 07, 2022 10:02 pm EST

Exactly how horrible of a customer are you that a half hour lunch break is unreasonable when likely the only employee is the store manager who works 80+hours a week. Try and realize how pathetic your complaint is and how poor you are considering you can't afford to shop at a real store.

M
4:25 am EST

Family Dollar - Rude Cashier

On February 05,20200 at about 9:30 am, I went into Family Dollar to pick up somethings for the house. When I walked into the store no one was at the front, customers were walking around so I got a basket and began my shopping. I got the things I needed plus other deals I found in the store. Well, when I made it to the register the cashier was not friendly so I spoke to her thinking that would help. Was I wrong? She began to talk with other customers in the line very loud with no regards to a paying customer and law enforcement officer. I put my number in to save on the items I had bought. While I was doing this she stepped away from the register and began to have a whole conversation with someone else. When she stepped back to the register, I asked did my coupons come off. She looked at and said we i have nothing to do with that. I have asked this question before, and the cashier always answered the question. So asked her again. She took a deep and told me again I dont have nothing to do with no coupons. So, I paid for my items and stepped to the side and pulled up the app, to show. When she had finished with other customers in line, I tried to show my coupon list just waked by saying people and these coupons. This made me very upset, so I left the store. I will not be going back for while I will just drive five minutes down road for better service.

Desired outcome: I don't think anything will be done. Just wanted to let someone know about how customers are treated that spend their hard-earned money .

C
7:26 pm EST

Family Dollar - Signage says things on sale they say they are not.

Went to family dollar 1201 foster ave 15205. Signage said 3 coke 2 liters for 4 dollars so I grabbed 3 cokes. They rung up at almost 9 dollars asked why they weren’t on sale, clerk states that sale starts next week. I asked why signs were already up and she just said it starts next week. She was very rude about it. Why have signs up and not offer the sale price. I will never shop there again.

Feb 06, 2022 7:06 am EST

Policy is to put signs up Saturday night so they are already up Sunday morning. Coke is an item that is not authorized for price overrides. This is the official policy of Family Dollar.

F
4:27 pm EST

Family Dollar - Employee customer service

It's been more that 2 years this happened to me at Family Dollar. As I walked into the store I was told by a cashier that I had to leave my backpack with them. So I did. I did my shopping paid and asked for my backpack. They inform me that they gave it to the guy I came in with. I had walked in alone. I became very upset. They treated me as if I had done something wrong. They were rude unapologetic and just brush me off. I insisted on speaking to a manager. When I spoke to the manager. He insisted that they gave it to me after viewing the security tape. I asked to see it and it was not me. He acknowledge it wasn't me and gave me a number to call. I was so upset I couldn't even think straight so I left. I tried many times calling that number. Left messages. Never got through to anyone and nobody ever called me back. Well the other day I walked in to Family Dollar and was told I had to leave my backpack with them again. I said no so the cashier told me I could not shop there. I know nothing will be done about my bad experience. I will never shop there again. The way they treat people is not acceptable. I can understand about having to leave my backpack, but your asking people to leave their things with people with no integrity.

Desired outcome: If your gonna ask people to leave their bag. You should at least give them some sort of ticket, but when I could not get a hold of anybody or get a call back I realized they couldn't care any less since to them I was a nobody

Feb 05, 2022 6:00 pm EST

Family Dollar doesn't have a policy that customers must leave their bags at the door. Just ignore anyone who tells you that you are required to leave your bag at the front door and keep it with you. There is nothing illegal about shopping with a bag.

M
10:16 am EST

Family Dollar - Very Bad Service From Manager And Employee

The managers are very disrespectful

the employees are also mean and rude to all customers

it is not fair that people go in this location and treated like trash

we work hard for what we spend

so why not show a little compassion

people sh0uld be able to walk in a location and be greeted

not attack in any way

i am very disappointed

it make me not want to show at any of these store chains

Desired outcome: 703 LOCATION NEEDS TO BE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICEOR BETTER WORKERS

Feb 05, 2022 3:54 pm EST

Every employee everywhere receives a dozen of these complaints a week and an overwhelming majority of the time it is proven that the customer is lying. I use to work with a guy who would be the truest embodiment of Mr. Roger's and even he got dozens of complaints a week.

R
4:50 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

family dollar store # 09195 117 E State St. Trenton, NJ 02/01/2022 12:56pm Upon entering the store today the first thing I noticed was a boarded up door from a recent break-in (info. that I received from Family Dollar employee) After getting my items I proceeded to stand in a very long line with only 1 cashier While standing in line 2 men entered...

E
3:04 pm EST

Family Dollar - Store manager rude and not understanding

2/1/2022 1:30pm

I walked into store as a customer was walking out, the buzzer went off. The cashier said it wasnt the customer goning out was not the problem. Cashier said u must have a new billfold I said no I dont. Manager asked can they check bags when I leave and I said ok, then she asked to check my purse and I said no that its against the law and this was this was the 2 time this happen to me. The first time I took my neighbor to this store, didnt buy anything nor did I have my purse. The employee followed me and my neighbor to my car. I handle her my purse to check and she said for me to get out of store and never came back. What is going on. There are previous reports of this store doing this and at this

Store u cannot keep employees, at least 5 people have quit within the last 6 mos. I dont really think u will do anything but this was uncalled for. 2250 e. William st. Decatur, il

3:19 pm EST

Family Dollar - Hourly associate working through vacation PTO

This is actually a question. I'm an hourly non-exempt manager at a Family Dollar who is currently using my last 40 hours of PTO this week before it expires. The salaried exempt manager at a nearby store messaged me today cause she has to work 14 hour days every day this week for a total work week of 98 hours wanting to see if I can take a couple of days this week to let her have a little time off, unknowing I was already on vacation. I offered that if I'm allowed to be keep my 40 hours vacation plus whatever hours I work I'd be willing to cover some shifts. The DM in Training says it's not allowed, but I tend not to trust people to know what they are talking about until they can back it up or I find the information myself. All I see in the handbook is "PTO will not count as hours worked for the purpose of determining overtime pay, unless required by state law". I kind of think they wouldn't mention that unless you could earn both vacation pay and hours worked pay. I want to help her out but I don't want to be out any money in the process.

Desired outcome: Detailed information easily accessible to all.

N
2:05 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Store #9431 is nasty. Parking lot has trash in it, dumpster area has broken containers and oil all over the ground. Inside the store has several aisles with boxes of products blocking the aisle and products. Garbage bags full of trash near the cashier area. Someone really needs to do a Undercover Boss deal at this store. Customers will go to another store before shopping there. It may cost your corporate some money.

W
1:55 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went into family dollar at the 710 kenmore ave location in buffalo ny. The cashier looked like she was indian or mexican and she told me your gay. I think they need to hire another cashier. Im not gay i am black and the cashier has been extremely rude. The cashier could have been the manager . ps Wayne Everson

P
4:19 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This store location at 825 E. Main st in Raymond, MS has newly opened in past three months and has terrible employees (cashiers) and the worst opening hours. The first complaint is with it not opening until 9am!!! All the stores in this town open at 7am, but I guess thats too much to ask from the lazy employees. The other complaint is with the staff. The...

R
7:03 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to the 31st S 35th West store I am a regular at and spend a time of money at last night. The air quality was 134. I walked from my house and was having a hard time breathing. The black woman at the register screamed at me throughout the store that I needed a mask. I told her as per the Salt lake county health order I am exempt. I have a handicapped...

B
6:47 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have COPD, jay store manager at 1816 Nicolete Ave. will not let me shop when every other store does, even though I cannot wear a mask. I will get a lawyer and sue you if this issue cannot be resolved, and I would like to resolve this, rather than sue you. my phone number is [protected] please call me. Also the prices are different from the tags in which...

G
3:51 pm EST

Family Dollar - Store Manager

There is a new store manager at the Family Dollar who is prejudice against any other race or ethnic background besides her own. I have personally have been trying to get rehired there for months now and I never get called for an interview or anything and have visited the store multiple times and she is seemingly never available. Yet, her store always need new people and is always hiring however, the only ones she hires are people who look and speak the same language she does.

I understand having a soft spot for your people but ignoring the rest and not even scheduling interviews based of my skin color violates Family Dollar "equal opportunity employer" motto. This is beyond professional like I have never been giving a chance and she has her employees lie on her behalf .
The same week I do my application and don't get a callback but the run around a young Spanish guy gets an interview and hired yet, she has no time to interview the black woman? Yeah, okay. She does not need to be a store manager if she is not giving everyone a chance to be hired and if it doesn't work out then she can do as she please but refusing right upfront is prejudice if not completely racist.

Family Dollar store #03797

Desired outcome: An interview to be hired or replace the store manager entirely.

Jan 10, 2022 8:09 pm EST

If you quit before completing your 3rd consecutive year with the company you become listed at automatically non-hireable. Did you stay for 3 full years? I will make 3 years with the company on March 10th, so even though I'm ready to give my 2 weeks notice now I'm planning on waiting till after March to retire incase I want to return or be hired at a different location or Dollar Tree instead

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On the 24th of December I was scheduled to work at 7:30 to 3 pm my manager Danielle Carter arrived at 2:30 and started helping out ringing up customers she then told me I can declare so I cud leave the assistant manager Tasia arrived at 3:00 asking me if I had cash in my draw I said yes but why didn't understand her asking me that so she began to ring up...

C
8:45 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Family Dollar - I was not paid a full final paycheck and the manager has been giving me the run around for 6 months

It was the family dollar in Atlanta metropolitan parkway. Ive contacted the manager Ms. Audrey on multiple occasions and shes been beating around the bush since August 2021. Ive worked 3 days and only had been paid for one. I left due to dangerous conditions concerning guests hanging outside of the store. I would just like to be reimbursed for my time. I have proof of everything.

Desired outcome: Reimbursement

W
3:19 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went into family dollar on hertal ave in buffalo ny The white female cashier called me gay. Im not gay that is very poor customer service. Wayne Everson

Family Dollar contacts