Direct TVrebate referals 50/50 visa cards

I responded to the Direct Tv hook-up through my daughter for a 50 dollar referal for each of us, then I refered my cousin for the same deal. We called and maile in the referal form. They are telling us now that we don't qualify because Direct Star Tv hooked us up and we were suposed to call an 866 number to get our rebates. We were not told that in the begining and it is not our fault that they sub the connecting work out to Direct Star Tv company. WE WANT OUR $50 rebate visa cards.

• De
    Debbie Nov 11, 2008

I had the same problem I am considering DIsh network This is baloney, i have a friend who is inte5rested in getting direct tv and since we got screwed by them why refer any one else I want my
    friends and our 50/50 cards

• Cv
    cvargas13 Jun 14, 2009

I had the exact same issue with directv. I reffered my freind and now we have been fighting with directv for two months over this. It is absolutely ridiculous that you are supposed to call a number that is not clear with you to start with. We were supposed to get $100 in credits each.

I am looking into filing a class action law suit against Directv for not honoring their referral program. Anyone who has been mislead by this promotion please post a complaint to this site. The more we fight then maybe we can actually get what was initially promised to us!

• Ke
    Ken Samuel Jul 23, 2009

My grandmother and I just went through the same crap! with direct tv/ directstar! I think it would be a good idea to fill a class action lawsuit! Because Direct tv seems to be notorious with cheating people on these rebates! And all of that money adds up!

• Cr
    crystal75 Jan 09, 2010

i crystal hollins too was lied to by direct star tv i was supposed to recieve 2 $50.00 visa cards and never did they lie to get u to switch over to them i had a friend refer me and we never got the referal because they said i used direct star and he used direct tv its all BULL and then they try to tell u that u have agreed to a contract so if u cancel ur direct tv u will be charged more money something has got to be done about them lying to people to get them as a costomer.

• Ih
    I HATE DIRECT TV Feb 20, 2010

I was lied to also! exact same issue! I literally just got off the phone with these guys! signme up for the lawsuit! THEIR CROOKS!

[email protected]

• My
    myra4787 May 14, 2010

I too was hoodwinked by Direct TV. I was supposed to get a $100 rebate that never happened. Its amazing how quick they can take their payments, but can't give customers their rebate.

Annie99876 May 20, 2010

I have had the EXACT same experience. We gave them the account number of the friend who referred us, all of the information, and the person said, "you will receive your $10 per month for 10 months starting in 2 to 3 billing cycles." It never happened. Now six months later they are telling me that the person who we talked to was not an "authorized dealer". There is no excuse for why we should not be getting our money. We have direct t.v. and we ordered it through a person speaking for direct t.v. How would we know who is authorized or not. WE DON'T! They have lied to us and cheated us out of our money. I want to sue also. A class action law suit. They cannot get away with this.

• Ap
    APLMARK Aug 31, 2010

Same story here, after being a customer for 6 weeks I called about the (2) $50.00 Visa gift cards. After multiple transfers, and 2 hours, I reached a supervisor who told me that there was supposed to be a code on the installation receipt that the tech left. All I had to do was call 800 966 9375 for the rebate...but oh wait, I was signed up by Direct star so I'm not eligible. I don't even know who Direct Star is, I called the number on their web site to sign up for service.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!!

• Pe
    PELLA Sep 12, 2010

Yes, direct tv is full of crap. I signed up for the service in june 2010 and was told i would get a 100 visa card when i sign, it would take 60 days to process. When i called to check status on the card, i was told that at the time i signed up, they were not offering visa cards as and incentive for signing up. I guess i just IMAGINED the promise of the visa debit card and just got the part where i signed up for the service correct. Yes, i agree, a class action lawsuit should be filed against direct tv for their misleading ads and shady business deals.

• Pi
    pissed on Sep 22, 2010

This is some crap im pissed off!!! I was checking my mail for 8 weeks and I never received my damn card! I was appalled when I called and they said that I signed up with direct star!!! What is wrong with this crap?! They are a JIp IM gonna call comcast asap!!! This is BS!!!

• Di
    directstar=HORRIBLE Oct 13, 2010

We are having the same problem with Direct Star. They are horrible. We got the run around in the beginning then was told to go to fastrebates.com and did that and applied then they proceeded to tell us that my sister account was not current and we were not able to get the gift cards because of it. It is horrible. We are so frustrated. I am going to do everything I can to get my cards, and maybe even more then what we are suppose to get! This is a big SCAM!!!

• Do
    Dodge Aspen Oct 28, 2010

Just got off the phone with these liars...Two $50 GC's that I also imagined...I'm really pissed! Greedy sonsabitches! Less than a month with this company, can't wait to see what the future holds...

• Br
    brad Nov 12, 2010

same thing happened here... promised a rebate, said we had to wait, waited, called again, said wait, waited, called again, said they have no record of or referral... this is bs!!!

• Ri
    RiverRat79 Nov 19, 2010

Same thing here!! Still waiting!! Karrie

• Bp
    bpc1 Dec 10, 2010

Same problem referred a friend suppose to get $10.00 off next 10 months for both of us. Have been calling every month regarding credit.Have been told it would take 4-6weeks, it's been 4 months. Called today states I called the wrong # to refer a friend. Told them (talked to three different people-1st person, supervisor then manager) that I have the bill in my hand that I recieved today and it states to call 1-800-462-9535, to refer a friend and they tell me that is not the correct #. I told them this is what it says on here.I told Kim-Manager about this website and I was reading the complaints to her regardingthe same issue over and over again. She didn't bother to be helpful at all and didn't careto loose a customer. Either case I was told neither one of us would not be getting the credit. I asked to disconnect my services. BC

AngelFinds Dec 23, 2010

What a nightmare Direct TV was for me. They were to be part of the AT&T pkg... and Direct at my location was the sub-contracted company for this pkg. I blame AT&T the same, as they are the company that was to offer and honor pkg price... but due to separate billing from Direct TV that NEVER hit my $99.00 plus tax- the package deal was for one year, while I pd different prices with the avg price charge for AT&T and Direct totaling over $150. In addition, they charged me for relocating out of state during my second year of service, and stated I had a two yr contract with them, NOT the one yr offer from the AT&T pkg contract.
    Oh- I never rec'd my promo credit card either, like many others, for signing up for the AT&T pkg.
    Lastly, they debited by card w/out permission, and I suppose they rec'd my credit acct number from a one time authorized pmt transaction. They did charge me for the cancel fee too.
    I so hope- they close/out of biz, class action suits fly against them... and I pray for the energy to "fight them over their lack of ethics etc", as I am disabled... and in a position to have to "pick my battles daily".
    I am glad to learn many are standing up... maybe the Atty General will get involved.
    Maybe someone with start an easy to use, online petition... I would sign it.
    My email to send site for petition, if one is started: [email protected]

JEANINE69 Dec 30, 2010

I WAS SUPOSE TO GET INSTALLED TO AND THEY MESS UP MY ORDER AND NOW I HAVE NO TV FOR ME OR MY KIDS TO WATCH CAUSE I CANCAL DISH IT MESS UP THAT U CAN MESS SOMETHING SO EASY AND MESS PEOPLE LIFE SO BAD

JEANINE69 Dec 30, 2010

I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET INSTALLED TODAY AND THEY MESS UP MY ORDER AND DIDNT GET INSTALL NOW THEIR TELLING ME I HAVE TO WAITE TILL JANUARY 5 2011 I THINK THAT SO WRONG THAT KNOW I HAVE NO TV CAUSE I CANCEL DISH NETWORK SO THAT I CAN HAVE DIRECT TV I REALLY UP SET

• Li
    LindaR from Houston Feb 20, 2011

I made the mistake of originally signing up through DirectStar TV and now I have been told that I will not receive the $50 Visa gift card and neither will the person that referred me. Direct Star TV says they have no record of my account and Direct TV will honor it! because they don't show it on my account either. I followed the instructions perfectly and have a copy of the forms. I would LOVE to be a part of the class action suit! It has been a nightmare! My bill is still no where close to what I thought I was signing up for! Linda R from Houston

Chip-n-Dale Mar 04, 2011

direct star lied mabout the stations we would recieve

• Ms
    MSL16 Mar 18, 2011

I have had similar experience with everyone above regarding not getting a referral fee. I had signed up and was referred by a friend. Upon signing up, I provided the customer service rep with my friend's account number and was told that my referral source and I would be receiving $10 per month for the next 10 months for a total of $100 each. Well, it never happen and now Direct Tv will not honor it. They claim I did not call a specific number and that I was a direct Tv customer before and therefore did not qualify for the referral rebate as a "new customer". I am an attorney and feel that their practices are deceptive and fraudulent. I am considering bringing a class action suit. Please contact me if your are interested and have had a similar experience.

Thank you.

• Mi
    mistykhillin May 06, 2011

oh my god this is a freaking joke why cant do what they say in the beginning and know they wouldnt go back and review my first call to even see what was said . Because they already knew they were wrong i was suppose to get a 100 visa and then 10 credit on bill then my bill was only suppose to be 47.00 and its freaking 67.00 I mean how can they get away with with this i was on the phone 2 and a half hours and ended up speaking with over 4 people .

• Mk
    MK Fluharty Aug 16, 2011

Wow! Same here. I ordered Direct tv and they came out and installed it. At the installation they gave me the refer-a-friend coupon that stated we would BOTH, EACH receive a $100 Visa gift card in the mail and they gave us the number to call and everything was fine up until then. I referred my mother. She called in the referral info like she was supposed to. They did tell us we might not get the cards until June (it was March when the order was placed. She received her card in May and then I waited until June to call because (surprise, surprise!) I never received mine. I was informed by the first Direct TV # I called (the number on my bill) that I was receiving my $10 per month credit for 10 months and then I told them that was NOT the promo I signed up under and they gave me the run around until someone finally gave me the Direct STAR #. I called them and they told me that they showed where it was sent out and I should receive it by the END of June. It never came and now the number you call send you thru a phone loop and you get put on hold and get to listen to elevator music until you want to scream. I have now been on hold for over 45 minutes and I am assuming the office is "closed for the day" although no message comes on to actually TELL you this. Please let me know if anyone files that class action. I am REALLY p.o'ed. [email protected]

• Hu
    Humma Aug 18, 2011

I want in the class action suit against Direct T v

JerryS.. Sep 08, 2011

Just got screwed myself!
    I actually was on directtv.com ordering, Had a problem and called the 800 # which was direct star(had no idea it wasn't direct TV). I was lied to about my bill, my installation, and my referral!
    Direct TV told me tough luck!
    even though they deal with these retailers they don't back there promises! This is bait and switch!

• Ti
    Tim J. D. Dec 09, 2011

We got screwed too!! We were swayed to change from Dish Network to Direct TV. Part of the promises included getting a $100 in visa reward cards to offset the equipment charges that we would have in switching. I was told by a Direct TV representative to go on line download the form and fill it out. After downloading the form I saw that it was a referral program. I called Direct TV back and said, "I'm not referring anyone"? how can this work for me. They assured me this was the form and to put my name and address on both sides of the form and I would get two $50 Visa cards sent to me. After 8 months I decided to call to check on the status. Now for some reason I was directed to Direct StarTV. They said my request was denied because it was fraudulent having signed both sided and wasn't referring anyone! Well No SH#T!!! I questioned that in the beginning! After an hour complaining on the phone I got nowhere with Dirett StarTV or with Direct TV. Lied to AGAIN! Nobody will help me at all! Live and learn! Please contact me if a Class Lawsuit is made against these liars! I want on the band wagon!!!

• Te
    terryn monroe Jun 12, 2012

I was promised 2 $100 Gift cards for referring a friend, one for him and one for me. They reneged on both the cards. Flat out refused to honor them. I will never refer ANYONE EVER again to Direct TV... That's actually against the law. We need a class action suit.
    Of which, I will be working on one.

Joshua Nelson Nov 27, 2014

HOW TO GET A 150$ VISA REWARD CARD AND 100$ OFF OF YOUR BILL (10$ off per month for 10 months) FOR SWITCHING TO DIRECT TV:
    I read these complaints and here is the proper way to get the aforementioned deal. What you have to do is call 1-855-567-1737 – this is the only number that works to my knowledge. Say you heard you get a Visa Reward Card for starting service, which is down to 150$, and they will confirm this is available. Then state your friend referred you and he said that you could get more money off your bill. They asked me for the friends full name – I think they are getting tougher about this because everyone is doing it, and his account number. I used a friend that I knew in the area with direct TV. Below I provided my information below, which should definitely work because two other friends of mine have done this and it worked.
    When they ask about the friend tell them the following:
    My name: Josh Nelson
    Account Number: 6229263
    Location: Rochester Area

VERY IMPORTANT - after you sign up for service, they WILL NOT send your VISA REWARD card until you submit a form requesting it. This form is found on their website under the rebate center. To get to it, login to your online account (you have to set one up first) and type in "rebate center" into the search field and it is the first item to pop up. Click on it, and a message will tell you if you're eligible for a VISA reward card and provide a link for the form needed to claim it. You have to mail this form in within 60 days of starting service or YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR REWARDS CARD!!! I sent in the form, got my card, and used it to pay my phone bill.

You definitely get free Genie upgrade, NFL Sunday ticket free and HBO, Cinemax and Stars for 3 months as well. Hope this helps.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices