Consumers Energy Logo

Consumers Energy

Having problems with Consumers Energy?

+1 800 477 5050 (General Information)
+1 800 805 0490 (Business)
+1 855 477 9027 (Landlord)
+1 517 768 3092 (International)
4000 Clay Ave. SW
Wyoming, Michigan
United States - 49548-3017

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Consumers Energy.

Complaints & Reviews

Consumers Energyillegally turned service in my name

On August of 2007 I sold my property, I received a shut off notice for the address I no longer reside at due to property sold. Received notice on 2/4/2009. Almost 2 years later. October of 2008, Consumers Energy informed me who request the service to be shut on, the actual owners that purchased my property.

For Consumers to place this in my name knowing and has record of who placed this order. That should not have occured, my name is different from whom placed the call. I'm below poverty level and this bill is not my responsibility. I had to fax over documents indicating the property was sold in 2007, is quite suspecious on how the bill arrived to me in 2009.

Customer service wait time is poor, I submitted the documents to a Stephaine, spoke with her on 2-5-09 after faxing the documents on 2-4-09. indicated they are to busy to review the documents and will get back with me in a week. For information as this, that should have been reviewed right away. I cannot afford an $190.00 bill and have my own bill for my correct resident for $189.00.

This was illegal transaction on Consumers Energy behalf and actions should be taken against this. This has been happening to innocent residents for a long time, it's unfair have this to happen.

• Jg
      JGraham May 11, 2009

There is only one source To receive Electric and Gas to my new home and its Consumers. How can you tell Me I cannot Get service when i have never in my 35 years of life had service threw you? I have a 14 and 11 year old living with me and your telling me I am responsible for a bill from my Wife that had the service on before we were married at a different address and we are not both on the Lease therefore how is it that i have to pay her bill before service is on? I can't access her bank accounts, I can't access her accounts anywhere so how am i responsible to pay them?

You tell me to get a Notarized copy of lease and come in person i did. You call me 4 days later telling me thats not good enough now.

I don't see how this is Legal?

Consumers Energy — state of mi energy draft

Beverly Woog 2259 Miller Road Metamora, MI 48455 I sent a State of Michigan Energy Draft to Consumers Energy...

Consumers Energy — on-line bill pay

Here is a copy of an email sent to Consumers Energy on 11/8/08 at 0845 MST: We've moved from Michigan...

Consumers Energypoor customer service

1) It will take at minimum 15 minutes upon calling the only number given to be forwarded to an account manager - so if you have problems you had better have at least half an hour available to wait on hold

2) I signed up for online access to my account - BIG mistake. Now I cannot receive paper bills in the mail anymore. I called customer service, after waiting for 25 minutes I was told that "our system does not currently allow online accounts to receive paper bills in the mail".

"Yes, I understand that is the way YOUR system is set up, but why can't I still receive my paper bill?"

"Sir, our system is not currently set up..."

You can see where this conversation with the so-called 'service representative' went. I currently have many online services with various companies. Discover Card, Bank of America, Charter Communications, Verizon Wireless, Western Michigan University (I attend), Chase Visa All these businesses allow me internet access to my account and send me paper bills through the mail. There is no excuse for a company the size of Consumers Energy not to do likewise.

Furthermore, there was no warning prior to sending an online payment that there would be a stop to my receiving paper bills in the mail. I feel that this in a form of business entrapments for the following two reasons:

a) Internet billing is cheap - VERY cheap - the business is already saving money by not having to post bills through the mail.
    b) Online payments are fast - and cheap - compared to check processing. In a nutshell you can save over 80% of the labor costs involved with payment processing if it is done electronically instead of having to log checks brought in and then have them deposited.

I can understand wanting to save money, but to force me to save them money by not allowing me a paper bill is unsatisfactory.

• Ri
        Richard A Wagar Oct 03, 2008

We had a power surge 0n 9/i4/08 that has cost us over $3000 in replacements, caused by a tree rubbing on the overhead wires. Our insurance has a dedctible of $250. please sent me claim form. Thanks. RA Wagar acc # [protected]

• Br
        Brenda Schulz Oct 28, 2008

ABSOLUTELY! It's a good thing that we can't switch to another Electric company out here, because Consumers would be OUT OF BUSINESS!!! I can't BELIEVE! the awful, awful, awful customer service this company expects us to live with!

Has anyone else been "taken" by the 6 million account number changes?? WHat if I DON'T WANT my account numbers changed!? Couldn't Consumers have taken out a few ads on TV and etc to inform people about the change??

Now I owe $600.00 or so and I can't help but think that there is some huge fraud going on somewhere. I WISH I could make my own electricity!

Brenda Schulz

• Ro
        RODGER GAGNON JR Aug 05, 2009

MY SERVOCE WAS TERMINATED WITHOUT RECEIVEING LETTER OF INTENT. OPERATOR TOLD ME THEY MADE SEVERAL PHONE CALLS REGUARDING ACCOUNT THEN LATER TOLD ME THEY HAVE NO PHONE NUMBER ON FILE, SO HOW DID THEY CALL ME 5 TIMES WHEN THEY HAD NO PHONE NUMBER? THEN THEY SAY THEY CANT WAIT 40 HRS TO RECEIVE 85.00 TO KEEP MY ELECTRICITY ON THEY WILL ONLY WAIT 24HRS WHEN TOTAL OWED IS ONLY 193.00 IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD WAIT AN EXTRA 20 HRS BUT THEY JUST WANT TO HIT ME WITH THAT ### RECONNECT FEE THIS IS RIDICULOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I CANT EVEN GET A MANAGER ON THE PHONE TO HELP ME ALL THEY WILL DO IS TRANSFER ME TO THE COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT. ITS MY OPINION THAT THEY ARE BEING UNREASONABLE AND THEY DONT GIVE A ### ABOUT THE LITLE GUYS WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO WORK FOR A LIVING. I WOULD THINK THEY CAN GIVE A LITTLE LEWAY TO THE CONSUMER ESPECIALLY IN THIS TIME OF ECONOMIC HARDSHIP. MY NAME IS RODGER GAGNON JR. AND THIS IS MY COMPLAINT.

• Hu
        huntergeo Oct 15, 2009

Yes my bill gets mailed late but gets paid every month. i have never not paid in over 25 years to these people so for being late they are now punishing. I paid 219$ last month on the 19th this month was billed 147$ and they disconnected on the 14th charged me 517$ to reconnect 300$ for security was paid within 1 hr of the disconnect and here 24 hrs later they still have not restored my power 20 degrees last night with 4 children in the house small town no storms and they said at customer service they were having too many calls to come out. It was just punishment for being late. shut em off for 147$ after the tens of thousands i have spent with them over the last 25 years. They are lucky not to have any competition.

dt52 Jul 22, 2010

Before Consumers Energy makes any changes to your bills, rates, account numbers it states it very clearly on your bill what they are going to change. Why do they need to advertise on t.v. when it states in 100% clarity on your bill when something like that is going to happen. By the way, try getting your electricity from somewhere that isn't regulated and then complain about Consumers Energy, everything they do is approved by the MPSC and if they don't meet those standards set by the MPSC they are fined like crazy.

• El
        Electic101 Aug 15, 2013

Consumers energy seem to consintraited on private work and forget about the long lasting customer they have had for thirty years. 2 days before, discussing the limits they have on cutting a tree on a property line. Consumers assured me they would not go over the property line. Which they did and of course it can't be fixed because its all cut up.
        The customer service should be an automatic recording telling all customers we don't have time for you and we really don't care! That is exactly what I have experienced in a tree in my yard, with no permission and yah by the way, no wires were near where they were cutting?? There is no standard, just a guy that has rights to do whatever he feels like.

• Re
        Reviewer60666 Jan 06, 2016

Been trying to get a Smart Meter for 2 years with no success! They tell me it won't change my bill. That's BS, when the lady on the phone said all Consumers Workers have Smart Meters. WHY?? CAUSE ITS SAVING THEM MONEY!! Maybe my Lawyer can help me out.

Consumers Energybudget and leaky meter

In January I asked to be put on a budget plan I was given a confirmation number for this and my first bill came in at $111.00. I paid the $111.00 then my next months bill was not reflecting the same thing. I called on it right then when I received my bill and was told to give it till next months bill to show the budget plan to go into effect. This went on for three months every month I would call thereafter once again and all I got was from them saying MAM YOU HAVE TO HAVE A ZERO BALANCE! At the time I first made the initial call in January I was on the budget program and was told after the thrid month that my bill was supposed to be $121.00 So I started paying them the $121.00 every month and it still never showed on my bill as being on budget. This has been an ongoing battle with them from Day one! They now since then Have SHUT ME OFF!
      They are now telling me that I now owe them a security deposit of $150.00 plus there charge of a reconnect fee I believe of $50.00 for a grand total now of $541.00
      Why should I be shut off due to neglegence on there part. I not only paid above and beyond what my bill was for the last few months but Consumers has refused to rectify this

Another issue I have had with consumers is for over 3 years I had complained about a leaky gas meter and they sent people out to look at it and told me it was "NORMAL" Well I had a heating contractor finally come out to my house in January and he told me to call consumers immediatly to report it again saying that a contractor had been out and he also stated that I am paying for this leaking gas. Someone actually had come out that same day from consumers and replaced my meter and he even said I was paying for the leaky gas. So I called consumers once again and was told that I am not paying for the leaking gas and that consumers energy was eating the cost and so I asked them then why are my bills lower now than what they were before the new meter? All I kept getting from them was that I did not pay for the leaky gas and was told by 2 contractors that I infact was paying for it and consumers did absolutley nothing to rectify this problem.
      When a customer is told by a company that you are on budget plan and is given a confirmation number, I would expect that to hold up to an agreement. I honored the agreement by paying the $121.00 per month why are they REFUSING to fix this? This is not my fault at all on either issue and now I have 4 kids WITH no hot water, NO DRYER, no stove or heat in any way shape or form because of a clerical error on there behalf. I AM CURIOUS HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO.
      This is not the first time I have been asked to be put on a budget plan and it not been done I have had my service sut off 3 times in the last 2-3 years due to this...

• Da
          Danielle82686 Apr 02, 2009

I have also had problems with Consumer's energy. Today I was actually just searching around because some guys came to my house today, door to door knocking, looking to "lower my heating costs". I knew it was a scam already but I played a long. I wanted to get the word out to not let these guys into your home. I think it was called something like extreme energy and they had white shirts on I think. The problem is, they aren't even getting permission from the apartment complexes to sollicit services, in these non soliciting apartments, so the next time anyone else sees them, play along and call the police. Don't give your information to them, especially your social security number. Better yet, refer to the special that was done on 60 minutes that exposed these door to door salesmen. They are theifs and not safe to deal with, not to mention they don't have the authority do these sales at your door.
          Ok back on subject. You were in deed paying for these services. They don't have anyway of "eating these costs". They simply have been billing you for what the meter was reading (including the leaks). What you should do, and what I did, was make a complaint through your local BBB. In my case, I moved from an apartment and had services shut off and restarted in my new place. The people who moved into my old place didn't have them started in their name and I started to get utility bills for the old place. I kept calling and telling them I was not living there and they said that I had to pay since somebody was using the services. AFter getting 4 months worth of utilitiy bills these people racked up on my account, I contacted my BBB and they took care of the situation. However Consumers was not happy and said that I was "lucky" and that most people would have had to just deal with the situation. My advice to you is that you should go through the BBB give them all the information you shared here, along with your confirmation code. Also, I don't think they can turn your services off if you have kids. I think it's illegal for them to do that to you. Thats not okay. You would think that in today's day and age, even if you wern't able to pay your utility bills, but you did in fact pay, that it would be illegal for them to turn your services off while you have children in your house. Screw Consumers. They are a monopoly that is unfairly overcharging us and taking our hard earned money right out of our pockets. I am sincerely sorry this happened to you and I wish you all the luck in the world with this situation.

• Th
          thiswhtguyforyou May 02, 2009

my bill last year on 5/22/08 came in at724.27$ and now this year on 5/1/09 it came in at 622.13$ and i have this rising suspision that consumers is fraudulently raising prices right aroud tax time to obtain monies for personal gain

dt52 Jul 22, 2010

Consumers Energy is not allowed to profit on Natural Gas. They are only collecting on what they pay out on the natural gas that is used. They do make some profit on delivery and your customer charge, but those charges are regulated by the MPSC and Consumers, as a business, is limited at how much they can profit on your bill and annually.

dt52 Jul 22, 2010

Also, if your bill isn't telling you that you were on their Budget Plan, why would you pay what your bill told you to pay? Despite their error, you did make the mistake by not paying for what you were using.

One last thing, it is actually law in Michigan for you to provide utility services for your children. It is not against the law for any utility to turn your service off. You could actually get yourself in trouble with child services for not providing your child with utilities. Thats the way the law is...and probably should be.

Consumers Energylack of service

I have been attempting to contact Consumers Energy since the 14th of July to have service connected to my home in Saint Helen. Service was disconnected and the meter was removed from the house because the hub connecting the mast to the meter box was broken (it had been broken for several years). The hub was changed on the 14th of July in about 5 minutes. I have made nearly a dozen contacts with customer service and the local engineer (could only leave messages, and he does not return calls). There has never been a problem with payment because the bill is direct payment from a checking account. It has been ten days, and I don't know where to turn.

Consumers Energy — put unpaid sons gas bill on mine

About seven months ago, consumers energy gas company started billing an unpaid gas bill-my sons-to my...

Consumers Energy - MI — poor quality customer service and billing problems!

Consumers Energy decides to estimate meters whenever they don't feel like coming out to your house and...

Consumers Energyterrible customer service!

I called up the oil company about the equipment not functioning properly because heating wasn’t working properly. The dispatcher said they are only addressing problems of ‘no heating’ and somebody would be there on Saturday.

I had called on Tuesday. After checking the heating and realizing that the heating actually is not working on the first floor, we called the services again in 15 minutes. I was told that somebody will be there by afternoon. Nobody showed up till Wednesday when I called up again on Thursday and I was told that there is no record of my calling to the service department. I said to send somebody on Saturday morning because we will not be around on Friday as at least 2nd floor heating was working. On Saturday nobody showed up until late morning. I called the service department again and they said they will send somebody. Somebody did appear in the afternoon. Gentleman commented that there are issues with the equipment and there are leaks in the pipe and something else not working and can only be corrected on Monday. He said he is shutting something off but heating will work for 2-3 days. After he was gone in about 3-4 hours the heating completely stopped, this time even the 2nd floor was not working. So, we called the service department yet again on Saturday night and talked to a gentleman John. He said you need plumbing work and we can't make any such decision to provide urgent service of that nature until Monday. I said our heating is not working. I left a voice mail for the manager – Dave Wagner, who apparently checks his voice mail occasionally and calls back. I left message around 12:00AM. Nobody called till 2:00AM when I called again and left a message at the emergency service voice mail. Nobody contacted me till 6:30 when I called again and left message.

It is 7:22AM Sunday morning, we still haven't heard from anybody yet. We have been living without heat in this cold weather for so many days in the first floor and now, the whole house since Saturday (10th Feb evening).

• Ro
              Rob5135 Aug 28, 2018

6090 belford rd Holly Mi.48442 [protected], 2 companies with bills that are triple Electric use only.please resolve this for me. [protected] or [protected]. 6090 Belford Rd Holly Mi.48442 South Flint Gravel inc. and Aldridge trucking company.inc. Thank you

• Ku
              Kurt phillips Oct 02, 2018

I think it is charging to much money and it ain't fair that there the only company in Michigan that is a monopoly it ain't fair and while this is going on I want my gas back on asp

• Ra
              Randi Morningstar Oct 14, 2018

I deliver the mail and your meter reader people park in front of our boxes constantly. It would be appreciated if you would have a service talk with them about parking in front of mailboxes. Thanks