Complaints & Reviews

beware of this terrible group

I was on a budget plan and they had $1200 of my money for the heating oil season and in January they let my oil tank run dry our house was freezing and they would not return my calls . I call another oil company and they called my back in ten minutes and helped me out. Also consumer was charging $3.89 per gallon all season because they said oil has high when they bought it so they had to pass on the inflated prices to the customers the customers that they were supppose to be saving money by sign up with them. When the new oil company delivered it was $2.19 per gallon So beware of this terrible group.

bill for service I never recieved

I moved from my old address (a house i was renting) to my new address feburary of 2009 however the gas company never shut of survice until 10-2010 and now they are sending me a bill for over 6, 000.00 I have sent them proof that i moved and still they are no help they set me up on a payment plan of over 430.00 per month. ( i can not pay this). But they turned my gas off and i have children and it was winter so i have no choice. I have proof that i did not live at the address they are charging me for. Please help

madatautodiallers Jun 20, 2011

We are from Kalamazoo in a dispute with CMS and now with the MPSC concerning a tale that is too long and aggravating to go into a lot of detail about. I am asking for those of you on this board to please contact the MPSC(517-241-6180) or (1-800-292-9555 for MI residents) and file your complaint. Then, call the gov's office and file the same complaint! We have been told that the MPSC actually has limited ability to force CMS to do anything! They answer to the gov's office(517-373-3400). Why do we have a toothless regulatory agency? That's a good question that a Gov's office assistant we spoke with is going to look into. It begs the question- what recourse do the citizens of MI actually have if CMS is defrauding them? And, one could argue it is fraud if they advertise and promise to deliver efficient and reliable energy- but ignore problems with the delivery that could be costing their customers thousands of $ each year. Apparently we are the only people to ever contact the Gov's office about these kinds of problems. I'm not sure if I buy that, but if you do it and then let us know- then I guess we KNOW we aren't the only ones.
    BTW Arual98- we were told that CMS couldn't figure out the difference between faulty readings from bad equipment retroactively. Basically, in our case it was looking like we would be owed a refund, so they chose to tell us they couldn't figure that out. Funny how they can figure out that YOU owe THEm somehow! You are absolutely correct- it was their equipment malfunction, their QS system that failed to catch it in a timely manner, and their loss because of their own failures. Stay on it and get people you know who have issues involved too. It's really easy to ignore a small handful of complaints, something CMS are old pros at. When it's coming from the Gov's office, a larger group and hopefully a news article or two it gets harder to ignore. We are working towards a formal complaint in front of a judge- so please contact us with your tale. We won't divulge identifying info., but each complaint helps us to know exactly what systems need fixing. [email protected]

double billing

Complaint is about my latest bill with Consumers energy gas company in Michigan. They billed me with a guesstimate for the months of January and February, I called in to record an actual reading to make sure I wouldn't be over-billed later. Last meter reading I called in and the agent did an adjustment, I was charged the extra difference on my bill and was told my next bill would follow that reading of 6705. This moth, I receive a new bill which is obviously doubled with going by a meter reading at 6661. I called to have them correct it and let them know the reading was submitted [protected]. They insisted it was a correct ready and told me they read from month to month only. Although I ALREADY paid the difference, they insist it wasn't an actual reading so they're saying I need to pay the difference? I called in the reading and PAID the difference already so WHY should I pay for the difference again but more so it's more than double than usual. I even told them the site clearly shows I NEVER use that much gas to warm up my house at a STEADY 62 degrees. She became very sarcastic and rude, told me she couldn't explain it any different. I asked her to SHOW me where that difference is, especially since I already paid my monthly bill, AND on top of paying the extra difference in my last bill WITH a updated meter reader? Please help STOP these rude thieves from scamming!

• Di
    Dimples9999 Apr 13, 2011

P.S. Does ANYONE know how to fight this ridiculous scam and who to contact?

&lost& payment

I made a payment to consumers and they charged me a $6.25 fee for paying with my debit card. Got another bill for it and they failed to put my payment on my account. Even with the confirmation number they gave me and my bank statement showing they payment, they have yet to add it to my account and still say is due. Have spent much time on the phone with them, they are extremely rude and have no idea what they are doing. I wish we could get another electric company, it should be illegal that i can only use this one.

budget plan scam

DON'T DO THE BUDGET PLAN - IT IS A SCAM! I signed up for the budget plan and for the past year paid $88...

service and safety

ME AND MY HUSBAND SMELLED GAS FUMES IN OUR BASEMENT WE THEN CONTACTED CONSUMERS ENERGY. THEY ARRIVED WITHIN THE HOUR AND FOUND 2 GAS LEAKS IN 2 PIPE CONNECTIONS AND SHUT OFF OUR GAS AND LEFT WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO PUT "PIPE PUTTY" ON THEM AND TO CONTACT THEM AGAIN TO HAVE THE GAS TURNED BACK ON. MY HUSBAND WEARY BECAUSE HE IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL TOOK THE PIPES APART AND TRIED TO FIX THE LEAKS. WE THEN CONTACTED CONSUMERS TO COME BACK OUT AND RETEST WITH THEIR EQUIPMENT TO MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE FOR OUR FAMILY AND TURN THE GAS BACK ON.WHEN THE CONSUMERS REP ARRIVED SHE COMPLAINED ABOUT BEING OUT AGAIN, THREATENED THAT SHE SHOULD "CHARGE US" AND THEN TURNED THE GAS BACK ON WITHOUT COMING IN AND TESTING WITH THE EQUIPMENT LEAVING US FEELING UNSURE AND UNSAFE IN OUR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY CLEARLY STATE THEY WILL RESPOND PROMPTLY WITH NO CHARGE IN CASE OF A GAS LEAK EMERGENCY. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNCARING OF PUBLIC SAFETY.

outraged at bill doubleing

My bill last month was $122.00 this month it more than doubled to $233.83. I called Consumers to inquire why...

overcharging

On 30 Nov 2009 I received a bill For $241. I called Consumers Energy because the house is not occupied & knew the bill was inaccurate. I was told that they had estimated my bill & not actually read the meter. On 3 Dec I called again & gave them the meter reading. I was told my bill would be readjusted. The next day I received an email showing that the amount owed was STILL $241. I called again & was given the same run-around about the bill being readjusted. On 7 Dec they billed my credit card for that amount. These people are either totally ignorant or just plain don't care about customer service since they are a monopoly.

• Na
    natural1 Dec 03, 2014

Consumers Energy
    ……...…../´¯/)…... (¯`.
    …………/….//……..…….
    ………../….//……….….….
    …../´¯/…./´¯……….../¯ `….¯`
    .././…/…./…./.|(◕ ‿ ◕).| .….…..
    (.(….(….(…./.)..)...(. ….)….)…)..).)
    .……………./…/.….. ../…………./
    ..…………….. /….…..……………/
    ….…………..(…….…..)……...…./x

no service due to balance on previous owners

My business purchased a building that was about to go into foreclosure. We had a lawyer and a clear title...

billing/customer service

I am a traveling nuclear worker, my family and/or I spend several months/year away from our home. For the last 3 years, we have spent the winter months in California. We let Consumers know this each time and we cut our utilities back to a minimum. This usually costs $40 or $50/month. Every year, we get a bill for one of those months for hundreds of dollars. This time it is nearly $1000 for a month that we were not there (gas bill). The previous two years they credited our account after a couple of phone calls, this year they would not. So we filed a complaint (we are still out of state by the way). At that point, they changed out the meter on my house and have failed to be able to provide us with documentation that shows an actual meter reading to back up the bill. Our account is marked so that we can only talk to one person, and that person will not return phone calls.

This has gone on for over 8 months now. My wife and 5 year old daughter travelled back to Michigan a couple of months ago to find that the power had been turned off completely due to non-payment. This is on a bill that is involved with an open complaint. We have paid all of our bills seperate from this issue and continue to do so. When she finally got someone to talk to her about getting the power turned on, they made us pay half of the bill in question and then said that someone would be out in the next 7 days to turn it back on, and they would give us a 15 minute window to be at the house after a phone call. Who in the hell are these people!!!? And why are they allowed to conduct business like this? My next step is a lawyer!

madatautodiallers Jun 20, 2011

paying for someone elses use

My elderly grandmother lives in a house that we own in Michigan. The bills are in her name because they...

billing/refund problem

As a good customer of this utility company I have always paid my bill on time. Three Billings ago they overcharged me (I found out later) and I paid as I always do. With my following bill they showed a credit of $99.79. I have tried since that time, going back to July, to get a check for my balance. First I was told it would take two weeks, then 2 weeks from the billing date, and now still no check. I am on social security and this company has no right to use my money (credit balance) like their own checking account. I specifically asked that they issue check on a timely basis because I don't have money to spare. They will not let me talk to a supervisor and have been totally unresponsive. Do they have the right to keep my money and use it as they see fit? I don't think so. I am writing to the executives in Jackson, Michigan and advising them that service holds are long and inconclusive. Would they wait 3 months for me to pay my bill?

meter move out

want to move my meter to the outside of my home, need to drill through my cedar closet to put meter outside...

screw the people says they.

There is only one source To receive Electric and Gas to my new home and its the monoply Consumers Energy. How...

over charges

I divorced my husband and moved out of the house in End of May 09'. I rented a little apartment and had the power transferred out of my name at the marrital house and turned on in his name. I paid the bill current to do so. Seems as though all went smoothly. The power was turned on in my new apartment. I paid my bills. Then in mid March I received a letter from Consumers Energy transfer department stating that a past due amount was going to be added to my current bill. I called to find out the details. I have spoke with 5 different representatives total now. The first 3 gave me completely different stories. One told me it was a bill from 2007, another told me they have no record of having the service switched from my name to my ex-husbands name. Now they state that the bill was transfered out of my name in late July 09'. Now they did transfer the debt (That I was never notified about other than the transfer notice) to my current account and the stated amount is different than the transfer amount. It is 70$ more!! When I brought this to there attention they said that in between the time I was sent to collections more debt had accumulated. How could more debt accumulate? So this bogus debt was sent to collections but the power was not turned off? Do service provided sent you to collections and still provide you service? This whole thing doesn’t make sense. It seems like consumers is just finding a way to screw me and I have no recourse on their monopoly!!! I feel Consumers should be audited!! And I would join in the attempt to prove consumers fraud!

• Co
    Consumer Friend May 13, 2009

You may need to show Consumers your lease agreement (date you moved in) or a rent receipt showing when you moved. The new computer system they installed in June 08 messed up a lot of their billing. You may have been caught up in that mess. Don't give up. Contact the MPSC at 1-800-292-9555 and state your case. Be willing to provide the information requested and when you get in touch with a representative from Consumers as a result of your complaint, make sure you ask them to contact any credit/collections agency to remove the ding on your credit history. Good luck.

• Vo
    voidancer Jul 29, 2015

Consumers dug up most of my front lawn the beginning of Oct last year to fix a leak and 10 months later despite 10 calls and promises I still don't have my lawn fixed

no fuel

I was on a budget plan and I had $1200 that they owed me in oil they let my oil tank run dry and did not return my phone calls that we need oil. It was January and our house was freezing So I called another company and they called me back in ten minutes and helped me out. Now Consumers will not give me back my money. Beware. Also when the oil was delivered by the new company they charge me $2.19 per gallon and consumers was ripping me off for $3.89 per gallon all season. Beware stay away from this dishonest company . They are not what they say a group made up to help the consumer and save money they have cost me more money then they saved me. And the employees in service are very nasty.

illegally turned service in my name

On August of 2007 I sold my property, I received a shut off notice for the address I no longer reside at due to property sold. Received notice on 2/4/2009. Almost 2 years later. October of 2008, Consumers Energy informed me who request the service to be shut on, the actual owners that purchased my property.

For Consumers to place this in my name knowing and has record of who placed this order. That should not have occured, my name is different from whom placed the call. I'm below poverty level and this bill is not my responsibility. I had to fax over documents indicating the property was sold in 2007, is quite suspecious on how the bill arrived to me in 2009.

Customer service wait time is poor, I submitted the documents to a Stephaine, spoke with her on 2-5-09 after faxing the documents on 2-4-09. indicated they are to busy to review the documents and will get back with me in a week. For information as this, that should have been reviewed right away. I cannot afford an $190.00 bill and have my own bill for my correct resident for $189.00.

This was illegal transaction on Consumers Energy behalf and actions should be taken against this. This has been happening to innocent residents for a long time, it's unfair have this to happen.

• Jg
    JGraham May 11, 2009

There is only one source To receive Electric and Gas to my new home and its Consumers. How can you tell Me I cannot Get service when i have never in my 35 years of life had service threw you? I have a 14 and 11 year old living with me and your telling me I am responsible for a bill from my Wife that had the service on before we were married at a different address and we are not both on the Lease therefore how is it that i have to pay her bill before service is on? I can't access her bank accounts, I can't access her accounts anywhere so how am i responsible to pay them?

You tell me to get a Notarized copy of lease and come in person i did. You call me 4 days later telling me thats not good enough now.

I don't see how this is Legal?

state of mi energy draft

Beverly Woog
2259 Miller Road
Metamora, MI 48455

I sent a State of Michigan Energy Draft to Consumers Energy for $637.07, I
owed them $79, and checked the box, on the check, to have the balance returned to me so that I could pay the balance due that I owed the previous Gas Co.

I have called Consumers Energy numerous times, been transfered from one department to another and then finally hung up on. It is impossible to
resolve this matter with them.

Totally Disgusted -

Beverly Woog

on-line bill pay

Here is a copy of an email sent to Consumers Energy on 11/8/08 at 0845 MST: We've moved from Michigan...