Consumers Energy Logo

Consumers Energy

Having problems with Consumers Energy?

Consumers Energy reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Feb 12, 2007. The latest review Appliance service plan was posted on Sep 20, 2021. The latest complaint Oscillating buzzing in my wall was resolved on Sep 20, 2021. Consumers Energy has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 100 reviews. Consumers Energy has resolved 23 complaints.

Consumers Energy Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 477 5050 (General Information)
+1 800 805 0490 (Business)
+1 855 477 9027 (Landlord)
+1 517 768 3092 (International)
4000 Clay Ave. SW
Wyoming, Michigan
United States - 49548-3017

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Consumers Energy Customer Service. Initial Consumers Energy complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Consumers Energy above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Consumers Energy. Discuss the issues you have had with Consumers Energy and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Consumers Energy Complaints & Reviews, Page 4

Consumers Energy — customer representative

After receiving a bill for over $600 I called to question it. I called 12/29/16 @ about 950 am. The lady that...

Consumers Energy — appliance repair plan

My oven in my electric stove was not working. The hot plates however were working. I have an appliance plan...

Consumer Energy MI — the forestry branch of consumer energy

They cut a tree down they killed last year, I miss the shade tree but I will deal. There is still part of...

Consumers Energymy meter reading

Since the beginning of February, I have called Consumer to come and read my meter. I call every month, because they estimate my gas and electricity . I paid to have the meter placed on the outside of my home. The only time they come out is when I call. So they our aware that's it's out there. My bill was $2, 000. 00 dollars, from being estimated. We go back and forth from them owning me or me them. This is getting old, I understand I don't have to pay estimated bills.

Consumers Energy Michigan — very deceptive & crooked!!

Approx. one year ago this July, I had called C.E., because I had owed like $162.00 (the kicker is...) I "had...

Consumers Energyhouse burnt down still getting bills and we shut it off

House burnt down July 1 13. Keep getting bills we had it shut off we called and called and called. and you said every time Its all taken care of My dad is 84 has luekemia and not in good health invoice number [protected] now this bill is for asp Premium Care Lite.IT WAS CANCELLED...ARE YOU SO STUPID YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO NO NO HOUSE GET IT NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO HOUSE THIS IS OUTRAGES AND ALSO YOU READ THE METER AND GIVE US A BILL NO HOUSE NO METER GET IT DO YOU UNDERSTAND GET IT IS THIS PLAIN ENOUGH NOW STEP 1 no house-------NOW STEP 2 NO METER---------STEP 3 WAS ALL TURNED OFF GAS ELEC JULY 2 2013 --STEP 4 CALLED YOU EVERTHING WAS FINE KEEP GETTING BILLS YOU SAID 10 TIMES ITS ALL TAKEN CARE OF NOW I CALL AND YOU HAD ME ON HOLD THEN YOU DISCONNECTED ME WHAT GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE FIX IT NOW

Amy masonno lights

Hi my name is Amy Mason i have 2 children the both are on breathing machine and 1 child.that is blind.an consumers.energy.turned my powet off and.i call them and they told me that all i had to pay was.101.00 to.get it back on so i did.that.now.they.are.putting to bills together and.they wont turn them back i so sick of.the.tun aroun pleasr.help me to get my power back on my kids need.there machine.please help.you can call me at [protected] thank you

Consumers Energybilling

After trying numerous times to pay my bill online with no luck I called consumers energy just to be informed they do not run their own site. To my confusion I couldn't figure out why, If i was paying my bill on time, I was being charged an additional $6.75 fee? I then proceeded to inform the customer service rep (if you want to call her that) on my confusion and not only did she laugh and treat me like an idiot, she denied being a representative for consumers energy and when I called her on this and ask for someone who will represent the company, she immediately hung up the phone? I am now waiting for a supervisor call back, which I doubt will happen. I wish I had another choice in my area, because I would switch asap. This feels like the start of a really back relationship that I can't get out of. I will continue to post any other issues I have with them, because I am sure there will be a lot.

chew7979 Nov 12, 2012

follow-up... After waiting a couple hours for a "supervisor" to call someone called me back, not the supervisor I was expecting, but a lower level person. I was informed that they would look into the matter and handle it internally, which means nothing will be done, seeing I asked for a follow up call and was told "NO"...Consumers Energy is a useless company that is taking advantage of all customers, I cannot wait to get an option to leave them asap, what a waste of time...

madatautodiallers Jun 20, 2011

We are from Kalamazoo in a dispute with CMS and now with the MPSC concerning a tale that is too long and aggravating to go into a lot of detail about. I am asking for those of you on this board to please contact the MPSC([protected]) or [protected] for MI residents) and file your complaint. Then, call the gov's office and file the same complaint! We have been told that the MPSC actually has limited ability to force CMS to do anything! They answer to the gov's office([protected]). Why do we have a toothless regulatory agency? That's a good question that a Gov's office assistant we spoke with is going to look into. It begs the question- what recourse do the citizens of MI actually have if CMS is defrauding them? And, one could argue it is fraud if they advertise and promise to deliver efficient and reliable energy- but ignore problems with the delivery that could be costing their customers thousands of $ each year. Apparently we are the only people to ever contact the Gov's office about these kinds of problems. I'm not sure if I buy that, but if you do it and then let us know- then I guess we KNOW we aren't the only ones.
            BTW Arual98- we were told that CMS couldn't figure out the difference between faulty readings from bad equipment retroactively. Basically, in our case it was looking like we would be owed a refund, so they chose to tell us they couldn't figure that out. Funny how they can figure out that YOU owe THEm somehow! You are absolutely correct- it was their equipment malfunction, their QS system that failed to catch it in a timely manner, and their loss because of their own failures. Stay on it and get people you know who have issues involved too. It's really easy to ignore a small handful of complaints, something CMS are old pros at. When it's coming from the Gov's office, a larger group and hopefully a news article or two it gets harder to ignore. We are working towards a formal complaint in front of a judge- so please contact us with your tale. We won't divulge identifying info., but each complaint helps us to know exactly what systems need fixing. [email protected]

• Yo
            yoder 03 Feb 10, 2011

how is it when u pay your bill for consumers energy they tell you owe 34.00 you pay that and the next thing you know you are getting a bill for 1200, 00 what the hell we have proof that we paid everything and some how they jack up the bill this is bull and now that i can pay that they are going to shut it off

• Sj
            SJean5 Jul 21, 2010

I didn't receive a bill (online OR through the mail) for 6 months because they didn't think anyone was living at my new house. I CALLED THEM to ask why, now I have a $421 bill from the past 6 months! Customer service there is TERRIBLE! I've called numerous times to get everything situated and they're making all sorts of mistakes calling them "glitches in the system"- but if something isn't paid on my end, that excuse wouldn't work for me! Now I can't pay anything online, so I have to call every time I need to pay because my bill is all screwed up- waste of MY time! Isn't there another electric company I can switch to in Muskegon????

Consumers Energymeter readings

my gas bill has always been in the 30.00$ to 50.00$ dollar range specially in uly. When i received my July bill it was 395.00$ then my August bill was 400.00$ i have contacted consumers and was told they would be sending someone out at a pacific time and date. no one ever showed up after waiting all day. Called again and was told the weere going to replace my meter 2 weeks ago on a thursday again no one showed. I am in my late 70's and terrified that my heat will be shut off. I have my daughter lookiing into thhis for me and cannot figure out where else to go. Can some one please help me i am getting desperate with winter comming on. Thank you Mr. William Biirmingham Katherine simon 6055 Division Charlevoix mi 48439

• Er
              Ericka Tate Sep 17, 2012

My Consumers Energy electric Bill In July was $473.00 read in July it was $95.00 Sept bill is $819.00 This is a read for a one month billing they said they underestimated my aug bill so they slammed that amount they say i used on sept bill .I moved in my home in april 2012 .they say my billing is correct the corporate officer told me to expect $400.00 to $450.00 billing from june to october. That told they will have set up a amount to steal from me i am so sick of them we should be able to have a choice in energy providers. all done they removed &27.00 then $20.00 good faith amount from the $ 819.00.

Consumers Energyleft without heat for 2 days

Consumer's Energy is full of empty promises and lies. Our heat was shut off Feb. 10 due to a billing error. Initially they said they'd have someone out that evening to turn on the gas. A day went by and nothing. Called again on Feb. 11, now they say wait at the house until 7:00. They had a steady stream of emergencies that prevented them from coming out the previous day. Resigning ourselves to the fact that out plans for the day and tickets we had to an exhibit at the DIA were wasted, we waited. Called at 7, again, they said they were still handling emergencies, but someone will DEFINITELY be there by 10. It's 2 am now and so cold I can't sleep, sick as well, so this makes it worse, and this is one of the coldest days we've had all winter. Who knows when we'll get the gas back on. If we call again they'll just tell us that there are endless "emergencies" that are preventing us from getting service. When we asked to speak to a supervisor, they said there was no supervisor on the weekends. I guess all those techs and customer service people just supervise themselves and do whatever the heck they want. This company is pretty awful, and there's no other alternative. What a scam.

• Fu
                FU CS Mar 09, 2012

I had tried to make a payment with my service and the payment never went through on the account. But 2 days after i made the payment i called to double check and they told me the charge went through and it was perfectly fine. but 2 weeks later now my service is shut off saying i did not pay. i do not understand what type of business your company is doing but it is just ripping peoples money and i am fed up with all of this. i even tried talking to manager about the charge and i can not believe the manager will not speak to me. i made my payment and now my house is still freezing after i had to stay home and wait for a person to come by and turn it on but i can not believe he did not even call and left. i am very very pist so i suggest this gets handle the right way...

Consumers Energypoor service

I just moved to a new apartment/house, haven't even been there a month. When I called to have them TRANSFER service, they requested a copy of my drivers license and Social Security card, fine. I forgot to send this with all the moving and holiday stuff...I came home last night to NO HEAT. They shut off my gas because I didn't send in those copies, no notice, no call, just shut it off. Mind you it's about 24 degrees out and I have 2 small children...Well I fax them the copies and they tell me it's going to be 5-10 business days to process my request to turn back on my gas/HEAT...WTF!!! Really!!! Worst business ever.

Consumers Energycustomer service

Consumers Energy turned off my gas service with no notice on Monday October 17th; as it turned out, it was their error, an error that they could not, and cannot, explain. They admitted that it was their mistake. I called customer service and after 20 minutes on hold got a supervisor; he said he scheduled a "Hardship" service call and told me they would get out "right away"; 3 hours later, still no gas. I called gain, waited another 15 minutes, got a snippy customer service rep who told me "if it's not on by 11, it will be tomorrow sometime", and told me that I have to be at home; and it wasn't my fault!! She treated like "too bad, we'll get to it when we get to it and not before". I cut the lock with bolt cutters and turned it on myself at 11:15 PM the 17th. It was cold and I need hot water in the morning to shower. Good thing I didn't count on them to come; at 7PM on the 18th I drove into my driveway and the Consumers Energy truck WAS JUST PULLING UP...so much for "right away" and especially for correcting their mistake.
                Clearly Patti Poppe doesn't get it: but then, she doesn't need to.Consumers is a monopoly protected by politicians; they don't HAVE to provide customer service. Thjey jusy have to ACT like they do.

• El
                    Elizabeth Fox Oct 02, 2008

It took Consumers Energy from the end of May to the middle of August to "retire" the gas hookup to my 95 year old mother's house. The gas had been disconnected and I needed the gas totally shut off before the house was demolished.

My mother was questioned about why she wanted the gas off. It is difficult enough for her to lose her home without those that don't understand questioning the validity of the 'retirement'. We worked hard to empty the house to prepare for the demolition and because Consumers Energy took so long mother had to pay an extra months rent.

I live in another state and had to stay in another house when I was in Michigan. I left message after message and did not get a reply to my requests for a return phone call.
                    Fortunately the demo guy knew the ropes and was able to get to get Consumers Energy to do the job.

I have requested that Julie Havert or her supervisor return my emails and phone calls to no avail. I just want people to know the lack of consideration by Consumers Energy.

Consumers Energy — was kicked off the shut off protection plan

I have been on the shut off protection plan for some time now . well I was kicked off of it when I was told...

Consumers Energy Groupstay away

I was on a budget plan and they had $1200 of my money for the heating oil season and in Januery they let my oil tank run dry our house was freezing and they would not return my calls . I call another oil company and they called my back in ten minutes and helped me out. Also consumer was charging $3.89 per gallon all season because they said oil has high when they bought it so they had to pass on the inflated prices to the customers the customers that they were supppose to be saving money by sign up with them. When the new oil company delivered it was $2.19 per gallon So beware of this terrible group.

Consumers Energy — meter reading

My monthly usage for...

Consumers Energy Groupbeware of this terrible group

I was on a budget plan and they had $1200 of my money for the heating oil season and in January they let my oil tank run dry our house was freezing and they would not return my calls . I call another oil company and they called my back in ten minutes and helped me out. Also consumer was charging $3.89 per gallon all season because they said oil has high when they bought it so they had to pass on the inflated prices to the customers the customers that they were supppose to be saving money by sign up with them. When the new oil company delivered it was $2.19 per gallon So beware of this terrible group.

Consumers Energybill for service I never recieved

I moved from my old address (a house i was renting) to my new address feburary of 2009 however the gas company never shut of survice until 10-2010 and now they are sending me a bill for over 6, 000.00 I have sent them proof that i moved and still they are no help they set me up on a payment plan of over 430.00 per month. ( i can not pay this). But they turned my gas off and i have children and it was winter so i have no choice. I have proof that i did not live at the address they are charging me for. Please help

madatautodiallers Jun 20, 2011

Consumer Energy Gas Companydouble billing

Complaint is about my latest bill with Consumers energy gas company in Michigan. They billed me with a guesstimate for the months of January and February, I called in to record an actual reading to make sure I wouldn't be over-billed later. Last meter reading I called in and the agent did an adjustment, I was charged the extra difference on my bill and was told my next bill would follow that reading of 6705. This moth, I receive a new bill which is obviously doubled with going by a meter reading at 6661. I called to have them correct it and let them know the reading was submitted [protected]. They insisted it was a correct ready and told me they read from month to month only. Although I ALREADY paid the difference, they insist it wasn't an actual reading so they're saying I need to pay the difference? I called in the reading and PAID the difference already so WHY should I pay for the difference again but more so it's more than double than usual. I even told them the site clearly shows I NEVER use that much gas to warm up my house at a STEADY 62 degrees. She became very sarcastic and rude, told me she couldn't explain it any different. I asked her to SHOW me where that difference is, especially since I already paid my monthly bill, AND on top of paying the extra difference in my last bill WITH a updated meter reader? Please help STOP these rude thieves from scamming!

Consumers Energy&lost& payment

I made a payment to consumers and they charged me a $6.25 fee for paying with my debit card. Got another bill for it and they failed to put my payment on my account. Even with the confirmation number they gave me and my bank statement showing they payment, they have yet to add it to my account and still say is due. Have spent much time on the phone with them, they are extremely rude and have no idea what they are doing. I wish we could get another electric company, it should be illegal that i can only use this one.

Consumers Energy — budget plan scam

DON'T DO THE BUDGET PLAN - IT IS A SCAM! I signed up for the budget plan and for the past year paid $88...