Consumers Energyappliance service plan

C Jan 07, 2018

Recently moved into our new house. Called Consumers Energy to have the gas/electric put in our name. Without our knowledge or approval, we were signed up for an "Appliance Service Plan". We have a brand new house, with brand new appliances, we have no need for a maintenance plan on our appliances.
We are currently being billed an extra $40.99 a month for this plan. We received a form in the mail to sign and return indicating our acceptance of the plan. We did not sign or return it.
There is no way to contact consumers via email, so you are forced to call. You have to wade through a complex phone tree that gives you no upfront direction as to how to reach a customer service human being. I was finally able to navigate it to the point where I was able to speak to someone who said they would cancel the plan.
I am still being billed for the plan. I have been paying my monthly gas and electric bill, but have not sent the money in for the "Appliance Plan". They are now saying I am in arrears! I need this "Appliance Plan" removed from my account and to be credited for its past charges.
Can anyone help?

• Pa
    PaigeAllexandra Jan 26, 2018

I have the same issue right now! They have been charging me for the Appliance Plan for 7 months, but I have only noticed it for the past 4 months. I have been waiting on hold for 45 minutes. I never authorized this and I want it removed and my money back.

• La
    Larry Gasperosky Mar 06, 2018

I have been charged since 2016 not even knowing it was on my bill for a kitchen plan and oh shame on me for not looking on my bill. First of all I never signed up for the plan and should not have to search my consumers energy bill if they were a honest company I have started dealing with this in February 2018 and Everytime you call it's a different story. If I do not get my money back I will go to WJRT 12 news in Flint to get the word out how they are ripping people off for hundreds of dollars.

• Fe
    Feb121956 Jul 09, 2018

I was enrolled in the appliance repair program too unknowingly because I had Consumers pick up our old fridge. Apparently the 50.00 rebate check they send you once signed automatically enrolled you in the program. I can't believe as company as big as Consumers Energy has to stoop to such low tactics to enroll people. I called to cancel the program and the woman I talked to insisted I was aware and that I cashed more than 1 check! I was not aware and I only cashed the one check for my old working refrigerator. Not to mention how rude she was which in turn made me angry! Quit scamming your customers Consumers. If you don't want to pick up old appliances simply don't do it!!

• Da
    Dante Sabatino Mar 28, 2019

Had the plan and came home from vacation and had no heat called the plan and it took 24 hours before someone was out to our house to get furnace fixed. I could of called business next door and they would of been out in half hour.

Now called the plan to try and cancel my moms account because she had died. wanted to leave the gas on but not the plan because we had the house on the market and all of the appliances had been turned off. Could not cancel plan because I was not on her plan to modify anything. Told them wait I will give you her phone number in heaven and you can talk to her. what a bunch of crap needed a death cert and paper that said I was executor of mom give me a break never will I sign up for this again.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices