Consumers Energy company logo
Consumers Energy
reviews & complaints
Consumers Energy
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

105 complaints
23 resolved 82 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Consumers Energy reviews & complaints 201 - 105

Consumers Energy complaints 105

A
Aug 26, 2008

Consumers Energy - budget and leaky meter

In January I asked to be put on a budget plan I was given a confirmation number for this and my first bill came in at $111.00. I paid the $111.00 then my next months bill was not reflecting the same thing. I called on it right then when I received my bill and was told to give it till next months bill to show the budget plan to go into effect. This went on for three months every month I would call thereafter once again and all I got was from them saying MAM YOU HAVE TO HAVE A ZERO BALANCE! At the time I first made the initial call in January I was on the budget program and was told after the thrid month that my bill was supposed to be $121.00 So I started paying them the $121.00 every month and it still never showed on my bill as being on budget. This has been an ongoing battle with them from Day one! They now since then Have SHUT ME OFF!
They are now telling me that I now owe them a security deposit of $150.00 plus there charge of a reconnect fee I believe of $50.00 for a grand total now of $541.00
Why should I be shut off due to neglegence on there part. I not only paid above and beyond what my bill was for the last few months but Consumers has refused to rectify this

Another issue I have had with consumers is for over 3 years I had complained about a leaky gas meter and they sent people out to look at it and told me it was "NORMAL" Well I had a heating contractor finally come out to my house in January and he told me to call consumers immediatly to report it again saying that a contractor had been out and he also stated that I am paying for this leaking gas. Someone actually had come out that same day from consumers and replaced my meter and he even said I was paying for the leaky gas. So I called consumers once again and was told that I am not paying for the leaking gas and that consumers energy was eating the cost and so I asked them then why are my bills lower now than what they were before the new meter? All I kept getting from them was that I did not pay for the leaky gas and was told by 2 contractors that I infact was paying for it and consumers did absolutley nothing to rectify this problem.
When a customer is told by a company that you are on budget plan and is given a confirmation number, I would expect that to hold up to an agreement. I honored the agreement by paying the $121.00 per month why are they REFUSING to fix this? This is not my fault at all on either issue and now I have 4 kids WITH no hot water, NO DRYER, no stove or heat in any way shape or form because of a clerical error on there behalf. I AM CURIOUS HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO.
This is not the first time I have been asked to be put on a budget plan and it not been done I have had my service sut off 3 times in the last 2-3 years due to this...

D
Jul 22, 2010

Also, if your bill isn't telling you that you were on their Budget Plan, why would you pay what your bill told you to pay? Despite their error, you did make the mistake by not paying for what you were using.

One last thing, it is actually law in Michigan for you to provide utility services for your children. It is not against the law for any utility to turn your service off. You could actually get yourself in trouble with child services for not providing your child with utilities. Thats the way the law is...and probably should be.

D
Jul 22, 2010

Consumers Energy is not allowed to profit on Natural Gas. They are only collecting on what they pay out on the natural gas that is used. They do make some profit on delivery and your customer charge, but those charges are regulated by the MPSC and Consumers, as a business, is limited at how much they can profit on your bill and annually.

my bill last year on 5/22/08 came in at724.27$ and now this year on 5/1/09 it came in at 622.13$ and i have this rising suspision that consumers is fraudulently raising prices right aroud tax time to obtain monies for personal gain

I have also had problems with Consumer's energy. Today I was actually just searching around because some guys came to my house today, door to door knocking, looking to "lower my heating costs". I knew it was a scam already but I played a long. I wanted to get the word out to not let these guys into your home. I think it was called something like extreme energy and they had white shirts on I think. The problem is, they aren't even getting permission from the apartment complexes to sollicit services, in these non soliciting apartments, so the next time anyone else sees them, play along and call the police. Don't give your information to them, especially your social security number. Better yet, refer to the special that was done on 60 minutes that exposed these door to door salesmen. They are theifs and not safe to deal with, not to mention they don't have the authority do these sales at your door.
Ok back on subject. You were in deed paying for these services. They don't have anyway of "eating these costs". They simply have been billing you for what the meter was reading (including the leaks). What you should do, and what I did, was make a complaint through your local BBB. In my case, I moved from an apartment and had services shut off and restarted in my new place. The people who moved into my old place didn't have them started in their name and I started to get utility bills for the old place. I kept calling and telling them I was not living there and they said that I had to pay since somebody was using the services. AFter getting 4 months worth of utilitiy bills these people racked up on my account, I contacted my BBB and they took care of the situation. However Consumers was not happy and said that I was "lucky" and that most people would have had to just deal with the situation. My advice to you is that you should go through the BBB give them all the information you shared here, along with your confirmation code. Also, I don't think they can turn your services off if you have kids. I think it's illegal for them to do that to you. Thats not okay. You would think that in today's day and age, even if you wern't able to pay your utility bills, but you did in fact pay, that it would be illegal for them to turn your services off while you have children in your house. Screw Consumers. They are a monopoly that is unfairly overcharging us and taking our hard earned money right out of our pockets. I am sincerely sorry this happened to you and I wish you all the luck in the world with this situation.

N
Jul 23, 2008

Consumers Energy - lack of service

I have been attempting to contact Consumers Energy since the 14th of July to have service connected to my home in Saint Helen. Service was disconnected and the meter was removed from the house because the hub connecting the mast to the meter box was broken (it had been broken for several years). The hub was changed on the 14th of July in about 5 minutes. I have made nearly a dozen contacts with customer service and the local engineer (could only leave messages, and he does not return calls). There has never been a problem with payment because the bill is direct payment from a checking account. It has been ten days, and I don't know where to turn.

Mar 26, 2008

Consumers Energy - put unpaid sons gas bill on mine

About seven months ago, consumers energy gas company started billing an unpaid gas bill-my sons-to my account. My gas bill is always paid, but they issue a shut-off notice to me every time they do...

Feb 14, 2007

Consumers Energy - poor quality customer service and billing problems!

Consumers Energy decides to estimate meters whenever they don't feel like coming out to your house and giving you an actual reading. My bill went from $81.67 to $274.00 because they estimated instead...

Feb 12, 2007

Consumers Energy - terrible customer service!

I called up the oil company about the equipment not functioning properly because heating wasn’t working properly. The dispatcher said they are only addressing problems of ‘no heating’ and somebody would be there on Saturday.

I had called on Tuesday. After checking the heating and realizing that the heating actually is not working on the first floor, we called the services again in 15 minutes. I was told that somebody will be there by afternoon. Nobody showed up till Wednesday when I called up again on Thursday and I was told that there is no record of my calling to the service department. I said to send somebody on Saturday morning because we will not be around on Friday as at least 2nd floor heating was working. On Saturday nobody showed up until late morning. I called the service department again and they said they will send somebody. Somebody did appear in the afternoon. Gentleman commented that there are issues with the equipment and there are leaks in the pipe and something else not working and can only be corrected on Monday. He said he is shutting something off but heating will work for 2-3 days. After he was gone in about 3-4 hours the heating completely stopped, this time even the 2nd floor was not working. So, we called the service department yet again on Saturday night and talked to a gentleman John. He said you need plumbing work and we can't make any such decision to provide urgent service of that nature until Monday. I said our heating is not working. I left a voice mail for the manager – Dave Wagner, who apparently checks his voice mail occasionally and calls back. I left message around 12:00AM. Nobody called till 2:00AM when I called again and left a message at the emergency service voice mail. Nobody contacted me till 6:30 when I called again and left message.

It is 7:22AM Sunday morning, we still haven't heard from anybody yet. We have been living without heat in this cold weather for so many days in the first floor and now, the whole house since Saturday (10th Feb evening).

R

I deliver the mail and your meter reader people park in front of our boxes constantly. It would be appreciated if you would have a service talk with them about parking in front of mailboxes. Thanks

K
Oct 02, 2018

I think it is charging to much money and it ain't fair that there the only company in Michigan that is a monopoly it ain't fair and while this is going on I want my gas back on asp

R
Aug 28, 2018

6090 belford rd Holly Mi.48442 [protected], 2 companies with bills that are triple Electric use only.please resolve this for me. [protected] or [protected]. 6090 Belford Rd Holly Mi.48442 South Flint Gravel inc. and Aldridge trucking company.inc. Thank you

1  ...  4 5 6