Consumers Energy Logo

Consumers Energy

Having problems with Consumers Energy?

+1 800 477 5050 (General Information)
+1 800 805 0490 (Business)
+1 855 477 9027 (Landlord)
+1 517 768 3092 (International)
4000 Clay Ave. SW
Wyoming, Michigan
United States - 49548-3017

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Consumers Energy.

Complaints & Reviews

Consumers Energyutilities

I received a shut off notice last week and I'm was supposed to be shut off Sept 19. I called and was told that they would extend the date first to Sept 26, and today when I called, the recording said to pay $216 on October 3, which I can do, because I get my Social Security/Disability check on that date. Now they still insist on shutting me off on October 23, a 3 day difference. Which doesnt make any difference to me as I dont have a penny to my name. I'm a disabled senior citizen, I've been paying $216 every month on the third.
I've tried all the agencies, they don't get funded until the middle of October and first of November.
I've asked family, friends agencies and nobody can help.
Last week they told me I owed $401.00 to keep me connected. So I went to Check n Go to borrow that money and I paid Consumers. They can't give me anymore until that is paid.
I dont have a penny, and I dont have groceries, I dont have a car to get out even.
Please help extend that payment until October 3, 2017. Please.

Susan Majchrzak
Acct# [protected]
306 Mary Dr.
Bay City MI 48708
[protected]@gmail.com

Consumers Energybilling errors

Our power was cut off on August 4th 2017.
    We were told that we we approved for a Shut Off protection plan. But we were shut off anyways after we had made our Down payment!
    So on the 4th of August 2017
    We paid the Down payment AGAIN as we were told that before the SHUTOFF that we were not on a plan. Even tho we were previously told that we were on a plan.
    So I paid an amount of 267.00 to get back on to a SHUTOFF protection plan.
    That payment was returned so I made a CC payment of 267.00
    When I call into the automated system it states that that CC payment was posted to our account on Aug 9th.
    We also received a confirmation letter to let us know that we were entered into a SHUTOFF PROTECTION PLAN.
    I have that letter from
    Jackson MI.
    It states that we are to pay 259.00 per month starting Sept. 1st 2017
    So we assumed that everything was fine so we paid that down payment by credit card that Consumers Energy claimed that they never got that Down payment!
    But they did...my Credit Card was Debited.
    And going forward we are to pay 259.00 a month to stay on the SHUTOFF protection plan.
    But earlier this month we got a SHUTOFF Notice.
    Stating that our power will be SHUTOFF on Sept 5th 2017
    I have called Consumers Energy numerious times since we received that notice but no one will listen to the fact that a payment was made to recover that returned payment.
    I was told that we should have not been allowed on the plan again so they took us off.
    Without any notice!
    All I am asking is that they honor the Repayment plan as we have no other means to pay this.
    We are both on Disability and my husband is a Senior Citizen.
    Please help us be able to resume paying our bill.
    Even a REPAYMENT plan would help even if you just break up our payments a little.
    Account # [protected]
    Anything that you can do with be a tremendous help.

billing errors
    billing errors

Consumers Energy — having my gas and electric disconnected

I live at 22710 Michigan Ave in Three Rivers, MI. I am having my current home demolished and I new one built...

Three Rivers

Consumers Energybad service

I have always used Consumers for my energy needs. Never have had a problem until now. Im a working single mom, who has always been on one your plans. Budget or Shut off. Most recently I was enrolled in the shut off, with a monthly payment of $138. after the first 18 months of being on the plan. I received a bill for $1, 164.81 with a shut off notice 2 days later. I could not afford that, so I turned to local agencies for help. Salvation Army paid $800. of it. Then I called to get back into a plan. I have made 13 phone calls, talked to all different people, two who were supervisiors . Countless hours on hold. Got me no where . Yesterday I received another shut off with demand of payment.
      What is going on at Consumers Energy and why have they taken a turn for the worse ? Your customer service is awful, your rates are outrages and your programs are out dated.
      Sad that you are the only energy company . I would love to use a different provider, but since you are a monopoly, I have no choice. Very unhappy with your company. I do expect a letter back from you.

Consumers Energy — online bill pay

I have been paying online with my Global Express card and Consumers Energy billpay system keeps trying to...

Norton Shores

Consumers Energycall center

I recently moved into a new place my landlord put the utilities in my name for me the person she talked to told her that I needed to provide verification information such as social security card driver's license and lease. After being shut off because I was unaware of the situation I called the call center to try to solve the problem and they were absolutely and totally disrespectful mouthy and rude. I tried to explain to them that I have a child and could not be without power and the supervisor I was speaking to told me it wasn't his problem what I do with my two year old and that this was 100% my problem and my fault. They gave 0 help and 0 possible solutions and made me feel completely and utterly horrible by the time I hung up. I have never in my life been so disrespected by a company let alone the supervisor. The next day while talking to the call center another employee was completely and utterly rude and this was the after-hours call center I am talking on in both scenarios it's completely unacceptable the way I've been treated in both instances.

Consumers Energyelectricity charges

The electricity supplier has increased my electricity rates at our home to the point that I cannot afford to pay. our bill has been 400.00 per month, and I am hardly ever even there. Our bill has never been near that much, even in during the winter months and we are using about the same amount of usage.
          I called ComEd 3-04-17and they were not able to give me any answers as to why my bill has gone up so much. The energy supplier is Major energy. It seems they make it a practice to try to gouge customers as much as they can I am not paying these outrageous rates! I did not agree to pay such a high rate, they just increase my rate to intentionally try to gouge us for as much as they can.

Consumers Energyelectricity

I am leaving this review from my phone since we are without power. We are always without power, sometimes for weeks at a time. It has gotten a lot better since that Christmas when everyone was out of power. We spent Christmas in a hotel and the power didn't come back on for 2 weeks. This time, the system says we should expect power to be back on in 3 days time! Meanwhile, there is no water or heat and the food goes off.

Consumers Energy — order new aerial power service and they cut the only oak in a field

On December 28th I went to the main Consumers power office on Willow street in Lansing to pay for a new...

Consumers Energy — customer representative

After receiving a bill for over $600 I called to question it. I called 12/29/16 @ about 950 am. The lady that...

Consumers Energy — appliance repair plan

My oven in my electric stove was not working. The hot plates however were working. I have an appliance plan...

Consumer Energy MI — the forestry branch of consumer energy

They cut a tree down they killed last year, I miss the shade tree but I will deal. There is still part of...

Consumers Energymy meter reading

Since the beginning of February, I have called Consumer to come and read my meter. I call every month, because they estimate my gas and electricity . I paid to have the meter placed on the outside of my home. The only time they come out is when I call. So they our aware that's it's out there. My bill was $2, 000. 00 dollars, from being estimated. We go back and forth from them owning me or me them. This is getting old, I understand I don't have to pay estimated bills.

Consumers Energy Michigan — very deceptive & crooked!!

Approx. one year ago this July, I had called C.E., because I had owed like $162.00 (the kicker is...) I "had...

Consumers Energyhouse burnt down still getting bills and we shut it off

House burnt down July 1 13. Keep getting bills we had it shut off we called and called and called. and you said every time Its all taken care of My dad is 84 has luekemia and not in good health invoice number [protected] now this bill is for asp Premium Care Lite.IT WAS CANCELLED...ARE YOU SO STUPID YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO NO NO HOUSE GET IT NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO HOUSE THIS IS OUTRAGES AND ALSO YOU READ THE METER AND GIVE US A BILL NO HOUSE NO METER GET IT DO YOU UNDERSTAND GET IT IS THIS PLAIN ENOUGH NOW STEP 1 no house-------NOW STEP 2 NO METER---------STEP 3 WAS ALL TURNED OFF GAS ELEC JULY 2 2013 --STEP 4 CALLED YOU EVERTHING WAS FINE KEEP GETTING BILLS YOU SAID 10 TIMES ITS ALL TAKEN CARE OF NOW I CALL AND YOU HAD ME ON HOLD THEN YOU DISCONNECTED ME WHAT GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE FIX IT NOW

Amy masonno lights

Hi my name is Amy Mason i have 2 children the both are on breathing machine and 1 child.that is blind.an consumers.energy.turned my powet off and.i call them and they told me that all i had to pay was.101.00 to.get it back on so i did.that.now.they.are.putting to bills together and.they wont turn them back i so sick of.the.tun aroun pleasr.help me to get my power back on my kids need.there machine.please help.you can call me at [protected] thank you

Consumers Energybilling

After trying numerous times to pay my bill online with no luck I called consumers energy just to be informed they do not run their own site. To my confusion I couldn't figure out why, If i was paying my bill on time, I was being charged an additional $6.75 fee? I then proceeded to inform the customer service rep (if you want to call her that) on my confusion and not only did she laugh and treat me like an idiot, she denied being a representative for consumers energy and when I called her on this and ask for someone who will represent the company, she immediately hung up the phone? I am now waiting for a supervisor call back, which I doubt will happen. I wish I had another choice in my area, because I would switch asap. This feels like the start of a really back relationship that I can't get out of. I will continue to post any other issues I have with them, because I am sure there will be a lot.

• Sj
                        SJean5 Jul 21, 2010

I didn't receive a bill (online OR through the mail) for 6 months because they didn't think anyone was living at my new house. I CALLED THEM to ask why, now I have a $421 bill from the past 6 months! Customer service there is TERRIBLE! I've called numerous times to get everything situated and they're making all sorts of mistakes calling them "glitches in the system"- but if something isn't paid on my end, that excuse wouldn't work for me! Now I can't pay anything online, so I have to call every time I need to pay because my bill is all screwed up- waste of MY time! Isn't there another electric company I can switch to in Muskegon????

• Yo
                        yoder 03 Feb 10, 2011

how is it when u pay your bill for consumers energy they tell you owe 34.00 you pay that and the next thing you know you are getting a bill for 1200, 00 what the hell we have proof that we paid everything and some how they jack up the bill this is bull and now that i can pay that they are going to shut it off

madatautodiallers Jun 20, 2011

We are from Kalamazoo in a dispute with CMS and now with the MPSC concerning a tale that is too long and aggravating to go into a lot of detail about. I am asking for those of you on this board to please contact the MPSC([protected]) or [protected] for MI residents) and file your complaint. Then, call the gov's office and file the same complaint! We have been told that the MPSC actually has limited ability to force CMS to do anything! They answer to the gov's office([protected]). Why do we have a toothless regulatory agency? That's a good question that a Gov's office assistant we spoke with is going to look into. It begs the question- what recourse do the citizens of MI actually have if CMS is defrauding them? And, one could argue it is fraud if they advertise and promise to deliver efficient and reliable energy- but ignore problems with the delivery that could be costing their customers thousands of $ each year. Apparently we are the only people to ever contact the Gov's office about these kinds of problems. I'm not sure if I buy that, but if you do it and then let us know- then I guess we KNOW we aren't the only ones.
                        BTW Arual98- we were told that CMS couldn't figure out the difference between faulty readings from bad equipment retroactively. Basically, in our case it was looking like we would be owed a refund, so they chose to tell us they couldn't figure that out. Funny how they can figure out that YOU owe THEm somehow! You are absolutely correct- it was their equipment malfunction, their QS system that failed to catch it in a timely manner, and their loss because of their own failures. Stay on it and get people you know who have issues involved too. It's really easy to ignore a small handful of complaints, something CMS are old pros at. When it's coming from the Gov's office, a larger group and hopefully a news article or two it gets harder to ignore. We are working towards a formal complaint in front of a judge- so please contact us with your tale. We won't divulge identifying info., but each complaint helps us to know exactly what systems need fixing. [protected]@gmail.com

chew7979 Nov 12, 2012

follow-up... After waiting a couple hours for a "supervisor" to call someone called me back, not the supervisor I was expecting, but a lower level person. I was informed that they would look into the matter and handle it internally, which means nothing will be done, seeing I asked for a follow up call and was told "NO"...Consumers Energy is a useless company that is taking advantage of all customers, I cannot wait to get an option to leave them asap, what a waste of time...

Consumers Energymeter readings

my gas bill has always been in the 30.00$ to 50.00$ dollar range specially in uly. When i received my July bill it was 395.00$ then my August bill was 400.00$ i have contacted consumers and was told they would be sending someone out at a pacific time and date. no one ever showed up after waiting all day. Called again and was told the weere going to replace my meter 2 weeks ago on a thursday again no one showed. I am in my late 70's and terrified that my heat will be shut off. I have my daughter lookiing into thhis for me and cannot figure out where else to go. Can some one please help me i am getting desperate with winter comming on. Thank you Mr. William Biirmingham Katherine simon 6055 Division Charlevoix mi 48439

• Er
                          Ericka Tate Sep 17, 2012

My Consumers Energy electric Bill In July was $473.00 read in July it was $95.00 Sept bill is $819.00 This is a read for a one month billing they said they underestimated my aug bill so they slammed that amount they say i used on sept bill .I moved in my home in april 2012 .they say my billing is correct the corporate officer told me to expect $400.00 to $450.00 billing from june to october. That told they will have set up a amount to steal from me i am so sick of them we should be able to have a choice in energy providers. all done they removed &27.00 then $20.00 good faith amount from the $ 819.00.

Consumers Energyleft without heat for 2 days

Consumer's Energy is full of empty promises and lies. Our heat was shut off Feb. 10 due to a billing error. Initially they said they'd have someone out that evening to turn on the gas. A day went by and nothing. Called again on Feb. 11, now they say wait at the house until 7:00. They had a steady stream of emergencies that prevented them from coming out the previous day. Resigning ourselves to the fact that out plans for the day and tickets we had to an exhibit at the DIA were wasted, we waited. Called at 7, again, they said they were still handling emergencies, but someone will DEFINITELY be there by 10. It's 2 am now and so cold I can't sleep, sick as well, so this makes it worse, and this is one of the coldest days we've had all winter. Who knows when we'll get the gas back on. If we call again they'll just tell us that there are endless "emergencies" that are preventing us from getting service. When we asked to speak to a supervisor, they said there was no supervisor on the weekends. I guess all those techs and customer service people just supervise themselves and do whatever the heck they want. This company is pretty awful, and there's no other alternative. What a scam.

• Fu
                            FU CS Mar 09, 2012

I had tried to make a payment with my service and the payment never went through on the account. But 2 days after i made the payment i called to double check and they told me the charge went through and it was perfectly fine. but 2 weeks later now my service is shut off saying i did not pay. i do not understand what type of business your company is doing but it is just ripping peoples money and i am fed up with all of this. i even tried talking to manager about the charge and i can not believe the manager will not speak to me. i made my payment and now my house is still freezing after i had to stay home and wait for a person to come by and turn it on but i can not believe he did not even call and left. i am very very pist so i suggest this gets handle the right way...

Consumers Energypoor service

I just moved to a new apartment/house, haven't even been there a month. When I called to have them TRANSFER service, they requested a copy of my drivers license and Social Security card, fine. I forgot to send this with all the moving and holiday stuff...I came home last night to NO HEAT. They shut off my gas because I didn't send in those copies, no notice, no call, just shut it off. Mind you it's about 24 degrees out and I have 2 small children...Well I fax them the copies and they tell me it's going to be 5-10 business days to process my request to turn back on my gas/HEAT...WT[censored] Really!!! Worst business ever.