Walmart / unsatisfactory number of handicap carts

My mother was recently injured in an accident that has caused her to be in a wheelchair. We went to go shopping at Walmart and discovered that they had an insufficient number of motorized handicap carts. Because of this, Walmart lost over $200 of merchandise sales from my mother and I, along with the five other people we saw as we were leaving that would not be able to find another cart available. Not to mention the others that we did not see.

Upon asking for a cart, we were told rather rudely, may I add, "You are more than welcome to wait for 2 hours until a cart becomes available." Meaning, there were only 2 carts working at the time. One was in use while the other was charging. Where were the other carts you may ask? In the shop.

Walmart is a very large corporation. By not having a sufficient number of wheelchair accessible carts, they not only lose business but also give themselves a bad name. I was treated very rudely by the workers, which in and of itself is not right. Especially when those rude workers were the greeters standing by the door.

Walmart probably lost a few thousand dollars simply because they were not fully prepared for business that day to handicap people. That may seem like a drop-in-the-bucket for such a large company, but it is going to become a ripple effect. Because my mother and I are no longer going to shop there. Nor are our friends. If Walmart does not become more prepared to handle customers such as my Mother, they are going to continue to lose business.

All it will take is to buy a few more rolling carts, and Walmart will have much happier and satisified customers.

Comments

Ma
  17th of Aug, 2007

On my last 2 trips to WalMart in Granbury, TX. 76048, there were no riding carts available, and another customer was waiting for one. Granbury is a retirement community, and WM should be prepared for more than normal handicaps.

I could not find a customer service section on their Home Page.

An
  16th of Jan, 2009

I'm sorry for your mother's situation, ma'am, but stores aren't required by any statute (or moral, for that matter) to provide a motor scooter for anyone. If your mother isn't terribly mobile, why don't you take the initiative of purchasing a motor scooter yourself. Walmart providing them is a luxury, not a right.