Walgreens / return of recalled medications

1 Knoxville, TN, United States

I recently purchased Valsartan tablets at the local Walgreens store (on Campbell Station Road in Knoxville, TN) based on my primary care doctor's prescription. We subsequently learned (not from Walgreens) that these tablets were recalled by the FDA and obtained a replacement (alternative drug) prescription from my primary care doctor, which we filled at Express Scripps. I attempted to return the Valsartan to the Walgreens store where they were purchased (rather than dispose of them myself because of concerns associated with inappropriate disposal) and was told by the store employees that they did not take returns of recalled medicine at that location. They insisted that I had to take the pills to another Walgreens store several miles distant to dispose of them. Thus they put the burden on me to transport these pills to the other location and/or dispose of them in an improper and possibly environmentally unsound manner. This seems to me to be a clear case of misplaced administrative avoidance of responsibility. Thus I am very disappointed in Walgreen's attitude toward accepting responsibility for such a socially important issue, and I will go out of my way in the future to avoid doing business with them.

Ch