Uhaul / gas gouge to diagram is backwards!

I recently rented a truck for a one way 160 mile move. You're given a copy of the contract and on it is this little diagram of the gas gouge. You're then told to be sure it matches what's in the truck and explained their refueling fees if you return it less than they gave it to you.

BEWARE - THE DIAGRAM IS BACKWARDS.

The gauge matched the contract diagram but after 58 miles I was on E and looking for a gas station. I coudln't believe it. They said it was more than 3/4 full and I checked it to the diagram. Both lines were in the same place.

Well, upon closer looks I found the reason. The E and F on the diagram are opposite from the truck... or any car. While the lines were in the same place on the diagram to the truck, the Es and Fs were not. I was given a truck with less than a 1/4 of a tank, just the opposite than what I was told and what I had signed in agreement.

It is misleading and it may cause people to fill up more than they should or be charged refueling fees.

Comments

• He
      25th of Mar, 2009

Yes the diagram is backwards. They told me I had to have it at half tank. The diagram shows it Empty to Full from left to right. I got in the vehicle and the gauge was just past the half mark to the right. I figured it was over. I put only 20 miles on the vehicle and put in 3 gallons. (this was a 10ft V8 next up from a cargo van). I looked at the gauge as I left the gas station and it was sitting at the half way point. I figured to be on the safe side I would put in more gas. I stopped at the next gas station and put in another 2.5 gallons. I was a bit confused when I got in and it was a bit over the half way point twords the left. I then realized the full point was on the left and that I had got a vehicle with less than half tank. No worries I thought, it was just a couple of bucks. I just got my statement from them and they said I returned the vehicle only 3/8 full. I put on 20 miles and pumped 5.5 gallons in. I don't get how that is right. The fee they charged me was 50 dollars. That is outragous for the rental with mileage is only around 30 dollars. They are a scam.

• La
      7th of Apr, 2009

Not all of them are that way. Most of them are the exact way that it should be. Some of the newer models such as the Cargo Van are backwards. You just have to pay attention.

• Sc
      2nd of May, 2011

I just rented a uhaul truck and the gas gauge was also backwards. I've never seen this before so I didn't look too close. It seems they should at least warn you that some of the gauges are reversed.