Sonic Drive Thru / waters

1 Mesa, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 480-964-8380

I went to Sonic and ordered 4 small waters and a route 44 cup of ice. I know the ice I have to pay for, but since when do I have to pay for tap water? I have no air conditioning in my car and my 3 kids were with me and dying of heat. All we wanted was some water to drink. They charged me $2.53 for those 4 SMALL waters and route 44 cup of ice. I told they carhop you can't charge for water, and he said things have changed and they charge for it now. I called the store and complained and they said there is no law in Arizona saying they can't charge for water. I told him that was ridiculous and they have never charged me before for waters, and he said if you order food, they don't charge for a small, but if you don't order anything, they charge you.

Comments

• Ki
      3rd of Feb, 2009

I have been in the food industry for 25 years - and I support Sonic. So why did you go to Sonic and not a conveinance store - because you know you have to pay there? Do you realize that the cup cost money, the city charges Sonic for the water, that Sonic has to pay rent on that building-where you free water flows to. They have to pay the server to bring the water to your car, they have to pay insurance in case someone slips or falls or something else, they have to pay for the electrcity you used to talk through the ordering system, and for the lights. And they have to pay for the sanitation of the trash you place in their bins (assuming you didn't throw on the ground) lets not forget the taxes they pay as well. So to assume you deserve something for free because you always got it for free, maybe you shouldgo back to Sonic and pay them for all the times you got something for "free"...

13th of Apr, 2009

Kudos, Kimo. Also, it's not "tap water" as in it does not come out of a kitchen sink. It comes out of the quicksilver tower, along with the juices and some other flavors. So what if a ton of kids came up to the patio and ordered 20 small waters? They shouldn't be charged? Or they should, but not you? Sorry, but you don't deserve special treatment.

• Tr
      26th of May, 2009

here was a time that most fast food places charged for the cup, but not the water. People paid without a problem. Maybe this is a good solution.

29th of May, 2009

at our sonic we charge for the cup, hey after ya buy it you can keep coming back for more free water