Sixt Car Rental / insurance fraud

1 Germany Review updated:

We had rented a car from Sixt for a weekend. I had paid for the most expensive insurance possible, covering everything with my liability up to 100 euros only.

Just before returning a car, my wife made a scratch on a door on a parking lot. We had told so to a Sixt employee, she had taken a picture and helped us to fill an accident report form.

2 weeks later we've rented similar car at the same place, and asked the girl if it's ok with our previous accident report processing. She said yes.

3 months later, we've received a mail stating that we have to pay them 4000 dollars to cover the painting of the door we've scratched. They gave us 5 days to do that. They say the insurance does not cover the scratch because we have refused to write an accident report (the form Sixt employee had helped us to fill)

Iz

Comments

11th of Jul, 2009

As long as you had insurance from them, you should be covered. Explain you had insurance, reiterate you filled out the form, and if all else fails, never rent from them again.

• Go
      7th of Dec, 2010

I am dealing with sixt right now. I rented for a week in Berlin in Jul 2010. When I returned the car I asked the check in girl to inspect for damage. Everything AOK. In November I get a letter from sixt demanding $450 euros for damages ($450 insurance deductable for abt. $1500 damage) no wreck only minor scratches which should be handled with "touch-up paint". They continue to demand payment. I cannot pay good money for false accusations.
    The pictures they sent from November show some evidence the car was used hard by others since my July rental.

• Xb
      30th of Apr, 2014

Try to stay away from Sixt, they will try to scam you any chance they get. Or at least get the full insurance. They sent a damage claim to me a month after the rental claiming damages for repainting the door because of a scratch. Needless to say, the scratch was not caused by me. I dropped the car off out of office hours and did not take the full insurance, making me a perfect candidate for this type of fraud. They sent me proof of damage in form of unsigned pick-up report and a few low quality photos with no dates. After a few months of communication and refusal of responsibility, I was presented with a bill for 1000 EUR.

12th of Jun, 2017

Don't rent from SIXT just poor customer service and nothing is told up front