Having problems with Sixt?

Sixt reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 1, 2008. The latest review Fraud was posted on May 26, 2021. The latest complaint reembolso reserva cancelada was resolved on Apr 04, 2017. Sixt has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 219 reviews. Sixt has resolved 42 complaints.

Sixt Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 749 8227 (United States)
+44 844 248 6620 (United Kingdom)
+353 12 352 030 (Ireland)
+43 810 977 424 (Austria)
+32 70 225 800 (Belgium)
+420 222 324 995 (Czech Republic)
+45 32 481 100 (Denmark)
+39 665 2111 (Italy)
+31 235 698 656 (Netherlands)
+351 217 998 701 (Portugal)
+40 372 372 005 (Romania)
+41 848 884 444 (Switzerland)
+973 17 711 770 (Bahrain)
+966 12 197 171 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 64 239 566 (Singapore)
+27 112 309 990 (South Africa)
+82 234 520 001 (South Korea)
+94 112 870 870 (Sri Lanka)
+66 27 932 300 (Thailand)
+54 114 815 2223 (Argentina)
+59 829 032 267 (Uruguay)
Zugspitzstraße 1

145 Soseaua Bucuresti-Ploiesti, 1 Bucharest, 013686 Romania

Russia
Leninskij prospect, 113/1, office 706C, 117198 Moscow, Russia

Spain
Calle del Canal de Sant Jordi 29, Local 2, Poligono son Oms, 07610 Palma de Mallorca

Sweden

Cumhuriyet Bulvari № 141a, 35220 Alsancak, Izmir - Turkey

Bahrain
P.O. Box 75104 Manama - Bahrain, Kingdom of Bahrain

China
Room 2316, Jiaxin Building, Jinsha Road № 92, Jinping District, 515041, Shantou, PR China

India
Kochuveedu, H. №AMC/13/680, Chandanakkavu, Pazhaveedu, Alappuzha Dist - 688009, Kerala State, India

Qatar

Peru

Av. La Paz Nro. 745 Miraflores, Lima 18, Peru

Uruguay
Mercedes 1422 Bis, 11200, Montevideo, Uruguay

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Sixt Customer Service. Initial Sixt complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Sixt above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Sixt. Discuss the issues you have had with Sixt and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Sixt Complaints & Reviews

Jun 20, 2019

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Car — emergency support service for sixt

We rented a car from pisa airport. Reservation number [protected]. First, we had to wait 40 mins to get the...

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carrental car

Dear Sirs,

I have recently rented a car from Sixt at Dublin airport (RA 5570937). I am an experienced and prudent driver, even driving on the left side. I have had the car for 10 minutes (!), driving not more than 3km, and white smoke came out of the engine. I have called roadside assistance immediately. They suggested that maybe I had started in third gear, but I am 100% positive that I did not, it was 1st gear. I am well versed in handling manual cars. I have reported that to the rental desk and signed a paper that I deny any responsibility. I had doubts about the car, because there was actually a half empty box of grapes on the co-driver seat when I picked it up; I had doubts the car was ready, but as there is no one attending in the car OCLC I took it and drove to my hotel. Now I see that Sixt charged the guarantee fee of 1.500 EUR. I deny any responsibility for this damage and would suggest that the car was not in good condition at pick up.

I would ask Sixt to release the guarantee fee to me.

Kind regards

Michael Steidl

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carcar rental wrong charges

I had the misfortune to rent a car with the company Sixt from Portugal from 23rd to 24th of May 2019, Invoice Car Rental [protected] SIXT PORTUGAL.

The car was picked up in Lisbon and delivered in Porto, both cities in Portugal.

When delivering the car in Porto the attendant informed me that everything would be alright, but to my surprise last 29/05 I received an email from Sixt wanting to charge me the exorbitant value of 1741.09€.

Unfortunately the company has no way of clarifying by phone, only by email and the same is done in a very time consuming process and with little clarity by their replays.

I will number some points that I have questioned them and I had very little clarification:

1- Picture where it shows the scratch is not clear (attached), I do not see any risk, much less something that is bigger than 5cm; (since they say they only consider damage as scratch greater than 5cm)

2 - The place where I removed the car (Lisbon) the car was in a dark parking lot, low light (indoor garage) and with cars very close, the alleged risk is in the lower part of the car, which would make it impossible to check it visually the withdrawal of the car considering the conditions of the place;

3 - The attendant who received the car in Porto assured me that I would not be charged for this damage since it was a very difficult place (under the car) and that the scratch, which I did not cause, was less than 5 cm . If at any point he told me that there was any possibility of charging for the same, if he had told me, I would have solved that situation the same day at the place of drop off (Porto).

4 - The amount they want to charge does not make the slightest sense - Value of the Franchise = 960€ / Value of the concert according to the attachment of the e-mail = 171.09€ / Amount they first mentioned that would be charged = 1741.09€ (makes no sense)/ Amount my e-mail questioning the different amount they said the correct amount would be = 45, 91€/ Amount charged from my card without my authorisation = 206, 10€.

I take this opportunity to demonstrate my discontent with the treatment I have received from Sixt, numbering them in:

1- Delay in care when picking up the car in Lisbon;
    2- I had no follow-up on the inspection of the car in Lisbon;
    3- Car delivered was not the car booked, car with many scratches, although I complained they mentioned I did not need to care about the scratches as they would only consider scratches longer than 5cm (I didn't have a ruler to measure every single scratch of the car);
    4- Delay on checking out when delivering the car in Porto;
    5 - Clack of clarity in the inspection of the car when delivering in Porto, the attendant assured me that that scratch (which I did not cause) as explained above would not be considered as new damage to the vehicle;
    6- They take a long time to respond my emails and when replay, gives me a very vague explanation and don't take in consideration any of my points.
    7- Charged my Credit card even though I left clear I did not allowed until the situation was clarified.
    8- I've been trying to contact Sixt in every possible way, but that don't seem to care about my dissatisfaction, nor to go through all the e-mail thread already exchanged between us to analyse my case.

car rental wrong charges

May 31, 2019

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Car — accused for accident (scratch) that I haven't made

On 28th of May 2019 myself together with other 4 colleagues of mine we booked a car (Audi A6, booking ref...

Sixt Car Rentalsixt car rental unsubstantiated claim (do not rent from sixt)

Dear Sir,

We are writing to you regarding the incorrect charge from Sixt car rental, and we would like to dispute the charge.

On the day 6/4/2019, we collected the car at Vienna airport with Sixt agent named Mr. Souleymane Tirera at 21.35 hrs. We have noticed that there were some damages on the car which were not recorded in your pre-rental inspection. We have made note with the agent right away. Nevertheless, only additional new damage at the front sill was recorded in the system.

We also have noticed the scratches at the rear bumper and informed Mr. Souleymane Tirera; Sixt agent.Mr. Souleymane Tirera; Sixt agent confirmed and ensured that they didn't need to be recorded in the form as Sixt didn't pay attention to such scratches at the rear bumper as there were from the baggage loading from previous customers. With confirmation from Sixt agent, we trust in his specialist and integrity. Thus we were made to beloved that such scratches can be dismissed.

This situation happened in front of Sixt office at Vienna airport at 21.35 hrs. Thus, this conversation can be found from the surveillance video at the scene that there were the discussion regarding this issue.
      Moreover, attached is the check out form FB-046-JR. to confirmed that there were additional 10 Centimetres car damage which was not recorded by Sixt office. This can be shown that the damage itself has been missed from Sixt system. If we had not seen such damage; we would be again charged by Sixt. This can be shown that Sixt inspection system is very loosen; thus, this might lead to customer being exploited. We have attached the pre-rental inspection sheet to show that there was the damage missed from Sixt record and was informed to the agent right away.

We insist that such damage hasn't been caused during our rental period. We deny the damage and thus the charge, and respectfully request the matter to be drop at once.

On the other hand, on our previous e-mail, we have requested following documents from Sixth Car Rental in order to reassure that such damage was made by previous renters. However, nothing was provided by Sixt.

a) rental forms for the five rentals preceding mine and all rentals subsequent;
      b) vehicle condition reports for the vehicle for all rentals;
      c) photographs of the vehicle when we pick up with the picked up date stamped especially at the rear bumper.
      d) VDO surveillance in front of Sixt office during 20.00 - 22.00 hrs which will show the discussion regarding the bumper.
      e) VDO surveillance on the returned date.

Moreover, when we returned the car on 15/4/2019 to Sixt agent at Vienna airport, they confirmed us everything was fine and have a good day. Sixt attendants didn't mention any damage on the vehicle; otherwise they would have alerted us.

Upon presentation of the above, we have denied all the false damage charge to Sixt, and revoke all authority to charge our credit card. We have attached the document

HOWEVER; on 22/05/2019, Sixt has replied us an e-mail insisting for the false claim, WITHOUT providing us the legitimate evidences; requested the documents and VDOs. The correspondence e-mails can be found below.

With the provided information, we insist that the charge that Sixt sent us is unjustified and seek for your help to investigate on this issue.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
      Nilapat Chonlacoop
      [protected]@hotmail.com

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carshlomo sixt, haifa

Hi! I took car after paying prepayment through EconomyBookings and came to the office with voucher, confirmed that prepayment is mad and with amount of money to be paid after rent.
        Unfortunately, Shlomo Sixt employees didn't confirm that any prepayment is received by them, at the same time they confirmed that car is successfully booked by this voucher.
        At the result I should pay this prepayment twice in order to hire car.
        Unfortunately, EconomyBookings doesn't agree to pay this amount of money back and Sixt says that this is my issue with EconomyBookings.
        It's very strange position for company with brand history of more than 100 years. I can easily provide my correspondence with Sixt via email if needed.

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carillegal charge

Good morning,

I have been renting cars from Sixt for many years and never experienced such bad service as in Malta.

I was given a Peugeot station wagon with only 700 km on the counter.

After 2 days of driving in very normal circumstances the clutch gave way.

The sixt agent claims that it is my responsibility to pay for fixing it and had me pay 700 euros for that.

I never heard that customers have to pay for technical problems when renting a car.

Please advise.

Myriam Asseily

Apr 16, 2019

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Car — unauthorized charge

I received my invoice and it states that i authorized premium protection pkg. which I did NOT. I did agree to...

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carunsubstantiated damage claim leading to unauthorized credit card charges

Stay Away from SIXT in Portugal!

This organisation is using a systematic process to increase revenue. Neither SIXT Portugal (franchise company JAPrac Rent-a-Car) or SIXT Main Office in Germany show any interest to take corrective action.
            If by mistake renting a car from SIXT, I suggest a change of credit card ASAP after rental to avoid charges that may occur many months later when SIXT simply transfer the charges to a debt collector if their charges are not paid within 14 days.
            Here is my horrible experience brought on me by SIXT 2 ½ months after returning the rental car 11th of July 2018:

At pickup in Lisbon SIXT provided a BMW (in lieu of the booked Renault Scenic) with significant wear and tear and several scratches, paint blemishes and small indentations similar to the one later referred to in their claim. The car had a damage above one of the front tyres which I photographed.
            When mentioning and pointing out the various damages, the SIXT representative stated that the damage over the wheel was already recorded and that other damages pointed out by me were insignificant and the result of normal wear and tear on a rental car and did not require recording on the SIXT pick up-document. Following the directions of SIXT representative, no other damages were recorded at pickup in Lisbon.

When one day later delivering the car to SIXT at Porto airport, SIXT representative confirmed the instructions given by their representative in Lisbon were correct and in accordance with SIXT company standards and that he only had to make the report in order to update the car condition for next rental. I signed the check-in protocol after stating in writing that I had not damaged the car and would not accept liability. The SIXT representative stated there would be no claims from SIXT.

Whilst I in all aspects followed the instructions and directions of SIXT staff, I have been forced to pay 235 Euro (200 Euro for the invented damage and a 35 Euro fee for their incompetent handling).
            In addition it can be mentioned that SIXT did not reimburse me for the faulty GPS navigator I paid extra for.

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Cardiscrimination

My name is Elke Chiang. On April, 2019 in the morning, Scottsdale Downtown (AZ) the lady at Sixt (Olga P.) compelled us to provide an active phone number, we don't have it as we don't live in US. We provided our national phones and email, however Olga said she WILL NOT GIVE the car unless she confirms we have an active phone number. My husband (polio in left leg) and I had to walk for more than an hour that Sunday to look for a chip and activate it….discrimination? After walking for more than an hour we came back with the chip..she called to that number to confirm it was activated!!! Never have seen this in my life…The top: the only calls we received were from Sixt : Olga called to know if the car was OK and later we received another call telling that a guarantee has expirated and we may renew it by paying additional fee!!!
              Again please, I may not want to proceed further…please show us where this condition is PUBLIC by Sixt, that is, that Sixt will not give the car unless an activated number is provided by the customer .
              If we knew this in advance we would have got a chip with anticipation to avoid long walkings with my husband (polio) Thank you.
              Contract Nr. [protected]
              Customer: Alex Chiang Nicolini
              [protected]@hotmail.com

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carrental car

Rented a car. Turned it in & took a video and pictures of car. A week after returning car they billed me for alleged damages. They sent me a picture of damage to car except car in photo wasn't the car I rented. Different license plates and different bumper. They are crooks in the French Caribbean. Had problems in Guadeloupe & Martinique with cars. No wonder American tourism is limited on the islands.

Mar 27, 2019

Sixt Rent A Car Birmingham City Centre — overcharged for rental

I rented a car from sixt for 3 days Friday sat sun and hand back on Monday at same time I took vehicle out...

Mar 21, 2019

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Car — Unadvised deposit not returned

I rented a car from sixt at madrid airport from 15/3 until 19/3. I prepaid extra insurance to avoid having to...

Jan 18, 2019

Sixt Car Rental — little engine oil

I must have driven a few hundred miles and some parts of Catalan . As I am living 50 km South of Barcelona...

Sixt Car Rentalpayment & service

We are sorry to choose sixt car rental since:
                  We rented a car by sixt via internet booking system of sixt for our trip to phuket.
                  *the reservation and payment executed by our virtual credit card 3 weeks before we take the car.
                  *3 weeks later (today) when we came to phuket sixt car rental office in airport, we learned they can not rent the car although they take the payment.
                  *the reason they say it's because of using virtual credit. Because their system need to take the credit card by hand and put it to the post machine when we turned back the car, which is so nonsense.
                  The nonsense point: sixt car booking system confirms the virtual credit car during online payment before we take the car. But the same system do not accept to give the car since they can not hand it a card when we returned back the car. But they say even they can not rent the car, they take the money anyway.
                  Virtual credit card is a safer way to pay online bookings.
                  If a company can not work with virtual credit car, that company system shall not confirm the payment and shall not take the money.
                  How am I be sure that this is not a trick to seize the money?
                  We have to rent the car by paying double and also one full deposite and it took 1 hour at airport.
                  Now it seems we will struggle to take extra full payment money back and ending the deposite when we turned back the car.
                  Seher günaltay

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carcar rent, no compromise, no service

I made a car rental reservation for yesterday through your website. I received the email and arrived at the meeting point of the Lisbon airport (as directed in the email) 5 minutes before 20:00 and waited until 21:00 and no one from Flizzr appeared to give me any advice about the which had occurred. The company's lack of commitment is something I have never seen anywhere, since I had a reservation and I counted on the vehicle to carry my luggage, which generated great problems to solve.
                    On the other hand, the reservation was made through your website, which gave me some confidence, however, even though I got in touch, the clerk informed me that there was nothing that could be done other than this complaint.
                    At the end I made a reservation that did not help, which involved two companies which I can not trust because they do not guarantee the service you propose.

I would like at the very least to have the chargeback of the reservation on my credit card.

Best regards.

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carsixt rent a car scam

Rented car from Sixt in Faro and returned in Lisbon Portugal.
                      The agent had some trouble with his computer so he offered an "Upgrade" ( bad joke). He attempted to sell us full insurance but we didn't buy it. So when it came to inspecting the existing damages the "cool" agent told us that this is Sixt and not just some second line company. In Sixt you see, they don't count small surface scratches as damage at all. It has to be longer than 10 cm and deeper then 0.5mm in order to count. Close to midnight and tired from the flight, we must have overlooked a tiny scratch line on the driver's door. But hey, this is "SIXT" after all and so If we were not able to spot it at first sight, it must be negligible, right?
                      Wrong!
                      We arrived at Lisbon airport and a guy started examining the car and straight he got to the driver's door and showed me this tiny totally polish-able with wax scratch (I have a picture of it). It was so conveniently long to count as damage. He marked it strait away in the form and left me with some other two folks to complain in disbelieve. I did complain and asked the two Sixt officers to look again and they kind of agreed it is not deep, but as the examiner already flagged it in the form, they could do nothing about it. I said to myself, fine it will take some polishing effort, so very enough and asked for the cost. He said it will cost 260 Euro.. And they also made a comment that if I have a full cover, I shouldn't worry about it.

What a bunch of ruthless scammers.

I objected on the form, but have little hope now reading all these other complaints here.

Oh and BTW we have discovered 2 days after taking the car and when the temperatures dropped down, that it has only working air conditioner but no heating at all. We traveled in the last two day in freezing conditions because we constantly needed the air-con to dry the moisture from the windshield.
                      OMG never again Sixt.

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a CarI am complaining about extra charges that I wasn't told about

On 13/9/2018 I had an accident with a Citroen leased car in St. Malo France. Citroen assistance hired a car for us from Sixt, St. Malo. When we collected the car we agreed to pay €200 for ins. excess removal there was no other charges mentioned as rentals are paid by Citroen Assist. Sixt has charged my account €553.68 on 11/10/2018 which they claimed is for insurance and drop off fees in Paris Airport. Now the Insurance paid the drop off fees but Sixt don't want to refund. I want my money back. Thank you

Chris Jenkins

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Car — unethical behavior

Hi I had initially booked a mid size car for my Vacation from 14/08/2018 to 23/08/2018 in Holland...

Sixt.com / Sixt Rent a Carcar hire

Hired a compact car from Dublin Airport, registration 171D40409. No instructions or help with controls provided despite stating I had not driven a hybrid car before. Was told someone would show the controls but just given keys and told where the car was. It was not in the place stated and we had to hunt for the car. The hire was from mid-day 16th October to 20th October. I also hired a sat nav system which failed after only 3 hours. The system started up briefly then shut down. It was therefore defective and not as per my contact for a working fully serviced system throughout my hire period. It should also be noted that the breaks are also faulty with a scrapping sound when brakes are applied suggesting that the pads are close to end of life. This is quite alarmin* when descending.

On Thursday 18th a fault showed on the dashboard stating the battery cooling system required new parts from the dealer. This caused great consternation as it showed an Amber Warning. This has meant that our plans for Friday & Saturday now have to be changed as we will not use a defective vehicle. The next journey will be to return the vehicle, sat nav etc, to Belfast International airport as previously agreed.

Overall a very poor experience Therefore I expect a refund on the complete hire of the sat nav, and full recompense for not being able to use the car for one and a half days of the hire. I look forward to your response in the sprit of good will.

Peter Holman