Sears / Warranty Service / never again, sears!

I live in Brooklyn, NY, maybe not Sears country. I have a warranty on a Kenmore water heater. It failed on Sunday, May 6, 2007, after 13 years, quite reasonably. I called the number on the warranty, which is the same as the number on the website. I had an appointment for 8-12 am on Monday, May 7, but nobody showed up. I tried to find this item on the website, but the connection appeared to be down all day. Calling the number required trickery to get a live person, otherwise all I heard was the message that I have an appointment for 8-12 am. Finally an old guy (not a plumber, a guy in a suit) showed up at 2, but all he did was check that indeed the water heater had failed (DUH, water all over the floor). I had turned off the inlet and the gas. What was that about? The fact that the thing ran 13 years is pretty amazing.

A half hour later someone called from IOWA to confirm that maybe tomorrow a water heater will be installed -- they will let me know!

On Tuesday, May 8, I got a call at 7:30 AM from the plumber, to install the water heater. That's the good news. The bad news was that they will be there some time between 11 and 5. They actually arrived at 12:30, were done at 1:30, and I got in a few hours at work.

Used to be, they showed up when they were supposed to, WITH A WATER HEATER, and it was replaced RIGHT AWAY. That is actually why I had the warranty. Well, never again, SEARS! And I was a big Kenmore fan too.

Comments

• Mo
      25th of Feb, 2008

You purchased a water heater and an extended warranty. The water heater worked for 13 years. When the water heater failed on a Sunday, someone came out on Monday to inspect the water heater to verify your claim and to verify that the water heater was the same one that they installed previously. After the inspection, you received a call within 30 minutes to let you know that they will try to get out to your house the next day and replace the water heater. The plumber called the next morning and told you he would be there between 11 and 5. He showed up within that time frame, replaced your water heater quickly, and left. What exactly is your complaint? Your extended warranty covers the replacement of the water heater. It does not guarantee you same day priority service. Your problem was resolved in about 48 hours. Your complaint actually makes me want to use Sears, not avoid using them. Thanks.

• To
      25th of Feb, 2008

Hello,

We at the complaints board have received your complaints, your money will be returned to you in due time. Send to me your phone number and contact details. We also have a job offer that can put a smile on the faces of people that are agrieved over poor financial services.

Regards,
    Tom Smith.
    tomsmith20002000@yahoo.com

• Mi
      13th of Mar, 2008

Honestly, the fact that anyone would replace a 13 year old water heater under any conditions or warranty is pretty remarkable, yet you're focusing on what you perceive to be an inconvenience? Wow! This is exactly what I deal with every day being in the residential custom homes / remodeling world.. customers who have no clue how things work and have unsubtantiated expectations of what services are to be delivered. I have to agree with the first comment.. this is by far much better service than 99% of retailers could or would offer.

Had you not had this warranty, and the strength of Sears standing behind their product, I would say to you GOOD LUCK finding a plumbing contractor who'd have come out and had that unit replaced within a 48 hour time frame. Oh and you'd have loved spending the $800.00 they'd have charged you on top of that!

Get real. Sometimes I think folks complain just because they can.