Sears / lied to by sales associate

United States Review updated:

On Sunday 10/23/11 we went to Sears Tool Department at Southland Mall in Hayward, CA. My husband explained to the Sales Associate that our Garage door opener would not work, that it made a loud sound and then the chain snapped and the plastic pulley broke. The sales Associate asked me if I brought it I said no, that it was still installed in my garage. The sales associate ask if we had the receipt, my wife said we didn’t know if we still had it, but we told the sales associate that we purchased it in November 2009.

I asked if I could bring it back and he said yes that he could credit back our Sears Credit Card. So I told him I wanted to upgrade to a belt driven versus a chain driven, the Sales Associate said ok and carried the belt driven garage door opener to the sales counter. We went home and removed the old one and installed the new opener. We took back the old Garage door opener and was advised my the sale associate he would need a managers permission to credit back our card.

One manager came and told us that she could not give us a refund, so we asked to speak to another manager, the second manager said she could not refund us the credit and we would have to contact the Service Company for Craftsman. After explaining over and over again that the Sales Associate told us that we could bring the old one back it did no good. Basically they all Lied to us.

Ra

Comments

24th of Apr, 2012

Sounds like the associate did not know what they were talking about. After 90 days you have to go through service. Seems like poor training, not deliberate lies.

• Su
      9th of Sep, 2013

So you inherited this opener from the previous owner and you expect Sears to replace it? By that logic did you bring your car back to the dealer after you blew the head gasket by never changing the oil and expect a new car? Holy jesus you people are stupid! Anything mechanical requires maintianence. If you ignore it things go bad. Nothing is forever. Buy it once and have it forever is a fantasy. I had one guy come in and show me a drill kit he bought 15 years ago. He said he only used it twice and it wouidnt work. He expected us to replace it. I told him if he only comes in every 15 years we didnt need his business