[Resolved] Sears Home Store / sears is now permanently on my s–t list of unethical unfair self-serving retailers

United States Review updated:

I recently purchased an expensive Craftsman (Husqvarna) Lawn Tractor and accessory bagger from a Sears Home Store in Penfield NY. While running the tractor(after less than three hours of use (three actual starts) I experienced a very loud bang or backfire and stall and it would not restart. Upon opening the hood we found that the spark plug was actually broken in half. The vendor provided me with a replacement plug which was installed but the machine would not start.

Obviously there was a serious defect that caused serious damage to the electrical system and/or the motor. I was told by the vendor to call Sears Service number (4myhome)which told me it would take over two weeks to send a technician just to check it out. They would not budge on an earlier date so I called the vendor and indicated the machine was obviously defective and should be taken back with full refund. He told me it was not yet established the tractor was defective and his policy was to charge a 15% inventory return charge plus pick up fee.

I wanted to place an order online at the Sears store in Phoenix on 12/10 11. The young lady that assisted me was very diligent in trying to assist me to no avail. The Dept Manager then took over and tried to assist me. He was hung up on twice by the person he was speaking to. I spent a total of two hours in the store and still was not able to make the purchase on-line. What kind of people are you hiring for these jobs? I am very disappointed and considering canceling my Sears card. I am also a retiree of Sears and can”t believe the poor quality of your customer service dept.

Since I had no intention of keeping a defective unreliable machine that failed after virtually no use, I reluctantly paid the fees of over $300 to return a defective product. I am in he process of filing a complaint with Sear’s and demand for a full refund don’t expect much luck but in any event anyone Sears is now permanently on my s–t list of unethical unfair self-serving retailers. Never again.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Apr 25, 2012

Dear Barmeluke,

We apologize for the unpleasant experience you’ve had with a Sears Hometown Store. We can understand your concern with the quality of the lawn tractor seeing it has failed after being recently purchased. My name is Stephanie L. and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team. To further understand your experience we would like to speak with you. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [protected]@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the lawn tractor was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name Barmeluke you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Stephanie L.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Comments

• He
      24th of Apr, 2012

Find a tractor supply store, they sell lawn tractors and they stand behind their products.