Sears / repair overcharge

1 3333 Beverly RoadHoffman Estates, IL, United States Review updated:

On 10 December, Sears serviced our washing machine. After paying $70.86 for a new pump, we were charged another $141.00 (+ $11.63 tax) for labor. This labor took 20 minutes to perform, which means that you are charging us $423 per hour! You sent out a technician; not a lawyer! This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

If you reduce the labor from $141.00 to $41.00, you will still be charging us $123.00 per hour for labor, which should be more than enough! I have already heard the excuse that you don�t charge by the hour; I don�t care, you charged us $141.00 for 1/3 of an hour�s work, so that is $423 per hour!

I have phoned your company several times to complain, and ask for an adjustment of at least $100 on this $223.49 bill, but all I get is attitude from your telephone reps; they say that they can not make adjustments to this bill.

The matter is very simple, at this point; either you reduce this bill to a reasonable amount, or I will no longer do any business with your company, and I will make it my mission in life to tell everyone I know about your outrageous billing practices.

Do you think that customer service like this may be part of the reason that your stock has been down as much as 86% from its high, while Walmart has only been down 26%? All of the hype that I heard about what a great manager you are is obviously a load of crap! It is my fondest hope that SHLD goes bankrupt and that you are ousted as Chairman!

Tr

Comments

• Co
      19th of Feb, 2009

Sears along with the majority of other companies, charges "book time" for labor. The manufacturer tells them how long a repair should take and how much to charge for it.
    If "book time" on a job is 1 hour and the rate is $100/hr, and the technician completes it in 30 minutes, you'd be charged $100 and the company comes out ahead.

If on the other hand, it takes the technician 2 hours to complete the same job, you're still charged $100 and the company "loses".

You could have replaced the pump yourself.
    If you don't know how OR don't "have the time" or otherwise just didn't want to bother, than the technician's time and expertise were worth it.