Sears Card / incompitent customer service

1 United States

In the summer of 2007, I realized that my Sears card had expired, so I called to have a new one sent. Weeks and months went by, so I called back, and they said there was an error, and it was accidentally not sent out. They said they were submitting the request correctly, and I would receive my card in 7 to 10 business days.

It became a bit of a routine: I would patiently wait, and call back after a couple of months when it never arrived. Last month, I was finally fed up beyond believe, and demanded to speak to a manager. She put me on hold for about 25 minutes, and finally told me that my account was not activated, and she would need to reactivate it. When I asked her how I was able to make purchases at Sears and K-Mart using my account (without the card), she got defensive, and avoided giving an explanation. She had no sympathy whatsoever for the fact that it's taken them over 1 year (more than an entire year!!!) to get me a replacement card, and simply said she would submit a request for a new card, and I should receive it in 7 to 10 business days.

Somehow, it finally worked this time, but I won't be using the card any longer. I intend to pay it off, cancel the account, and never return to a Sears or K-Mart again. I've worked in customer service, and have experience some poor customer service as a consumer, but this is by far the WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. I think that they can't even get a replacement card sent out correctly, I don't want to fathom what would happen if something I bought there broke, and I tried to enforce the warranty to get a replacement. With places like Target, Wal-Mart, and the many other department stores to choose from, there's no reason to put yourself through the nightmare of Sears.