Sears Canada / refuses to disclose shipping charge without providing credit card - fraud

1 United States

I visited sears.ca in hopes of purchasing a new stove for my parents for Christmas.

In placing the order, the website demands payment information and for me to click "place order" BEFORE it will provide me with shipping cost or a total including tax and shipping.

Thinking this was an error, I contacted Sears "customer service" to request the shipping charge. They too, including Supervisor by the name of Marilyn insisted that they cannot provide shipping charge information until payment is made. I'm pretty sure this isn't legal since it asks the customer to commit to purchase and provide payment information without disclosing all fees and charges being applied to the card. If it somehow skirts legal requirements and is ok in that sense, it's most definitely a shady practice.

The Supervisor refused to assist me unless I placed the order and provided credit card information, or waited 3-5 business days for the "transit department" to respond with the cost. Seeing as the sale for the item I wished to purchase is over tomorrow, neither is an acceptable response.

Le