Reliance Communications / caller tune scam

1 India Review updated:

In 2006, I purchased a Prepaid reliance india mobile (free LG handset) connection with some FREE talktime and 1800/- worth talktime from RIM-to-RIM. In a few months, I finished my FREE talktime though the RIM-to-RIM balance was still there. So, I was not able to send any outgoing sms or make outgoing calls to non-RIM numbers. Hence, I was not using the mobile regularly.

In 2008, my FREE talktime balance becomes -21 rupees... how?

In addition, I saw an old sms in my inbox... which said... caller tune "KAL HO NA HO" has been downloaded and you have been charged Rs.15/-. I called up the customer care who told me that I had sent a request for activation of caller tune. I NEVER DID IT... I hate such tunes etc... May I ask, how I could do it when my outgoing was barred?

The customer care executives argue that their computers show data that the customer has activated the tune... so, now why should a customer lie? Who does he complain to when "their" computers show "faulty" data. Upon talking to my friends using RIM, I was told that they too had experienced the same problem. Reliance communications is minting money by thrusting caller tunes on customers.

Vi

Comments

16th of Jul, 2008

Seems like Anil Ambani is getting richer by cheating people of India.
    Activating Caller Tune without a customers knowledge is the most CHEAP way of making money (Rs.30 every month).
    If you call the customer service guys, they insist and argue that the customer activated the Caller Tune.
    A caller tune got activated on my phone number, the most interesting thing to note here, a song from a language I dont know even understand.

Mr.Ambani you sure are following your Father's path.

• Ka
      15th of Jan, 2009

It seems to be a very common practise by the Reliance to earn money by simply activating the paid services without the consent of the customers. The customer care ppl are just jokers any hv very less knowledge abt the system and utter the same dialouge that it has been activated by the customer. Reliance is really screwing up customers like this and earning money.

• Su
      21st of Jan, 2009

I taken reliance SIM last week by submitting all documents, but even after one week SIM is not activated.