Maytag / msd2559xeb04

1 United States

I purchased a MSD2559XEB04 side by side refrigerator in July 2011 new for $825 from a local big name home supply store. Recently, the front fascia (p/n [protected]), which is part of the User Interface, peeled off on its own. The front fascia consists of two pieces, a thicker plastic backing plate that snaps into the UI and a laminated "sticker" that is stuck to the backing plate. The "sticker" portion is the piece that fell off on its own. Since the unit is out of warranty, I decided to replace the item at my cost, however soon learned that the part was discontinued and no longer available. I contacted Maytag directly and was told that the part was discontinued and no longer available. As an alternative, I was offered a new equivalent refrigerator at a discount as a replacement. The replacement unit was offered at $832 + $70 shipping + $46 water connection fee + tax. I insisted that they provide a better resolution, especially considering that the refrigerator was only 4 years old and that they failed to stock replacement parts. I was told there was nothing better they could offer. Be warned, when purchasing a Maytag unit, that parts may not be available for parts that fail nor will they provide a reasonable alternative. I will certainly never purchase another Maytag product again given their potential to not stock replacement parts nor provide reasonable alternatives to alleviate a clear manufacturing quality issue. Regardless of whether the unit is in warranty, a reasonable expectation would be that parts would be available for a number of years after a new purchase. This is clearly not the case with Maytag. In summary, Maytag does not stand behind its products nor is it willing to provide reasonable resolutions for product related quality control issues.

Maytag