Maytag / French Door Refrigerator

Posted:

problems with the ice maker!

4.1
I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.
Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017
Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.
Complaint comments Comments (422) Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

N  19th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
Ref my previous Fred from HB.
I attempted to submit a photo of Ice build up in the tray, but was not successful. I hope this will be successful.
A picture is worth a 100 Words.

N  15th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
This is unbelievable! I have a Maytag Model# MFI2569VEM2 which we purchased 2 1/2 years ago (7/10). Last night the electronic panel lit up with all the lights blinking erratically, the ice maker dispenser door would open and close, and of course none of the functions would work on the panel. I tripped the breaker, it would reset but then start doing the same thing over again. So yes, I googled the issue and a slew of pages popped up with everyone having the same issue. Now, I see that this issue has been going on for far too long, dating back to at least 2007 and it has effected numerous different models of refrigerators. So, it is obviously an issue with the control panel/motherboard rather than a certain model. I had seen a post where numerous people had posted and said Maytag was aware of the issue and fixed it for free. The last and most recent comment was from a gentleman who purchased his six years ago and when he called Maytag they informed him that his Model number was not effected but he was persistent and said he was able to get it fixed for free. I went to bed with peace of mind assuming since mine was only 2 1/2 years old, they would have no problem resolving this well known issue. I get up this morning and call Maytag. Let's say things did not go at all as I expected. She acted like she had never heard of the issue before and there was nothing she could do other than schedule an appointment at my expense or I could purchase an extended warranty for $360. REALLY????!!! I was persistent but all I received was her constant spill about purchasing an extended warranty there is nothing they can do because my particular model number has not had any issues. Does it not take a rocket scientist to figure out that it doesn't matter what Model number your Maytag refrigerator is when you've had over 7 years of complaints on numerous models with the exact same issues pertaining to an electronic panel/motherboard???? Well I am not going to let this fall to the waste side. I am going to actively pursue every avenue available to get the word out about this. I have seen so many comments about a Class Action Lawsuit, I am definitely looking into this. I would also encourage everyone to check out there Facebook page. They are flooded with comments by dissatisfied consumers, including myself. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/maytag
Maytag has really dropped the ball and their customer service is a joke! I wish I would have researched a little more thoroughly before spending my hard earned money, and extra at that for what was suppose to be a reliable brand.
A  17th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
Wow! To think I was about to purchase one tomorrow on sale for 1999.00
Well not now. Not ever.
Im sure the sales person wont be happy with my explanation and a copy of this thread.
N  27th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to Maytag.Digital@maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.
N  20th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
I unfortunately just had the same issue concerning my unit . The unit went berserk, stopped cooling and ruined all my food . I managed to get it outside after leaking spoiled food all over my floor . I washed it out and contacted Maytag after reading the hundreds of complaints.They sent someone out to fix the panel but he couldnt get it to cool . He said many times when a unit goes down that the acidity from produce along with moisture can eat through the aluminum components causing a freon leak . Obviously this happened to me . I contacted Maytag and they said they would fix that too but once I called back they said that it was a separate issue . Then I spoke with another person who said they would send a tech to inspect . I took off work and finally got a courtesy from tech saying he was told not to come . I was amazed I missed work waiting and got no call from maytag saying they changed their mind. I called back in and was told flat out I would not be covered even though the fridge was fine before this happen . I suggest everyone read over the Consumer Protection Act which covers defective equipment causing issues by both injury and property damage . A Class Action Lawsuit needs to be organized concerning this also . In the meantime I implore each of you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your state along with Michigan where Maytag is headquatered .This will guarantee a response from corporate . Also make copies of this forum and send it to your State Attorney General explaining how you have been sold a defective item . They say ABC news once did a segment on this fridge issue also so I suggest contacting them asking for a followup story . For those that use social media, go onto their facebook and twitter page to post a link to this site and the way you have been treated after spending over 2000 dollars on a fridge that has lasted 7 years or less . Its time for small voices to unite to form One that is much larger . I can be reached at ChrisNall82 at yahoo.com for anyone who wants to join in this fight and form a list of consumers who have been done wrong by a Once great company
N  23rd of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
If you have experienced priblems with your Maytag fridge including not cooling, blinking lights, or ice flap opening and closing non stop, then you are probably victim to the defective High Voltage Control Board that Maytag used around 2006 - 2008 or so . To find out go to Sears Parts replacements and look up the High Voltage Control Panel and check the part number .If its 67006389 then you have the panel notourious for overheating and causing damage . The sad part is that when your fridge goes down because of this, the acidity from produce along with moisture cause a reaction with the aluminum internals resulting in tiny leaks in your cooling system . Maytag refuses to fix this issues that results from the fridge going down from the Control Board malfunction . Thats why Ive started the website MaytagClassActionLawsuit.com If you are inter3sted in joining the list of people who believe they were mistreated by Maytag then send your contact info to Administrator@MaytagClassActionLawsuit.com Hopefully once enough names are collected they can be forwarded to an attorney to begin the process . Thanks and look forward to hearing from you . Chris Nall
N  23rd of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
If you have had issues with your fridge then go to the following link and verify if your fridge has this certain Control Board. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Maytag-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/67006389/0046/464/Model-MFI2568AES/3048/0161000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=M0708024&diagramPageId=00009&productTypeId=0161000&searchModelNumber=MFI2568AES&subCompDesc=Cabinet+back%2Ffront+rollers&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=MAYTAG-REFRIGERATION&blt=11&shdMod=MFI2568AES They are defective and if you contact Maytag they will replace it for free . The problem is if your fridge goes out due to this and you let it sit for any amount of time then the acidity from produce and moisture combine to eat through the aluminum internals and cause tiny leaks in your cooling system .Maytag is refusing to fix damage caused by the faulty part so I have began a class action lawsuit page . If intetested in participating then contact me with your information at administrator@MaytagClassActionLawsuit.com
N  27th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
Ive received over a hundred responses from Maytag owners and have emailed several of you back . Some have reported the emails going to your spam box. Please check to make sure our correspondence is getting through . Thanks and look forward to speaking with many of you very soon about the Class Action Lawsuit . My email again is administrator@MaytagClassActionLawsuit.com
N  18th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ChrisNall Hi Chris, were you successful in initiating a class action lawsuit? It is fall 2017 and our Maytag has begun the classic ice door flapping, lights flashing... of course we are getting the wonderful customer service on this as most everyone else on this complaints board.. Gail
N  1st of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
I too have had nothing but TROUBLE with mine. Only a few months after the purchase. I had trouble with their customer service representatives. All have been rude and unwilling to fix the issue. I will NEVER buy a Maytag product again. I basically paid a substantial amount of money to have to make my own ice still and drink water out of the tap. Thank You Maytag for nothing. I agree 100%-there should be a class action suit.
N  8th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at Maytag.Digital@Maytag.com and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.
N  7th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have owned my Maytag fridge since 2007. I really like this fridge. Today, I encountered my first issue with it; same as everyone is describing regarding the flapping ice door and flashing control board. Called Maytag service and they are sending a tech out in 4 days to fix the issue for free.
I wish they had done that with my Neptune washing machine, which I threw in the garbage after 2 years and replaced with a GE model that has had very few issues.
Maytag realizes that if they ignore their buyers, the company will eventually fold. That is why they have improved their repair services and this is a good thing.
D  7th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
Thats a great thing. But hopefully you dont encounter the same problem as I did. Once the fridge sits for several days the condensation and acidity cause leaks in the tubing . You may not realize it right away but over time it will begin to leak down . May take a month or may take a year .And they keep denying any other problems caused by their faulty electronics .Even though the tech that came out admitted the leaks that can be caused from the issue.
N  20th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have maytag model MFX2571XEM. Same problems with ice maker and control panel going crazy and finally stopped working. Purchased 2 1/2 years ago. You would think a problem that has been going on since 2007 would have been resolved in their products. Class action sounds good.
N  20th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
Maytag model MFX2571XEM. 2 1/2 years old. Same issues with ice maker and control panel. No longer getting ice or water. Maytag can't get it right since 2007. Or maybe it's by choice so they continue to make money on a single product. No more unemployed Maytag repair men like in their old commercials.
A  23rd of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
No noises...just no ice; and mine is about a year old out of warranty...Sad how Maytag used to be the gold standard in cold. Now it's a clod. It was taken over by a non-American owner a few years ago, and the quality is no longer American built. My freezer has the tiny pinhole drain that constantly blocks so there's always ice in the bottom that has to be removed. Tried defrosting for 6 hours to unblock the drain, as others have suggested...but actually getting to the pinhole drain is close to impossible, since it's in the interior of the freezer box, way to the back, behind a service panel that has to be unscrewed and detached from a service panel first. Last time I buy a Maytag.
A  2nd of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I am also having the EXACT same problem...contacted Maytag and they were SO rude! Refused to do anything! Now What? :(
A  22nd of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I guess that I'm another one of the hundreds, possibly thousands, with this problem. I bought my Maytag refrigerator, model # MFI2568AEQ, in 2007 and within a month the icemaker had to be replaced. I guess that I'm lucky in some ways that I have gotten this far without having the problem with the flapper and lights however I can no longer say that as it has now started. It started about a week ago doing it sporadically but now it is happening more and more often and sounds like it will be constant shortly. I have had numerous other irritating problems though such as the freezer handle constantly coming loose, ball bearings falling out of the freezer door and tray glides & plastic interior parts breaking. I read about all of these problems from hundreds of people and wonder how a company like Maytag can ignore so many of their consumers. From the sounds of it this has been the same ongoing problem for years and apparently they have made no valid attempt to correct it. I will certainly stay away from any of their products in the future and will warn every person that I see about Maytag's issues and lack of customer support. It's also hard to believe that something hadn't been done about this long ago. I am all in favor of a class action suit so any company that puts this kind of product on the market, knowing that it has been a problem, but fails to react or correct it, pays for it. You would think that in this day and age, with social media being what it is, that they would pay attention and correct these issues as now we can all tell the world and warn each other. I will be calling Maytag today to see what kind of response I get. Better not be "We haven't heard of this kind of problem before". Will let you know what happens.
N  22nd of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
Well I'm back and with positive things to say about Maytag and the way they handled my problem. I went to the FixYa site and found the same issues on these control panels. I also found this number, 800-253-1301, and called them and in no time they told me that they would come out and fix the issue free of charge. Scheduled for this Wednesday. I had also gone to sites to check on this kind of problem with all the other makes and it's the same everywhere. I see the same anger in everyone's comments and I can't blame them after paying out so much for an appliance that we rely on but I can't really blame the manufacturer either as it is a common problem. Every make I investigated has this same issue and from what I've found it appears that it goes back to the way that these control boards are manufactured. The circuits are laid out with robotics and then the board is heated somehow to solder the connections. I imagine that the same companies make control boards for all of the refrigerator manufacturers. In my recent explorations to buy a new central HVAC system as I looked up complaints about the manufacturers I found the same kind of central issues that went back to certain parts made by a common providers. It seems that the more complicated features become the more problems that follow.
N  24th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I first got on to make major complaints regarding Maytag and my Ice2O Bottom freezer. My control panel went bonkers blinking and the ice dispenser clicking. I called the 800 number in my manual and they scheduled an appointment for two weeks from today and I was having to pay. I read a lot of these complaints and got to Dan Garrick's comment from July 22 and called the 800-253-1301 that he provided and they scheduled an appointment in two days and are covering the cost. I do not know the difference but the second person was nothing but helpful and apologetic. So Kudos to maytag for taking care of this situation. Thanks Dan for the advice.
N  24th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I'm glad that this worked for you also Jodi. After as many posts as I have read I was prepared for the worst however when I talked to the person at this number, and his name was Owen, he was most helpful and the process was pain free. In the end I believe that this is actually a Whirlpool site and they own Maytag. You might receive a phone call, as I did, moving your date slightly because Maytag/Whirlpool called the repair company and told them to order certain parts first so they are well aware of the problem. I hope people pay attention to the part of my post regarding the manufacturing of these parts by a contractor/manufacturer that probably builds these boards for everyone. As I stated in that post; as I investigated the HVAC suppliers I found the same gripes for every manufacturer and found that parts are made by common suppliers however the most important thing to watch for in that case is your installers as they are the ones that cause the problems due to improper installation. I know that I was upset about the refrigerator to but know I thoroughly investigate everything. Places like the Complaint Board and the Fixya site are so helpful to so many people and I thank them also.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree