Macy's / warranty scam

10/14/10

My Wife and I purchased a sofa and Love-seat in 2007 from Macy's furniture in Schaumburg, Chicago. We were told by the sales person Evelyn Chua that the extended warranty we purchased would cover all pen/pencil/marker stains & tears etc. So we paid for the extended warranty and was given the impression that the 7 year warranty would cover everything. We were told that if the salesperson was in our place she would buy the extended warranty. We were not told of any other limitations that the warranty would be void under else we would not have purchased it if we knew that multi-colored stains are not covered. Now after 3 years when 7-8 days ago, my 2 year old got hold of some markers and pens and scribbled over the sofa and love-seat and when we called macy's customer service who forwarded us to worry-no-more/Uniters, they denied our claim saying multi-colored marks are not covered under the warranty. They told us that the terms and conditions document mentioned not covering multi-colored stains. The terms and conditions document was not given to us not along with the sales receipt but at the end of the transaction inside a box what the salesperson casually said was a complimentary kit which we really did not need for 3 years and not that it contained important information about the terms and conditions. On calling Uniters, they made it as difficult as possible for us to register the complaint. We were given the run-around between Uniters customer service and their supervisors. Macy's washed their hands off the whole issue saying the matter is between me and Uniters when in fact we not not told that the extended warranty was from a third party at the time of purchasing it. We were made to run from pillar to post between macy's and Uniters. I feel like, macy's and Uniters have through smooth sales talk sold us something that has caused us extreme inconvenience and financial loss. When I went online to post a complaint I saw many similar stories against Uniters and Macy's push to sell these warranties without appropriately informing customers.

Sj

Comments

• Sj
      14th of Oct, 2010

Yeah...Sorry bout that...It's how I refer to my old residence sometimes...I'm talking about the macy's furniture gallery( next to Woodfield mall ) off golf rd, Schaumburg.

14th of Oct, 2010

@maggie, you're correct. But we were handed a cleaning kit which we were told was complimentary and that's it. We were not told there were terms and conditions documents inside specific to the warranty.
    We've never needed the kit, cause we've always maintained our sofa and love seat well.
    And that's where it stayed and the kit got misplaced during my move from schaumburg.
    On the other hand all the other documents were were handed over was filed(sales reciept, brochures, even the salesperson's business card). Also consider this, we were told all marks/tears, etc would be covered, but shouldn't we have been told it would only be BLUE color and no other color. I think if nothing else, atleast that point deserves some mentioning.

• Po
      14th of Oct, 2010

Most warranties cover accidental markings only, like spills and single marks.

14th of Oct, 2010

@TheLoveFist II - I figured you're a joke and to be ignored, and Oh I confirmed it after I read these..

Stop smokin all that weed you arrogant [censored].